bestQBever

Draft  

33 members have voted

1. 1. how much of the draft are you going to watch

• none of it
    • first 10 picks
    • just the 1st round
    • all of it

I care more about the draft than the Super Bowl if we're not in it. This is when we get our team built up and learn a whole new year of players. Any real NFL fan watches the whole draft and tries to absorb as much knowledge as possible. These guys are going to be around for a while. It's nice to know the new crop of players that are going to be around for the next 10 to 15 years and how each team is improving. 

I care more about the draft than the Super Bowl if we're not in it. This is when we get our team built up and learn a whole new year of players. Any real NFL fan watches the whole draft and tries to absorb as much knowledge as possible. These guys are going to be around for a while. It's nice to know the new crop of players that are going to be around for the next 10 to 15 years and how each team is improving. 

do you actually sit there and watch round 6 and round 7? I am a big NFL fan but i really can't sit there watching people who most likely won't even make the roster get drafted for an hour. 

do you actually sit there and watch round 6 and round 7? I am a big NFL fan but i really can't sit there watching people who most likely won't even make the roster get drafted for an hour. 

Usually I do. I don't know the people too well, but I try to learn those about guys in those rounds as guys like kiper and mcshay talk about them. It is harder, I'll admit that. I usually know 10-15 guys that go in those rounds, so it keeps me mildly entertained. It helps that we have had some extra late round picks the last two years as well. 

I think you need another option, rounds 1-3. That's what I'm going to do. Most of those guys will be starters next year so I find it interesting. After that I don't really care. There's little analysis of guys drafted on the last day by the experts so can't really get into it. I'll check on who the teams I follow (colts, pats, broncos, eagles) picked though.

Any real NFL fan watches the whole draft?  It's nice of you to judge all of us because we might have better or more important things to do besides sit in front of the TV for that long of a time.

Any real NFL fan watches the whole draft?  It's nice of you to judge all of us because we might have better or more important things to do besides sit in front of the TV for that long of a time.

Sorry if I come across as an *. I should say that any hardcore NFL fan watches the whole draft. I do believe most fans would make plans around the draft as it's a once a year event. I don't do anything else unless it's an emergency. I guess you learn something every day though.

I've been watching at least the first 4 rounds since the 1989 draft.  Before the internet I would continue watching the later rounds too (and subscribed to the Ourlad's draft guide).  After the internet, I'll usually stop watching in the 4th round and follow updates on the web.  I remember one year when they moved the 2nd half of the draft to ESPN2 I had to go to the cable company to rent a cable box so I could watch the 2nd half (ESPN was on basic cable but not ESPN2).

Sorry if I come across as an *. I should say that any hardcore NFL fan watches the whole draft. I do believe most fans would make plans around the draft as it's a once a year event. I don't do anything else unless it's an emergency. I guess you learn something every day though.

Well, not to nit-pick but it seems you did it again.  Changing from "any real" to "any hardcore" is the same thing.

Sorry that the fact that I choose to not have cable makes me a non-hardcore NFL fan.  Just because I don't watch it live doesn't mean I can't get the exact information you get.  Most years, I usually put the NFL tracker up on my laptop and check it every so often.  Then the next day, I am reading pretty much every article on the picks and check to see what certain teams have done. 

This year though I will have to change that approach as I will be attending things for my sister's wedding.  Probably will have to sneak my phone in to check some picks from time to time. 

After Easter and Christmas, the NFL Draft is the holiest event on my calendar!

I'll fast the week before it and prepare for the Draft Day feast....as poet laureates recite and choirs sing its glory!!

I'll cross hot deserts, climb tall mountains and swim wild rivers to reach my living room!!!

And I'll!....I'll!!!....

mz_3640317_bodyshot_300x400-9.gif

....I'll tune in around 4 or 5 picks before each of the Colts selections. :P

I am an avid NFL but mostly a Colt fan. The reason I don't care to sit in front of the TV for that long of time is I get sick of the media. There are 32 teams who will pick who ever they think will do the best for their team. It is not up to the media so what they have to say means nothing. I have learned a long time ago that opinions are like ? well you know. Everyone has one and they all stink unless it's you own. Every pick in the draft is a gamble and we have all seen 1st rounds bust and 6th round HOF players. We have seen walk ons do great thing also. Just because I choose not to sit in front of the TV for 2 full days (and now they are talking 3) doesn't mean I am not hardcore, all it means is I have better things to do with my time.

I am an avid NFL but mostly a Colt fan. The reason I don't care to sit in front of the TV for that long of time is I get sick of the media. There are 32 teams who will pick who ever they think will do the best for their team. It is not up to the media so what they have to say means nothing. I have learned a long time ago that opinions are like ? well you know. Everyone has one and they all stink unless it's you own. Every pick in the draft is a gamble and we have all seen 1st rounds bust and 6th round HOF players. We have seen walk ons do great thing also. Just because I choose not to sit in front of the TV for 2 full days (and now they are talking 3) doesn't mean I am not hardcore, all it means is I have better things to do with my time.

Ran out of likes, otherwise I would have used one on this.

Only have one slight correction: It is already 3 days of draft (1st Round Thursday, 2nd-3rd Round Friday and 4th-7th Round Saturday) and are in talks to extend it to 4.

Ran out of likes, otherwise I would have used one on this.

Only have one slight correction: It is already 3 days of draft (1st Round Thursday, 2nd-3rd Round Friday and 4th-7th Round Saturday) and are in talks to extend it to 4.

Thanks for the correction. As you can see, I just spend my time doing other things. :goodluck:

After Easter and Christmas, the NFL Draft is the holiest event on my calendar!

I'll fast the week before it and prepare for the Draft Day feast....as poet laureates recite and choirs sing its glory!!

I'll cross hot deserts, climb tall mountains and swim wild rivers to reach my living room!!!

And I'll!....I'll!!!....

mz_3640317_bodyshot_300x400-9.gif

....I'll tune in around 4 or 5 picks before each of the Colts selections. :P

You missed your calling as either a comedian, a guide on the Travel Channel, or top salesmen on the Home Shopping Network.  :lol:  Thanks PAC56 for making me ROTF pal. 

Mostly, I pay close attention for 2 rounds & after that I tune in sporadically for the rest of it. I usually like Draft wrap up shows that break down picks team by team once the event is completely over. I have more efficient ways of wasting my time than to watch every single solitary pick. Deviations include: Eating, sleeping, playing percussion, watching a movie, or spending quality time with my nephews. I'd add more to the list but we don't have that much time & I don't want anyone to feel trapped like they are stuck in a class with a professor who never shuts up & everyone literally dreads.  :funny:

I do keep the TV through most of the draft, but it doesn't necessary have my undivided attention throughout. 

You missed your calling as either a comedian, a guide on the Travel Channel, or top salesmen on the Home Shopping Network.  :lol:  Thanks PAC56 for making me ROTF pal. 

Mostly, I pay close attention for 2 rounds & after that I tune in sporadically for the rest of it. I usually like Draft wrap up shows that break down picks team by team once the event is completely over. I have more efficient ways of wasting my time than to watch every single solitary pick. Deviations include: Eating, sleeping, playing percussion, watching a movie, or spending quality time with my nephews. I'd add more to the list but we don't have that much time & I don't want anyone to feel trapped like they are stuck in a class with a professor who never shuts up & everyone literally dreads.  :funny:

I do keep the TV through most of the draft, but it doesn't necessary have my undivided attention throughout. 

Same here SW1....but since they stretched it out to 3 days including Thursday and Friday, there's no possible way I can watch it all. The work schedule and weekday errands these days have me pretty busy but I'm hoping I can catch most of the Colts picks....and I'll throw my hat in on Dr. T's Forum draft contest again for fun.

Back in the days of the Saturday and Sunday draft format I often could and did watch all of it and we'd even have some friends over. I kinda miss that part.

Anyway....enjoy whatever you can catch of it my friend! :)

Same here SW1....but since they stretched it out to 3 days including Thursday and Friday, there's no possible way I can watch it all. The work schedule and weekday errands these days have me pretty busy but I'm hoping I can catch most of the Colts picks....and I'll throw my hat in on Dr. T's Forum draft contest again for fun.

Back in the days of the Saturday and Sunday draft format I often could and did watch all of it and we'd even have some friends over. I kinda miss that part.

Anyway....enjoy whatever you can catch of it my friend! :)

Yeah, they should make the draft always fall on the weekend so more people can enjoy it, relax, eat some munchies, & chill with friends. I agree 100% I wish you could program your TV or DVR to beep like an alarm clock to alert you that the Colts are about to make a selection. I always like to see how much our AFC South division rivals have improved too. In addition, I always keep an eye on NE because I know they will always be in the Playoff thick of things. Yes, I will keep a watchful eye on Peyton Manning & company too. And of course, the NY Giants because I respect their GM Jerry Reese & HC Tom Coughlin so much.

Same to you PAC56 my friend. I hope that you get to enjoy the draft as well. 

I wish they would also include some type of R.F.A. program/show as well! That would be interesting to watch how that unfolds.

what do you mean by R.F.A.?  Based on the way I"ve seen you use it I'm assuming you're referring to undrafted free agents...usually shortened to UDFA.  Not sure what R.F.A. stands for in the way you're using it. I usually think of Restricted Free Agents when I see RFA.

what do you mean by R.F.A.?  Based on the way I"ve seen you use it I'm assuming you're referring to undrafted free agents...usually shortened to UDFA.  Not sure what R.F.A. stands for in the way you're using it. I usually think of Restricted Free Agents when I see RFA.

My bad...sorry. I mean P.R.F.A......

Which stands for priority rookie free agent, which is slightly more valuable than R.F.A./U.D.F.A.

The worst part about the draft is this: I feel like I am watching commercials followed by an occasional program as opposed to the other way around & I always wonder if you're say a Raiders fan supporting a franchise that hasn't been competitive SB wise since 2002 how do you keep lying to yourself that this is the year when your organization really turns a corner & is gonna be deemed a contender again? The same could be said in Cleveland & Dallas too.

I don't wish any franchise misfortune...Well, let me rephrase that...When Dallas stumbles on an annual basis, SW1 doesn't exactly shed any tears, but for the most part, I do admire fan loyalty on lackluster NFL teams that have been stuck in the basement a very, very long time. That kind of devotion is admirable, not logical, but admirable nevertheless.  

Well said.  :thmup:

My bad...sorry. I mean P.R.F.A......

Which stands for priority rookie free agent, which is slightly more valuable than R.F.A./U.D.F.A.

soo many acronyms, so little time. lol

oh to answer the main question, I'll probably watch all of rounds 1-5 and then watch my phone or a website for updates on the rest of the draft.  I'll be recording each day on my DVR and watching about an hour after they start so I can fast forward through commercials and anything else I don't care about watching.

You don't have to apologize. You were correct. 

Well, not to nit-pick but it seems you did it again. Changing from "any real" to "any hardcore" is the same thing.

Sorry that the fact that I choose to not have cable makes me a non-hardcore NFL fan. Just because I don't watch it live doesn't mean I can't get the exact information you get. Most years, I usually put the NFL tracker up on my laptop and check it every so often. Then the next day, I am reading pretty much every article on the picks and check to see what certain teams have done.

This year though I will have to change that approach as I will be attending things for my sister's wedding. Probably will have to sneak my phone in to check some picks from time to time.

Well, those that watch the entire draft are more hardcore fans than those that don't watch the entire draft, and I'm sure there are many people that do so. Therefore, their argument is valid, as there are fans that do so and are therefore considered 'hardcore'. However, this is where one's definition of hardcore comes into play. What is the definition of hardcore? Where does the boundary fall? How many people are hardcore fans? Are there any certain tasks you must fulfill in order to be considered hardcore? These are the questions that must, but never will, be answered. As Lil' Wayne once said, "Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand!"

Oh, um, picks? Probably just the first round, and the Colts' second round pick. 2hardcore4u

I just blew all of your minds and ended this discussion, you're all welcome.

Well, those that watch the entire draft are more hardcore fans than those that don't watch the entire draft, and I'm sure there are many people that do so. Therefore, their argument is valid, as there are fans that do so and are therefore considered 'hardcore'. However, this is where one's definition of hardcore comes into play. What is the definition of hardcore? Where does the boundary fall? How many people are hardcore fans? Are there any certain tasks you must fulfill in order to be considered hardcore? These are the questions that must, but never will, be answered. As Lil' Wayne once said, "Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand!"

Oh, um, picks? Probably just the first round, and the Colts' second round pick. 2hardcore4u

I just blew all of your minds and ended this discussion, you're all welcome.

Am I a hardcore draft fan?  No.  Am I a hardcore NFL fan?  Yes.  Just because someone doesn't like watching the draft doesn't taint them in any way of being a hardcore NFL fan. 

Case in point: I live out of state but never miss watching a Colts game while also watching as many other games as possible during that week.  I read any and every article that comes out on the Colts and various other teams.  All which makes me a hardcore NFL fan.  Just because I don't get into the circus that they call the NFL draft doesn't mean I'm any less of a hardcore fan as you seem to think you are.

Am I a hardcore draft fan? No. Am I a hardcore NFL fan? Yes. Just because someone doesn't like watching the draft doesn't taint them in any way of being a hardcore NFL fan.

Case in point: I live out of state but never miss watching a Colts game while also watching as many other games as possible during that week. I read any and every article that comes out on the Colts and various other teams. All which makes me a hardcore NFL fan. Just because I don't get into the circus that they call the NFL draft doesn't mean I'm any less of a hardcore fan as you seem to think you are.

Again, hardcoreness is a relative term that varies upon different people's beliefs. You might consider yourself hardcore, others might not. As Lil' Wayne once said, "I never had height, but boy, I got heart!"

Again, hardcoreness is a relative term that varies upon different people's beliefs. You might consider yourself hardcore, others might not. As Lil' Wayne once said, "I never had height, but boy, I got heart!"

I'd agree that it's a relative term. 

Yet I don't see how one can state if you don't watch the draft, you can't be a hardcore fan.