Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nicks - Carolina made offer but ‘best fit’ is with Indy

HarassedOffTheSite

With the Colts, Nicks finds one of the best young quarterbacks in the league in Andrew Luck, as well as working with receivers Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton and tight end Dwayne Allen. Nicks said he saw himself as the missing piece to the Colts’ puzzle in a quest for the Super Bowl.

"...they made an offer when I talked to (Panthers general manager) Dave Gettleman, but you know it just didn’t pan out the right way. I feel like this is the best fit for me."

I don’t think there’s anything for me to prove. I think I just want to go out there and play football and win championships. My play speaks for itself. I’m always working in silence and letting the game speak loud.

I didn’t really like (any) of the situations, and I didn’t want to get myself in a long-term situation that I didn’t like, this is a great organization and a chance to show them what I can do and what I can bring to the table.

Yeah Andrew Luck is a draw but so is Cam Newton. And the jettisoning of Steve Smith would bode well for Nicks' numbers had he gone there. I think it is safe to say that his decision came down to money alone...not so much now, but going forward. The way DHB and his agent thought they could hit the jackpot by signing a 1 year deal here, making a big splash and then being re-signed for more when we have significant cap space, Nicks and his agent are more than likely thinking the exact same thing.

The difference is that Newton likes to run more then Luck.  If you are a WR looking to prove yourself this season in order to get a big contract next season you want to go with a guy that is going to throw more and give your more of a chance to get open.  

The difference is that Newton likes to run more then Luck.  If you are a WR looking to prove yourself this season in order to get a big contract next season you want to go with a guy that is going to throw more and give your more of a chance to get open.  

I thought Cam actually stopped running after a single read last year.  His issue was that he had a weak WR corp.  I think Nicks saw that the Panthers might take a step back next year offensively.  The Colts could be a juggernaut if healthy and the OL improves

I thought Cam actually stopped running after a single read last year.  His issue was that he had a weak WR corp.  I think Nicks saw that the Panthers might take a step back next year offensively.  The Colts could be a juggernaut if healthy and the OL improves

I havn't watched him, but I'm pretty sure that he's more apt to take off to gain yards then Luck is.  Luck I think hangs in the pocket as long as he can and only runs as a last resort.  

Not saying Cam runs after a single read but when the play breaks down what happens?  I'm guessing Cam runs for yards more often while Luck just tries to buy more time so someone can get open.