Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tight End's

Bravo

I thought we were pretty set on TE this year..

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Wesley Saunders

Justice Cunningham

But not I see Justice Cunnigham is now a STL Ram. So all of a sudden if Allen or Fleener get injured we could be in trouble..Saunders hasn't showed much talent in the NFL... Should we look in FA or possibly draft one very late in the draft?

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Wesley Saunders

Justice Cunningham

But not I see Justice Cunnigham is now a STL Ram. So all of a sudden if Allen or Fleener get injured we could be in trouble..Saunders hasn't showed much talent in the NFL... Should we look in FA or possibly draft one very late in the draft?

Dude, Allen didn't play a down last year and we did alright. I wouldn't mind bringing an extra body in after the draft and seeing if he sticks, but I don't want to see a draft pick used there. 

A free agent -- fine.

A draft pick this year?    Probably not going to happen.

One free agent I'd like -- and that's assuming he doesn't get drafted -- is Stanford's Ryan Hewitt.

The reason Hewitt would be perfect for us is that he came to Stanford as a Tight End, played it for a year,  then played 3 years at fullback.

So,  he could be our 3rd string TE and our back-up at fullback behind Havili.    Quality depth at two positions.

He's also good on all the special teams as well.

I'd consider him with our 7th round pick, but I'd love to steal him as a Free Agent.

I'd consider CJ FIedorowicz if there's he's available in the mid to late rounds. In this offense you can never have enough TEs, and if either DAllen or Fleener gets injured we'd have a qulity backup.

I think you'll find that CJF is too good and will be long gone by the time our late picks come around.

My guess is he'll be gone by the time the 4th round is done.

I think you'll find that CJF is too good and will be long gone by the time our late picks come around.

My guess is he'll be gone by the time the 4th round is done.

Yeah, I don't see him being there either, but you never know.

TE is certainly not a need, but would be hard to pass on him. Remember no one saw the Dwayne Allen pick coming.

A free agent -- fine.

A draft pick this year? Probably not going to happen.

One free agent I'd like -- and that's assuming he doesn't get drafted -- is Stanford's Ryan Hewitt.

The reason Hewitt would be perfect for us is that he came to Stanford as a Tight End, played it for a year, then played 3 years at fullback.

So, he could be our 3rd string TE and our back-up at fullback behind Havili. Quality depth at two positions.

He's also good on all the special teams as well.

I'd consider him with our 7th round pick, but I'd love to steal him as a Free Agent.

I would actually really like that!! We could really use some depth at FB

Would we be able to put Havili in as a TE in emergency situations?  We have a lot of weapons on offense though, so losing a TE or two to injury wouldn't be the end of the world.  It would hurt because TEs can be very versatile, but we would still have Nicks, Wayne, Hilton, Bradshaw, Ballard, Richardson, Havili, Rogers, and Whalen.  Of course, injuries happen, but we have plenty of depth for pass catchers

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Wesley Saunders

Justice Cunningham

Cunningham is no longer here because he was quite unimpressive. We are more set at TE without him than we would be with him.

Would we be able to put Havili in as a TE in emergency situations?  We have a lot of weapons on offense though, so losing a TE or two to injury wouldn't be the end of the world.  It would hurt because TEs can be very versatile, but we would still have Nicks, Wayne, Hilton, Bradshaw, Ballard, Richardson, Havili, Rogers, and Whalen.  Of course, injuries happen, but we have plenty of depth for pass catchers

I agree. With the pressing need for linemen and the lack of good linemen it seems the Colts should go that route in my opinion. Especially when finding a linemen as a free agent is very expensive. At least with the rookie contracts they would be affordable while learning the position in the pros.

We have Jack Doyle who was an excellent blocker & had a few catches

When blocking if you don't hear the person's name, that's probably a good thing

He was not an excellent blocker granted he was better than Fleener but he was far from excellent. One of the reasons why we couldn't run the ball was the in-line blocking from our TEs. After rewatching all the games a couple times it was pretty evident the TE in-line blocking was poor.

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Wesley Saunders

Justice Cunningham

According to the roster on the Colts site, we have 5 (maybe 6 TEs) on the team going into the draft.  I wouldn't mind seeing another added but don't see it coming from the draft (hopefully).

The ones we have on the team are:

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Jack Doyle

Wesley Saunders

Martell Webb

The 6th is currrently listed as a FB but looked like he could be moved to TE if needed: recently signed Cameron White

We have Jack Doyle who was an excellent blocker & had a few catches

When blocking if you don't hear the person's name, that's probably a good thing

Not unless your name was McGlynn or Satele....or a running back whiff... :)

Doyle started of slowly, but did block well as he gained more experience.  That is his forte so to speak.

Jack Doyle didn`t play a lot but Doyle did get some good blocks. Sorry ya missed it!

When NOONE around you is consistently blocking well it is hard for an H-back/FB to come in and clean out a hole.

Doyle has better size for in-line or H-back blocking than FleenR and I expect he will be an important part of our very versatile TE rotation.

For the  Many FleenR HATERS, FleenR was Graded as successful on 39 of 40 pass blocking attempts last season. Hate On!
FleenR is tall and thin at the lower body so it should be no surprise he has trouble moving people in the run game.

He can get a decent seal and can block Well downfield and is a much better blocker than Irsays Highest Paid, One Trick Poney TE Clark EVER was.

I'm for it if the guy can play fullback, block and catch. A versatile player like that could help. The power run game would happen. I just thought and it came to mind. There are other ways of helping out your defense. If we drafted a TE like I mentioned above we would keep them stay off the field. It would help take pressure off of Luck. It has it's potential of working in a positive way. You' can't really say no when it come to suggestions like this. It's about making a move they feel that would make the team better. I'm for whatever move that is OLB, FS OG. It discussion has a chance of working or not working.