Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will We Carry 6 WRs?

Smonroe

I'd go with all 6 with Reggie's injury and Nicks history. But if the cut one I hope it's either Whalen or Brazil nit Rogers stupid to cut a potential #1 WR. His talent is way too special to just give to some other team

Off topic: Isn't the completion of the play in your avatar an incomplete pass? haha

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic: Isn't the completion of the play in your avatar an incomplete pass? haha

Maybe but at the time it was all I could find of Rogers lol and I'm always on mobile and can't change it so its just stayed

There was another pic but at the time the whole damn board was using it

I think we'll only carry 5. We may carry 6 if Reggie still isn't 100% by the time the season starts. They'll know what Reggie's health is like by the end of preseason and if he's back to form we'll only carry 5. I think it'll come down between Brazill and Whalen. It'll depend on who the coaching staff thinks has more talent and potential. It will have absolutely nothing to do with how well Whalen knows Luck or their past history in college. If the coaches think Brazill is more talented, he'll get the nod. If they think Whalen brings more to the team, then it'll be Whalen.

A player needs to be injured to be placed on the pup list or IR (INJURED reserve). Placing a non-injured player on the pup or IR is conniving and no player worth a damn would agree to it.

You really don't think teams sometimes find an "injury" to stash players on the the PUP or IR?  I think many players have and would agree to it and I don't think it is that "conniving"; it still counts against your salary cap and I think most teams have probably done it in one form or another at some point.

You really don't think teams sometimes find an "injury" to stash players on the the PUP or IR? I think many players have and would agree to it and I don't think it is that "conniving"; it still counts against your salary cap and I think most teams have probably done it in one form or another at some point.

Faking, or lying about an injury to add to the injury report and/or injured reserve list is probably a finable offense if the NFL bigwigs find out about it.

Faking, or lying about an injury to add to the injury report and/or injured reserve list is probably a findable offense if the NFL bigwigs find out about it.

It happens every single yr. with just about every single franchise. There is no way to prove a player really isn't injured. Thats why teams all have a doctor on the payroll. We kept Justin Anderson on IR all last season and he wasn't really injured, unless being fat and out of shape is an injury now.

It happens every single yr. with just about every single franchise. There is no way to prove a player really isn't injured. Thats why teams all have a doctor on the payroll. We kept Justin Anderson on IR all last season and he wasn't really injured, unless being fat and out of shape is an injury now.

Very true

Faking, or lying about an injury to add to the injury report and/or injured reserve list is probably a finable offense if the NFL bigwigs find out about it.

I believe it is more than just a monetary fine

A team can always find an "injury".  I think NFL knows this happens kind just kind of looks the other way.

I believe it is more than just a monetary fine

It recently came up when Talib claimed New England listed his injury as something other than it really was... and there was talk they could be fined. Buffalo and Washington got 20,000 dollars fines for manipulating the injury list. Injured reserve would be a rather sizable problem.

It recently came up when Talib claimed New England listed his injury as something other than it really was... and there was talk they could be fined. Buffalo and Washington got 20,000 dollars fines for manipulating the injury list. Injured reserve would be a rather sizable problem.

That is what I thought

There's a lot of time between now and September.....These things tend to have a way of sorting themselves out.

Guys can get hurt, arrested or any # of things that can make their time with the Colts short lived.

You really don't think teams sometimes find an "injury" to stash players on the the PUP or IR? I think many players have and would agree to it and I don't think it is that "conniving"; it still counts against your salary cap and I think most teams have probably done it in one form or another at some point.

Claiming a fake injury in order to place a person on IR is basically the definition of conniving. And as I said, no player worth a crap would happily go along with that garbage.

Claiming a fake injury in order to place a person on IR is basically the definition of conniving. And as I said, no player worth a crap would happily go along with that garbage.

When a practice is common within an industry and everyone knows everyone else does it, and it's more of a "wink, wink; nudge, nudge" thing between teams I don't think it rises to such a level that it is this big moral issue, and "conniving" that you are making it out to be.

There are many rules on the books that don't get followed to the letter; as long as everyone involved knows how the game is being played I say "no harm; no foul". Teams aren't supposed to contact players or agents of other teams during certain times either, but getting the word to an agent or player via "back roads" is another thing most teams know happens and as long as it isn't blatant everyone usually looks the other way, You don't think things go on at the combine, probowl, etc that technically break the rules? Whats the difference?

To think that businesses (including players) in any industry adhere to this high moral code and follow every rule and law to the letter is naive.

NE is notorious for manipulating the injury status list and everyone knows it, and 20,000 is basically a slap on the wrist saying "don't be so obvious"

Also no bottom of the second round rookie is going to put themselves in the "dog house" with management for the next 4 yrs to take a moral stand against being stashed on IR for a year.

Also no bottom of the second round rookie is going to put themselves in the "dog house" with management for the next 4 yrs to take a moral stand against being stashed on IR for a year.

It's wrong to do that to a healthy player and I reject the notion that this is some unwritten rule that teams are constantly taking advantage of. There are definitely times when teams IR players who would most likely be healthy enough to play before season end but that is completely different than stashing a fully healthy player on IR to keep him away from other teams.

Give me some examples where teams blatantly IR'd someone who was healthy. There should be plenty of examples since it's such a common practice.

It's wrong to do that to a healthy player and I reject the notion that this is some unwritten rule that teams are constantly taking advantage of. There are definitely times when teams IR players who would most likely be healthy enough to play before season end but that is completely different than stashing a fully healthy player on IR to keep him away from other teams.

Give me some examples where teams blatantly IR'd someone who was healthy. There should be plenty of examples since it's such a common practice.

Unfortunately I am not privy to the the medical reports of every player placed on IR, but there are suspicious PUP/IR additions every year especially right before the final cut date.

Balzer pointed out Justin Anderson earlier.

And without doing too much research you find a report of the Patriots blatantly doing it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/02/pats-stashing-of-jeff-demps-is-suspicious-but-dont-count-on-anything-happening/

If you think the practice is a rare and egregious breach of the morality & rules in the NFL, we are just going to have to agree to disagree because IMO a team skirting this NFL rule is more like the laws someone breaks by speeding or jaywalking.

Unfortunately I am not privy to the the medical reports of every player placed on IR, but there are suspicious PUP/IR additions every year especially right before the final cut date.

Balzer pointed out Justin Anderson earlier.

And without doing too much research you find a report of the Patriots blatantly doing it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/02/pats-stashing-of-jeff-demps-is-suspicious-but-dont-count-on-anything-happening/

If you think the practice is a rare and egregious breach of the morality & rules in the NFL, we are just going to have to agree to disagree because IMO a team skirting this NFL rule is more like the laws someone breaks by speeding or jaywalking.

Your examples of this possibly happening are:

1) Justin Anderson to IR, who the Colts clearly wanted to keep and were terrified of other teams lining up to steal him and 2) a story from Florio of PFT (reliable source) of a Patriot (read: PATRIOT), Jeff Demps, who was injured in last preseason game and "may" or "may not" have been hurt enough for IR.

Two instances of conjecture. That definitely seems like a league wide epidemic.

You really think that players and their agents would stand by while they were wrongfully IR'd? If this was such a common practice their would be tons of complaining coming from players and agents. It's bad business.

Griff Whalen did a great job taking over for TY in punt returns. I honestly think right now Brazill is the best of the 3, but rogers has the most potential. We'll have to carry 6.

I sure as heck don't ever want to see T.Y. Hilton return punts again... and with Vaughn gone they will need another return guy. So odds are it would be one of the lesser used 6 receivers. A real Clarance Verdin type of guy who specializes in the job.

Your examples of this possibly happening are:

1) Justin Anderson to IR, who the Colts clearly wanted to keep and were terrified of other teams lining up to steal him and 2) a story from Florio of PFT (reliable source) of a Patriot (read: PATRIOT), Jeff Demps, who was injured in last preseason game and "may" or "may not" have been hurt enough for IR.

Two instances of conjecture. That definitely seems like a league wide epidemic.

You really think that players and their agents would stand by while they were wrongfully IR'd? If this was such a common practice their would be tons of complaining coming from players and agents. It's bad business.

I never said it was an epidemic, I said I believed all teams did it to some degree and I still do.  If you want to believe that all (or the majority) of NFL teams and players are above such practices due in part to some moral objections that is your prerogative.  I have no intention of doing extensive research on this subject that due to its secretive nature would be nearly impossible to prove through internet searches, and that stemmed from a comment on a post about a player that odds are we will not draft anyway... so as I said before we will have to agree to disagree.

I never said it was an epidemic, I said I believed all teams did it to some degree and I still do.  If you want to believe that all (or the majority) of NFL teams and players are above such practices due in part to some moral objections that is your prerogative.  I have no intention of doing extensive research on this subject that due to its secretive nature would be nearly impossible to prove through internet searches, and that stemmed from a comment on a post about a player that odds are we will not draft anyway... so as I said before we will have to agree to disagree.

You suggested the Colts could draft a WR in the second round with a plan to healthy IR him after training camp in order to keep him from other teams. Did you not? That's ridiculous. If teams are doing that than it's an epidemic, but they aren't because any player and/or players agent (especially of a high caliber, top draft pick) would freak out if a team pulled that and the world would hear about it.

Yeah, we agree to disagree.

We are assuming Reggie is going to be ready at the start of the season. He is 35 and there are no guarantees he will come back to what he was. We need to carry 6 for that fact alone. If Reggie god forbid cannot start the season, gets placed on PUP, then Whalen is our possession receiver. Reggie says the rehab is going great, but we keep all 6 to be safe. Plus with the knee, how long does Reggie have. I only see two more years max. since his knees were hurting pups after games to begin with, so I would like to keep Griff as the possession guy, although if Nicks proves he can be what he was, that could change the equation some. I agree with everyone though if one has to go, at some point, I would like to keep Brazil due to speed and upside. The only thing that scares me is he is I believe only one infraction away from a year suspension, which has to enter the equation. Just some thoughts to chew on.

I think we go only with 4 RBs, hence yes, we will have 6 WRs and 3 TEs.

2 QBs, 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 9 OL for 24 on offense is what I think will happen.

Are you counting Havili as a RB? Sounds right. As a Buckeye I'm hoping Boom Heron makes the team, even if it's the PS.

Personally, I think he's better than Ballard. Not a popular opinion, I know.