Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

James Jones interested in the Colts

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of people will scoff at me, but I wouldn't mind bringing in Kenny Britt on a one year, prove it deal.

I wouldn't mind bringing him in just to kick the tires & he what he can do Peytnator. He was a good WR threat in Tennessee.

I'd be curious to hear Matthew Hasselbeck's assessment of him as a Titans WR during his tenure as QB there. 

Anybody that mentions that they wanna play with Luck if GB bids you farewell is worth sitting down for chat.

If you respect my favorite team & mention my field general personally, I gotta hear your WR sales pitch live on site Mr. Jones. Due diligence baby...Kick over every rock, especially when they speak highly of INDY publicly. Mutual admiration on both sides can be a beautiful thing. 

I wouldn't mind bringing him in just to kick the tires & he what he can do Peytnator. He was a good WR threat in Tennessee.

I'd be curious to hear Matthew Hasselbeck's assessment of him as a Titans WR during his tenure as QB there. 

Exactly, worse thing that could happen is he comes in and shows why he was benched in Tennessee and we cut him. He was a first round draft pick with tons of physical ability. Maybe he regains his early form and we have a free agency steal.

I'd favor seeing who slides to us in the draft at WR, that is if we can properly address some of the other needs on the team in free agency. If we can bring in the right guys on the O-line and defense in free agency, we might have a good opportunity to catch a sleeper at 59. If Robinson fell that far I'd be pumped, I think he'd be a great fit.

Exactly, worse thing that could happen is he comes in and shows why he was benched in Tennessee and we cut him. He was a first round draft pick with tons of physical ability. Maybe he regains his early form and we have a free agency steal.

I can't argue with that buddy. Plus, Tennessee was always a black & blue physical squad that seemed to be a bruiser team & you always want to grab players that were a thorn in your division or athletes who were a consistent TD threat in any QTR.

Besides, elite squads with veteran leadership make any player with discipline issues fall in line pretty darn quick. Plus, 11 wins & a Playoffs spot makes you keep your nose clean & work your caboose off. 

Absolutely love the idea of signing Jones.  I think his quote is partially just posturing so that the Packers know he's willing to test free agency...at the same token, I think he would be a fantastic addition.  I doubt he'd be asking Eric Decker money.  So as long as he's realistic (whatever that may mean for him vis a vis the Colts) with his offer, signing him would narrow our draft strategy in a much better manner than if we signed some other high priced free agent.

James Jones > Da'Rick Rogers, LaVon Brazill, Griff Whalen

I know everyone likes to think we've got some hidden gems in those guys, but right now they are nothing more than bodies. Combined they've played 5 years and have 800 yards receiving.

Rogers has had not even half a season. I'm never gonna understand how everyone is just giving up on him. The poor guy hasn't even had an offseason with his QB and everyone thinks he needs replaced. Give the guy a chance for crying out loud. Not to mention he was a rookie.

Rogers has had not even half a season. I'm never gonna understand how everyone is just giving up on him. The poor guy hasn't even had an offseason with his QB and everyone thinks he needs replaced. Give the guy a chance for crying out loud. Not to mention he was a rookie.

I never said replace him, I just can't fathom how people feel 100% confident in having a receiving corps of a freshly injured, and aging Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, and the formidable trio of Griff Whalen, Da'Rick Rogers, and LaVon Brazill. I am all for giving these three a chance to earn their spot, but bringing in a veteran presence at WR does not mean I wish for them to just be cut. Let training camp determine who gets cut. Hell we might even be able to stash Whalen back on the PS or just carry six until the inevitable injury happens.

Also for the record, Rogers is the one guy out of those three that I appears to have the most potential, so I am all for giving him his fair shake.

I never said replace him, I just can't fathom how people feel 100% confident in having a receiving corps of a freshly injured, and aging Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, and the formidable trio of Griff Whalen, Da'Rick Rogers, and LaVon Brazill. I am all for giving these three a chance to earn their spot, but bringing in a veteran presence at WR does not mean I wish for them to just be cut. Let training camp determine who gets cut. Hell we might even be able to stash Whalen back on the PS or just carry six until the inevitable injury happens.

Also for the record, Rogers is the one guy out of those three that I appears to have the most potential, so I am all for giving him his fair shake.

Thing is everyone wants to bring in WRs to push him further down the line so he won't get any chances to show what he has. In college he was as productive as most of the WRs in this draft. Everyone is ok with drafting a WR to develop but won't wait and see what Rogers has to offer with a full season. What's to say he don't turn out better then every WR in his draft class and this one?

Ps I don't mean this towards you just alot of people on here in general

Thing is everyone wants to bring in WRs to push him further down the line so he won't get any chances to show what he has. In college he was as productive as most of the WRs in this draft. Everyone is ok with drafting a WR to develop but won't wait and see what Rogers has to offer with a full season. What's to say he don't turn out better then every WR in his draft class and this one?

Ps I don't mean this towards you just alot of people on here in general

I get your point but you have to realize that as long as the coaches are doing their jobs right, the better players will get more playing time. I would very much like to see Rogers become a dominant receiver, but you can't get too hung up on his potential. If he comes to camp and plays like Calvin Johnson, nobody will keep him on the bench in favor of James Jones just for investment reasons. 

I get your point but you have to realize that as long as the coaches are doing their jobs right, the better players will get more playing time. I would very much like to see Rogers become a dominant receiver, but you can't get too hung up on his potential. If he comes to camp and plays like Calvin Johnson, nobody will keep him on the bench in favor of James Jones just for investment reasons.

eeehh not sure about that it took I don't know how long for us to replace DHB

eeehh not sure about that it took I don't know how long for us to replace DHB

Yeah but it's not like we had an obvious replacement, and he didn't REALLY get bad until the second half of the season. He wasn't ever good, but he didn't have the drops quite as bad until later. Plus Brazill was suspended early, and I don't believe Rogers was picked up until later in the season. 

Yeah for some very odd reason. Our D made backup QBs look like Peyton Manning but were more worried about a WR

More worried? No, that's false. Blatantly false. One actually has nothing to do with the other.

A person can acknowledge that we have greater needs than WR, yet still think that our WR corps can be strengthened. Why you and others think that it has to be all one way is beyond me and my mind's ability to understand.

When you go to the store, do you refuse to buy laundry detergent, insisting that toilet paper is the bigger need? "I need to wipe today, but I won't do laundry until Saturday. Put that Tide back!" Believe it or not, most people buy both at the same time, even though one is more important and more imminently needed than the other. I went to the furniture store to buy a couch, and would you believe I walked out with a couch AND A LAMP?!? And guess what -- I already have SEVERAL lamps!

I swear, man, sometimes you people just... seriously...

Yeah but it's not like we had an obvious replacement, and he didn't REALLY get bad until the second half of the season. He wasn't ever good, but he didn't have the drops quite as bad until later. Plus Brazill was suspended early, and I don't believe Rogers was picked up until later in the season.

I just see the holes in the D as a bigger need then WR. Would much rather have a better o line and a real FS

More worried? No, that's false. Blatantly false. One actually has nothing to do with the other.

A person can acknowledge that we have greater needs than WR, yet still think that our WR corps can be strengthened. Why you and others think that it has to be all one way is beyond me and my mind's ability to understand.

When you go to the store, do you refuse to buy laundry detergent, insisting that toilet paper is the bigger need? "I need to wipe today, but I won't do laundry until Saturday. Put that Tide back!" Believe it or not, most people buy both at the same time, even though one is more important and more imminently needed than the other. I went to the furniture store to buy a couch, and would you believe I walked out with a couch AND A LAMP?!? And guess what -- I already have SEVERAL lamps!

I swear, man, sometimes you people just... seriously...

problem is we can't bring in great players at every position of need. Some reports have us intrested in Decker. No way would I wanna pay what he wants when for a little more we can REALLY improve our pass D with Byrd. Also would rather have some of the star interior O linemen instead of a WR. So instead of getting 6 mid and low level FA some would rather have less signings but of star players

Rogers was picked up, but on the practice squad. And I think the reason he stayed on the practice squad so long is because he had exhibited knucklehead-ish behavior in Buffalo, after exhibiting knucklehead-ish behavior at Tennessee Tech, and that after being a knucklehead and getting arrested for bar fighting, then suspended for multiple drug violations at Tennessee. All that knuckleheadism resulted in him going undrafted, despite being one of the most physically gifted receivers in the draft. He should have easily been a top 100 player (he was compared favorably to Julio Jones before the draft), but between all of the character concerns, he fell out of the draft entirely.

He came here after Buffalo cut him at the end of preseason, and then he cleared waivers -- the Bills didn't even want him on the practice squad -- and sat around for a week before we signed him. Buffalo cut him because, after being a part of their offseason program, he hadn't put forth the effort to learn the playbook and wasn't exactly wowing the coaches with his work ethic and attitude. Doug Marrone said after final cuts that they felt the players they kept were better than the players they released, and that was in response to being asked why they cut Rogers. Did they really think Marcus Easley and Chris Hogan were better players than Da'Rick Rogers? He outproduced both of them combined, despite being active for only three games. (Rogers could have failed a drug test, which Marrone would be obligated to keep confidential. That's complete speculation on my part.)

So we signed him and put him on the practice squad until November (aside from a one week active roster assignment in Week 3, after which he was released and cleared waivers again). The way Rogers put it himself is that he had to prove to the team that they could trust him. He decided to work harder and be a model citizen, and was eventually called up to the active roster late in the season. Off-topic, but I believe that he still has practice squad eligibility next season, because he was called up so late in the season. 

I go to these lengths only to highlight why it is that Da'Rick Rogers can't just be penciled in as a reliable option at receiver. We all know that he's physically gifted and capable of being a good player in the NFL, but he has some significant question marks on his record. The Colts grabbed him as a reclamation project. Everyone knows that he's physically talented, but it's incredibly premature to refer to him as the reason we don't need to do anything at receiver.

problem is we can't bring in great players at every position of need. Some reports have us intrested in Decker. No way would I wanna pay what he wants when for a little more we can REALLY improve our pass D with Byrd. Also would rather have some of the star interior O linemen instead of a WR. So instead of getting 6 mid and low level FA some would rather have less signings but of star players

This thread isn't about Decker. It's about a second or maybe even third tier receiver that will probably be available for a reasonable amount of money.

But forget that, we have $40m in cap space. We could splurge on a luxury player if we wanted. I don't think we should, but I'm beginning to resent the whole "we don't need a receiver, we need [insert different position]!" The resentment is on multiple levels, by the way. Not only does adding a receiver NOT mean that we don't recognize the greater and more immediate need for players at other positions, but all things considered, we actually DO need a receiver.

I just see the holes in the D as a bigger need then WR. Would much rather have a better o line and a real FS

As do I my friend. The needs are not mutually exclusive. Signing James Jones, or Jericho Cotchery, or even Sydney Rice would not break the bank to where we can't make significant moves to improve the defense. We have $40 million bro.

This thread isn't about Decker. It's about a second or maybe even third tier receiver that will probably be available for a reasonable amount of money.

But forget that, we have $40m in cap space. We could splurge on a luxury player if we wanted. I don't think we should, but I'm beginning to resent the whole "we don't need a receiver, we need [insert different position]!" The resentment is on multiple levels, by the way. Not only does adding a receiver NOT mean that we don't recognize the greater and more immediate need for players at other positions, but all things considered, we actually DO need a receiver.

Ok put it this way if we can actually UPGRADE C G FS And CB then got a WR I wouldn't mind it

As do I my friend. The needs are not mutually exclusive. Signing James Jones, or Jericho Cotchery, or even Sydney Rice would not break the bank to where we can't make significant moves to improve the defense. We have $40 million bro.

Like I told superman if we could get say Byrd EDS Verner and maybe Asamoah then get a WR so be it I wouldn't mind

Rogers was picked up, but on the practice squad. And I think the reason he stayed on the practice squad so long is because he had exhibited knucklehead-ish behavior in Buffalo, after exhibiting knucklehead-ish behavior at Tennessee Tech, and that after being a knucklehead and getting arrested for bar fighting, then suspended for multiple drug violations at Tennessee. All that knuckleheadism resulted in him going undrafted, despite being one of the most physically gifted receivers in the draft. He should have easily been a top 100 player (he was compared favorably to Julio Jones before the draft), but between all of the character concerns, he fell out of the draft entirely.

He came here after Buffalo cut him at the end of preseason, and then he cleared waivers -- the Bills didn't even want him on the practice squad -- and sat around for a week before we signed him. Buffalo cut him because, after being a part of their offseason program, he hadn't put forth the effort to learn the playbook and wasn't exactly wowing the coaches with his work ethic and attitude. Doug Marrone said after final cuts that they felt the players they kept were better than the players they released, and that was in response to being asked why they cut Rogers. Did they really think Marcus Easley and Chris Hogan were better players than Da'Rick Rogers? He outproduced both of them combined, despite being active for only three games. (Rogers could have failed a drug test, which Marrone would be obligated to keep confidential. That's complete speculation on my part.)

So we signed him and put him on the practice squad until November (aside from a one week active roster assignment in Week 3, after which he was released and cleared waivers again). The way Rogers put it himself is that he had to prove to the team that they could trust him. He decided to work harder and be a model citizen, and was eventually called up to the active roster late in the season. Off-topic, but I believe that he still has practice squad eligibility next season, because he was called up so late in the season. 

I go to these lengths only to highlight why it is that Da'Rick Rogers can't just be penciled in as a reliable option at receiver. We all know that he's physically gifted and capable of being a good player in the NFL, but he has some significant question marks on his record. The Colts grabbed him as a reclamation project. Everyone knows that he's physically talented, but it's incredibly premature to refer to him as the reason we don't need to do anything at receiver.

That was very enlightening. I hadn't heard much about the guy until late in the season when Rob Lowe and a couple others started mentioning him in every thread. I kinda just wrote it off as 'Roy Hall-syndrome'. I hope he keeps his head on straight and turns into Julio Jones. 

Ok put it this way if we can actually UPGRADE C G FS And CB then got a WR I wouldn't mind it

Just to repeat, I don't think the best value is with signing a veteran receiver. I'd rather draft a guy at some point this year. I just don't think we should neglect the receiver position just because people perceive other positions as more important. We should try to build a complete roster, and that includes improving WR if reasonable opportunities present themselves.

Just to repeat, I don't think the best value is with signing a veteran receiver. I'd rather draft a guy at some point this year. I just don't think we should neglect the receiver position just because people perceive other positions as more important. We should try to build a complete roster, and that includes improving WR if reasonable opportunities present themselves.

If we did go WR I would MUCH rather it be in the draft that's for sure I'd spend a 4th or 5th but we don't have a 4th just think with the 2nd and 3rd I'd rather grab an ILB and DE

That was very enlightening. I hadn't heard much about the guy until late in the season when Rob Lowe and a couple others started mentioning him in every thread. I kinda just wrote it off as 'Roy Hall-syndrome'. I hope he keeps his head on straight and turns into Julio Jones. 

As do I. It might happen. But it's kind of like hoping that the hippie doofus your sister is dating cuts his hair and finally keeps a job. It could happen, but don't bet your mortgage payment on it. We shouldn't put all our eggs in the Da'Rick Rogers basket. Sometimes knuckleheads straighten up and fly right, but nine times out of ten, they don't.

Rogers might be something. But he's very unreliable to this point, for several reasons. People are severely over-inflating the potential of Whalen and Brazill, though. If either of those two guys -- or both -- are released in favor of a better player, then so be it.

You really think Griffin and Brazill`s potential are being over inflated? Both really came on strong towards the end of the season and showed the potential most were hoping for? Not sure how you gauge that 

That's fine, but when you're taking one of those guys in the 2nd round (and that's where we'd need to take them)  then you're NOT taking a much needed defensive player in that spot.

Beyond the interior o-line needs (which I hope we address in free agency)  I think the needs on defense far outweigh the needs on offense.....     and I'm someone who wants to acquire another quality WR....   just not necessarily a future #1.

I think we can do that next year.

I'm feeling what you're saying here. However, despite the limited draft picks, I feel we should still just take the best player available (with reasonable exceptions that would exclude us from picking a positions we don't need in early rounds). It certainly seems our defense needs the help more than the offense, but quite frankly if we get to that second round picks and there's a receiver who we think is better than the next ILB, CB, etc... available I still think we should take the WR. That's just my opinion. I feel that's how good teams our made. I just hope Grigson chooses the player he thinks has the most quality available at that time.