Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Consolidated "We Overpaid for Player X" Thread

bavanlan

:colts:  

The Pinocchio Test

pinocchio_1.jpgOne Pinocchio

Some shading of the facts. Selective telling of the truth. Some omissions and exaggerations, but no outright falsehoods.

pinocchio_2.jpgTwo Pinocchios

Significant omissions and/or exaggerations. Some factual error may be involved but not necessarily. A poster can create a false, misleading impression by playing with words and using legalistic language that means little to the avg poster.

pinocchio_3.jpgThree Pinocchios

Significant factual error and/or obvious contradictions.

pinocchio_4.jpgFour Pinocchios

Whoppers.

I'm sorry but this thread needs to have "official" in the title before I can take it seriously.

Was intentionally avoided.   :thmsup:

Vontae Davis

The potential signing that prompted this thread.  He will be signed, people will complain...guaranteed.

Smart thinking. Because every single player that gets released gets a thread that includes: "What do you think about _____? He just got cut by _____ and I think he could do pretty well here."  Even if it's a 600 pound receiver with no arms, he'd get a thread about how badly we need him.

The Pinocchio Test

Some shading of the facts. Selective telling of the truth. Some omissions and exaggerations, but no outright falsehoods.

Significant omissions and/or exaggerations. Some factual error may be involved but not necessarily. A poster can create a false, misleading impression by playing with words and using legalistic language that means little to the avg poster.

Whoppers.

How about 1 Pinocchiowith a scale for the nose?

As long as we overpay for Oline and Dline I won't complain. Even DB I prefer us to overpay in defensive side and draft offense cause a QB like luck in his third year can make WR look awesome

really?  then what happened during that stretch of games after reggie first got hurt and the offense couldn't move the ball?

The Pinocchio Test

Whoppers.

This makes me feel a little edgy for some reason. :D

really?  then what happened during that stretch of games after reggie first got hurt and the offense couldn't move the ball?

Well you see, you are referring to Andrews 2nd year and he is thinking that in year 3 Andrew and his unit will make good progress and with the Greatest Prospects continued growth he will be able to make players LOOK better than what they really are because he will closer to ELITE, like a Tom Brady you see.

Well you see, you are referring to Andrews 2nd year and he is thinking that in year 3 Andrew and his unit will make good progress and with the Greatest Prospects continued growth he will be able to make players LOOK better than what they really are because he will closer to ELITE, like a Tom Brady you see.

This is assuming continued growth to the point of elite status.  That is not guaranteed.  I would say very likely, but certainly not guaranteed.  I don't think either Brady or Manning had reached that point by year 3 so the odds of Luck doing so are incredibly low.

Now I will fully admit that i missed the "in his third year" part of the post I quoted, but I still think that assuming Luck will reach that elite status by next year is incredibly wishful thinking.  

I agree 100%.

On top of that, I know we all think, want, and hope Reggie will be back and not lose a step this year but we have to plan on what we do if we don't have him.  

Thank YOU throwingbbs!!

I could be wrong, but I think BBs sarcasm may have went right over your head... lol

I hate the argument that we don't need good WRs because Andrew Luck will make them look better.  I am not arguing that he can make our WRs look better BUT wouldn't he make a really good WR look like a HOFer then?  

I hate the argument that we don't need good WRs because Andrew Luck will make them look better.  I am not arguing that he can make our WRs look better BUT wouldn't he make a really good WR look like a HOFer then?  

I hate that argument because the simple fact is that Luck is not to that point yet.  Maybe he will reach that point some day and if so we can then take that into consideration.  However, at this point in time and I would be more than willing to bet even by this time next year he still will not be at that elite level.  And that's not in any way a knock against him...it's just going to take time for him to get to that level, assuming he ever does.

I hate that argument because the simple fact is that Luck is not to that point yet.  Maybe he will reach that point some day and if so we can then take that into consideration.  However, at this point in time and I would be more than willing to bet even by this time next year he still will not be at that elite level.  And that's not in any way a knock against him...it's just going to take time for him to get to that level, assuming he ever does.

stop being so realistic. ;)