Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nicks - Carolina made offer but ‘best fit’ is with Indy

HarassedOffTheSite

With the Colts, Nicks finds one of the best young quarterbacks in the league in Andrew Luck, as well as working with receivers Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton and tight end Dwayne Allen. Nicks said he saw himself as the missing piece to the Colts’ puzzle in a quest for the Super Bowl.

"...they made an offer when I talked to (Panthers general manager) Dave Gettleman, but you know it just didn’t pan out the right way. I feel like this is the best fit for me."

I don’t think there’s anything for me to prove. I think I just want to go out there and play football and win championships. My play speaks for itself. I’m always working in silence and letting the game speak loud.

I didn’t really like (any) of the situations, and I didn’t want to get myself in a long-term situation that I didn’t like, this is a great organization and a chance to show them what I can do and what I can bring to the table.

Yeah Andrew Luck is a draw but so is Cam Newton. And the jettisoning of Steve Smith would bode well for Nicks' numbers had he gone there. I think it is safe to say that his decision came down to money alone...not so much now, but going forward. The way DHB and his agent thought they could hit the jackpot by signing a 1 year deal here, making a big splash and then being re-signed for more when we have significant cap space, Nicks and his agent are more than likely thinking the exact same thing.

Nicks is in a win win situation. He can be re-signed for a big long term deal after this season or he can go somewhere else and get a deal. Even though he may not be a number 1 here, he will still get many targets. Our passing threat is going to be insane next year hoping everyone stays healthy.

Nicks is in a win win situation. He can be re-signed for a big long term deal after this season or he can go somewhere else and get a deal. Even though he may not be a number 1 here, he will still get many targets. Our passing threat is going to be insane next year hoping everyone stays healthy.

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps Nicks found it more appealing to not have the entire defense's attention directed on him like it would be as the number 1 in Carolina. Maybe the opportunity to catch passes from Andy while Reggie and T.Y. draw coverage away made him feel more comfortable in this bounce back year for him.

Nicks would have had nobody on offense around him......greg olsen?  Colts WR's and TE's are a lot better and defenses will have trouble covering them all.  Should help his stat's,  he really does not have anything to prove, caught about 56 of 102 passes thrown his way.  56 receptions for 900 yards receiving for a 16 yard average is pretty darn good.  His dropped passes should be reduced because he played with a dislocated finger last year.  Having 900 yards of offense labeled as a down year for him is a good problem to have.  Love this signing. Let's get a better center and a safety now!

Nicks would have had nobody on offense around him......greg olsen? Colts WR's and TE's are a lot better and defenses will have trouble covering them all. Should help his stat's, he really does not have anything to prove, caught about 56 of 102 passes thrown his way. 56 receptions for 900 yards receiving for a 16 yard average is pretty darn good. His dropped passes should be reduced because he played with a dislocated finger last year. Having 900 yards of offense labeled as a down year for him is a good problem to have. Love this signing. Let's get a better center and a safety now!

I completely agree. Even with the dislocated finger, I believe he still only had about 2 statistically qualified "dropped" passes, compared to about 9 I believe for DHB. I'm with you though, if almost 900 yards with a 16 ypc average is his worst year, that is a drastic upgrade. I think the lack of TD's had more to do with erratic Eli last year! I'm not concerned about his redzone effectiveness for us.

If nicks has hands I'll take that any day over speed. Speed is useless if you can't catch the ball. I don't understand why the raiders/DHB wasn't working on using his hands from day one. It's harder to break bad habits the longer you let them go. That's why when I hire guys I would rather them be green and not know anything so I can train them the right way.

If nicks has hands I'll take that any day over speed. Speed is useless if you can't catch the ball. I don't understand why the raiders/DHB wasn't working on using his hands from day one. It's harder to break bad habits the longer you let them go. That's why when I hire guys I would rather them be green and not know anything so I can train them the right way.

You don't think the Raiders saw very quickly that DHB had bad habits when catching passes (read: jumping and cradling ever pass in his stomach)? I can guarantee that they were working on his receiving skills out of the gate but there is only so much you can do. The ability to catch a football is at least 95% natural talent.

Yeah I don't buy the whole "I want to win championships things". He already has 2 rings with the Giants if I'm not mistaken. He wants number 1 receiver money. He figured he could win the job in Indy and get a huge pay day. Seeing how the Panthers just dropped Steve Smith to save $8 million, he knows he wouldn't have gotten the deal he wanted there, in addition to being the only offensive weapon

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps Nicks found it more appealing to not have the entire defense's attention directed on him like it would be as the number 1 in Carolina. Maybe the opportunity to catch passes from Andy while Reggie and T.Y. draw coverage away made him feel more comfortable in this bounce back year for him.

I think had the Panthers kept Smith it would have been an easier move for Nicks to go there. The Colts have plenty of capable receivers which means it will be hard for teams cover everyone effectively. Nicks should thrive here.

Yeah I don't buy the whole "I want to win championships things". He already has 2 rings with the Giants if I'm not mistaken. He wants number 1 receiver money. He figured he could win the job in Indy and get a huge pay day. Seeing how the Panthers just dropped Steve Smith to save $8 million, he knows he wouldn't have gotten the deal he wanted there, in addition to being the only offensive weapon

He has 1 championship.

You don't think the Raiders saw very quickly that DHB had bad habits when catching passes (read: jumping and cradling ever pass in his stomach)? I can guarantee that they were working on his receiving skills out of the gate but there is only so much you can do. The ability to catch a football is at least 95% natural talent.

Who knows. They are the raiders. Al was out there during his last years. Thought you could just draft players on speed alone but the skills didn't match. I think when new management stepped in they finally cut their losses and their wacked out philosophies.

Yeah, I agree.  I feel bad for DHB, tbh.  He didn't fail here for lack of effort, otherwise he wouldn't have been as good a special teams player as he was for us.  He seems like a good bloke and worked hard last year, the problem is that he's ultimately a track & field guy who doesn't have the natural skills to be an effective WR in the NFL.

Yeah, I agree.  I feel bad for DHB, tbh.  He didn't fail here for lack of effort, otherwise he wouldn't have been as good a special teams player as he was for us.  He seems like a good bloke and worked hard last year, the problem is that he's ultimately a track & field guy who doesn't have the natural skills to be an effective WR in the NFL.

Precisely.

Nicks would have had nobody on offense around him......greg olsen?  Colts WR's and TE's are a lot better and defenses will have trouble covering them all.  Should help his stat's,  he really does not have anything to prove, caught about 56 of 102 passes thrown his way.  56 receptions for 900 yards receiving for a 16 yard average is pretty darn good.  His dropped passes should be reduced because he played with a dislocated finger last year.  Having 900 yards of offense labeled as a down year for him is a good problem to have.  Love this signing. Let's get a better center and a safety now!

Beautifully said by you!

I've been trying to say the same thing in other posts I've made.     Especially to those who do not like the signing.    His down year numbers we'd be happy with.   But he has the potential for even better numbers in our offense with our QB.

Just sayin........   :thmup:

He will be a number one in Indy immediately.

One of the best things is if the ball is in his direction, he makes the catch. He is tall, 6ft. 1 in. which I like, and he has what have been called the largest Mitts in the NFL. Large hands usually means a good WR. Also, his speed straighline, 4.6 forty not burning, but he is much faster on the field. No one really has ever worried about his speed, but it is amazing to me how much people put on the forty yd. dash, don't draft a player, and then when the kid is on the field, all of a sudden he is outrunning people. Angles and understanding routes are the key to being fast. You can't run go routes the whole time!

We already have a speed guy in TY......Reggie even at 80% will be a great upgrade, Wayne has never been known for speed but more for his routes.  I can't wait to see them line-up, I wonder if they will run a two tight end set?  Either way, Wayne, TY, Nicks, Fleener, Allen, Brazil, Rogers, Whalen, Ballard, T-Rich, Bradshaw is a lot of weapons.  I hope they are gonna bolster this O-line because if we can't open some holes or push the pile we will still be forced to throw.  I liked when we threw last year but it is evident that to win the Super Bowl we need to be able to RUN (Lucks picks in the post season).  Costa is not the answer, if he slides to guard and we pick up a center than maybe, but we can't expect a guy rated below Satele to be the solution.  I hope Grigs has a plan because my first signing would have been a center........ that protects your FRANCHISE QB.  Every other move would come after I new we where upgrading the line.  Its like he does the exact opposite, I realize we need to stop the run......but we to run better and have long drives instead of running the 2 minute drill or bombing to TY and putting our defense back out tired.........We need to keep opposing teams offenses off the field.....then they can't run.  I like the moves so far but it seems like now we are strapped for cash and it will be hard to afford a quality center.  I hope I am wrong! 

If they were brining him in to be the number one, it would have been more than a one year deal

Not really. He has to prove he can stay on the field. I am sure that the only multi-year deals he was offered were for very short money. He will be the number one because he is just better than what we have unless he is injured.

Not really. He has to prove he can stay on the field. I am sure that the only multi-year deals he was offered were for very short money. He will be the number one because he is just better than what we have unless he is injured.

he is not better than a healthy reggie. Reggie had more tds last year in limited time than nicks did

You think? We will wait and see but I think Reggie will have the edge over him.

This will be Reggies 3rd season as our slot. They ran him on a go Once last season and the corner out ran him and got an easy pick. Reg never ran another deep route.

The Colts receivers coach coached Nicks his last 2 years at NC per the Colts.com article.

One of the best things is if the ball is in his direction, he makes the catch. He is tall, 6ft. 1 in. which I like, and he has what have been called the largest Mitts in the NFL. Large hands usually means a good WR. Also, his speed straighline, 4.6 forty not burning, but he is much faster on the field. No one really has ever worried about his speed, but it is amazing to me how much people put on the forty yd. dash, don't draft a player, and then when the kid is on the field, all of a sudden he is outrunning people. Angles and understanding routes are the key to being fast. You can't run go routes the whole time!

actually he run 4.51 about the same speed as da'rick rogers and reggie wayne

Reggie has never been a deep threat. He moves the chains and is great at it

brazil hilton rogers fleener and nicks will be the deep threats while whalen wayne are the slot guys. allen nicks and rogers the catch in traffic guys. bradshaw richardson and can get good yards off screens