Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

irresistible bpa

I'm still mad the Vikings snagged the sliding Shariff Floyd with the pick right before us last year.

We would've took BPA for sure. Highly doubt we would've passed on him, dude was a top 10 pick almost the whole draft process

As far as this year: Xavier Sua Filo, Kyle Van Noy

Isn't it funny that the irresistible BPAs are mostly WRs.

Definitely not where I'd go with our first pick.  Maaaybe the 3rd, but it would have to be Matthews, Adams, or Moncrief, none of which who is likely to be there.

I don't think we draft a CB in the 2nd, but one CB I couldn't pass up on is Jason Verrett and I do think ther'es a chance he falls to us given his surgery.

Jimmie Ward if he's available unless there's a stud pass rusher that may have fallen somehow

Jimmie Ward regardless if there is a stud pass rusher...

one of the best S in the draft and a position of need

but I think it will be a WR - hopefully Davante Adams or Robinson

Jordan Matthews

Kyle Van Noy

Davante Adams

Jeremiah Attaochu

Donte Moncrief

Kelcy Quarles

Marcus Smith

Jimmy Ward

DaQuan Jones

Billy Turner

Martavis Bryant

Gabe Jackson

Keith Mcgill

Dakota Dozier

Carl Bradford

Bashaud Breeland

DaQuan Jones

Terrence Brooks

Are all players I have on my board at #59 though some of those are much higher then others that I would take

2 that jump out at me are Marcus Smith and Keith McGill. Pagano is supposedly a DB guru and I'm sure he'd love to get his hands on a guy like McGill. Physical press corner, and his size will make him a bully for most receivers he matches up on. And he can play safety. Only thing is that he's 25, but I like him as a prospect more than SBJ

Smith and Attoachu are the 2 most intriguing OLB prospects I've seen. I see why people here love Smith, he stands out on tape. He's exactly what we need at OLB. Mathis has 1,maybe 2 more seasons in him anyway. Which is perfect because Smith needs to bulk up a little. But he has pro-bowler written all over him. 

Daquan Jones is a possibility as well. I know Grigson believes in Chapman but Jones does nothing but consistently plug the middle and push the pocket back. He gets really good penetration and can disengage from blocks well.

I'm still mad the Vikings snagged the sliding Shariff Floyd with the pick right before us last year.

We would've took BPA for sure. Highly doubt we would've passed on him, dude was a top 10 pick almost the whole draft process

As far as this year: Xavier Sua Filo, Kyle Van Noy

Trent Murphy. Talk about a football player- hard worker, leader, all in one.

Jimmie Ward if he's available unless there's a stud pass rusher that may have fallen somehow

Jordan Matthews

Kyle Van Noy

Davante Adams

Jeremiah Attaochu

Donte Moncrief

Kelcy Quarles

Marcus Smith

Jimmy Ward

DaQuan Jones

Billy Turner

Martavis Bryant

Gabe Jackson

Keith Mcgill

Dakota Dozier

Carl Bradford

Bashaud Breeland

DaQuan Jones

Terrence Brooks

Are all players I have on my board at #59 though some of those are much higher then others that I would take

2 that jump out at me are Marcus Smith and Keith McGill. Pagano is supposedly a DB guru and I'm sure he'd love to get his hands on a guy like McGill. Physical press corner, and his size will make him a bully for most receivers he matches up on. And he can play safety. Only thing is that he's 25, but I like him as a prospect more than SBJ

Smith and Attoachu are the 2 most intriguing OLB prospects I've seen. I see why people here love Smith, he stands out on tape. He's exactly what we need at OLB. Mathis has 1,maybe 2 more seasons in him anyway. Which is perfect because Smith needs to bulk up a little. But he has pro-bowler written all over him. 

Daquan Jones is a possibility as well. I know Grigson believes in Chapman but Jones does nothing but consistently plug the middle and push the pocket back. He gets really good penetration and can disengage from blocks well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure every one of you missed the point of the OP. :P He said a player that's NOT at a position of need.  I wouldn't consider CB, OLB/DE, DE/DT, OG, or S to be in those categories.  Look at the guys he posted...WR's and a TE.  Would we take an OT at #59 with both Castonzo and Cherilus if the BPA at the time was an OT?

To answer the OP, it would have to be a case of the player having a significantly higher grade than the best player on the board that's at a position of need.  Let's say Marquise Lee or Sammy Watkins fell to #59, then I would consider taking one of them over a guy like Attachou or Terrence Brooks.  I'd be more likely to try to find that team that wants to trade up to grab that player and try to get an extra pick or two by moving down a couple of spots.  

To answer the OP, it would have to be a case of the player having a significantly higher grade than the best player on the board that's at a position of need.  Let's say Marquise Lee or Sammy Watkins fell to #59, then I would consider taking one of them over a guy like Attachou or Terrence Brooks.  I'd be more likely to try to find that team that wants to trade up to grab that player and try to get an extra pick or two by moving down a couple of spots.  

If Sammy Watkins was available at 59 and you passed on him I would start a petition to have you fired lol

Jordan Matthews

Kyle Van Noy

Davante Adams

Jeremiah Attaochu

Donte Moncrief

Kelcy Quarles

Marcus Smith

Jimmy Ward

DaQuan Jones

Billy Turner

Martavis Bryant

Gabe Jackson

Keith Mcgill

Dakota Dozier

Carl Bradford

Bashaud Breeland

DaQuan Jones

Terrence Brooks

Love most of those guys....    most are easily and comfortably 59's.  (2nd round pick)

But there are a small number who are 90's.  (3rd round pick)

And one who is well below that.

For me, the 3's are Bryant, Dozier and Bradford.   LIke them all, especially Dozier.

The one real outlier is Turner.

NFL.com has him going in the 6/7 round and ESPN.com only likes him slightly more...  a 4/5.

Seems like a solid guy...   a decent guy...  certainly a draftable guy...   perhaps our 5 or 6...   but not a top-100 guy for me.

Honestly, I liked his write-ups,  but not enough to take him in the first two days of the draft.

Otherwise....   I love the majority of your list.....      :thmup:

I can see a couple of wideouts, a corner or two, maybe Alabamas tackle.

I'm a Bama fan so I know...we don't want the Bama LT. He is a million $ talent and gives $2.65 worth of effort. If he makes it he will probably be a ProBowl player in 3 years but the risk is that he will continue to act entitled.  I hate entitled. 

If Sammy Watkins was available at 59 and you passed on him I would start a petition to have you fired lol

The only reason I might not is if guys like Attachou or Van Noy were still available AND there was a team only one or two picks behind us who would be willing to give up a couple 3rd or 4th round picks to leap frog in order to get Watkins.  Again though, key word in there is "might". :)

I think if the Colts make some trades and get a 4th rounder (or in the 5th round if no trades are made) and AJ McCarron is there, he would be too good to pass up.  I would not mind seeing the Colts get a young QB to compete with Hasselbeck for the back-up QB role.  

1.  I think the Colts (and fans) were spoiled by Manning's streak but I would not like to count on that happening again.

2.  Colts could showcase him in the preseason and some blow-outs and trade him for a 2 rounder (1st rounder if he gets some real playing time)in a couple of years

3.  Scouts are all over the board on him from late 1st to 5th rounder.

I think if the Colts make some trades and get a 4th rounder (or in the 5th round if no trades are made) and AJ McCarron is there, he would be too good to pass up.  I would not mind seeing the Colts get a young QB to compete with Hasselbeck for the back-up QB role.  

1.  I think the Colts (and fans) were spoiled by Manning's streak but I would not like to count on that happening again.

2.  Colts could showcase him in the preseason and some blow-outs and trade him for a 2 rounder (1st rounder if he gets some real playing time)in a couple of years

3.  Scouts are all over the board on him from late 1st to 5th rounder.

Doubt we would get anything close to a 2nd rounder after he showcases his talents against 2nd-3rd stringers in the preseason. More likely we would be stuck with him for 4 years (though I think he has a chance to be a good player), He would just leave on his own and we would get nothing out of him unless we franchised him and that wouldn't happen

I think if the Colts make some trades and get a 4th rounder (or in the 5th round if no trades are made) and AJ McCarron is there, he would be too good to pass up. I would not mind seeing the Colts get a young QB to compete with Hasselbeck for the back-up QB role.

1. I think the Colts (and fans) were spoiled by Manning's streak but I would not like to count on that happening again.

2. Colts could showcase him in the preseason and some blow-outs and trade him for a 2 rounder (1st rounder if he gets some real playing time)in a couple of years

3. Scouts are all over the board on him from late 1st to 5th rounder.

That's pretty improbable. Ryan Mallet and Kirk Cousins wouldn't draw that much and both are both more talanted than McCarron is.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure every one of you missed the point of the OP. :P He said a player that's NOT at a position of need.  I wouldn't consider CB, OLB/DE, DE/DT, OG, or S to be in those categories.  Look at the guys he posted...WR's and a TE.  Would we take an OT at #59 with both Castonzo and Cherilus if the BPA at the time was an OT?

Yeah I missed that part. To properly answer the question the first guy that comes to mind is Tre Mason. I get the feeling that the Colt's really like Mason, and if it wasn't for Richardson, they would consider drafting him. He's exactly the RB Pagano would love for his supposed "Power Run" game. I would say that we would have to get him in the 4th or 5th though.

At WR I could see Donte Moncrief. He has too much potential to pass up just because. I think he could challenge Da'Rick Rodgers as the big procession receiver that can make tough catches in traffic with the ball in the air. Plus if Hakeem Nicks doesn't work out, passing on him would sting.

Love most of those guys....    most are easily and comfortably 59's.  (2nd round pick)

But there are a small number who are 90's.  (3rd round pick)

And one who is well below that.

For me, the 3's are Bryant, Dozier and Bradford.   LIke them all, especially Dozier.

The one real outlier is Turner.

NFL.com has him going in the 6/7 round and ESPN.com only likes him slightly more...  a 4/5.

Seems like a solid guy...   a decent guy...  certainly a draftable guy...   perhaps our 5 or 6...   but not a top-100 guy for me.

Honestly, I liked his write-ups,  but not enough to take him in the first two days of the draft.

Otherwise....   I love the majority of your list.....      :thmup:

Oddly enough I've seen a couple analysts refer to Turner as a guy who has pro bowl potential, if he cleans up his technique.

Doubt we would get anything close to a 2nd rounder after he showcases his talents against 2nd-3rd stringers in the preseason. More likely we would be stuck with him for 4 years (though I think he has a chance to be a good player), He would just leave on his own and we would get nothing out of him unless we franchised him and that wouldn't happen

That's pretty improbable. Ryan Mallet and Kirk Cousins wouldn't draw that much and both are both more talanted than McCarron is.

I disagree.  You both are assuming that the only playing time he'd get is in the preseason.  While that is preferrable, it's not very likely.  If the pats can get the 34th pick for Cassell then the Colts can get a 2nd rounder for McCarron.

I disagree. You both are assuming that the only playing time he'd get is in the preseason. While that is preferrable, it's not very likely. If the pats can get the 34th pick for Cassell then the Colts can get a 2nd rounder for McCarron.

Cassell played an entire 16 game season and led his team to an 11-5 record the season before he was traded.