Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andre Johnson doesn't want to play for the Texans.

Dustin

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wants to go somewhere that he has a good chance at making playoffs. He was quoted saying he is "tired of missing the playoffs." Also I think he says he wanted a stable quarterback.

I would like him in Indy but our WR position is a busy place... Plus money situation probably not there with is resigning everyone after this season and after.

They would have to include at least a 3rd rd pick for me to take that old boys salary. Really, for me, no thanks at any price.

Yeah, the Indy one was a joke haha.  You would really say no thanks at any price?  Andre is still one of the top WRs in the league and he can help any offense.  At the right price, I think 31 other teams in the league would want Andre, including teams with loaded WR corps like Denver, Atlanta, and Washington.

Reports say there are 4 teams interested in Andre right now.  Hm....my dark horse is Carolina.  Really good defense, good running game, they really need WRs, and they are one of the top teams in the NFC.  Cam also played really well last year.  They could go from a small, mouthy WR in Steve Smith to a large, quiet WR in Andre.

He wants to play for a contender; last year's playoff teams were:

San Fran

Green Bay

New Orleans

Philly

KC

Indy

New England

Denver

San Diego

Cincy

Carolina

Seattle

Take out ones that aren't realistic:

San Fran

Green Bay (plenty of depth at WR)

New Orleans (plenty of depth at WR)

Philly

KC

Indy (lots of WRs)

New England

Denver (lots of WRs already and I don't think they have much cap room)

San Diego

Cincy (AJ is the clear #1 there and I think they are grooming Marvin Jones for the #2.  It would be a crowded and expensive WR group, and they do have cap room for it, but I don't think it'll happen)

Carolina

Seattle (I think they would love to get him, but it doesn't make sense.  You would have to pay an older WR a lot of money when you are a run-first team.  Not only that, but you already have $10+ mil invested in Percy, so to have $20 mil invested in 2 WRs won't make sense)

Remove teams with small chances of repeating in the playoffs:

San Fran

Philly

KC (expect Jamaal to slow down a lot, as is the trend with RBs after a heavy season.  Also, opportunistic defenses are hard to repeat)

New England

San Diego (I can't see the AFC West sending 3 teams to the playoffs again)

Carolina

That leaves us with:

San Fran (I left them on because I think Crabtree is overrated, and then you have the issues with Vernon.  They just paid Kaep big money, so they'll want to make the most of it.  Plus, I think they would love putting up a big, strong, physical Andre Johnson against the Seahawks defense twice a year)

Philly (need WR depth, but I'm not sold on Foles just yet)

New England (would make a ton of sense, but they would need to clear some cap space)

Carolina (see above)

San Fran

Green Bay

New Orleans

Philly

KC

Indy

New England

Denver

San Diego

Cincy

Carolina

Seattle

San Fran

Philly

KC

Indy (lots of WRs)

New England

San Diego

Cincy (AJ is the clear #1 there and I think they are grooming Marvin Jones for the #2. It would be a crowded and expensive WR group, and they do have cap room for it, but I don't think it'll happen)

Carolina

Seattle (I think they would love to get him, but it doesn't make sense. You would have to pay an older WR a lot of money when you are a run-first team. Not only that, but you already have $10+ mil invested in Percy, so to have $20 mil invested in 2 WRs won't make sense)

San Fran

Philly

KC (expect Jamaal to slow down a lot, as is the trend with RBs after a heavy season. Also, opportunistic defenses are hard to repeat)

New England

Carolina

That leaves us with:

San Fran (I left them on because I think Crabtree is overrated, and then you have the issues with Vernon. They just paid Kaep big money, so they'll want to make the most of it. Plus, I think they would love putting up a big, strong, physical Andre Johnson against the Seahawks defense twice a year)

New England (would make a ton of sense, but they would need to clear some cap space)

Carolina (see above)

San Fran doesn't make any sense.

I'm guessing the raiders are another, reunite him with schuab and they have cap still I believe.

I wouldn't be too happy going to the Raiders, if I were Andre.  He will be in the same situation he was in Houston: losing to Peyton on a yearly basis and watching Peyton go to the playoffs.  If it were 2009, the Raiders would be stacked.  I think they'll improve from last year, but I don't see them making the playoffs

Can you blame him? The most glaring weakness on the team was QB, and they filled it with Ryan Fitzpatrick. He wants a chance at a ring

I agree but in fairness not sure what Houston was supposed to do. If they didn't see their guy to be had by a trade or in the draft then best to wait. That being said, I don't blame Johnson for not wanting to go through a rebuild at this stage of his career.

Music to my ears. Really hope Bill pulls a trade of some sort to get him. Perfect fit for the couple of good years he has left.

AJ to the Pats, even if it is for 2 years, would definitely mean Pats knocking on the SB door and being able to hang with the best the NFC has to offer if they get to the SB.

AJ to the Pats, even if it is for 2 years, would definitely mean Pats knocking on the SB door and being able to hang with the best the NFC has to offer if they get to the SB.

He is the type of dynamic outside threat they have needed since Moss left. Seems like a no brainer but the Pats never seem to do what is expected. ;)

San Fran

Green Bay

New Orleans

Philly

KC

Indy

New England

Denver

San Diego

Cincy

Carolina

Seattle

San Fran

Philly

KC

Indy (lots of WRs)

New England

San Diego

Cincy (AJ is the clear #1 there and I think they are grooming Marvin Jones for the #2.  It would be a crowded and expensive WR group, and they do have cap room for it, but I don't think it'll happen)

Carolina

Seattle (I think they would love to get him, but it doesn't make sense.  You would have to pay an older WR a lot of money when you are a run-first team.  Not only that, but you already have $10+ mil invested in Percy, so to have $20 mil invested in 2 WRs won't make sense)

San Fran

Philly

KC (expect Jamaal to slow down a lot, as is the trend with RBs after a heavy season.  Also, opportunistic defenses are hard to repeat)

New England

Carolina

That leaves us with:

San Fran (I left them on because I think Crabtree is overrated, and then you have the issues with Vernon.  They just paid Kaep big money, so they'll want to make the most of it.  Plus, I think they would love putting up a big, strong, physical Andre Johnson against the Seahawks defense twice a year)

Carolina (see above)

Playoff teams vs Cap space

San Fran - 6.1 M

Green Bay - 13.6 M

New Orleans - 1.5 M

Philly - 19.4 M

KC - 10 M

Indy - 13.8 M

New England - 6.6 M

Denver - 4.6 M

San Diego - .8 M

Cincy - 23.7 M

Carolina - 5.5 M

Seattle - 7.9 M

Looking at at playoff teams vs. cap space the Eagles make a lot of sense.  They could use help at WR and have the cap space to pay Johnson.

Now if Johnson just wants out of Houston the Browns, Jets and Titans make sense as they have the cap space to pay Johnson right away.  

I'm guessing the Browns would love to find a guy who can replace Gordon as their #1 receiver and give whoever is going to be quarterbacking that team a very complete team around him.  Of course for Johnson the problem here is there are question marks at quarterback and for the Browns that usually doesn't turn out well.  That having been said I'd take the Browns QB situation over the Jets and Titans.  

But I would say Eagles make the most sense, they are a playoff team last year, Foles looks like he could be a pretty good if not great QB (albeit with limited sample size), they have need for Johnson and they have the cap space to do it.  

However I wouldn't count out the Panthers or New England.  If they can re-negotiate the contract with Johnson they could lower their upfront cap costs and/or they could clear space for him which given their massive need of receivers both of them would likely be willing to do so.  

Looking at at playoff teams vs. cap space the Eagles make a lot of sense.  They could use help at WR and have the cap space to pay Johnson.

Now if Johnson just wants out of Houston the Browns, Jets and Titans make sense as they have the cap space to pay Johnson right away.  

I'm guessing the Browns would love to find a guy who can replace Gordon as their #1 receiver and give whoever is going to be quarterbacking that team a very complete team around him.  Of course for Johnson the problem here is there are question marks at quarterback and for the Browns that usually doesn't turn out well.  That having been said I'd take the Browns QB situation over the Jets and Titans.  

But I would say Eagles make the most sense, they are a playoff team last year, Foles looks like he could be a pretty good if not great QB (albeit with limited sample size), they have need for Johnson and they have the cap space to do it.  

However I wouldn't count out the Panthers or New England.  If they can re-negotiate the contract with Johnson they could lower their upfront cap costs and/or they could clear space for him which given their massive need of receivers both of them would likely be willing to do so.  

Philly really jumped out to me as well after reading the cap space list you posted

This isn't nearly as funny as your idol getting the boot to Denver but continue laughing man.

Those who thoroughly examined that situation weren't really upset.  It was the best situation for everyone involved.  Peyton got to go to Denver and took that team to the Super Bowl.  We started a new regime here and are building it.  Luck wouldn't want to sit behind Peyton for a few years (and that would be a waste of Luck's talents) and Peyton wouldn't want to spend his last few seasons mentoring Luck.  Both guys got to play and both Denver and Indy are happy right now.

With Andre, I don't see why you would be so mad.  Yes, he's under contract and everything, I understand and respect that argument.  But the guy is getting up there in age and the best QB on your roster right now is Fitzpatrick.  Not only that, but Arian Foster is a potential unknown.  So who carries the offense?  Let him have a shot at a championship and you guys could get something for him in return to help your future.  Andre isn't the type of guy to whine and complain, so things are very serious in his eyes if he has to speak out on it like this and request a trade.

I'm laughing because you say good riddance to the best player to ever wear a.Texans uniform.

Yeah, I am. I don't want someone whose changed and who doesn't want to be here be on this team affecting our new culture. He doesn't want to be a Texan anymore, fine, let him go. We fans have dealt with the same stuff he has, but we are sticking with the team through and through.

Yeah, I am. I don't want someone whose changed and who doesn't want to be here be on this team affecting our new culture. He doesn't want to be a Texan anymore, fine, let him go. We fans have dealt with the same stuff he has, but we are sticking with the team through and through.

he has very few years left. The fact he is so dead set against the direction the team is headed should worry Texans fans

Another player thats going to land in the ultimate "What If" category along with guys like Fitzgerald and Steven Jackson....What could these guys have done with consistent solid QB play/teams around them?

Kudos on the Jackson remark. I feel he would be a HoF lock if fate had sent him elsewhere. 

On topic; Kudos to Johnson. He deserves better, though it's getting kinda late in his career to expect much beyond 2014/2015. No disrespect to Texans fans, but obviously there has been some serious culture issues bringing the Texans down, considering the extraordinary talent that has been through there in recent years. 

he has very few years left. The fact he is so dead set against the direction the team is headed should worry Texans fans

Indeed. Excuse Andre for not feeling overly confident about regime change. At this point, it's fair to say he has no reason to believe things will be any different, and in the twilight of his career, waiting for change is unfair to his legacy. 

Those who thoroughly examined that situation weren't really upset. It was the best situation for everyone involved. Peyton got to go to Denver and took that team to the Super Bowl. We started a new regime here and are building it. Luck wouldn't want to sit behind Peyton for a few years (and that would be a waste of Luck's talents) and Peyton wouldn't want to spend his last few seasons mentoring Luck. Both guys got to play and both Denver and Indy are happy right now.

With Andre, I don't see why you would be so mad. Yes, he's under contract and everything, I understand and respect that argument. But the guy is getting up there in age and the best QB on your roster right now is Fitzpatrick. Not only that, but Arian Foster is a potential unknown. So who carries the offense? Let him have a shot at a championship and you guys could get something for him in return to help your future. Andre isn't the type of guy to whine and complain, so things are very serious in his eyes if he has to speak out on it like this and request a trade.

You're right in that it was good for everyone involved, but I know that the fanbase was torn apart and many switched allegiances, were and are still bitter, there were hard times and it was edgy on the forum back when it first happened. So while it made sense to some that didn't lessen the pain, and especially after seeing what Manning just did in Denver, I'm sure there are some who wonder what may have happened if he had stayed. Andrew reportedly wouldn't have minded learning behind him for a few years either if I remember correctly.

Losing your franchise guy is never smooth and I don't think the team is willing to let him go. His cap hit is going to kill us, but at the same time we don't neef this kind of cancer in the locker room. This team is changing in philosophy and if Andre wants out, well farewell, but yes we are going to be upset no matter what kind of compensation we get. You're right; Andre Johnson turning to the media and speaking out says enough about the situation.

Your "new culture" involves no interest in winning games. You guys had the chance to secure Teddy Bridgewater in the draft knowing that someone would trade up to get him and you didn't. Then in the second round you don't take Carr because of some history with his brother when the franchise began. Then finally, you take a qb that was a late riser in Tom Savage that probably was one of the weaker QB's in the whole draft to be your eventual starter. Why would Andre want to play on a team that doesn't care about winning?