Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleveland has the ability to match any contract we offer, and they have more cap room than us

What about their needs? Surely they won't outbid us to keep their Center if it means breaking their bank and precludes them from signing other FA's.

And if he doesn't sign? I'm just curious

Entirely?

If he don't sign with Cleveland if they would match our offer, then he's considered a hold out and he just won't play at all. That won't happen because Mack don't hate Cleveland, he just wants to keep his options open.

What about their needs? Surely they won't outbid us to keep their Center if it means breaking their bank and precludes them from signing other FA's.

Cleveland don't have as many needs as we do. They pretty much only lack a QB but they'll draft one and he'll be cheap. Cleveland has at least twice as much cap space as we do. So any offer we gave Mack, they could easily match and wouldn't really hurt them.

Meh. I wouldn't want to ever spend much more than 7m APY for a center. To get him out of the tag it would have to be similar to a poison pill anyways, so if anything it should be a monstrous first year hit that allows the rest of the year's hits to be less than 8m. 

There is a chance, its just going to involve us most likely sending a draft pick Clevelands way

Knowing Cleveland they would want our 1st again next yr., so I'll still say there isn't a chance. I say that with all hope that I'm wrong.

Meh. I wouldn't want to ever spend much more than 7m APY for a center. To get him out of the tag it would have to be similar to a poison pill anyways, so if anything it should be a monstrous first year hit that allows the rest of the year's hits to be less than 8m. 

Poison pill contracts aren't allowed anymore

If you want to be hopelessly optimistic. In reality, I still don't think there's a chance! 

(and I got the dumb and dumber reference) :thmup:

Yeah, but if Mack really really wants to move to Colts, there is a slim chance that Cleveland and Colts could work something out.

If this goes through, it won't be because we offer more that Cleveland will give, that much is a given IMO.

Yeah, but if Mack really really wants to move to Colts, there is a slim chance that Cleveland and Colts could work something out.

If this goes through, it won't be because we offer more that Cleveland will give, that much is a given IMO.

I hope like hell I'm wrong and something can be worked out. I just don't see it right now.

We don't have to give the Browns a draft pick to get him and Mack's agent said he can structure the contract in a way that the Browns couldn't match.

That would take some real creativity and I would love to see how he would do it. Because if there is anything in it that could be seen as some kind of poison pill, it'll never hold water and won't be allowed.

I hope like hell I'm wrong and something can be worked out. I just don't see it right now.

I still say our worse case scenario should be offering him a one year contract for the exact same amount he's getting under the tag with the agreement that neither tag can be used on him again next year.

We would win either way... :D

I still say our worse case scenario should be offering him a one year contract for the exact same amount he's getting under the tag with the agreement that either tag can't be used on him again.

and a goodwill gesture for him to sign here next year

Cleveland don't have as many needs as we do. They pretty much only lack a QB but they'll draft one and he'll be cheap. Cleveland has at least twice as much cap space as we do. So any offer we gave Mack, they could easily match and wouldn't really hurt them.

Meh they need:

1.Safety

2.Another WR

3.QB

4.RB

5.Guard

We need(immediate needs):

1.Center

2.Safety

Other then that we need alot of depth (Plenty of upgrades in other words)

I still say our worse case scenario should be offering him a one year contract for the exact same amount he's getting under the tag with the agreement that neither tag can be used on him again next year.

I still think Cleveland wouldn't have a problem matching that though. 

Meh they need:

1.Safety

2.Another WR

3.QB

4.RB

5.Guard

We need(immediate needs):

1.Center

2.Safety

Other then that we need alot of depth (Plenty of upgrades in other words)

Honestly... I am a big fan of Delano Howell, and obviously the front office is with showing no immediate rush to try to sign another safety, its going to come down to Howell and probably a rookie

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/03/13/pro-bowl-c-mack-wants-to-talk-to-colts/6378077/

"Anytime a player has a chance to talk with a team with a proven record like the Colts, (with) a quarterback and other weapons of the caliber Indy has, it certainly catches your attention," Mack said.

"I don't want to get into who has contacted me. I leave those questions for my agents.""I don't want to get into who has contacted me. I leave those questions for my agents."

"I'm willing to be patient with the process," he said.

"I'm willing to be patient with the process"....... He is perfect he already sounds like a Colt

Poison pill contracts aren't allowed anymore

Hence the words "similar to". Structure it with a 20m cap hit this and tell me they wouldn't hesitate. It isn't a poison pill because it isn't discriminating against the team that tagged him with some ridiculous stipulation like fully guaranteeing his contract if he plays more than 2 games in Cleveland. It would not be a stipulation at all.