Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

James Jones interested in the Colts

I had much rather draft one of Mathews, Robinson, or Moncrief than sign Jones.

That assumes those receivers fall to us. We aren't picking at the top half of rounds, 20 plus teams will have to pass on those 3 players  in each round before we got the shot to draft 1 of them...you cant assume thats gonna happen.........Matthews isn't gonna sniff the bottom of the 2nd anyway

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's crazy is all the people who were complaining this season -- Why won't Grigson bring in another receiver? Brandon Lloyd is available!! -- are the same people talking about how little we need a receiver next year.

I will answer this as I was one.

Last off season, I asked what would happen if Reggie went down and that I did not like our chances with what we had in WR.  I was told to be patient, have faith, and other things like that.  I still continued and was against drafting Werner in the 1st and wanted us to trade down and get more picks to draft a WR.

None of that happened and I watched and waited.  When Reggie went down, we learnt quite a lot.  First, TY was not a #1 WR. Second, the Offense would have to be tweaked.  Third, that Griff and DaRick drew double coverage that would give TY a better chance to work.

Now I want to see what our group can do this next season, as I liked what I saw.

Would not be surprised if we sit pat or pick up an UDFA for depth.

JMOs.

James Jones catches the ball, uses his body well, can play inside and outside and is physical enough to beat jams at the line of scrimmage. He is an able blocking wideout too at 6'1", 208 lbs.

He is very capable of being a #2 wideout, IMO. He would come cheaper than an Eric Decker. 17 TDs in last 2 years with about 1600 yards, did I get that right? He is definitely worth a Wes Welker or Anquan Boldin type of deal at $6 mil. per year for a couple of years and I bet he takes it if that is offered. Plus, he is 29, definitely has a few years left in his tank.

Every cheap draft pick is the next biggest thing since sliced bread till they turn out to be another run-of-the-mill wideout trying to make their mark. James Jones is less capable than only Wayne and T.Y.Hilton on our squad. He is better than everyone else considering the whole package as a wideout.

More worried? No, that's false. Blatantly false. One actually has nothing to do with the other.

A person can acknowledge that we have greater needs than WR, yet still think that our WR corps can be strengthened. Why you and others think that it has to be all one way is beyond me and my mind's ability to understand.

When you go to the store, do you refuse to buy laundry detergent, insisting that toilet paper is the bigger need? "I need to wipe today, but I won't do laundry until Saturday. Put that Tide back!" Believe it or not, most people buy both at the same time, even though one is more important and more imminently needed than the other. I went to the furniture store to buy a couch, and would you believe I walked out with a couch AND A LAMP?!? And guess what -- I already have SEVERAL lamps!

I swear, man, sometimes you people just... seriously...

35 minutes into the day, and we've already got the best post of the day.  Well done, sir. 

P.S. the bolded portion - I know EXACTLY the feeling.  There just aren't words capable of describing some of the conversations I've had with people on here. 

James Jones catches the ball, uses his body well, can play inside and outside and is physical enough to beat jams at the line of scrimmage. He is an able blocking wideout too at 6'1", 208 lbs.

He is very capable of being a #2 wideout, IMO. He would come cheaper than an Eric Decker. 17 TDs in last 2 years with about 1600 yards, did I get that right? He is definitely worth a Wes Welker or Anquan Boldin type of deal at $6 mil. per year for a couple of years and I bet he takes it if that is offered. Plus, he is 29, definitely has a few years left in his tank.

Every cheap draft pick is the next biggest thing since sliced bread till they turn out to be another run-of-the-mill wideout trying to make their mark. James Jones is less capable than only Wayne and T.Y.Hilton on our squad. He is better than everyone else considering the whole package as a wideout.

I totally agree with this! I love how physical Jones plays and is a great red zone threat. I was hoping we would take a look at him once free agency starts.

I definitely don't think WR is a pressing need for this team but like you said, Jones would probably command a cheaper contract than Decker and honestly, I think he's just as good. I'm hoping for a contract somewhere in the $5 mil/yr range. I'm hoping Rogers can somehow develop into that #1 role in the future but right now, he's still too raw.

Now if we sign Decker to a ridiculous contract, I will rip my hair out!!!

You really think Griffin and Brazill`s potential are being over inflated? Both really came on strong towards the end of the season and showed the potential most were hoping for? Not sure how you gauge that 

I think both are ordinary. Brazill made some big plays and has more upside, but he could be suspended for 8 games if he fails another drug test. Whalen is very ordinary. I've rooted for him since he joined the team, and I like how hard he works and how he plays, but he's not anything special.

Neither player is good enough or has shown enough that I would feel compelled to hold off on adding another receiver ahead of them. 

Last off season, I asked what would happen if Reggie went down and that I did not like our chances with what we had in WR.  I was told to be patient, have faith, and other things like that.  I still continued and was against drafting Werner in the 1st and wanted us to trade down and get more picks to draft a WR.

None of that happened and I watched and waited.  When Reggie went down, we learnt quite a lot.  First, TY was not a #1 WR. Second, the Offense would have to be tweaked.  Third, that Griff and DaRick drew double coverage that would give TY a better chance to work.

Now I want to see what our group can do this next season, as I liked what I saw.

JMOs.

Last year was a different story. If being worried about Reggie Wayne wound up being prudent last year, then why wouldn't we be worried about him this year?

Not sure what you mean about Griff drawing double coverage. There's no such thing as that. He's more likely to be completely uncovered than to be double covered, especially in favor of double covering Hilton.

I like our young guys. I just don't think we're set at receiver, and don't understand the insistence that we should forget about improving on Whalen and Brazill, or even having a backup plan in case Rogers doesn't pan out for whatever reason.

This signing would make a lot more sense than a Decker type signing.  A #3 receiver is a need and signing a guy who has proved he can be a reliable #2 doesn't seem crazy when we don't know what Reggie will be like post injury.  Ideally we sign a #2 or #3 type guy, draft a receiver in the third or fifth round with potential and give them a little time to develop.  I don't like the idea of only drafting a receiver as they typically take some time to develop.  Reggie was called a bust his rookie year...  I'd give my thoughts on throwing all our eggs into the Rogers basket but Superman has already said everything better than I ever could.

Holy smokes you need to bail on this thread. You have compounded a misguided statement with every subsequent post.

When digging yourself a hole, stop digging.

What are you talking about?

How isn't it an upgrade? There's no certainty on whether Reggie Wayne will come back the same player next year and besides TY Hilton there is no other wide receiver that has shown themselves as great receiving threat on this team.

you wanna spend money on someone who will be no better then a 3 with no future on this team in the long run when we have ILB, pass rush, cover safety, center you know more pressing needs. but hey what do I know. im just another poster

you wanna spend money on someone who will be no better then a 3 with no future on this team in the long run when we have ILB, pass rush, cover safety, center you know more pressing needs. but hey what do I know. im just another poster

Oh dear god just stop. You are in over your head. This follow up is no better.

You sure he would be no better than wr3? Wayne is no spring chicken coming off a major injury.

If he is a fa target why on earth would you suggest he has no future with the team. That is remarkably bad logic.

For the love of all that is holy can people get it through their head that signing someone at position x does not mean they are forestalling position y.

You sure he would be no better than wr3? Wayne is no spring chicken coming off a major injury.

If he is a fa target why on earth would you suggest he has no future with the team. That is remarkably bad logic.

For the love of all that is holy can people get it through their head that signing someone at position x does not mean they are forestalling position y.

by future I mean he wont be a number 1. if you think james jones is a number 1 then you're over your head

But if the players at position y cost more money to sign we may not have money for position x

So you have to pick what one is more important this year

Thing is, it has nothing to do with our needs at other positions.

Also, I don't really want to spend money on this guy. Maybe stop setting up straw man arguments so you can sensationalize the issue, and try actually paying attention to what other people are saying.

I get what you're saying, but I'm looking at it as just insurance until we can find someone who can step up. Yes there are other needs on the team I completely agree. But receiver is a glaring need on this team because we can't always rely on Reggie Wayne. The offense half way died when Reggie went away, so lets have a cushion to soften the blow this time IF (big IF) something were to happen again, instead of going to first and second year backups, because we never know whats going to happen.

I get what you're saying, but I'm looking at it as just insurance until we can find someone who can step up. Yes there are other needs on the team I completely agree. But receiver is a glaring need on this team because we can't always rely on Reggie Wayne. The offense half way died when Reggie went away, so lets have a cushion to soften the blow this time IF (big IF) something were to happen again, instead of going to first and second year backups, because we never know whats going to happen.

I honestly believe ty is our future number one which is why I dont want us going for a wr. fleener allen brazil rogers and whalen are more then enough weapons for andrew

Thing is, it has nothing to do with our needs at other positions.

Also, I don't really want to spend money on this guy. Maybe stop setting up straw man arguments so you can sensationalize the issue, and try actually paying attention to what other people are saying.

nice assessment, however misguided. im not masking my argument by making a pointless gesture. what Im saying is what is the point of getting someone that doesnt really make the team any better when we can get actual pieces that will allow us to be a better team as a whole. you really wanna help andrew, give him more time to hit targets like wayne hilton allen fleener rogers brazil whalen ballard richardson and possibly bradshaw. thats more then enough weapons. you wanna help andrew even more? give him more possessions. you wanna know how? get more pass rush, a better ILB to go with freeman, and a cover safety so landry can stay down and attack the RB.

But if the players at position y cost more money to sign we may not have money for position x

So you have to pick what one is more important this year

We have $40m in cap space. I don't we need all that space to sign players at our most crucial positions of need. If Grigson wanted to earmark $5m/year for a veteran receiver, it would be simple enough to do it without neglecting any more critical positions of need.

When was the last time the Colts team ever played free agency for even a #2 or #3 on the WR front? Yep, its has been a long time.

I look at it this way. When you buy a house or maintain a house, you don't revamp all areas and all appliances at the same time if they all have fixed warranties of same duration. That is because you will have to replace or fix them all at the same time later. Same way with our rookie contracts for our WRs and TEs drafted along with Luck. When all of them come due at the same time, it will be nice to mix and match the guys in the skill position department and spread them out differently.

Hence, it would be nice to sign a WR in free agency for 3 yrs or so and stop dabbling in the 1 yr. stop gap options like DHB and Donnie Avery. Once that happens, when it is time to re-sign some rookies like Fleener, Brazil, Da'Rick Rogers, Allen etc., you have options with other rookies or a vet to get you through should you lose a few of them.

That is my take on it. Every smart GM does that.

We have $40m in cap space. I don't we need all that space to sign players at our most crucial positions of need. If Grigson wanted to earmark $5m/year for a veteran receiver, it would be simple enough to do it without neglecting any more critical positions of need.

True but some of the players at other needs may cost like 8 to 10 mil to get. Such as a Ward Byrd EDS and Asamoah

Also got to resign Vontae. But if we could get say Byrd EDS and Verner/Shields then a WR cool. But I also wouldn't mind upgrading one if the G spots

True but some of the players at other needs may cost like 8 to 10 mil to get. Such as a Ward Byrd EDS and Asamoah

Also got to resign Vontae. But if we could get say Byrd EDS and Verner/Shields then a WR cool. But I also wouldn't mind upgrading one if the G spots

So are you saying that you can't see how it could work, in theory? Or are you just stuck on the idea that we shouldn't sign a receiver?

So are you saying that you can't see how it could work, in theory? Or are you just stuck on the idea that we shouldn't sign a receiver?

My only problem with the WR is I don't see how we can sign the good guys at G C FS and CB but still have money to afford a WR

Just seems like that would use most of our cap

My only problem with the WR is I don't see how we can sign the good guys at G C FS and CB but still have money to afford a WR

Just seems like that would use m

That is what the GM's job is, managing the cap around those contracts.

If Louis Vasquez signed for 4 yrs. $23 mil., we should be able to get a reasonable center or OG for a good price. CB - we re-sign Vontae Davis and draft for depth.  Personally, if I had to choose, I'd choose Center over OG in free agency and develop Thornton more. Or move McGlynn to Center and sign an OG with Holmes backing up McGlynn. I really doubt we go after a C and OG in free agency, just one, IMO.

FS is the only one I'd spent the elite dough on outside re-signing Vontae Davis. Unlike last year, we can act early on the FS position and wait till the dust settles on the rest, we should get good quality at reasonable prices on the C, OG and WR front.

$40 mil. of cap space - say $8 mil. on a free safety, $8 mil. on Vontae Davis (he is not Revis :)), $6 mil. on a center not named Alex Mack, you can do the math and still see we will have enough to sign a 2nd tier wideout. The good teams that waited got the likes of Jake Long etc. for reasonable prices without breaking the bank. At one point, they said Jake Long wants $10-12 mil./yr and he ended up with avg. of $8 mil. when the dust settled (4 yrs for $34 mil. to be exact).

JMOs.

when exactly did Whalen drawed double coverage? or Rogers?

That is what the GM's job is, managing the cap around those contracts.

If Louis Vasquez signed for 4 yrs. $23 mil., we should be able to get a reasonable center or OG for a good price. CB - we re-sign Vontae Davis and draft for depth. Personally, if I had to choose, I'd choose Center over OG in free agency and develop Thornton more. Or move McGlynn to Center and sign an OG with Holmes backing up McGlynn. I really doubt we go after a C and OG in free agency, just one, IMO.

FS is the only one I'd spent the elite dough on outside re-signing Vontae Davis. Unlike last year, we can act early on the FS position and wait till the dust settles on the rest, we should get good quality at reasonable prices on the C, OG and WR front.

$40 mil. of cap space - say $8 mil. on a free safety, $8 mil. on Vontae Davis, $6 mil. on a center not named Alex Mack, you can do the math and still see we will have enough to sign a 2nd tier wideout. The good teams that waited got the likes of Jake Long etc. for reasonable prices without breaking the bank.

IMO I don't think we should go into next year with Toler. We need to cut him now and replace him he is a liability with his health. Don't give him a chance to hurt our D again. Also at G who knows if you can trust Thomas for a full year he has already had 2 season ending surgeries. I agree on S we can't keep playing 2 SS.

I like the idea of signing EDS from GB if we can. Also think I'd be nice to get Asamoah to pair with Thorton for the future at G

nice assessment, however misguided. im not masking my argument, but making a pointless gesture. what Im saying is what is the point of getting someone that doesnt really make the team any better when we can get actual pieces that will allow us to be a better team as a whole. you really wanna help andrew, give him more time to hit targets like wayne hilton allen fleener rogers brazil whalen ballard richardson and possibly bradshaw. thats more then enough weapons. you wanna help andrew even more? give him more possessions. you wanna know how? get more pass rush, a better ILB to go with freeman, and a cover safety so landry can stay down and attack the RB.

1) Someone like James Jones would make the team better, because he's better and/or more proven than everyone we have outside of Reggie and TY, and Reggie isn't a sure thing moving forward. Perhaps you don't see it that way, but that's a separate issue.

2) None of the rest of your post has anything to do with whether we could or would be helped by a better receiving corps. Adding a veteran receiver doesn't prevent us from improving the offensive line or the defense. When someone says "I think we should add a receiver," or a player at any other position, it's not because they think it's more important than anything else, or that it should be done at the expense of anything else. Like I said, this is a straw man argument.

Just seems like that would use most of our cap

Like chad72 says, it can work. GMs get paid to manage the cap. Signing someone like James Jones -- assuming he's a three year, $5m/year kind of guy, which I think he is -- wouldn't prevent us from being able to sign players at the other positions. 

Well, if the Colts are going to go after another receiver and have a loaded receiving core (Wayne, Hilton, Allen, Fleener and a new guy), then one would hope that Luck is given more control over the offense. Why have a great receiving core if Pagano is committed to being a power run team? LET ER RIP JI..... ANDY.

IMO I don't think we should go into next year with Toler. We need to cut him now and replace him he is a liability with his health. Don't give him a chance to hurt our D again. Also at G who knows if you can trust Thomas for a full year he has already had 2 season ending surgeries. I agree on S we can't keep playing 2 SS.

CBs are easier to draft and develop than a safety, OL or DL. That is why I am not too worried there. Man coverage comes natural to most talented CBs and this draft is deep on the CB front too, just like the WR front. Plus, I trust Pagano's secondary coaching having developed the likes of Ladarius Webb and revived Darius Butler's career too.

OG - I still think there are the likes of Zane Beadles of Broncos, Chad Rinehart of Chargers that may come cheaper than Asamoah without breaking the bank

We can sign a FS, OG, C, WR and still have money left for additional DL depth too if Grigson manages the cap smartly, IMO.

CBs are easier to draft and develop than a safety, OL or DL. That is why I am not too worried there. Man coverage comes natural to most talented CBs and this draft is deep on the CB front too, just like the WR front. Plus, I trust Pagano's secondary coaching having developed the likes of Ladarius Webb and revived Darius Butler's career too.

OG - I still think there are the likes of Zane Beadles of Broncos, Chad Rinehart of Chargers that may come cheaper than Asamoah without breaking the bank

We can sign a FS, OG, C, WR and still have money left for additional DL depth too if Grigson manages the cap smartly, IMO.

But in the draft were gonna have to look at ILB pretty early you'd think?

But in the draft were gonna have to look at ILB pretty early you'd think?

I think the quality ILBs will be gone by round 3, so yes. However, we can get a quality CB in round 5 and still develop him. But I still think we go BPA in the rounds 2 and 3 since this draft is deeper than it is top loaded.

That is why signing a stop gap like Karlos Dansby or Daryl Smith as a stop gap for insurance makes sense so that we can draft BPA and go from there.

I think the quality ILBs will be gone by round 3, so yes. However, we can get a quality CB in round 5 and still develop him. But I still think we go BPA in the rounds 2 and 3 since this draft is deeper than it is top loaded.

I'm hoping we can get Smallwood in the draft