Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

James Jones interested in the Colts

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly believe ty is our future number one which is why I dont want us going for a wr. fleener allen brazil rogers and whalen are more then enough weapons for andrew

I agree TY could potentially be a number one in the future. But I don't agree on Rogers/Brazill/Whalen being enough right now.

1) Someone like James Jones would make the team better, because he's better and/or more proven than everyone we have outside of Reggie and TY, and Reggie isn't a sure thing moving forward. Perhaps you don't see it that way, but that's a separate issue.

2) None of the rest of your post has anything to do with whether we could or would be helped by a better receiving corps. Adding a veteran receiver doesn't prevent us from improving the offensive line or the defense. When someone says "I think we should add a receiver," or a player at any other position, it's not because they think it's more important than anything else, or that it should be done at the expense of anything else. Like I said, this is a straw man argument.

do you even know what a straw man argument is? its using irrelevant information to support your argument. im not doing that because my claim is relevant in the way that if we pay for jones it takes away from other positions that really needs to be addressed. thats money we could use on something that makes the team better as a whole. is he better then our 3 4 5? of course, but its not helping the team protect andrew or get to the qb on defense because we're wasting money on something that is more of a luxury then a need

Last year was a different story. If being worried about Reggie Wayne wound up being prudent last year, then why wouldn't we be worried about him this year?

Not sure what you mean about Griff drawing double coverage. There's no such thing as that. He's more likely to be completely uncovered than to be double covered, especially in favor of double covering Hilton.

I like our young guys. I just don't think we're set at receiver, and don't understand the insistence that we should forget about improving on Whalen and Brazill, or even having a backup plan in case Rogers doesn't pan out for whatever reason.

First, last year , I was not sure about our WRs and wanted to draft Reggie's replacement in the 1st and get a project pass rusher in the 3rd or 4th rounds.  After watching TY, Griff and DaRick step-up after Reggie went down, I would like to see what they can do this next season, even if Reggie is only a part timer. 

Who do you double cover, the fast, deep threat WR, who only gets 5-7 targets a game or the WR who is not as fast but runs the short /intermediate routes and gets 15-20 targets a game.  When TY gets doubled, he disappears.

I would like 1 more year to see if the last part of the season was a fluke or the start of a good Receiving corps.  IMO, getting an UDFA for depth makes sense, for this year.

when exactly did Whalen drawed double coverage? or Rogers?

Most of the time.  When Reggie went down and TY disappeared, that was because TY has trouble with double coverage.  If Griff and Darick had not drawn double coverage, TY would not been as go as he was.

Not knocking TY.  He has little or no explosion out of his cuts (reason he rounds them).

I would pass on Jones i think he's overrated. For the 5+ mil a year salary he's going to command i would rather just play Rogers, Brazil, and Whalen. He's never had more then 900 rec yards in a season in 7 years and he's doesn't have the speed that Rogers and Brazil have. I don't think he's much better then the guys we have. With a full training camp i think Rogers could put up similar numbers if not better during the season but on a much lesser salary.

Most of the time.  When Reggie went down and TY disappeared, that was because TY has trouble with double coverage.  If Griff and Darick had not drawn double coverage, TY would not been as go as he was.

Not knocking TY.  He has little or no explosion out of his cuts (reason he rounds them).

I honestly dont remember a single time either draw double coverage

First, last year , I was not sure about our WRs and wanted to draft Reggie's replacement in the 1st and get a project pass rusher in the 3rd or 4th rounds.  After watching TY, Griff and DaRick step-up after Reggie went down, I would like to see what they can do this next season, even if Reggie is only a part timer. 

Who do you double cover, the fast, deep threat WR, who only gets 5-7 targets a game or the WR who is not as fast but runs the short /intermediate routes and gets 15-20 targets a game.  When TY gets doubled, he disappears.

I would like 1 more year to see if the last part of the season was a fluke or the start of a good Receiving corps.  IMO, getting an UDFA for depth makes sense, for this year.

I don't really think Griff and Da'Rick stepped up. They had some decent performances, but I think our receiving corps really struggled after Reggie got hurt. That's the primary reason I think we need another receiver. I felt like we would get by with what we had, assuming no one got hurt, but the best of them got hurt. Can't predict injuries, but you can plan for them. And our plan wasn't good enough, mainly because DHB reverted to the first round bust he had been most of his career. I'd like to avoid a similar scenario this year, in the event one of our best is at less than 100% for any stretch of time.

Whalen doesn't get 15-20 targets a game. And even if he did, you don't double him. You double the fast, deep threat guy who can rip your defense apart in less than five seconds, not the guy who might extend the drive with a first down catch. Welker is the best short/intermediate guy in the league, and he doesn't get double teamed, like, ever. Defenses always doubled Randy Moss, or Demaryius Thomas, or even Gronkowski, before they'd double Welker. TY does disappear when he gets doubled, which is why defenses do it. You erase the biggest threat on the field. Adding another receiver who can make plays would take some attention away from Hilton. Griff Whalen is not that guy. Rogers might be, but I'm not comfortable relying on him at this point.

I see the last part of last season in a completely different light than you do. We changed our play calling a little bit, and got some more production out of the passing game, but it still wasn't good enough. It was sometimes electric -- second half vs the Bengals, second half vs the Chiefs -- but the rest of the team it was barely adequate. And other times, it was downright dreadful. 

do you even know what a straw man argument is? its using irrelevant information to support your argument. im not doing that because my claim is relevant in the way that if we pay for jones it takes away from other positions that really needs to be addressed. thats money we could use on something that makes the team better as a whole. is he better then our 3 4 5? of course, but its not helping the team protect andrew or get to the qb on defense because we're wasting money on something that is more of a luxury then a need

That's not what a straw man is. 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/straw%20man

a weak or imaginary argument or opponent that is set up to be easily defeated

You're claiming that, because I or anyone else sees receiver as a need, and wouldn't be opposed to adding a vet in free agency, that I am in favor of wasting money and/or neglecting other positions of greater need. And that's simply not the case, because we can address WR and every other position of need, if we want to do so. Me: Yeah, James Jones would improve our receiving corps. You: Why do you want to waste money on a #3 receiver instead of focusing on our other, more important needs?

That's the very definition of a straw man.

I honestly dont remember a single time either draw double coverage

I believe that most of the time DaRick was covered doubled over the top by CB and Safety and Griff was with LB and Safety.  I could be wrong on some of their targets.

I don't really think Griff and Da'Rick stepped up. They had some decent performances, but I think our receiving corps really struggled after Reggie got hurt. That's the primary reason I think we need another receiver. I felt like we would get by with what we had, assuming no one got hurt, but the best of them got hurt. Can't predict injuries, but you can plan for them. And our plan wasn't good enough, mainly because DHB reverted to the first round bust he had been most of his career. I'd like to avoid a similar scenario this year, in the event one of our best is at less than 100% for any stretch of time.

Whalen doesn't get 15-20 targets a game. And even if he did, you don't double him. You double the fast, deep threat guy who can rip your defense apart in less than five seconds, not the guy who might extend the drive with a first down catch. Welker is the best short/intermediate guy in the league, and he doesn't get double teamed, like, ever. Defenses always doubled Randy Moss, or Demaryius Thomas, or even Gronkowski, before they'd double Welker. TY does disappear when he gets doubled, which is why defenses do it. You erase the biggest threat on the field. Adding another receiver who can make plays would take some attention away from Hilton. Griff Whalen is not that guy. Rogers might be, but I'm not comfortable relying on him at this point.

I see the last part of last season in a completely different light than you do. We changed our play calling a little bit, and got some more production out of the passing game, but it still wasn't good enough. It was sometimes electric -- second half vs the Bengals, second half vs the Chiefs -- but the rest of the team it was barely adequate. And other times, it was downright dreadful. 

I partly agree with your first paragraph, in that the Coaching staff learnt quite a bit about the Offense after Reggie went down.  I wanted to draft Reggie's replacement last off season.  Would not had to worry about Reggie or any one else going down.  Our young WRs showed, after Coaches got it together,  did well.  I am for giving them another season.  I would not double Moss or Gronk.  Cover them with some one with speed and can jump, they go away.  Thomas is different.  Thomas is fast and explodes out his cuts.  He deserves double coverage and even then still gets open. 

TY does disappear in double coverage,  reason we had problems after Reggie went down.  TY does not explode out of his cuts, he rounds them off.  Easy to double cover (over top).  IMO, that is why TY is not a #1 WR.   Once Coaches realized this, they made adjustments to the Offense to give TY more single coverage (use his speed). 

As far as the Offense having trouble in first half, IMO it was the run first attitude and the lack of an interior line that could block and a TE that could not block.

This is how I see it.  Remember, I was one that wanted to draft Reggie's replacement last year.  I liked what I saw from our WRs and think we can build on that.  That is why I do not what to draft a WR, or get one in FA (besides no #1s in FA, IMO).  If we get one 2nd or 3rd tier WR for depth or an UDFA, I will be happy.

I overstated Griff's targets.  The problem stayed the same, if you don't double Griff and DaRick, you lose the game.  Like Reggie, they were there to move the chains.  As for Welker and those types of players,  you figured out why teams lost to N.E.  If you do not double Welker, you lose (showed many times).

I partly agree with your first paragraph, in that the Coaching staff learnt quite a bit about the Offense after Reggie went down.  I wanted to draft Reggie's replacement last off season.  Would not had to worry about Reggie or any one else going down.  Our young WRs showed, after Coaches got it together,  did well.  I am for giving them another season.  I would not double Moss or Gronk.  Cover them with some one with speed and can jump, they go away.  Thomas is different.  Thomas is fast and explodes out his cuts.  He deserves double coverage and even then still gets open. 

TY does disappear in double coverage,  reason we had problems after Reggie went down.  TY does not explode out of his cuts, he rounds them off.  Easy to double cover (over top).  IMO, that is why TY is not a #1 WR.   Once Coaches realized this, they made adjustments to the Offense to give TY more single coverage (use his speed). 

As far as the Offense having trouble in first half, IMO it was the run first attitude and the lack of an interior line that could block and a TE that could not block.

This is how I see it.  Remember, I was one that wanted to draft Reggie's replacement last year.  I liked what I saw from our WRs and think we can build on that.  That is why I do not what to draft a WR, or get one in FA (besides no #1s in FA, IMO).  If we get one 2nd or 3rd tier WR for depth or an UDFA, I will be happy.

I overstated Griff's targets.  The problem stayed the same, if you don't double Griff and DaRick, you lose the game.  Like Reggie, they were there to move the chains.  As for Welker and those types of players,  you figured out why teams lost to N.E.  If you do not double Welker, you lose (showed many times).

I disagree with the bolded. I don't think they did well; I think they did okay, after being pretty terrible for about a month. Our passing game started improving, but it's mostly because we shortened our routes up to get guys open faster. It went from bad to merely adequate. 

I'm confused why you think it's a better idea to double the underneath guy, rather than one of the guys who can destroy you over the top. Randy Moss has the record for most TDs in season by any receiver; Gronkowski has the record for TDs by a TE. You don't double them? Yeah, okay... (I'm not gonna touch the whole "double Griff and Da'Rick" thing. We disagree, big time.)

Back to the subject, though, I'm really confused about your logic. Before Reggie gets hurt -- and mind you, he hadn't been hurt in many years -- you wanted someone who could improve our receiving corps now, and could potentially take his place in the future. But now, after Reggie has suffered a catastrophic knee injury, and now that he's a year older and trying to come back from said injury (by the way, name a receiver who recovered from a torn knee ligament in his mid-30s), and after seeing just how much our young guys struggled, you're against adding another receiver?

If I were you, I'd be saying "I wanted a new receiver last year, and after Reggie's injury and the way our young guys struggled to pick up the slack, I DEFINITELY want a receiver this year." 

I disagree with the bolded. I don't think they did well; I think they did okay, after being pretty terrible for about a month. Our passing game started improving, but it's mostly because we shortened our routes up to get guys open faster. It went from bad to merely adequate. 

I'm confused why you think it's a better idea to double the underneath guy, rather than one of the guys who can destroy you over the top. Randy Moss has the record for most TDs in season by any receiver; Gronkowski has the record for TDs by a TE. You don't double them? Yeah, okay... (I'm not gonna touch the whole "double Griff and Da'Rick" thing. We disagree, big time.)

Back to the subject, though, I'm really confused about your logic. Before Reggie gets hurt -- and mind you, he hadn't been hurt in many years -- you wanted someone who could improve our receiving corps now, and could potentially take his place in the future. But now, after Reggie has suffered a catastrophic knee injury, and now that he's a year older and trying to come back from said injury (by the way, name a receiver who recovered from a torn knee ligament in his mid-30s), and after seeing just how much our young guys struggled, you're against adding another receiver?

If I were you, I'd be saying "I wanted a new receiver last year, and after Reggie's injury and the way our young guys struggled to pick up the slack, I DEFINITELY want a receiver this year." 

Jerry Rice. What do I win?

The reason I said they did well, was that I figured when Reggie went down, our passing game went with him.  after the Coaches learnt their lessons, our passing started improving.  Yes we went to the short passing game, but that led to TY being able to run deep routes without being doubled (West Coast concept).  As for Griff, he showed he had good hands.  DaRick though did not catch many, was a WR that drew coverage due to height and speed, plus willingness to go over the middle.

To answer why I double the under WR.  Who kills you the most in a game the speed receiver who only runs deep and only get 4-5 targets or the receiver who is not as fast and gets your team a first down 1-2 catches. 

As for giving our WRs another year, the only WR I want us to draft is Watkins and we can't.  Saw a lot of college FB and was not impressed with WRs this year.  I am willing to wait a year.

The reason I said they did well, was that I figured when Reggie went down, our passing game went with him.  after the Coaches learnt their lessons, our passing started improving.  Yes we went to the short passing game, but that led to TY being able to run deep routes without being doubled (West Coast concept).  As for Griff, he showed he had good hands.  DaRick though did not catch many, was a WR that drew coverage due to height and speed, plus willingness to go over the middle.

To answer why I double the under WR.  Who kills you the most in a game the speed receiver who only runs deep and only get 4-5 targets or the receiver who is not as fast and gets your team a first down 1-2 catches. 

As for giving our WRs another year, the only WR I want us to draft is Watkins and we can't.  Saw a lot of college FB and was not impressed with WRs this year.  I am willing to wait a year.

Where are you getting this "4-5 targets" business? 

Never mind, it doesn't really matter. I stated my case, you stated yours. We respectfully disagree. 

I'll just say one more time, I'm not in favor of grabbing a high priced receiver, and I'm not even really advocating signing James Jones. Just saying that I see receiver as a position that needs to be addressed, one way or the other. And I feel that way specifically because of how our passing game came undone without Reggie.

This is honestly the first offseason where I've seen a bunch of big name free agents publicly say that they are interested in the Colts.

Feels good!

I was thinking the same thing today.  

Lee won't be there in the 2nd but Donte Moncrief and Allen Robinson could be, that's if they decide to go WR in the 2nd.

Yeah those are the guys I'd be eyeing for round 2. I think drafting a WR in the 2nd is a better idea than overpaying a free agent. I also think the only offensive free agents we need would be on the offensive line. Of course draft strategy hinges on what gets done in free agency.

Where are you getting this "4-5 targets" business? 

Never mind, it doesn't really matter. I stated my case, you stated yours. We respectfully disagree. 

I'll just say one more time, I'm not in favor of grabbing a high priced receiver, and I'm not even really advocating signing James Jones. Just saying that I see receiver as a position that needs to be addressed, one way or the other. And I feel that way specifically because of how our passing game came undone without Reggie.

I agree to disagree.

I also agree, that we don't need to sign a FA WR.  I still do not agree about drafting a WR.  IMO, most are #2 WRs and not #1 WR.  IMO, basically would be drafting TY again.

I agree to disagree.

I also agree, that we don't need to sign a FA WR.  I still do not agree about drafting a WR.  IMO, most are #2 WRs and not #1 WR.  IMO, basically would be drafting TY again.

I'm gonna respond to this, because I think it's a different topic. Setting aside the merits of adding a receiver to our team, I think TY is a different kind of #2 receiver than most of the guys who will go in the second or third round of the draft this year. I think guys like Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, etc., will be possession receivers who have the potential to be #1s in the future. They have size and technical ability that give them a good foundation to build on.

Hilton is smallish, and he's not a refined route runner. His speed makes him a great weapon, and he's feisty and aggressive, all great traits (and necessary for someone his size). But I don't think he'll ever be a go-to receiver without having really good complements around him. He might put up #1 numbers and get #1 targets, and that's really what matters, but he requires complementary receivers around him to be able to do so. 

I don't think adding someone in the draft would be anything like drafting Hilton again, not unless we draft a receiver that has the same attributes that he has (Bruce Ellington, Paul Richardson, Robert Herron). 

I'm gonna respond to this, because I think it's a different topic. Setting aside the merits of adding a receiver to our team, I think TY is a different kind of #2 receiver than most of the guys who will go in the second or third round of the draft this year. I think guys like Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, etc., will be possession receivers who have the potential to be #1s in the future. They have size and technical ability that give them a good foundation to build on.

Hilton is smallish, and he's not a refined route runner. His speed makes him a great weapon, and he's feisty and aggressive, all great traits (and necessary for someone his size). But I don't think he'll ever be a go-to receiver without having really good complements around him. He might put up #1 numbers and get #1 targets, and that's really what matters, but he requires complementary receivers around him to be able to do so. 

I don't think adding someone in the draft would be anything like drafting Hilton again, not unless we draft a receiver that has the same attributes that he has (Bruce Ellington, Paul Richardson, Robert Herron). 

I'm not basing what I said on size. I understand that most of them are taller than TY.  I was basing it on their play (example:  Matthews gets alligator arms going over the middle).  Most, do not explode out of cuts or they play small.

IMO, most will disappear in the NFL.  I hope they all have good careers, I just don't want them on the Colts.  If we need depth, why not bring in an UDFA and give them a chance.

There's been a couple of posts regarding TY and his ability to be a #1 receiver. It's true that TY did struggle initially when asked to step into the #1 role. He admitted that he struggled to get open, and struggled against the defenses' #1 corners. However, he did state that he was working with to improve on this.

After this statement, (can't remember which article it was) he broke out and showed that he was more than capable of being a #1 receiver. He finished the regular season very strong, as the #1 receiver. He was able to get open even when being double teamed. In the playoffs, he was our main receiving threat, recording 100+ yard receiving  yards in both the Chiefs game and against the Patriots with Talib covering him.

A note on Griff Whalen: he only played in 7 games this year. I think he should've played more but the coaches felt otherwise (DHB!!). When he did play, his production was on par with Austin Collie's 2010 season. (If you project Whalen's numbers for the entire year, it would be just slightly less than Collie's). We can't argue that Collie wasn't productive. But I hear arguments against Whalen.

I'm not basing what I said on size. I understand that most of them are taller than TY.  I was basing it on their play (example:  Matthews gets alligator arms going over the middle).  Most, do not explode out of cuts or they play small.

IMO, most will disappear in the NFL.  I hope they all have good careers, I just don't want them on the Colts.  If we need depth, why not bring in an UDFA and give them a chance.

Yeah, again, I disagree. I think there are several mid round receivers who can develop into really good possession receivers, and who will be contributors for their teams right away.

There's been a couple of posts regarding TY and his ability to be a #1 receiver. It's true that TY did struggle initially when asked to step into the #1 role. He admitted that he struggled to get open, and struggled against the defenses' #1 corners. However, he did state that he was working with to improve on this.

After this statement, (can't remember which article it was) he broke out and showed that he was more than capable of being a #1 receiver. He finished the regular season very strong, as the #1 receiver. He was able to get open even when being double teamed. In the playoffs, he was our main receiving threat, recording 100+ yard receiving  yards in both the Chiefs game and against the Patriots with Talib covering him.

A note on Griff Whalen: he only played in 7 games this year. I think he should've played more but the coaches felt otherwise (DHB!!). When he did play, his production was on par with Austin Collie's 2010 season. (If you project Whalen's numbers for the entire year, it would be just slightly less than Collie's). We can't argue that Collie wasn't productive. But I hear arguments against Whalen.

You should go do that math again. In 2010, Austin Collie averaged 6.5 catches and 72 yards per game (including the games he got knocked out of early). He was on pace for 100 catches, 1200 yards, 14 TDs. And again, those numbers are a little low, because only played in parts of three games. Griff Whalen's 2013 stats, extrapolated over a 16 game season, are still well below Collie's half season in 2010.

As for Hilton, the #1 production is there at times, but he doesn't have the attributes as a complete receiver to be a true #1. 

You should go do that math again. In 2010, Austin Collie averaged 6.5 catches and 72 yards per game (including the games he got knocked out of early). He was on pace for 100 catches, 1200 yards, 14 TDs. And again, those numbers are a little low, because only played in parts of three games. Griff Whalen's 2013 stats, extrapolated over a 16 game season, are still well below Collie's half season in 2010.

As for Hilton, the #1 production is there at times, but he doesn't have the attributes as a complete receiver to be a true #1. 

I couldn't recall which games Collie missed. (thanks for that info). I do think that Collie was more productive, however, he did have the advantage of playing and starting. I can only argue that with a starting role and more playing time, Whalen could reach similar production. But then again, it's an argument that cannot be proven, unless he's given the opportunity. Of course, I could be wrong.

As for Hilton, the point I was making was that after he addressed his 'disappearance" in certain games, he was not up and down. He later stated that he knew what it took. He understood how to get open and better read defenses, and that he could get open even against the double team, which was a problem for him. I think we can't deny that for us, he was our #1 receiver after Wayne went down. He did well in that role as the season wore on (not initially), which could be a good indicator for what may come. His actions and his words correspond to one other.

For what it's worth, from everything I have read about this years WR draft class. It seems to be regarded as one of the deepest in recent memory. I like Moncrief in the second round, or Martavis Bryant in the third.

Yeah, again, I disagree. I think there are several mid round receivers who can develop into really good possession receivers, and who will be contributors for their teams right away.

I agree that the Mid rounds have WRs that could become possession receivers and contribute later to their teams.  IMO, we have one in Griff, who will not need to learn our system.   So why spend the pick on WR when we could draft a need? 

As I have said, pick up one in UDFA for depth and let our Receivers have another year.  Get a WR next year when we have a 1st round pick.

For what it's worth, from everything I have read about this years WR draft class. It seems to be regarded as one of the deepest in recent memory. I like Moncrief in the second round, or Martavis Bryant in the third.

I have read and heard the same thing.  The problem is that we need some one to replace Reggie.  IMO, most of the receivers after Watkins are #2 WR and not #1s.  We need a #1 WR not another #2.

Just my opinion, but we have talented wide receivers that need time to develop.  I do think we need another WR, however, during the later part of the season, our receivers really started to find chemistry with luck.  Whalen has soft hands and catches almost everything, and would be perfect for the slot.  Rogers is fast and needs to develop.  He showed glimpses of great potential.  Obviously we know what talent we have with TY as long as there is a quality receiver on the other side from him.  Before we address WR I would really like to see them address the OL to give Luck some time to throw to our receivers with some time for them to run their routes and get open.  It doesn't matter who we are throwing to if our QB is running for his life every time he drops back.