Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bad News

12isthenew18

We need to stay at the pick we have Enough of these trades ,,,,,,,,,,Take a FS .OL,DL,WR, or TE,,,,,,,,,if the one's available at #59 2nd rd are good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Basically if there are no good players at pick # 59 then either take the best player available Or trade down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Is this for real. If there are no good players left at 59 then the deepest draft in years is 58 players deep? I am pretty sure our only options are to pick or trade down I guess we could pull a Minnesota and just let the clock run out.

I am really interested in the gm's who have never had a player that did not pan out. Way to early to call last years draft.

While we are searching for our TE be on the look out for a QB too. Is this post for real?

We are right where Grigs wants to be get best player available hopefully they are not all gone at 59 or by the 3rd round either I'd like to get a couple of players before we start passing.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jimmie Ward(FS, high-middle second) or Pryor(FS, highly unlikely, but still possible), is in the second round, I can see Grigson moving up to get him.

If doesn't exist,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hope a guy like Ward is there but more than liely it'll nbe a WR since this draft is deep at WR

How many roster spots are going to be filled by 4th plus round draft picks anyway? More picks doesn't necessarily mean they make the team. Especially in the late rounds.

I'll bet the team that won the Super Bowl last year will have most of their draft picks make the team in some form next year. Some will become key players. Some will be bit players or situational guys and others will be on the practice squad. One, maybe two may be outright cut.

The key to success is building, then sustaining through the draft. Allow replaceable free agents to go elsewhere, but lock up the critical half dozen on each side of he ball.

I'll bet the team that won the Super Bowl last year will have most of their draft picks make the team in some form next year. Some will become key players. Some will be bit players or situational guys and others will be on the practice squad. One, maybe two may be outright cut.

The key to success is building, then sustaining through the draft. Allow replaceable free agents to go elsewhere, but lock up the critical half dozen on each side of he ball.

I don't know Seattle's roster so I'll take your word for it.

As for our roster, I think we have one spot, FS, where a draft pick may start. And that's a long shot. Can you name another?

So here's how I look at it: do we have 5 spots on the bottom of the roster where a rookie can beat out a veteran? Probably a couple. It would be interesting to hear which spots are available from the forum. May need a new thread?

The 2nd year pick MAY BE good in the future but as of now he failed on the 2nd year picks,,,,,,,,,,,And even draft analysis say the same

thing  Sorry to say,,,,,,,,,,Grigson failed year 2 draft ,,,,,,,,,,,,And even some of his free agents have been busts

You can't simply say a draft class may be good in the future and then turn around and call it a bust. It really makes it difficult to take you seriously. But let's pretend you are serious and you do believe last years draft class is and will be a bust so we can explain to you that it is absurd to say so. 

Year one, we were worst in the league the previous year so we drafted at the top of each round more or less. We drafted Rd. 1/pick 1, Rd 2/pick 2, Rd 3/pick 1, Rd 3/pick 29 and so on. So four players in the first three rounds for offensive skill positions were drafted. All players who could come in and make an immediate impact.

Now year two is a different story altogether. We made the playoffs the year prior so we drafted near the bottom of each round. We drafted Rd 1/pick 24, Rd 3/pick 24, Rd 4/pick 24, Rd 5/pick 6 and so on. Our round one pick was a 4-3 DE that we picked to play 3-4 OLB. So the move a new position is expected to take time for him to develop. Rounds three and four we pick two offensive lineman. Common knowledge is that OL typically take a season or two to develop. And our fifth rounder was a DT. And a fifth round DT would also be expected to take time to develop. 

So to summarize it, saying Grigson's year two draft was a bust based off of the immediate impact that was made by the first is laughable due to the entirely different circumstances surrounding each. The type of players chosen and the position they were chosen played a large part in each.  Year one we were the worst team in the league trying to get players to come in and make and immediate impact to turn the franchise around. Year two we were a playoff team that had the luxury of picking players we could take time to develop into future stars.

Why must we trade it?  It may be the only chance we have to select a starting FS.  If someone we need is there, we'd be nuts to trade it!

That's pretty much the definition of reaching for need, which has gotten every team burned one time or another. Remember first round pick Donald Brown? Or more recently, Trent Richardson? Or how about Morris Claibourne?

How many roster spots are going to be filled by 4th plus round draft picks anyway? More picks doesn't necessarily mean they make the team. Especially in the late rounds.

Given that this is supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in years, I would say a lot. Besides, the talent drop off isn't as dramatic from round to round as people make it out to be. Theres always people who can make the team in every round.

Given that this is supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in years, I would say a lot. Besides, the talent drop off isn't as dramatic from round to round as people make it out to be. Theres always people who can make the team in every round.

I'm interested in knowing which positions where a rookie will win a roster spot, other than S. I think I'll start a new thread, so you and others can tell me who will get beat out.

You can't simply say a draft class may be good in the future and then turn around and call it a bust. It really makes it difficult to take you seriously. But let's pretend you are serious and you do believe last years draft class is and will be a bust so we can explain to you that it is absurd to say so. 

Year one, we were worst in the league the previous year so we drafted at the top of each round more or less. We drafted Rd. 1/pick 1, Rd 2/pick 2, Rd 3/pick 1, Rd 3/pick 29 and so on. So four players in the first three rounds for offensive skill positions were drafted. All players who could come in and make an immediate impact.

Now year two is a different story altogether. We made the playoffs the year prior so we drafted near the bottom of each round. We drafted Rd 1/pick 24, Rd 3/pick 24, Rd 4/pick 24, Rd 5/pick 6 and so on. Our round one pick was a 4-3 DE that we picked to play 3-4 OLB. So the move a new position is expected to take time for him to develop. Rounds three and four we pick two offensive lineman. Common knowledge is that OL typically take a season or two to develop. And our fifth rounder was a DT. And a fifth round DT would also be expected to take time to develop. 

So to summarize it, saying Grigson's year two draft was a bust based off of the immediate impact that was made by the first is laughable due to the entirely different circumstances surrounding each. The type of players chosen and the position they were chosen played a large part in each.  Year one we were the worst team in the league trying to get players to come in and make and immediate impact to turn the franchise around. Year two we were a playoff team that had the luxury of picking players we could take time to develop into future stars.

Sure u can call it a bust And yes that same draft that year one when drafted stunk year two or year three they can get better,,,,,,,,,,We are still waiting for Grigson's 2nd drsft to develop..............I feel Werner has the potential to develop very well and be a force ,,,,,,,,The Oline from draft 2nd year,,,,,,,,,,Better get better in a fast way,,,A bad draft can set a team back many, many years...........And of coarse in difference years u draft for different needs as the team changes from year to year,,,,,,,,,,,,,But regardless,,,,,,,,,of we had beter picks in year 1 of Grigson then we did in year 2,,,,,,,,,,,Our scouts and personal have to roll w the reality of picking in later rounds and they have to hit it in this draft to keep up w/ the other NFL teams that struck gold in FA and will in this draft also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Our GM and coachs personal owner has their work cut out for them in this draft a/ the meager picks and later picks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE IT GOOD  COLTS

I've never seen so many commas in my life! Your paragraph (and I use that loosely) has more commas than LeBron James & Kobe Bryant's bank accounts combined!

:groan:

We are not in English class are we we are on a forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I disagree. The first year was the glamour come in and make an impact now picks. The second year pics were made to come in and be groomed for the future. That's what the draft is for, the future.

And the draft is also for the immediate present,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not tomorrow the NFL teams are for the here and NOW

If Jimmie Ward(FS, high-middle second) or Pryor(FS, highly unlikely, but still possible), is in the second round, I can see Grigson moving up to get him.

Hope those guys are there in 2nd round but that would be a Disney dream,those guys will be longggggggggggggg Goneeeeeee

Why would we need a TE?

In this year's deep draft there'll definitely be a good player available at pick #59 ,2nd rd,,,,,,,,,,,It may not be the Oline guy we are looking for or the Safety it may be a WR,,,,,,,,,,and we need to take that player and Not reach for a playe(ie) Oline we need,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sure u can call it a bust And yes that same draft that year one when drafted stunk year two or year three they can get better,,,,,,,,,,We are still waiting for Grigson's 2nd drsft to develop..............I feel Werner has the potential to develop very well and be a force ,,,,,,,,The Oline from draft 2nd year,,,,,,,,,,Better get better in a fast way,,,A bad draft can set a team back many, many years...........And of coarse in difference years u draft for different needs as the team changes from year to year,,,,,,,,,,,,,But regardless,,,,,,,,,of we had beter picks in year 1 of Grigson then we did in year 2,,,,,,,,,,,Our scouts and personal have to roll w the reality of picking in later rounds and they have to hit it in this draft to keep up w/ the other NFL teams that struck gold in FA and will in this draft also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Our GM and coachs personal owner has their work cut out for them in this draft a/ the meager picks and later picks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE IT GOOD  COLTS

sure, YOU can call it a bust...but most rational people wouldn't after only one year.

Its a bust till the players prove otherwise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thats rational and reality and that's life

So, according to you, the day after the draft ends, every team gets an "F" until the players they draft prove otherwise.

To each his own, but that is not rational, reality or life.

Its a bust till the players prove otherwise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thats rational and reality and that's life

yeah no, that's not rational, reality nor life except for in the minds of those that don't realize that the colts 2012 draft was an aberration and NOT in any way the norm.

Thank you for making it very clear that I need not bother reading your posts, You have proven bereft of football knowledge or common sense in general.

I know this probably puts me in the minority here but I don't think that you can judge a draft class after just one season. Players do improve, they aren't just who they are after one season in the league. With that said we knew that Werner and Montori Hughes would be project players. Also, Khaled Holmes has proved to be more of a project player as well, but should get his opportunity to prove whether he can play or not this season. Thornton was alright at OG last season, so if the Colts hit on Thornton and then two out of the three project players I mentioned, it turns out to be a pretty solid draft class.

Not sure that you are in the minority.  I've always thought that you draft for the future--we got a bit lucky in 2012 in that the No. 1 pick guy was a stud already.

And the draft is also for the immediate present,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not tomorrow the NFL teams are for the here and NOW

Think we're good. 11-5 last two years speaks volumes. Espeially with our injuries. If we can get a good break and be close to injury free will will be very very dangerous.

I don't know Seattle's roster so I'll take your word for it.

As for our roster, I think we have one spot, FS, where a draft pick may start. And that's a long shot. Can you name another?

I don't know where those draft picks will shake out, but there are positions they will fill that you can't see now. If you were right, they would trade their entire draft this season for future considerations.

I'm sure Seattle's roster is more loaded than the Colts and they will have draft picks make that team.

PS. Grigson  had an excellent 1st year here draft,,,,,,,,,,His 2nd draft wasn't good at all.................The GM and coach better pull some rabbits out of the hat and mae this a decent draft  because having so few picks has got us behind the 8 ball

I expect Werner,Thornton, Holmes and Hughes to all become solid NFL starters. A good draft!

Most MOMS would have had a VG draft in Griggs year one.

Think we're good. 11-5 last two years speaks volumes. Espeially with our injuries. If we can get a good break and be close to injury free will will be very very dangerous.

Yet i recall we DUMPED at least 8 crumby starters after year one and couldn`t wait to Dump 5 more crumby Starters after this season.

Gee, ya think we will go 6-0 again this season in our cakewalk division?

Those W/L records were about as REAL as Paganos' "Link is a 4 position player".

PS. Grigson  had an excellent 1st year here draft,,,,,,,,,,His 2nd draft wasn't good at all.................The GM and coach better pull some rabbits out of the hat and mae this a decent draft  because having so few picks has got us behind the 8 ball

I expect Werner,Thornton, Holmes and Hughes to all become solid NFL starters. A good draft!

Agreed.  Its way to early to say the 2013 draft was full of busts.  I believe that Werner could replace Walden mid season this year.  He is better suited to take over the Sam LB role than to take over the Will LB role that he was originally drafted for.  As for Holmes and Thornton i think that they need to be given a chance to start.  We never had a chance to develop the chemistry we need on the o-line with all the injuries we had last year so give the young guys a chance to go out and prove themselves this year.  Don't get me wrong though I would still like us to draft an interior lineman to help push these guys.  And for Hughes he was drafted to be a rotational NT in our def so he will get his snaps, plug the holes and open up the space for others to get their numbers.

Agreed.  Its way to early to say the 2013 draft was full of busts.  I believe that Werner could replace Walden mid season this year.  He is better suited to take over the Sam LB role than to take over the Will LB role that he was originally drafted for.  As for Holmes and Thornton i think that they need to be given a chance to start.  We never had a chance to develop the chemistry we need on the o-line with all the injuries we had last year so give the young guys a chance to go out and prove themselves this year.  Don't get me wrong though I would still like us to draft an interior lineman to help push these guys.  And for Hughes he was drafted to be a rotational NT in our def so he will get his snaps, plug the holes and open up the space for others to get their numbers.

Yes its still to early to tell But other Oline men develop 1st year and excel.Chemistry that's the key for an Oline to be effective,,,,,,,,,,,And w/ all the injuries ast year we never gor the chance at the Oline chemistry,,,,,,,,,,,Donnald Thoams from the PATS that Oline man who went down w/injury he'll be back he is experienced and he'll add much depth,,,,,,,,,,,He had a quad injury and also a torn bicep he played thru the torn bicep but its impossible to play w/ the quad injury ,So he'll be back,,,thats great news a veteran on the Oline,,,,,,,,,,Hope the rookies of 2nd draft step it up. or we are in trouble the only reason we've done well is b/c of Luck's ability to stay up right and also scramble and extend the pays -Now we need to help Luck and block for the poor guy.

I have the highest trust Werner will make the biggest jump to being a very good NFL Dlineman The rest am holding my breather and I do not wanta have wishful thinking they'll be better,,,,,,,,Although Holmes and Thorton can't be much worse this season Or can They