Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andre Johnson doesn't want to play for the Texans.

Dustin

Cushing and Watt have time to see things develop. Andre doesn't. Savage, if he is the guy, is a project that may pay dues in a couple years. If he's not the guy, the Texans will be looking for a QB in the draft again next year. Which again, means a couple years out at best.

I don't like that Andre has been so vocal to the media about this and my guess is he feels it's the only way to put pressure on the FO to force a trade.. Rough for Texan fans, for sure. But it would be way worse for fans to turn on him - This is between him and the FO and has nothing to do with fans. You can be a fan until the day you die, you can only play the game for 15 years (ish). AJ isn't a Houston native, he's been more than loyal to the team for nearly his entire career and now he wants an opportunity to chase a dream that the Texans can't give him. You guys really should wish him well, thank him and in 5 years welcome him home.

Calling him a cancer and saying things like 'good riddance' doesn't show the man the appreciation he deserves.

I think it is always easy to say this when it is not YOUR team. I know I was really upset when Wilfork was having his issues with the Pats FO this past off-season and his reasons were legit as well. It is what it is. A fan by definition - fanatic - is not always rational.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is always easy to say this when it is not YOUR team. I know I was really upset when Wilfork was having his issues with the Pats FO this past off-season and his reasons were legit as well. It is what it is. A fan by definition - fanatic - is not always rational.

Same attitude I had with Peyton. Hated to see him go. Only difference is it was the decision of the team, not Manning himself. Only thing I was saying in that post is for Texan fans to have a little perspective and hopefully not hold this against someone who has been Amazing for that team and community. Not ripping Qwiz at all for speaking with emotion, I get it.

Same attitude I had with Peyton. Hated to see him go. Only difference is it was the decision of the team, not Manning himself. Only thing I was saying in that post is for Texan fans to have a little perspective and hopefully not hold this against someone who has been Amazing for that team and community. Not ripping Quiz at all for speaking with emotion, I get it.

Yeah, I think he has backed off his original comments as well. It is tough at the start when you have a cornerstone player who is not happy. Emotions run high and as fans we hate to see our favorite players go. In some ways that is why I really hate the cap/FA era. I have a friend from Philly who is still upset over what happened to Jackson. Just tough. 

It could be over according to talk radio Houston this morning 07-11-14. I think the unspoken part of it is the Texans do not have a good QB and Andre would like a ring before he fades away. Look for him to go to a contender if they will pay.

No, the Pats can't sign him because according to NFL.com, their cap space is limited, as it should be. They just signed Revis and they still have Brady. Plus, he needs to clear the waiver wires. The Pats don't just leapfrog to the front of the list just because they're the Pats.

They can always make room by restructuring and such but realistically Johnson will have to restructure. No way they pay his current contract at age 33. And who says they leap frog to the front? They just seem like the best fit given they need his position and he wants to get a ring before retiring but if it gets done, it will be on the Pats terms. I have a feeling Mallett may be a part of any deal that is made.

They can always make room by restructuring and such but realistically Johnson will have to restructure. No way they pay his current contract at age 33. And who says they leap frog to the front? They just seem like the best fit given they need his position and he wants to get a ring before retiring but if it gets done, it will be on the Pats terms. I have a feeling Mallett may be a part of any deal that is made.

he isn't eligible for waivers anyway. if he is cut, which won't happen. He can sign wherever he wants

They can always make room by restructuring and such but realistically Johnson will have to restructure.

Yeah, but no team is going to restructure the contract of a 33 year old receiver and handcuff that contract to themselves.

I always have the image in my head of O'Brien yelling at Brady on the sideline after he threw a pick in the Redskins game late. He actually came at Brady like he was going to fight him while Brady was sitting on the bench discussing the play with the receiver he had targeted on the play. I didn't like that from O'Brien and not just because it was Brady but because he lost his composure to the point that Belichick had to come over and tell him to cut it out.

He may be rubbing AJ the wrong way. Perhaps that is obvious at this point and maybe it is time for AJ to go but former Pats assistants seem to have issues with their players in this regard which is why I mentioned it. It is a delicate balance between ruling with an iron fist and also being a coach the players respect and want to play for. I honestly think HC in the NFL is the toughest job in all of sports. 

In all honesty I think Brady was half-responsible for that spat. He threw a ball along the back endzone to Tiquan Underwood, and must have thought Underwood didn't do a good job of cutting in a bit to angle off the defender. If you want the replay it was actually not a poorly thrown ball... Underwood had a little separation but he waited for it.  Brady was cussing him out, then O'Brien appeared to come in and defend Underwood. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33V0hSri6BM

No

They have something like $6M in space right now. Johnson's cap number is around $10M I believe. They can easily work that out by restructuring. Chances are fairly good that one of their two interior linemen who have larger cap numbers - Wendell or Connolly - aren't going to make it to opening day anyway. 

I'm not saying it's going to happen, just saying that cap space is probably reason #8 why it wouldn't. They can restructure him without cutting his pay (which sounds like AJ would reject anyhow). 

The main reason this is a longshot, IMO, is Houston's motivation. I'm sure they would rather trade him out of the conference but the $11M cap hit they'd take in dead money is brutal. They would need to get pretty good compensation here in the form of draft picks and/or other players. Otherwise they lose a high-end WR, possibly to a team in the AFC, and have to eat $11M in dead money. The team would be better off letting him hold out or retire. So it comes down to whether or not they have enough reverence for him to grant him his wish, and to get something (better than nothing) in return. 

In all honesty I think Brady was half-responsible for that spat. He threw a ball along the back endzone to Tiquan Underwood, and must have thought Underwood didn't do a good job of cutting in a bit to angle off the defender. If you want the replay it was actually not a poorly thrown ball... Underwood had a little separation but he waited for it.  Brady was cussing him out, then O'Brien appeared to come in and defend Underwood. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33V0hSri6BM

I dunno. It was weird. Brady threw a ball that Underwood did not make enough of an effort to go for and Brady is telling him that and O'Brien inserts himself like a maniac. It seemed really uncalled for IMO. I get talking with Brady and getting heated but he had to be restrained from going after Brady who was just sitting on the bench to the point that Bill had to come over to tell him to knock it off. Coaches have to be bigger than that and it seemed odd to me. Brady to his credit, of course downplayed it after but I think it kind tells you something about O'Brien but he did a good job in Penn State but handling collegiate players vs the pros is a whole different ball game. You have to be to get these guys to buy in especially when you are a first time HC and being a dictator usually doesn't work if he in fact is handling things that way which seems to be the case.

I dunno. It was weird. Brady threw a ball that Underwood did not make enough of an effort to go for and Brady is telling him that and O'Brien inserts himself like a maniac. It seemed really uncalled for IMO. I get talking with Brady and getting heated but he had to be restrained from going after Brady who was just sitting on the bench to the point that Bill had to come over to tell him to knock it off. Coaches have to be bigger than that and it seemed odd to me. Brady to his credit, of course downplayed it after but I think it kind tells you something about O'Brien but he did a good job in Penn State but handling collegiate players vs the pros is a whole different ball game. You have to be to get these guys to buy in especially when you are a first time HC and being a dictator usually doesn't work if he in fact is handling things that way which seems to be the case.

Ehh, I don't know. Brady has gotten in trouble with the media as recently as last season for being impatient and yelling at his receivers on the sideline so it wasn't an isolated incident. You are right that coaches and OCs can't be dictators though.

Ehh, I don't know. Brady has gotten in trouble with the media as recently as last season for being impatient and yelling at his receivers on the sideline so it wasn't an isolated incident. You are right that coaches and OCs can't be dictators though.

Sure. Brady has always been emotional and at times hot headed which I think is more expected from players as a rule. Not from a coach. Especially a first time OC yelling at a HoF QB. Like I said, it was strange at the time but I like O'Brien overall and think he will be a good fit in Houston. This issue with AJ may be isolated and not related to him personally. I guess time with tell.

Dude get off this ridiculous stance of yours. Clowney CAN'T do anything yet, the season has not started! Not for the next two months! Players express interest in sacking certain players all the time, especially when the sacking of said player could help their team win their flippin division. There is absolutely nothing wrong or offensive about Clowney expressing his interest to sack Andrew. And wth does his surgery have to do with anything? You guys are ridiculous in your arguments/viewpoints sometimes.

This is a quote from the number one draft pick the Clown:

“My goal in the NFL is to sack Andrew Luck. He’s in my division, [we play] him two times a year, he’s a dangerous quarterback, he makes good decisions with the ball, so I just want to get after him and sack him one time.”

Is he retiring after he gets the sack? Hope it isn't in the first game. MY goal in the NFL is to sack Luck one time how can you not make fun of that??   Really he makes it easy                                                                 

Looking at at playoff teams vs. cap space the Eagles make a lot of sense. They could use help at WR and have the cap space to pay Johnson.

Now if Johnson just wants out of Houston the Browns, Jets and Titans make sense as they have the cap space to pay Johnson right away.

I'm guessing the Browns would love to find a guy who can replace Gordon as their #1 receiver and give whoever is going to be quarterbacking that team a very complete team around him. Of course for Johnson the problem here is there are question marks at quarterback and for the Browns that usually doesn't turn out well. That having been said I'd take the Browns QB situation over the Jets and Titans.

But I would say Eagles make the most sense, they are a playoff team last year, Foles looks like he could be a pretty good if not great QB (albeit with limited sample size), they have need for Johnson and they have the cap space to do it.

However I wouldn't count out the Panthers or New England. If they can re-negotiate the contract with Johnson they could lower their upfront cap costs and/or they could clear space for him which given their massive need of receivers both of them would likely be willing to do so.

I don't think the Eagles make a run at him at all. The just signed Hard R to a multi yr deal, Maclin to a 1 yr deal, and drafted two excellent prospects in Jordan Mathews and Josh Huff. Throw in Ertz and Celek and that's a nice complement of pass catchers. Plus, if they are going to spend money, spend it on the D.

This is a quote from the number one draft pick the Clown:

“My goal in the NFL is to sack Andrew Luck. He’s in my division, [we play] him two times a year, he’s a dangerous quarterback, he makes good decisions with the ball, so I just want to get after him and sack him one time.”

Is he retiring after he gets the sack? Hope it isn't in the first game. MY goal in the NFL is to sack Luck one time how can you not make fun of that?? Really he makes it easy

Okay. Whatever entertains you I guess.

Sure. Brady has always been emotional and at times hot headed which I think is more expected from players as a rule. Not from a coach. Especially a first time OC yelling at a HoF QB. Like I said, it was strange at the time but I like O'Brien overall and think he will be a good fit in Houston. This issue with AJ may be isolated and not related to him personally. I guess time with tell.

I don't think just because he is a HOF'r he should be above reproach. It wasn't too strange because spats between players and coaches happen all the time. The media just decided to magnify this one and Brady even came out and said that he and BOB are cool and that sometimes arguments happen.

I dunno. It was weird. Brady threw a ball that Underwood did not make enough of an effort to go for and Brady is telling him that and O'Brien inserts himself like a maniac. It seemed really uncalled for IMO. I get talking with Brady and getting heated but he had to be restrained from going after Brady who was just sitting on the bench to the point that Bill had to come over to tell him to knock it off. Coaches have to be bigger than that and it seemed odd to me. Brady to his credit, of course downplayed it after but I think it kind tells you something about O'Brien but he did a good job in Penn State but handling collegiate players vs the pros is a whole different ball game. You have to be to get these guys to buy in especially when you are a first time HC and being a dictator usually doesn't work if he in fact is handling things that way which seems to be the case.

Brady was not telling underwood, he was yelling. Why O'Brien jumped in to defend Underwood.

I dunno. It was weird. Brady threw a ball that Underwood did not make enough of an effort to go for and Brady is telling him that and O'Brien inserts himself like a maniac. It seemed really uncalled for IMO. I get talking with Brady and getting heated but he had to be restrained from going after Brady who was just sitting on the bench to the point that Bill had to come over to tell him to knock it off. Coaches have to be bigger than that and it seemed odd to me. Brady to his credit, of course downplayed it after but I think it kind tells you something about O'Brien but he did a good job in Penn State but handling collegiate players vs the pros is a whole different ball game. You have to be to get these guys to buy in especially when you are a first time HC and being a dictator usually doesn't work if he in fact is handling things that way which seems to be the case.

One of the reasons I liked McDaniels coming back is his history in the system. I would bet you when this spat took place that Brady was more familiar with the offense than the coordinator. And we all know he's competitive almost to a fault. 

You're right though... coaches have to be bigger than that, and de-escalate, not escalate. 

Yeah hopefully man lol. This football drought is killing me :)

You hold up pretty well all the crap you take for one comment by Clowney\Johnson it turned into a 5 page thread. I think people will switch to the Lebron James decision now.

You hold up pretty well all the crap you take for one comment by Clowney\Johnson it turned into a 5 page thread. I think people will switch to the Lebron James decision now.

I've been here two years so I'm used to it. But yeah, I'm appreciative of LeBron James signing, hopefully some of the attention will be taken to some miscellaneous thread of his own haha

Why wouldn't they be willing to trade Johnson at the age of 33? If someone gives them a decent pick it is better than having a guy on the team that doesn't want to be there, and turns other players against them. Cleveland could be an interesting spot for him too... they need it.

Why wouldn't they be willing to trade Johnson at the age of 33? If someone gives them a decent pick it is better than having a guy on the team that doesn't want to be there, and turns other players against them. Cleveland could be an interesting spot for him too... they need it.

From what I've heard the reason they won't let him go is because the Texans need a veteran, and despite Andre Johnson despising the team, the organization knows he will still play hard. Plus, according to Ian Rapoport, he has a $10 million base salary, and the Texans would still have to pay $12 million--even if he wasn't on the roster--against the salary cap.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000364412/Johnson-to-Patriots-Browns-or-Raiders

Yeah was listening to sports radio and heard that exact same thing............. Seems like he's not going to get what he wants and he'll just have to deal w it.

Yeah, might lead to on-field questions and constant media picking if he chooses not to retire(highly doubt that he will), but then again Andre isn't the sort of player to not give it his all when on the field. It's gonna be a tense two months from here on to the season.  

From what I've heard the reason they won't let him go is because the Texans need a veteran, and despite Andre Johnson despising the team, the organization knows he will still play hard. Plus, according to Ian Rapoport, he has a $10 million base salary, and the Texans would still have to pay $12 million--even if he wasn't on the roster--against the salary cap.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000364412/Johnson-to-Patriots-Browns-or-Raiders

I never thought of the money side of it... since they would have to pay him regardless they would rather keep him from going elsewhere at this point.

You can't blame Johnson for wanting to leave. How many players have been through 3 rebuilds (some say it's 2 rebuilds, I think it's 3).

It's also not very enticing when your QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Dancing around the fact that he's the best player on offense doesn't change the fact that he's the best player on offense.

Who is dancing? Your premise is faulty in that Watt is the best player on the team and much younger than AJ. I don't think many players are having an issue with a 33 year old receiver wanting out because of an org change. If it was Watt, different story.

Yeah, but no team is going to restructure the contract of a 33 year old receiver and handcuff that contract to themselves.

Why would a restructure be a handcuff to the new team? They would have plenty of flexibility to adjust his deal without a bunch of bonus money.

I never thought of the money side of it... since they would have to pay him regardless they would rather keep him from going elsewhere at this point.

The Texans don't have to "pay" anything if they trade him. But they do have to account for the bonus money they've already paid. Not that big of a deterrent.

I don't think just because he is a HOF'r he should be above reproach. It wasn't too strange because spats between players and coaches happen all the time. The media just decided to magnify this one and Brady even came out and said that he and BOB are cool and that sometimes arguments happen.

Not above reproach but I think what made the media go bezerk is the fact that O'Brien had to be restrained as he was going to go after Brady like he wanted to fight him. And that made Bill come over to break it up. It seemed to me that O'Brien was kind of trying to show him up and you don't do that to a HoF QB who knew the offense much better than O'Brien at that time. Not sure why he even inserted himself to be honest given Brady was sitting and discussing the play with Underwood who was nodding in agreement with Brady.

But like I said, anyone can have a bad day and I was more using it as an example of O'Brien's behavior which may have something to do with why AJ is acting so out of character. Just grasping at straws a bit I guess as we are all are on this story. I think there is much more here than just the fact that Fitz is the QB. There is a lack of buy in with the coach. And if that is just because AJ is tired of losing which I am not sure I buy given the Texans were in the post-season just two seasons ago or wants a ring which also seems flimsy as I have never heard him made a big stink about this before than I think it may be more about the coaching change. Do you know if AJ and Kubiak were tight? I wonder if he really liked Kubiak and is more mad about the coaching change given Kubiak just had one bad season on the heels of making the post-season. I wonder if he thought that the FO got rid of Kubiak too hastily??