Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Need to Make the Next Three Years Count

Beauregarde

The Colts need to try and win a championship while Luck is on his rookie contract. It will be very difficult to build a Super Bowl team around him when he cashes in for $20 million per season. Seattle did this with Wilson and San Francisco got to the Super Bowl with Kapernick last year and the Ravens did the same with Flacco. This is going to be the new NFL trend in my opinion as a result of the last Collective Bargaining Agreement. When you start paying the franchise QB the big money, you will probably be in the playoffs most years but will only make a Super Bowl run every five years or so. I also believe we will see some franchise QBs traded or cut so that teams can rebuild with a QB on his rookie contract. What do you all think about this?

I don't see Luck demanding that type of money, especially if the colts don't win a SB. I see 10-14 mill being a demand. He has this team first personality that seems really genuine, but I've been wrong about that assumption before.

You guys are ... Way off. The union won't let him take a deal like that. He may not be the highest paid player, but he'll be top 5.

Then they'll rework his contract like they do for every other high paid player, and treat him like a bank.

The NFL is a business. Every employee wants their salary to go up.

Next year we are going to the super bowl. Can someone say dynasty for the next 3 years????

I do not think their will ever be another NFL dynasty under the current conditions. Why wouldn't Seattle be a dynasty? They are one of the youngest teams in the NFL but they won't be able to sign all of their players and they will move on. I am not sure that Seattle will even make the playoffs next year and they were by far the best team in the NFL this year.

I think Luck is more of a player to sacrifice the extra 4/5 mil on his contract for a better team surrounding him.

Luck doesn't seem like the type of player to ask for 20 million.  He'll get like 8-12 million per year after rookie deal, hopefully.

I don't see Luck demanding that type of money, especially if the colts don't win a SB. I see 10-14 mill being a demand. He has this team first personality that seems really genuine, but I've been wrong about that assumption before.

You all are going to be very disappointed. 

I cannot surmise what Andrew Luck will ask for in his next contract negotiations, but he does not seem the type to be all about the money. Kaepernick and Griffin III have jumped on the endorsement bandwagon but Luck has commented it isn't time for that now...its time to concentrate on football. I do believe that The Colts will make a superbowl appearance in the next three years and have a good chance of winning it as well.

Luck doesn't seem like the type of player to ask for 20 million.  He'll get like 8-12 million per year after rookie deal, hopefully.

If we signed him long term for 8-12, it would be one of the greatest things that has ever happened. I don't think this will happen though.

Yes. 

Care to explain? I Like Luck, and see the potential, but I haven't seen a 20 mill demand YET. Peyton's 1st contract (re-signing) with colts was between around 14 mill a year, right? Again, I said I've been wrong about making that assumption about a player before.

This is spot on.  Luck, whether he demands it or not, is going to make $19+ a year after  his rookie contract.  That's how the business works.  We have a fairly short window of opportunity to field a great team along side what seems to be a franchise QB.  After these next few years, we're gonna be right back where we were with Peyton. (Not to make that seem like a bad thing...we had a lot of great years.)  I'd just like to see us win as a  team before we're forced to put it all on our QB because we can't afford a defense again.

Also, for those who think he wont be WORTH the huge contract, it doesn't matter really.  He's at the very least a good QB, so he will get Elite QB money.  See Joe Flacco.

You all are going to be very disappointed. 

Yes, they are. What Luck takes will set the price for other QBs and for all other players. Can you imagine what opposing defenses would do to Luck if he took less money and it cost them all money? I do not think he would survive the season.

He will get paid...paid very well and deserving every penny...but not a ridiculous amount. I have a lot of faith in him but he is only going into his third year.

Not to be overbearing on this point, but to most of us a couple million dollars is a ridiculous amount. He's a QB. They get paid ridiculous amounts of money by default, if for no other reason than someone (G.M/Franchise) will be willing to pay up. He's getting 15 mill or more a year, and that's okay with me. Better him than someone like Mario Williams who doesn't pass or catch the ball, right?

He will get paid...paid very well and deserving every penny...but not a ridiculous amount. I have a lot of faith in him but he is only going into his third year.

He will be paid and he will be paid a lot and, yes, some will consider it a ridiculous amount. I think he will sign and be the highest paid player in the game when he does.

He will be paid and he will be paid a lot and, yes, some will consider it a ridiculous amount. I think he will sign and be the highest paid player in the game when he does.

He'll be top 5, that's for sure.

Getting back to point, that doesn't mean they won't structure the contract to make it more cap friendly.

Those that think he's going to take less money than a DE or a WR are dreaming.

Care to explain? I Like Luck, and see the potential, but I haven't seen a 20 mill demand YET. Peyton's 1st contract (re-signing) with colts was between around 14 mill a year, right? Again, I said I've been wrong about making that assumption about a player before.

Simple terms... Players are bracketed by their performance and top players, regardless if they want that kind of money, are paid the highest money. The rules are set this way so top tier players can't accept low ball offers to play with certain teams. This keeps the teams balanced.

Not to be overbearing on this point, but to most of us a couple million dollars is a ridiculous amount. He's a QB. They get paid ridiculous amounts of money by default, if for no other reason than someone (G.M/Franchise) will be willing to pay up. He's getting 15 mill or more a year, and that's okay with me. Better him than someone like Mario Williams who doesn't pass or catch the ball, right?

Yes, they all get paid ridiculous amounts of money...it is the nature of the business. We will all have to wait and see how this pans out. The question is making the next three years count...and I believe that they will make a superbowl run within the three years. What I want to happen and what will happen remains to be seen.

This is my last post untill I am able to post again tomorrow...Everyone have a great sunday!

His agent is going to ask for the maximum that the market will allow. He's not going to allow himself to be undersold. He's not hoping to be secured for a bargain basement salary. He's going to only accept top shelf starting QB money.

Sure.

Peyton's re-signing made him one of, if not the, highest paid QB in the NFL and the salary cap has gone up a bunch since then.

Luck isn't going to play for only 75% of what he's worth. Especially considering he was a #1 pick under the new CBA which means this is his first "big" contract.

Plus you have the NFLPA and all of that.

Sure.

Peyton's re-signing made him one of, if not the, highest paid QB in the NFL and the salary cap has gone up a bunch since then. Especially considering he was a #1 pick under the new CBA which means this is his first "big" contract.

Plus you have the NFLPA and all of that.

I like that you actually noticed I was seriously asking a question about something I wasn't aware of instead of giving a giving useless response lol.

You guys are ... Way off. The union won't let him take a deal like that. He may not be the highest paid player, but he'll be top 5.

Then they'll rework his contract like they do for every other high paid player, and treat him like a bank.

The NFL is a business. Every employee wants their salary to go up.

Not saying he will take less, but the union can't stop him from doing so. I wouldn't be taking advise from the worst union in pro sports anyway. Michael Jordan took less for years.....players union couldn't do anything about it.

Not saying he will take less, but the union can't stop him from doing so. I wouldn't be taking advise from the worst union in pro sports anyway. Michael Jordan took less for years.....players union couldn't do anything about it.

It's not in the best interest of the players for him to take markedly less than he's worth. Not on his second contract. The players all want the ceiling raised.

Maybe when he's on his third he will, like Brady did.

It's not in the best interest of the players for him to take markedly less than he's worth. Not on his second contract. The players all want the ceiling raised.

Maybe when he's on his third he will, like Brady did.

Agreed, I'm just saying the union can't stop him from doing so. But even if he did, I doubt it would change the marketplace much.

I do not think their will ever be another NFL dynasty under the current conditions. Why wouldn't Seattle be a dynasty? They are one of the youngest teams in the NFL but they won't be able to sign all of their players and they will move on. I am not sure that Seattle will even make the playoffs next year and they were by far the best team in the NFL this year.

That may be the case for Seattle but I don't think that will happen for atleast a couple years. They are that young that they can stay together for atleast a couple more years

I call dumping cash on a franchise QB the Polian Effect.  Irsay opened his mouth about spending 70% of your cap on offense, and Polain fired back saying in a few years, Grigson will be in the same boat.  I don't like one player making all the money, but in this case I say Luck is worth every penny.  I think a team with that much money in a QB can still win the Superbowl.  Grigson has some options to do things differently than Polian.  Polian dropped a lot of money on skill positions.  I say surround Luck with defense.  Instead of WR and RB,  Grigson can invest in the defensive front7.

Caldwell has a huge challnge in Detroit.  All that money on Megatron will be extremely hard to work around.

He may not seem like it.  But after 4 years of being on the team making (comparitively) chump change, hes going to cash in for at minimum 15 a year.  Especially having lead his team to the playoffs in his first 2 years so far.