Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade up for safety?

Nesjan3

Does anybody believe there is a safety good enough to potentially trade a couple of next years picks to move up for him? We obviously need a safety, someone who can walk on and win the starting job and be effective would be nice as well, (Howell is a solid backup). I would say Clinton-Dix, i was watching tape on him, this kid looks like the real deal, but i believe he goes top 15 which is a bit of a stretch for us. I was just thinking i would hate to miss a stud safety in the 1st because we dont have a pick......thoughts?

The Colts apparently believe there will be a safety they like at some point in the draft.

Whether it's pick 59,  or they trade back and take him in the 60's or 70's, or it's pick 90, or trade back and take him in the 4th round.

The Colts don't think they have to trade up to find their safety.

Who knows if that's true,  but I think that's their view of this group of safety's....

Remember,  Bethea was a 5th round pick............

The Colts apparently believe there will be a safety they like at some point in the draft.

Whether it's pick 59,  or they trade back and take him in the 60's or 70's, or it's pick 90, or trade back and take him in the 4th round.

Who knows if that's true,  but I think that's their view of this group of safety's....

Bethea was actually a 6th...hard to believe. TWO WORDS...JOHNATHAN...DOWLING.

Bethea was actually a 6th...hard to believe. TWO WORDS...JOHNATHAN...DOWLING.

You know, I thought Bethea might've been....   I always get Bethea and Mathis confused over what round each was picked....

As for Dowling.....    I post about this later,  but (coming attractions)  I think I'm going to break your heart over this one....

Sorry.

You know, I thought Bethea might've been....   I always get Bethea and Mathis confused over what round each was picked....

As for Dowling.....    I post about this later,  but (coming attractions)  I think I'm going to break your heart over this one....

Sorry.

I have dowling as my top rated safety in this draft. He's elite (well the potential is there) .

I actually saw a few different mocks where Calvin Pryor is falling out of the 1st round if he's there a few picks into the 2nd and we traded up to get him I don't think we would have to give up much and we would have easily the best safety in the draft I would have a heart attack but I do think the smarter move would be to trade down and get an extra pick or two but Pryor is the top of my wishlist

Does anybody believe there is a safety good enough to potentially trade a couple of next years picks to move up for him? We obviously need a safety, someone who can walk on and win the starting job and be effective would be nice as well, (Howell is a solid backup). I would say Clinton-Dix, i was watching tape on him, this kid looks like the real deal, but i believe he goes top 15 which is a bit of a stretch for us. I was just thinking i would hate to miss a stud safety in the 1st because we dont have a pick......thoughts?

Pryor >>>Clinton-Dix

yeah lets trade up and have less and less draft pick next year.. DURRRRRRRRR

Yeah, because trading down and stocking up on low round draft picks is so much better? Most of them will end up on the practice squad. We need play makers. Not camp bodies.

Lol, everytime i see your name i think your actually a new colts fan, then i see you have almost 7000 posts and your post are usually very informative about the Colts, time for a new name!

trade down for more pics, this trading up crap is costing the colts

This is fine and all but for a team that is edging on becoming championship calliber, maybe going after a guy that can immediately start and make an impact in a position that is basically wide open might not be the worst idea..

There is quite a few good S available in the draft, along with very deep at WR.  I believe we should definitely stay where we are or trade back to acquire and additional pick (although it would probably be a late round worthless pick).  As long as we get a decent safety and guard or center (and have versatility on the O-line) to be able to have depth, I will be ecstatic.  However, if we waste even 1 pick on a WR I don't care if Sammie Watkins fell to 59th (I know that wouldn't ever happen) I probably will be furious.  It's time we address our NEEDS not WANTS!!  Colts have the potential to win the SB this year if they play their cards right and players stay healthy.  It may be a stretch but like some players have quoted "The sky is the limit".  If we have a weak offensive line then they will only be as good as their O-line allows them to be.

We don't have a pick in the first we will not be drafting a S in the first. You are just now thinking Ha Ha looks like the real deal?

Top 15 is more than a bit of a stretch for us. How is it so obvious we need a S to walk in and start? I would hate to miss a stud OLB because we don't have a first but we don't have a first. At this rate we never will again. Trade next years than next year we will need a stud... trade this. Grigs will handle it.

True, TY sucks! Montori is a clear Waste. Using a 5th on Chapman was pure Ignorance. Grigson and his team are *s!

What a goof!

Agreed I wish we had a GM that could rebuild us and get us back in the playoffs instead of doing all this dumb crap. TY couldn't catch a cold.

Yeah, because trading down and stocking up on low round draft picks is so much better? Most of them will end up on the practice squad. We need play makers. Not camp bodies.

Pro Bowl Players? Who needs Pro Bowl Players?  So many fans here can`t see the forest for the trees.

True, TY sucks! Montori is a clear Waste. Using a 5th on Chapman was pure Ignorance. Grigson and his team are *s!

What a goof!

Yeah, I can't stand those people who think that just because Grigs and the coaches see players every day, and forgot more about scouting than we'll ever know - that they actually know what they're doing. 

We've yet to go to a SuperBowl under the new regime.  It's time for a shake up.

We don't have a pick in the first we will not be drafting a S in the first. You are just now thinking Ha Ha looks like the real deal?

Top 15 is more than a bit of a stretch for us. How is it so obvious we need a S to walk in and start? I would hate to miss a stud OLB because we don't have a first but we don't have a first. At this rate we never will again. Trade next years than next year we will need a stud... trade this. Grigs will handle it.

lol, ok, im not just now thinking haha is the real deal, but yes i did just post this topic. Who do you have starting at safety? Howell? He had one good game, and then whos goes in if he goes down, Colt Anderson? For the record I'm not in favor of trading up myself, i think we will draft someone that will start with what we have but i was just wondering what people think.

I have dowling as my top rated safety in this draft. He's elite (well the potential is there) .

Yes potential.... It's a big risk!!! If we take a safety late ( 4th round or after ) I want Kenny Ladler and/or Dowling.... But I would much rather trade up and get a win now pick!

Yes potential.... It's a big risk!!! If we take a safety late ( 4th round or after ) I want Kenny Ladler and/or Dowling.... But I would much rather trade up and get a win now pick!

The ONLY and i mean ONLY safety worthy of a trade-up is jimmie ward and even then i wouldn't do it. I think the price is just too severe. I would still take dowling. I'm convinced.

The ONLY and i mean ONLY safety worthy of a trade-up is jimmie ward and even then i wouldn't do it. I think the price is just too severe. I would still take dowling. I'm convinced.

Bucky Brooks at NFL.com did a 4 round mock and has Jimmie Ward falling to us in the second, this may be very inaccurate but i geuss you never know

Bucky Brooks at NFL.com did a 4 round mock and has Jimmie Ward falling to us in the second, this may be very inaccurate but i geuss you never know

If he fell to us, then that's fine, because he's solid. But i wouldn't trade up for him. If he's on the board at 59, he'll be a colt and my mock is toast.

Howell is 3 times better than Landry in coverage lol.

Based on the draft value chart you are maybe talking next years 1st & 4th and this years 2nd.

If he IS a can`t miss as a cover guy and a solid tackler he could help turn this already Improved D around in a Big Way.

Fun to talk about.

We should still add a good player in the 3rd and pick up a couple more good adds post June 1.

The other Safety that many want is Ward. A football player for sure, but a tweener with size issues. He would be able to contribute in year one.

It may require a trade up to get him.  For example our next years 3rd might move us up 10ish spots to around 46-50 if someone else is looking to trade back.

Maybe Terrence Brooks falls to us at 59.

He has some pretty good tools to start with and just might be that high on our board. :dunno:

In the presser a couple days ago Grigson made it clear they want a safety for this D that can cover.

Yeah, I can't stand those people who think that just because Grigs and the coaches see players every day, and forgot more about scouting than we'll ever know - that they actually know what they're doing. 

We've yet to go to a SuperBowl under the new regime.  It's time for a shake up.

The record certainly left us wondering about some things EVERYONE would agree, but to me the Monster Roster Build looks very, very positive.

Of course I have little doubt Holmes is going to be Really good and have folks jumping for joy.

Chapman, RJF, Jones, Hughes, Pendleton will shock the World against the run.

We will be in 2nd and long and that is .... ohh yaa territory! helps everyone on D. Top 10ish if we run Ok and control the ball?

I think Bucannon has the best chance of being there at #59. My choice would definitely be Ward but I don't think he will make it to us.

If not I wouldn't mind going Joyner or cb with Desir.

I'm telling you right now with Davis and Desir with Butler at nickel we would be set at corner.

The ugly truth. Yes, many point to Brady, Bethea, etc.-Pro Bowlers going late in the draft, but the truth is after the 3rd round, the % is about 15% that are more than mediocre players. Yes, 15% is better than 0 % but I see your point JoshP.

The ugly truth. Yes, many point to Brady, Bethea, etc.-Pro Bowlers going late in the draft, but the truth is after the 3rd round, the % is about 15% that are more than mediocre players. Yes, 15% is better than 0 % but I see your point JoshP.

So true, so many people see SF and Sea getting lucky with late round picks and figure that this is the best road to follow, but reality is that unless you have better than exceptional scouts, you just dont strike gold late very often, is it possible, yes, likely no

Lol, everytime i see your name i think your actually a new colts fan, then i see you have almost 7000 posts and your post are usually very informative about the Colts, time for a new name!

I'm afraid I'm stuck with this one!

It's taken some people here two years to get used to me....    I'd hate to see how long it would take if I had a new name and they had to deal with that guy!    (lol!)