Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another Roster Projection

jskinnz

This one from Mike Wells.  There are several on here who like to bash Wells but I think this is as close to accurate as these can be.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/6365/colts-projected-roster?src=mobile

The only place where I really would disagree is that he has 5 WR's with Whalen being cut and keeps 4 TE's with Allen, Fleener, Doyle and Saunders.  In my mind you can keep Whalen and only have 3 TE's on the roster and take the chance that Saunders or someone is available mid-season if needed. 

I'm torn on the receiver decision. If Reggie is ready to go, I see no reason to keep six. And if Allen is ready to go, I see no reason to keep four TEs. I'd personally go with Rogers as the fifth receiver, and Doyle as the third TE. And I'd use that extra roster spot for a pass rusher or a DB. However, Wells' projection has ten DBs and ten LBs, which is plenty in both cases. So I guess it would come down to Whalen, Rogers or Saunders for that final roster spot.

In all, I don't really disagree with any of Wells' picks. That's kind of a surprise.

This one from Mike Wells.  There are several on here who like to bash Wells but I think this is as close to accurate as these can be.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/6365/colts-projected-roster?src=mobile

The only place where I really would disagree is that he has 5 WR's with Whalen being cut and keeps 4 TE's with Allen, Fleener, Doyle and Saunders.  In my mind you can keep Whalen and only have 3 TE's on the roster and take the chance that Saunders or someone is available mid-season if needed. 

I'm with you here, I see no reason to keep 4 TE's.  Saunders isn't likely to be picked up by anyone anyways so why bother?  Seriously I believe last year he had a 4 game suspension for drugs and we released him and later picked him back up.  If they didn't pick him up then I doubt they would now.

But both Whalen and Rodgers offer something that I'm not ready to let go of, especially considering that we possibly lose both Wayne and Nicks after this year.  

I didn't see this one posted here, from Josh Wilson at Stampede Blue: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/7/17/5873089/2014-colts-positional-preview-recap

I thought that was pretty solid, except for Swoope making the final roster.  It would be a lot to ask for a guy who didn't play in college to play in the NFL (although some have).  PS hopefully.

Also, I'm rooting for Boom to win a spot.  I think Ballard starts on the PuP.

Hard not to agree, but I would change some stuff.  I don't think Havili makes it is either Harvey wins it because of his ST play or they have Doyle play fullback when needed. I have a feeling McDonald beats out Anderson for the last Safety job. I think Whalen makes it as the PR guy. I do think they keep 4 TE's because Fleener sucks as a blocker. Would like to see practice squad guys of Price, Tipton Swoope, Cox, Harrison, Obukwelu, Kerr, Ulrick or Herron. A little worried about center if Holmes gets hurt, or just plain sucks though.

I thought that was pretty solid, except for Swoope making the final roster.  It would be a lot to ask for a guy who didn't play in college to play in the NFL (although some have).  PS hopefully.

Also, I'm rooting for Boom to win a spot.  I think Ballard starts on the PuP.

Your OSU bias shines again ;)

Swoope is interesting to me.  If he proves he can't play dead, then he gets the ax.  But if there is any degree of talent there that can be developed down the road, with the success of Thomas in Denver and Graham in New Orleans, no way they can stash him on the PS and keep him.  So if he makes it, then they basically have to keep 4 TE's and maybe Whalen is cut. 

Your OSU bias shines again ;)

Swoope is interesting to me.  If he proves he can't play dead, then he gets the ax.  But if there is any degree of talent there that can be developed down the road, with the success of Thomas in Denver and Graham in New Orleans, no way they can stash him on the PS and keep him.  So if he makes it, then they basically have to keep 4 TE's and maybe Whalen is cut. 

No doubt, I root for my Buckeyes.  But I want the best player to win the job - at any position.  Even if he went to ... that school up north.

I'm not ready to buy into the Swoope hype just yet.  I kind of get the feeling that if a guy has a lot of natural talent, but the team knows he's raw with a huge upside - they may hide him a bit in the preseason games.  They know enough in practice to tell if he's got it or not.

If that's the case with Swoope, he'll probably be safe on our PS until needed.  There aren't too many teams that are going to give a roster spot to a guy who's not ready to play unless they're already very deep.

I haven't seen Wilson's yet...   but I thought Wells did a decent job.

Personally,  I'd go with 6 WR's and 3 TE's....      glad to see he had Havili as the FB.

Then, on defense I don't see us doing 6 DL, 10 LB's and 10 DB's.

I think we'll have at least 7 DL's....   so, someone is coming off the LB crew or the DB group.   Still think Price has a shot at being the 5th DB....   but we're all guessing as of July 18th.     We'll have a better idea in about 4-5 weeks.

I haven't seen Wilson's yet...   but I thought Wells did a decent job.

Personally,  I'd go with 6 WR's and 3 TE's....      glad to see he had Havili as the FB.

Then, on defense I don't see us doing 6 DL, 10 LB's and 10 DB's.

I think we'll have at least 7 DL's....   so, someone is coming off the LB crew or the DB group.   Still think Price has a shot at being the 5th DB....   but we're all guessing as of July 18th.     We'll have a better idea in about 4-5 weeks.

I like it all but I don't see the need for a 6wr unless we are killed by injuries again,.

I would rather find a take to the house PR/KR. If he happens to be a WR then cool but otherwise I think we can live with 5wr.

All 3 phases special teams already has a HOF K and a great punter lets finish that unit off with a real threat in the return game. We just have to find him,

I know Whalen can return punts but someone who is explosive a game changer. No one needs to worry about Whalen he could go to Cleveland and start tomorrow who do they have once Josh is gone Miles Austin and Nate Burleson. We might even be able to get a pick for him. He isn't going to see the field much here anymore unless we are crushed by injuries again.

Stick Eric Thomas on the PS we will be ok

Yeah I agree I don't think they'll cut Whalen him and Luck have a good connection. 

As it should be....hardly any rookie UDFA's make it.  Destined for PS.

I thought there would be a good chance only 5 receivers would make it. Is Whalen still available for PS?  Are their any UDFA WR's signed to PS?

With Reggie and Nicks' possibly getting nicked up, I'd want some experience/talent on PS if we only keep 5 on the roster.

Very nice but why 4 TEs and a FB

I'm with you there, and can't see us keeping four tight ends at all. We will likely keep 6 receivers because I think Griff will be kept around given past history with a few other receivers. As well as a special teamer. I also wonder if they might just use three backs with one as a blocker instead of a fb, but we shall find out soon enough.

I'm with you there, and can't see us keeping four tight ends at all. We will likely keep 6 receivers because I think Griff will be kept around given past history with a few other receivers. As well as a special teamer. I also wonder if they might just use three backs with one as a blocker instead of a fb, but we shall find out soon enough.

My thoughts exactly

Hopefully Whalen gets cut. No need for 6 wr's

Ordinarily understand that thinking especially the point about being able to sign him off the street if necessary.  But once they get down to the final 3 or so spots on the final 53, it is less about the position they play and more about if they can help on ST's.  Whalen has covered kicks and proved an adequate PR as well. 

Ordinarily understand that thinking especially the point about being able to sign him off the street if necessary. But once they get down to the final 3 or so spots on the final 53, it is less about the position they play and more about if they can help on ST's. Whalen has covered kicks and proved an adequate PR as well.

cut him anyway

also, no Brandon McKinney in his projection, bad idea.

Why?  McKinney has not played any meaningful football snaps in almost two years.  Has never had more than 14 tackles in a season and has a history of back and knee problems.  I don't have a problem with the Colts bringing him into camp but to act like he's a good player is misguided to say the least.

What is missing from Well's projection is that we get to carry 54, in essence, to start the season due to the suspension of Mathis.  That means we'll keep one of:

1) Whalen

2) Dewey McDonald 

3) Qua Cox

4) Sheldon Price

5) Cam Johnson

6) Zach Kerr

What is missing from Well's projection is that we get to carry 54, in essence, to start the season due to the suspension of Mathis.  That means we'll keep one of:

1) Whalen

2) Dewey McDonald 

3) Qua Cox

4) Sheldon Price

5) Cam Johnson

6) Zach Kerr

Good point. Cam Johnson seems like the best choice, in that case.

Good point. Cam Johnson seems like the best choice, in that case.

Cam is the most direct choice for pass rushing depth - but I think they'll use it for whoever the 54th best player is.  It might also make the most sense for it to be someone that you can't carry on the Psquad,which also brings us back to Cam Johnson or Whalen.  

Cam is the most direct choice for pass rushing depth - but I think they'll use it for whoever the 54th best player is.  It might also make the most sense for it to be someone that you can't carry on the Psquad,which also brings us back to Cam Johnson or Whalen.  

Again, a good point. But just because a player is eligible for the PS doesn't mean he's a viable choice for the PS. Some of our bottom of the roster guys would never clear waivers, IMO. Moncrief, for instance, even if he's terrible through camp and preseason, he won't be put on the PS, because we would never expose him to waivers.

I think our roster, from 40-53, will have a lot of versatile guys who can play special teams and handle a reserve role on the active roster, if necessary. The guys you mention, aside from Zach Kerr, all fit that description (and Kerr can probably play on the FG block team). So, JMO, since the extra spot is being made available because we are losing a pass rusher, it makes sense that it would be given to a pass rusher.

Things might not shake out that way, of course. Our roster usually gets a lot of shaking up for a couple weeks after the season starts, especially the bottom of it. But I hope Cam Johnson shows something in camp and earns a roster spot. We need more pass rush.

Why?  McKinney has not played any meaningful football snaps in almost two years.  Has never had more than 14 tackles in a season and has a history of back and knee problems.  I don't have a problem with the Colts bringing him into camp but to act like he's a good player is misguided to say the least.

He'll only be on as a backup, not a starter.