Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

James Jones interested in the Colts

If the Packers can't get a deal done with Jones, he's stated that he'd like to go somewhere with a good young QB. (What Wide Receiver wouldn't though?) Stating 3 teams, Colts, Chargers, and Seahawks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330815/article/james-jones-prefers-pack-but-eyes-colts-chargers?campaign=Twitter_atl

"I've thought about places that I would like to go play, whether it's in Indy or there's coming back home, San Diego or somewhere. Teams have popped up in my head. I can't say I haven't thought about it, but in a perfect world I'd love to go back (to Green Bay)."

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

care to explain

He's better and has more experience than Lavon Brazill and Griff Whalen. He's more proven and experienced than Da'Rick Rogers. He'd be a fine stopgap for us, competing for the #3 spot. And that's before mentioning the uncertainty of Reggie Wayne's comeback.

I'm not really advocating that we sign him, but I disagree -- vehemently -- with the statement that he wouldn't be an upgrade over what we have now.

He's better and has more experience than Lavon Brazill and Griff Whalen. He's more proven and experienced than Da'Rick Rogers. He'd be a fine stopgap for us, competing for the #3 spot. And that's before mentioning the uncertainty of Reggie Wayne's comeback.

I'm not really advocating that we sign him, but I disagree -- vehemently -- with the statement that he wouldn't be an upgrade over what we have now.

so hes better then our 3 4 and 5 so what. hes not our future number one

James Jones > Da'Rick Rogers, LaVon Brazill, Griff Whalen

I know everyone likes to think we've got some hidden gems in those guys, but right now they are nothing more than bodies. Combined they've played 5 years and have 800 yards receiving. 

Rogers might be something. But he's very unreliable to this point, for several reasons. People are severely over-inflating the potential of Whalen and Brazill, though. If either of those two guys -- or both -- are released in favor of a better player, then so be it.

James Jones > Da'Rick Rogers, LaVon Brazill, Griff Whalen

I know everyone likes to think we've got some hidden gems in those guys, but right now they are nothing more than bodies. Combined they've played 5 years and have 800 yards receiving. 

read my post to superman

So what? Are we only going to play two receivers next year? Is there some logical reason we should neglect upgrading our #3 receiver?

we're gonna waste money on a position that doesnt need upgrading?

What I would do is not adress WR at all in this draft or free agency. This season I would like to see if Lavon Brazill, D rogers, and griff whalen are really who we think they are. If we can get a break out season from one of the 3, then we could end up finding our future 1 without even doing anything. If nobody breaks out or if we still feel like we are missing something. Address WR in next years draft or free agency.

If we're going to sign a WR (which I'm not completely convinced that we have to) then I would rather sign Jones than Decker. I think either one of these two would end up being the #3 behind Reggie and TY. While Decker is better than Jones, he's also going to cost significantly more and I don't want to pay #1 money for a guy that is going to be the #3.

I think the question is, what is the difference in cost going to be between James Jones and Eric Decker?

I think it will be a huuuuge difference. I think James Jones will get $5m/year or something like that. Decker will get $10m+/year.

no. thats in no way an upgrade from what we have now

How isn't it an upgrade? There's no certainty on whether Reggie Wayne will come back the same player next year and besides TY Hilton there is no other wide receiver that has shown themselves as great receiving threat on this team.

I think it will be a huuuuge difference. I think James Jones will get $5m/year or something like that. Decker will get $10m+/year.

James Jones wouldn't be bad for $5 million a year. Normally I like getting the best player, but they are close enough in this case I'd take Jones and save $5 million.

Putting it like this, we can get either the combo of James Jones and De La Puente for $12 million and fill two major needs, or get Eric Decker and a depth player for the same amount. Which sounds better? Also, we can make an offer for Byrd this way.

we're gonna waste money on a position that doesnt need upgrading?

Holy smokes you need to bail on this thread. You have compounded a misguided statement with every subsequent post.

When digging yourself a hole, stop digging.

James Jones wouldn't be bad for $5 million a year. Normally I like getting the best player, but they are close enough in this case I'd take Jones and save $5 million.

I'm personally not all that interested. I don't think it's a bad idea, but there are a dozen guys we could draft from the third to the seventh that could be good depth and potentially become good #2s or even #1s in a couple years.

I just reject the idea that we are set at receiver, and anyone who isn't going to be a #1 isn't worth the time of day. It's shortsighted, at best. Doesn't mean we need to sign Eric Decker or trade up and draft Marqise Lee. But a supplemental addition, one way or another, would make sense.

I'm personally not all that interested. I don't think it's a bad idea, but there are a dozen guys we could draft from the third to the seventh that could be good depth and potentially become good #2s or even #1s in a couple years.

I just reject the idea that we are set at receiver, and anyone who isn't going to be a #1 isn't worth the time of day. It's shortsighted, at best. Doesn't mean we need to sign Eric Decker or trade up and draft Marqise Lee. But a supplemental addition, one way or another, would make sense.

The chances of the Colts going into this upcoming season with a WR corps of Wayne, Hilton, Rogers, Whalen, & Brazill are slim and none.  There will be an addition - maybe a draft pick or may be a FA.  It may even be both which will freak this place out.  But no way they stand pat.  None.

The chances of the Colts going into this upcoming season with a WR corps of Wayne, Hilton, Rogers, Whalen, & Brazill are slim and none.  There will be an addition - maybe a draft pick or may be a FA.  It may even be both which will freak this place out.  But no way they stand pat.  None.

What's crazy is all the people who were complaining this season -- Why won't Grigson bring in another receiver? Brandon Lloyd is available!! -- are the same people talking about how little we need a receiver next year.

At least he can catch the ball..

I've seen him drop a lot of passes, but that's not my concern. He has character issues and attitude problems. Pagano could fix that, but he seems like he'd be a cancer to the locker room, and the reward isn't high enough to sign him. Unless we sign another receiver in the draft as well, I wouldn't consider it.

I had much rather draft one of Mathews, Robinson, or Moncrief than sign Jones.

That's fine, but when you're taking one of those guys in the 2nd round (and that's where we'd need to take them)  then you're NOT taking a much needed defensive player in that spot.

Beyond the interior o-line needs (which I hope we address in free agency)  I think the needs on defense far outweigh the needs on offense.....     and I'm someone who wants to acquire another quality WR....   just not necessarily a future #1.

I think we can do that next year.