Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat McAfee knocking down long field goals

TKnight24

@HolderStephen: Punter Pat McAfee kicked a bunch of FGs today, including a long of 60 yds. But his miss from 65 was more impressive

Other :colts: news:

Mewhort lines up at LG in OTA thus far

@HolderStephen: I need to watch Sesame St. I screwed up. LEFT. RT @ColtsAuth_Kyle: @HolderStephen Is Mewhort working at left or right guard?

Confirmed by Stephen Holder

Also, article on Colts players

http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2014/06/04/ahmad-bradshaw-returns-to-practice-after-neck-injury/9963537/

Enjoy! :thmup:

I believe it was 2 years ago that I heard MacAfee kicked a 75 yd FG in practice. Don't know details or if it's an urban legend, but I actually don't doubt it.

Pat has one heck of a leg, or boomstick if you will. I'm not sure I want to see him kicking field goals, punts, and kick offs... and laying out kick returners too. Scary.

As much as I would love pat kicking... He's gonna hurt his leg if he punts, kicksoff, and kicks FG's/PAT's.

it wouldn't bother his leg at all to do all the kicking duties. The problem is, what if he does get hurt? Then the team needs to fill two holes instead of one

As much as I would love pat kicking... He's gonna hurt his leg if he punts, kicksoff, and kicks FG's/PAT's.

if he also kicks that adds about 3 extra kicks a game maybe. The issue is not him being overused. It's what is the backup plan if he's hurt.

it wouldn't bother his leg at all to do all the kicking duties. The problem is, what if he does get hurt? Then the team needs to fill two holes instead of one

if he also kicks that adds about 3 extra kicks a game maybe. The issue is not him being overused. It's what is the backup plan if he's hurt.

Yup. These guys take thousands of reps over the course of a season. A few extra kicks isn't gonna make a difference.

I would think if Adam retires, and Pat takes over kicking duties the team would sign a another kicker just in case that happened.

not to mention what if it happens in a game? Do you send Andrew Luck out there to punt and kick?

The Andrew Luck but is a reach but I think it just helps prove my point.

Kicking in practice with no defense coming at you is a little different than kicking in a real game. Kicking long distance with no rush is a lot easier when you don't have to adjust the angle of the kick. There is a reason we still have AV on the roster.

Kicking in practice with no defense coming at you is a little different than kicking in a real game. Kicking long distance with no rush is a lot easier when you don't have to adjust the angle of the kick. There is a reason we still have AV on the roster.

I keep hearing this excuse.  In the five years that Pat has been with the team has he ever given you the impression that he can't work under pressure?  Nobody knows if he's a better kicker than Adam right now, but I think there are other reasons we still have AV on the roster other than his leg.

Whatever happens, don't take Patty Mac off of kickoffs......we need him to tackle the kick returner! 

BOOMstick!!! 

I think that is the problem with using him to do kickoffs, punt, and field goal kick. It's one thing for your punter/kickoff guy to have to run down returners, but a combo of all three, especially a kicker, is going to be a marked man on returns. A kicker who kicks off is vulnerable on just kickoffs, but making him also vulnerable on punts I think is probably risky.

I really think that putting a guy who does all three out there is going to bring some vicious blocks his way. Any opposing player will know that injuring that guy will absolutely wreck the team, at least for that game.

Yup. These guys take thousands of reps over the course of a season. A few extra kicks isn't gonna make a difference.

It would not just add 3 kicks a game.  It would double his reps for the season.  He would still have to spend the time and practice both punts and FGs and kick-offs.

It would just add 3 kicks a game.  It would double his reps for the season.  He would still have to spend the time and practice both punts and FGs and kick-offs.

He already practices field goals. He's the backup field goal kicker.

He already practices field goals. He's the backup field goal kicker.

I must admit, I had not considered that.  

Still I bet he does not kick the same number of FGs as the back-up as AV does, so there would still be an increase in the number of kicks he does throughout a season.

I must admit, I had not considered that.  

Still I bet he does not kick the same number of FGs as the back-up as AV does, so there would still be an increase in the number of kicks he does throughout a season.

That's probably true. I just don't think he'd be in danger of leg falling off, if he did take on both duties. He's young enough that his leg would be fine. I don't think he should, for several reasons...

That's probably true. I just don't think he'd be in danger of leg falling off, if he did take on both duties. He's young enough that his leg would be fine. I don't think he should, for several reasons...

I think he has plenty of room for improving his punting...much less his inaccurate fgs that he is known for. OMG...he kicked a 65yd fg in practice...and it only took him like 4 tries to hit it. Sorry I haven't seen him be anywhere near as consistant as a starting kicker needs to be and NO WHERE near Adam's level. His leg wouldn't fall off....but he just isn't that accurate a kicker....he needs to focus on perfecting his craft and pinning teams inside the 20 etc before worrying about 75yd fgs.

I keep hearing this excuse.  In the five years that Pat has been with the team has he ever given you the impression that he can't work under pressure?  Nobody knows if he's a better kicker than Adam right now, but I think there are other reasons we still have AV on the roster other than his leg.

It's not the pressure so much as it is kicking it at a high enough angle to avoid it getting blocked.

That's why they don't kick 70 yard field goals in games. A kicker might have the leg to get it there but he has to kick it at such a low angle that it would be easy to block.

It took Pat five tries to hit a long FG. I just don't understand why can't some realize his FG percentage is poor. If Pat could take over the job of FGs the Colts could save a lot of money by letting AV go. Just because Pat is a fan favorite don't mean he is a FG kicker.