Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat Bowlen Resigns As Denver Broncos Owner

LucasOilStadium

Sad Day for both the Denver Broncos and the NFL.  Pat resigns and relinquishes his ownership because of his unfortunate increasing battle of his  Altheimers Disease.   Broncos Team President Joe Ellis takes over leadership of the Broncos, while the Bowlen family retains team ownership.

Get well, Pat!  :thmup:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26199148/

Sad Day for both the Denver Broncos and the NFL.  Pat resigns and relinquishes his ownership because of his unfortunate increasing battle of his  Altheimers Disease.   Broncos Team President Joe Ellis takes over leadership of the Broncos, while the Bowlen family retains team ownership.

Wishing Pat, and his family love and strength through this.  Unfortunately, people with Alzheimer's Disease don't "Get Well", but hopefully with medication, love and support from family ~ he can "maintain" and not worsen too rapidly.   

Wishing Pat, and his family love and strength through this.  Unfortunately, people with Alzheimer's Disease don't "Get Well", but hopefully with medication, love and support from family ~ he can "maintain" and not worsen too rapidly.   

Unfortunately what you said is true. Alzheimer's has no cure and only gets worse through time. Some do maintain better but even that can change overnight. Alzheimer's is a problem that I have dealt with on two sides of my family for over 30 years. It not only effects the person with the disease it effects all who knows the person. 

Unfortunately what you said is true. Alzheimer's has no cure and only gets worse through time. Some do maintain better but even that can change overnight. Alzheimer's is a problem that I have dealt with on two sides of my family for over 30 years. It not only effects the person with the disease it effects all who knows the person. 

I have also been affected by friends and family members with this disease.  As you certainly know, once it reaches a particular stage  It is MUCH harder on the family members and caregivers than the person living with this.  

Sadly, there is no getting well when it comes to Alzheimer.  

Very sad news as Alzheimer is one of the most horrific diseases I have every experienced.  The empty look of a loved one as they stare at you not knowing who you remotely are even after spending many years together is just heartbreaking.

My wife's aunt had been married to her uncle for about 58 years. The last 2 years, he fought with Alzheimer's and I have seen several tears from his wife of 50+ years when that blank look not knowing who she was took place, everytime she talked about it. A few months ago, he passed away and her aunt was at our home for a July 4th cookout. Family support matters during these times, and she seemed to be in good spirits.

I'd rather my body break down than my mind and stay that way till my last breath. Hope Pat spends as much time with family as possible during these times.

I work with those with Alzheimer's Disease/related dementia and their family caregivers to help them cope and maintain some quality of life. One of the hardest points to convey in the early stages is that it only gets worse. Dementia is progressive. There are moments when the person with dementia is more lucid and it gives hope, but it does not last. I recommend enjoying those lucid moments.

Someone very close to me recently revealed that he has early-stage dementia. My training has prepared me for this moment but it is still hard to accept and it will not be easy on our family.

I hope Pat Bowlen and his family get all the help they need to maintain their well-being and quality of life.

I work with those with Alzheimer's Disease/related dementia and their family caregivers to help them cope and maintain some quality of life. One of the hardest points to convey in the early stages is that it only gets worse. Dementia is progressive. There are moments when the person with dementia is more lucid and it gives hope, but it does not last. I recommend enjoying those lucid moments.

Someone very close to me recently revealed that he has early-stage dementia. My training has prepared me for this moment but it is still hard to accept and it will not be easy on our family.

I hope Pat Bowlen and his family get all the help they need to maintain their well-being and quality of life.

Since you work with Alzheimer patients, I wanted to ask you about this nugget of info my wife came across in a Women's health magazine. India has a low rate of Alzheimer's and a lot of folks are wondering if it has anything to do with the spicy food/curry consumed. I know that turmeric, that is used a lot in their preparation, has natural detox properties. Have you heard the same and is there any merit to it?

Mental dementia is so tough. My mom died of Picks disease which attacks the frontal lobe and robs the person of logic and reasoning. It was brutal to watch and it went on for years. My prayers are with Pat and his family. Very tough on the caretakers.

Since you work with Alzheimer patients, I wanted to ask you about this nugget of info my wife came across in a Women's health magazine. India has a low rate of Alzheimer's and a lot of folks are wondering if it has anything to do with the spicy food/curry consumed. I know that turmeric, that is used a lot in their preparation, has natural detox properties. Have you heard the same and is there any merit to it?

I am no expert but i think it has some merit to it.

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/

I have not come across any scientific studies that connect turmeric or other spices to low rates of Alzheimer's Disease. However, maintaining a healthy diet seems to correlate with lower rates of the disease. Those from India generally eat healthier food, avoiding meat and processed food. So, that may be the reason but I will do some research. If I find anything, may I send you a PM?

It is good to see that more people are interested in learning about the disease. The Alzheimer's Association is an invaluable resource for information and assistance.

I have not come across any scientific studies that connect turmeric or other spices to low rates of Alzheimer's Disease. However, maintaining a healthy diet seems to correlate with lower rates of the disease. Those from India generally eat healthier food, avoiding meat and processed food. So, that may be the reason but I will do some research. If I find anything, may I send you a PM?

It is good to see that more people are interested in learning about the disease. The Alzheimer's Association is an invaluable resource for information and assistance.

Yes, you can PM me any time regarding this. Thanks.

The bolded above is true but quality of healthcare, environment and pollution offset those w.r.t the lifespan aspect. But it is more bodies that break down than minds.

I have also been affected by friends and family members with this disease.  As you certainly know, once it reaches a particular stage  It is MUCH harder on the family members and caregivers than the person living with this.  

Truer words have not been spoken.

An impressive legacy from Bowlen.

30 years as owner of the Broncos, only 5 losing seasons!

Impressive the organization is so well run, that they were able to convince Peyton to sign with them even though Mr. Bowlen likely couldn't be a part of the big sales pitch.    Props to him for building such a well run team.

As to Alzheimers and Dementia.....   I'm with so many of you, it's touched my life as well.    Without trying to offend anyone, I'll simply say this.     That's not how I'd like to go.     I'd prefer to have a heart attack and go.    Or Cancer.     But I don't want to lose my mind, my memory and not be able to recognize my family, my friends, my loved ones.    Heck, no!

I don't want to say anymore and risk having the thread being closed.    But, I feel the pain in this thread....  I really do.....

An impressive legacy from Bowlen.

30 years as owner of the Broncos, only 5 losing seasons!

Impressive the organization is so well run, that they were able to convince Peyton to sign with them even though Mr. Bowlen likely couldn't be a part of the big sales pitch. Props to him for building such a well run team.

As to Alzheimers and Dementia..... I'm with so many of you, it's touched my life as well. Without trying to offend anyone, I'll simply say this. That's not how I'd like to go. I'd prefer to have a heart attack and go. Or Cancer. But I don't want to lose my mind, my memory and not be able to recognize my family, my friends, my loved ones. Heck, no!

I don't want to say anymore and risk having the thread being closed. But, I feel the pain in this thread.... I really do.....

You did not say anything offensive. I think most of us feel the same way.

I don't even care. I'm sure he will be treated well since he's a rich guy. Meanwhile you know, people with those same problems that aren't rich old men, aren't getting treatment. Damn I love how this country works!

I also love how everyone is making him out to be this wonderful genius owner all of a sudden. Kinda reminds me of how Bud Adams became a saint when he died.

Of course we know the real reason everyone jumped on the Denver bandwagon two years ago. 

Jim Irsay don't even get this kind of treatment from his team's own fans. Kinda sad if you think about it.

I don't even care. I'm sure he will be treated well since he's a rich guy. Meanwhile you know, people with those same problems that aren't rich old men, aren't getting treatment. Damn I love how this country works!

I also love how everyone is making him out to be this wonderful genius owner all of a sudden. Kinda reminds me of how Bud Adams became a saint when he died.

Of course we know the real reason everyone jumped on the Denver bandwagon two years ago. 

Jim Irsay don't even get this kind of treatment from his team's own fans. Kinda sad if you think about it.

I don't know what happened to you?

When I joined two years ago, you were tolerable.

But something happened a while back....   I don't know exactly when....   

And the humanity you once had is gone....  and the part of your brain that offers logic left as well.

Yours is one of the most disgusting posts I've seen here in a long time.    Breathtakingly awful.   

If I were a moderator, I'd ban you from this site.    And I don't think people here would miss you.

If you had an ounce of human decency left, you should be embarrassed.    If you're not,  that says all that needs to be said about you.     Check the mirror -- there's your problem,  right where you left it.

:facepalm:

Forget football, forget Denver, forget owners.

As a fellow human, when someone is down, how can you even say these man?.

At this point I am going to wish pat good luck and get well soon to him and good luck to the rest of his family in this difficult time.

Oh boy. Do you even think before you put your fingers to the keyboard?

But something happened a while back.... I don't know exactly when....

And the humanity you once had is gone.... and the part of your brain that offers logic left as well.

Yours is one of the most disgusting posts I've seen here in a long time. Breathtakingly awful.

If I were a moderator, I'd ban you from this site. And I don't think people here would miss you.

If you had an ounce of human decency left, you should be embarrassed. If you're not, that says all that needs to be said about you. Check the mirror -- there's your problem, right where you left it.

I could not have said it any better. It is shameful. Sometimes I think he writes these awful posts to get a reaction from all of us. That is why I usually ignore him. I won't say anymore, as I want this thread to remain open.

You are such a cheery person. I can only hope that when your time comes, and it will for you as it does for everyone someone shows you a little more sympathy. I don't know much about Pat Bowlen... but feel for anyone who has to deal with a disease that robs them of so much.

U R LAME

Wow. Just wow.

Sad news, wishing the best to Bowlen and his family.

In reaction to some earlier posts, how much money you have or don't have doesn't make you more or less human. While it's indeed a tragedy that not every single person gets the medical treatment they need, that's not a reason to resent someone who does.

In reaction to some earlier posts, how much money you have or don't have doesn't make you more or less human. While it's indeed a tragedy that not every single person gets the medical treatment they need, that's not a reason to resent someone who does.

Thank you

Alzheimers is not the way any of us wants to live our golden years.  It's cruel for all involved.

Well said!!!

It did not matter in 2011 when Robert Kraft was the owner of the Patriots that some of us here despise.  We all empathized with him for what he went through regarding his late wife Myra Kraft (RIP).

No one is making him out to be a saint. Just people sending their thoughts to family members who have gone through this. The even sadder part is you and your attitude. I really cant type what I would like to say to you as I would get banned for sure. There are  no words to discribe you that wouldn't include profanity that I can think of. I do know one thing, I will never read another post by you. Ignore is what I will put you on and I hope everyone in these forumes does the same.

No one is making him out to be a saint. Just people sending their thoughts to family members who have gone through this. The even sadder part is you and your attitude. I really cant type what I would like to say to you as I would get banned for sure. There are no words to discribe you that wouldn't include profanity that I can think of. I do know one thing, I will never read another post by you. Ignore is what I will put you on and I hope everyone in these forumes does the same.

And the main reason he will be treated well is because he faced his illness, swallowed his pride (alot of folks know they're sick and destroy their lives and the lives of others before admitting it) and stepped down. I won't explain, but I know all about that.

I've never personally had to deal with a friend or family member having Alzheimer's, so I can only imagine what they're going through. It must be one of the cruelest diseases out there.

I didn't even know Bowlen was sick. He won't get well, but I hope that the family takes advantage of any time spend together.

But something happened a while back....   I don't know exactly when....   

And the humanity you once had is gone....  and the part of your brain that offers logic left as well.

Yours is one of the most disgusting posts I've seen here in a long time.    Breathtakingly awful.   

If I were a moderator, I'd ban you from this site.    And I don't think people here would miss you.

If you had an ounce of human decency left, you should be embarrassed.    If you're not,  that says all that needs to be said about you.     Check the mirror -- there's your problem,  right where you left it.

Well it's been a Banner Day on here today,  hasn't it...???

I'll never understand how some people can be so cruel.  Bogie,  If you just don't care....then just don't Post.  It doesn't get any simpler than that. 

And as much as I agree with you NCF, (and you know I do)~  Bogie didn't break any rules with his post, and doesn't deserve to be removed or banned for that.  Might as well leave it up for all the world to see.

Back on the topic at hand....  I certainly appreciate all the caring posts extended towards the Bowlen family at this very sad time.  It confirms what I've known all along, there really are a good deal of decent people on our Forum.

Well it's been a Banner Day on here today,  hasn't it...???

I'll never understand how some people can be so cruel.  Bogie,  If you just don't care....then just don't Post.  It doesn't get any simpler than that.

And as much as I agree with you NCF, (and you know I do)~  Bogie didn't break any rules with his post, and doesn't deserve to be removed or banned for that.  Might as well leave it up for all the world to see.

Back on the topic at hand....  I certainly appreciate all the caring posts extended towards the Bowlen family at this very sad time.  It confirms what I've known all along, there really are a good deal of decent people on our Forum.

It appears as though I'm out of "Likes" today.....

So, I'm publicly "liking" your post right back at you, Gramz!    

Many thanks!      :thmup:

I've seen two kinds of Alzheimer's disease. My first grandmother got it when I was young, and it started slowly. Falling down the stairs was quite common. She lived with it for 6/7 years I believe, 4 of those were in a lounge chair like a vegetable. Just shaking her head from side to side, opening and closing her mouth frequently. Every so often you would think you could see her waive her finger or get that look in her eyes like you use to see. Still it was just that empty shell of a person.

My other grandmother didn't live as long with the disease it seemed to be more rapid with her. And fortunately she really didn't get to that empty shell like my other grandma. She was always coherent, and could hold conversation with you. But she always got lost in the conversation, and you could remind her what you were talking about, but it still had those long pauses of silence.

I wish the best for the Bowlen family. It's not an easy disease, but I wish them the "easiest" path of experience for Pat and his family. No one should have to experience something like this, and I wish the best. Pat, I hope you are stricken with the mildest form. Best wishes.

lol You certainly don't hold back ever that's for sure. rotflmao

Keep in mind....not everyone feels the same way we do about the bourgeois......so it's not always worth getting public over since the reactions are usually like what the replies to you were.

I've never personally had to deal with a friend or family member having Alzheimer's, so I can only imagine what they're going through. It must be one of the cruelest diseases out there.

I didn't even know Bowlen was sick. He won't get well, but I hope that the family takes advantage of any time spend together.

That's the hardest part........the kids and grandkids can only hang around with grandpa sometimes because other times the old guy they've known all their lives simply doesn't recognize them and cant remember who they are...

...and that is just crushing to kids....especially little ones.....Its very cruel...