Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unitas Wins NFL.COM poll Greatest Of All Time

lennymoore24

I'm a huge Peyton fan and am thankful for all he done for Indy. However, I think and this isn't my opinion exactly but an assumption. His performances in the playoffs and his losing play off record hurts his legacy a little bit. I feel he's one of the greatest of all time but Johnny U is hard to top as is Montana.

I think its cool that Unitas won and all, but to take it a step further this bracket did totally lose creditably. For example when Peyton lost in first round, and another example I'm pretty sure Mcnabb made it to the final four???!  

I agree....Unitas and Montana would've been my finalists and either one would have been a very credible choice.

Unfortunately....this poll was also a classic case of "what have you done/not done for me lately"....and Wilson is the new, shiny toy as Peyton continues a growing legacy of post-season struggle.

As for the snarky and bitter vomiteer Donovan McNabb being in the final four....All-Time????....out of a bracket with Aikman and Young???......there's just no credible explanation for that other than voter lunacy.

This whole idea of who was the GOAT is an overblown pile of horse manure. There are way to many variables to even consider who is or was the GOAT. There are players like Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham who dominated that very rarely get mentioned. Baugh lead not only in passing and TDs he also leads in punting and interceptions while playing defense also. He still leads in punting today. Graham went to the championship game for 10 years in a row while winning 7 of those. Both of these QBs played with a football that was not designed to be thrown. Just about every sports networks, writers and so called experts all have different opinions on who is or was the GOAT. The GOAT is nothing more than someone's opinion and no one has the same. Seems like fans just overlook any opinion that is not theirs and then take it past the point of reality. Then it become a mute point because it is nothing but arguments from there. There is no clear cut answer to the question and never will be.

What are you, the new anti-Baltimore guy on the forum ? You probably never saw Unitas 

I've seen videos. He weighed 150lbs and had foot work that today wouldnt have made him a 7th round pick. The guy would not be able to play QB in the NFL today. Period.

He also never won a Super Bowl.

I've seen videos. He weighed 150lbs and had foot work that today wouldnt have made him a 7th round pick. The guy would not be able to play QB in the NFL today. Period.

I guess you missed Super Bowl 5 . Maybe someone else completed that pass to John Mackey against the Cowboys ! Again, hit the history books.

Didnt 2 qbs play for the colts in that Super Bowl? I phrased it wrong. He never won a super bowl as the sole qb for his team. That is a joke.

Kind of splitting hairs now ? So Morrall played some, Johnny still made a difference in the game. He was playing through injuries. I guess you totally reject the 58 and 59 NFL Championships because they weren't Super Bowls. This is usually a Steeler's argument against the Packers, because the Steeler's sucked in the pre-Super Bowl era. The Colts with Unitas also got to the NFL Championship game in 1964, got screwed against the Packers in 1965 on a bad call on a field goal, went 11-1-2 and missed the playoffs in 1967, and he  played on the 1968 team that went 13-1, NFL Champions , and got to Super Bowl 3. Had Unitas started Super Bowl 3 instead of Morall, I have no doubt they would have won. Then came the Super Bowl 5 victory. Unitas had a lot of come from behind wins in that 1970 season. All this from a guy you say couldn't make it in today's game. Remember, they didn't have all the training and advantages they have today. Unitas  MADE the NFL with that overtime win against the Giants in 1958. If you're going to be a Colt's fan, and say all this is your history, then you'd better start cracking the old history books , and understanding what Unitas meant to the NFL.  

Kind of splitting hairs now ? So Morrall played some, Johnny still made a difference in the game. He was playing through injuries. I guess you totally reject the 58 and 59 NFL Championships because they weren't Super Bowls. This is usually a Steeler's argument against the Packers, because the Steeler's sucked in the pre-Super Bowl era. The Colts with Unitas also got to the NFL Championship game in 1964, got screwed against the Packers in 1965 on a bad call on a field goal, went 11-1-2 and missed the playoffs in 1967, and he  played on the 1968 team that went 13-1, NFL Champions , and got to Super Bowl 3. Had Unitas started Super Bowl 3 instead of Morall, I have no doubt they would have won. Then came the Super Bowl 5 victory. Unitas had a lot of come from behind wins in that 1970 season. All this from a guy you say couldn't make it in today's game. Remember, they didn't have all the training and advantages they have today. Unitas  MADE the NFL with that overtime win against the Giants in 1958. If you're going to be a Colt's fan, and say all this is your history, then you'd better start cracking the old history books , and understanding what Unitas meant to the NFL.  

Unitas had completed 3/9 passes including 2 ints

Unitas had completed 3/9 passes including 2 ints

Yes, but you left out the 75 yard TD to Mackey in a 16-13 victory. Look, at this point in Johnny's career, he was older, and very banged up. In those days, they could mug the receivers, and just kill the quarterbacks. These old guys were warriors. The Colts were 11-2-1 in 1970, and John was 10-2-1 in games he started. He also led them in a divisional playoff victory against the Bengals, and the AFC Championship game against the Raiders. So all in all, he was a very intregal part of that 1970 Championship.

That being said, I'm a big defender and fan of Peyton Manning. I also like Andrew Luck very much. I wish both of these guys had played for the Ravens. As far as class goes, both remind me very much of Unitas, and are immensely talented. But Johnny is the all time quarterback because what he did for the league. Peyton is still writing his legacy, and Andrew is just starting his. 

Yes, but you left out the 75 yard TD to Mackey in a 16-13 victory. Look, at this point in Johnny's career, he was older, and very banged up. In those days, they could mug the receivers, and just kill the quarterbacks. These old guys were warriors. The Colts were 11-2-1 in 1970, and John was 10-2-1 in games he started. He also led them in a divisional playoff victory against the Bengals, and the AFC Championship game against the Raiders. So all in all, he was a very intregal part of that 1970 Championship.

That being said, I'm a big defender and fan of Peyton Manning. I also like Andrew Luck very much. I wish both of these guys had played for the Ravens. As far as class goes, both remind me very much of Unitas, and are immensely talented. But Johnny is the all time quarterback because what he did for the league. Peyton is still writing his legacy, and Andrew is just starting his. 

You were right, it was a very different league. I just think you'd be hard pressed to ignore how much bigger, stronger, faster the guys are today and how small Unitas was. I mean he was only completing 56 percent of passes then so it would be even WORSE today. He was the best of his era, but he played before the modern NFL even exsisted, and things have changed.

You were right, it was a very different league. I just think you'd be hard pressed to ignore how much bigger, stronger, faster the guys are today and how small Unitas was. I mean he was only completing 56 percent of passes then so it would be even WORSE today. He was the best of his era, but he played before the modern NFL even exsisted, and things have changed.

Things have changed, but just remember though, completion percentages were lower, and interceptions higher, because the corners and linebackers  could just mug running backs and receivers in those days. Absolutely the players today are bigger and faster with enhanced training methods. The guys in the old days like Unitas and Donovan had to work in the off season to support their families. Johnny had the Golden Arm restaurant in Timonium. Ginoi Marchetti had Gino's, a hamburger franchise , and Artie Donovan had a liquor store on the Alameda. It was totally different back then. Because those old Colts lived and worked in our communities, this explains why we are so tied to this past, and those players. The Orioles were great during this time also. They were fun times.

Ok, Unitas was before my time but, lets fact check. Unitas was 6 feet 1 weighed 194lbs, and you are partially correct he probably wouldn't be a 7th round draft pick, even in the 50's he wasn't a 7th round pick, he was a 9th round draft pick by Pittsburgh and couldn't make the team. Yes the game has changed bigger ,faster, stronger, etc.. but you put any of todays qb's in the that brutal style of football, wide receivers mauled, legal hits to the head, the west coast offense didn't exist, the passing game was downfield bombs. so it's really hard to compare players of different eras. Colt fans embace the history of great quarterbacks Unitas & Manning, the good quarterbacks, Luck*, Harbaugh, Morral, & Jones, and the rest (too many to list). 

Ok, Unitas was before my time but, lets fact check. Unitas was 6 feet 1 weighed 194lbs, and you are partially correct he probably wouldn't be a 7th round draft pick, even in the 50's he wasn't a 7th round pick, he was a 9th round draft pick by Pittsburgh and couldn't make the team. Yes the game has changed bigger ,faster, stronger, etc.. but you put any of todays qb's in the that brutal style of football, wide receivers mauled, legal hits to the head, the west coast offense didn't exist, the passing game was downfield bombs. so it's really hard to compare players of different eras. Colt fans embace the history of great quarterbacks Unitas & Manning, the good quarterbacks, Luck*, Harbaugh, Morral, & Jones, and the rest (too many to list). 

Many sources say when Unitas first came into the league he was 6 feet 150lb. I think if you put Manning in back then he would shred people. You are right it is very difficult to compare different eras. Thats why when coming to a conclusive "goat arguement"  it is hard to take QBs from that far back seriously. The game has changed too much.

I've even been tough on Earl Morrall, I think because of the pain of that Super Bowl 3 loss. He was a great backup quarterback in Baltimore and Miami, and was 1968 league MVP. He was a good guy, as was the Rustin Rifle, Bert Jones.

You are correct, Unitas was 6-1 194(196). And your points are what matters in the argument. Never heard any "sources" say the Unitas of the late '50s and '60s was 150 lbs-ha. Funny how revisionists changes things. The rules have changed the passing results tremendously. I do believe that the top level players of the past could have played in any era, especially considering that would have the availability of today's supplements and year round training. Good response H-shoepower.

You are correct, Unitas was 6-1 194(196). And your points are what matters in the argument. Never heard any "sources" say the Unitas of the late '50s and '60s was 150 lbs-ha. Funny how revisionists changes things. The rules have changed the passing results tremendously. I do believe that the top level players of the past could have played in any era, especially considering that would have the availability of today's supplements and year round training. Good response H-shoepower.

I guess its just like how people who claim these old football players had it so much tougher because "you could hold all the way down the field and mug receivers". While the passing rules have helped the offense, it is ridiculous how far people exaggerate this point to make up for the lack of talent Unitas played against compared to now.

I guess its just like how people who claim these old football players had it so much tougher because "you could hold all the way down the field and mug receivers". While the passing rules have helped the offense, it is ridiculous how far people exaggerate this point to make up for the lack of talent Unitas played against compared to now.

Sometimes its fun to debate with young folks cause they're so....lacking in perspective. Dude, you sound like a pretty knowledgeable fan....about what you've witnessed lately. But reading about it or, even worse, making it up as you go to fit your bias, isn't ever gonna help you out in a history contest. Yes, the game has changed big time.

If you wanna watch an old time passing D performance try to get your hands on the playoff game between the Colts and Pats that was played in the snow...think it was '04...maybe. That day the refs went brain dead and reverted back to the sixties and allowed the Pats DBs to mug Harrison and Wayne the whole game. Manning didn't have a good game that day for a reason. He faced, in a somewhat minor way, what Unitas, Starr, Brodie, Tarkenton, Plum, Tittle, Graham,Dawson Jurgenson and Layne faced every Sunday for their whole careers.

Unitas was a little above average in size for a QB in his time. People are bigger today, but they are also spoiled in many ways. The heat is hotter for folks today....the beating you take today in practice was almost a day off back in the day. I could describe a typical practice from 1967 when I was a kid but some of you would ban me from posting due to my abuse laden story telling.

Bottom line....stay outta the talk if you haven't walked that walk. Example: Mid 50s...a guy gets his finger stepped on with a 2"cleat (seriously, when it was muddy you could screw on these babies and run like Gayle Sayers) so he runs to the sidelines and says, Stop it from bleeding! 4 seconds go by so he asks for some pliers. He takes'em and rips the nail off gets it wrapped real tight with tape and goes back in. He misses two plays. It was the only two plays he missed all season. He never came off the field...for anything. That was my moms younger brother. My Grandpa told me that story every time I said something hurt...or even if my mom said I was hurt. Men were men.  

Sometimes its fun to debate with young folks cause they're so....lacking in perspective. Dude, you sound like a pretty knowledgeable fan....about what you've witnessed lately. But reading about it or, even worse, making it up as you go to fit your bias, isn't ever gonna help you out in a history contest. Yes, the game has changed big time.

If you wanna watch an old time passing D performance try to get your hands on the playoff game between the Colts and Pats that was played in the snow...think it was '04...maybe. That day the refs went brain dead and reverted back to the sixties and allowed the Pats DBs to mug Harrison and Wayne the whole game. Manning didn't have a good game that day for a reason. He faced, in a somewhat minor way, what Unitas, Starr, Brodie, Tarkenton, Plum, Tittle, Graham,Dawson Jurgenson and Layne faced every Sunday for their whole careers.

Unitas was a little above average in size for a QB in his time. People are bigger today, but they are also spoiled in many ways. The heat is hotter for folks today....the beating you take today in practice was almost a day off back in the day. I could describe a typical practice from 1967 when I was a kid but some of you would ban me from posting due to my abuse laden story telling.

Bottom line....stay outta the talk if you haven't walked that walk. Example: Mid 50s...a guy gets his finger stepped on with a 2"cleat (seriously, when it was muddy you could screw on these babies and run like Gayle Sayers) so he runs to the sidelines and says, Stop it from bleeding! 4 seconds go by so he asks for some pliers. He takes'em and rips the nail off gets it wrapped real tight with tape and goes back in. He misses two plays. It was the only two plays he missed all season. He never came off the field...for anything. That was my moms younger brother. My Grandpa told me that story every time I said something hurt...or even if my mom said I was hurt. Men were men.  

I could not have said it better. Your perspective is very accurate and well put, particularly that '04 Pats mugging where the NFL watched the tape and said 14 more defensive holding calls should have been made.But that was basically an exagerrated version of the '60s and '70s "bump and run" DB defense, which was very legal then. And the other analogies show that you have actually been there and have seen the game in it's different eras.

I'm a huge Peyton fan and am thankful for all he done for Indy. However, I think and this isn't my opinion exactly but an assumption. His performances in the playoffs and his losing play off record hurts his legacy a little bit.

Yea, but Peyton losing shouldn't hurt his record, because football is a team sport. Russell hardly did anything in the Superbowl. His defense and even ST's did most of the work, and even the Broncos helped his case with the safety on the 1st snap. All Russell had to do was play mistake-free football and feed it to the run game. Peyton brought the Colts to the Superbowl with Jim Caldwell. The same Jim Caldwell who almost doomed us to a 0-16 season. What kills me though is Russell still hasn't defined his legacy. He's too young. What business does he have toppling arguably the greatest QB of all time?