Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

it is better to have a great D than a great O

chad72

If we invest in our D more than our O, we can be a middle of the road offense and a top notch defense and bring home the Lombardi.

The current SB is showing that. Time and time again, the best offense in passing yards does not win the SB. When I am writing this, Broncos are down 0-22 at the half. No way they are coming back.

Irsay was right in changing the model. Polian and his Bills rode Jim Kelly and that offense to fall short vs better Ds and physical opponents consistently. We got through once for our sole SB ring but the model has to be different now. You still need a QB to make plays but do not need a Top 10 offense to win the SB.

There's still one half to play, and Seattle's offense is not much better than Denver's thus far, so there's still a chance.

Seattle's defensive line is making the difference thus far with the containment and pressure. We have our nose tackle in Chap,but still require better penetration from our tackles. Year 3 of build the monster should be much better ( I hope).

Yep. That's what I was just saying to a friend. Niners win the SB last year and probably this year is not far fetched. He's got at least one ring. Why did He have to join forces with Elways team?

Though I'm a Manning fan, I'm not a big fan of Elway (prima donna).  I laughed when the announcer had to request the AFC trophy from Elway to John Fox to let him hold it a little while. 

When asked about how an SB win would be, he called it a feather in his cap (as if he were the QB on the field).  I think Peyton looked at Denver and thought it was the team that had the most around him at the time he was looking for a team.  Tennessee was a joke.  I wonder if Peyton's reluctance to go to SF had to do with Harbaugh being there.  Not the he dislikes Harbaugh but there may tension between the two since Peyton cost Harbaugh his job in Indy.  Not sure.

Unfortunately, the Colts are no where near having a defense that is comparable to a top notch defense such as Seattle's.  

Is it really a stretch to say our defense needs to be re-built from scratch?

Seattle looks like a team that will have to be reckoned with for the foreseeable future.  They have the look of being a juggernaught.

Unfortunately, the Colts are no where near having a defense that is comparable to a top notch defense such as Seattle's.

Seattle looks like a team that will have to be reckoned with for the foreseeable future. They have the look of being a juggernaught.

Yeah, but it seems you can say that about every SB winner, every year is different. Colts need to upgrade a few positions on the line and with the players coming back healthy they have as good a chance as any next year.

Honestly, anybody that didn't already know that superior defenses are better to have than superior offenses, must have Polianitus. It's a known and proven fact that has been known by smart football people forever.

Go back and check the predictions on this forum .

Though I'm a Manning fan, I'm not a big fan of Elway (prima donna). I laughed when the announcer had to request the AFC trophy from Elway to John Fox to let him hold it a little while.

When asked about how an SB win would be, he called it a feather in his cap (as if he were the QB on the field). I think Peyton looked at Denver and thought it was the team that had the most around him at the time he was looking for a team. Tennessee was a joke. I wonder if Peyton's reluctance to go to SF had to do with Harbaugh being there. Not the he dislikes Harbaugh but there may tension between the two since Peyton cost Harbaugh his job in Indy. Not sure.

It seems like to me SF clearly was more talented than Denver defensively. Denver had Thomas , who was good. Didnt have Welker yet . Decker is a product of 18 in my opinion. Niners had Gore , Crabtree, great line. Seems to me SF is a more talented team and he made the wrong choice. SF would have beat Denver as bad as Seattle is doing now.

If we invest in our D more than our O, we can be a middle of the road offense and a top notch defense and bring home the Lombardi.

The current SB is showing that. Time and time again, the best offense in passing yards does not win the SB. When I am writing this, Broncos are down 0-22 at the half. No way they are coming back.

Irsay was right in changing the model. Polian and his Bills rode Jim Kelly and that offense to fall short vs better Ds and physical opponents consistently. We got through once for our sole SB ring but the model has to be different now. You still need a QB to make plays but do not need a Top 10 offense to win the SB.

Might as well just waste all of our draft picks in 2014 to move up to top 5 and draft Jadeveon Clowney.  Just picking this guy would boost our Defense tremendously. 

Go back and check the predictions on this forum .

Predictions from this forum mean absolutely nothing to me. Not trying to be mean or rude about it, but I wonder many times how long many here have even watched football because a lot seem to be very very new to football and haven't really learned much yet.

And we are so far away from having a dominant defense. If the Colts win the Superbowl again in my lifetime I will run around monument circle naked.

Seattle built their D in less than 3 years. Indy scored big in last year's draft and needs another good draft to get there.

And we are so far away from having a dominant defense. If the Colts win the Superbowl again in my lifetime I will run around monument circle naked.

Are you in you 90's or something? You do realize it was just a few years ago that Seattle was terrible. We could have a dominant defense next season if they make the right moves.

Seattle looks like a team that will have to be reckoned with for the foreseeable future.  They have the look of being a juggernaught.

With Seattle being a young team I think its possible they might dominate the Super Bowl for years to come.

One game doesn't "prove" anything. You win Super Bowls with good teams. If you want to say it proves you CAN win a Super Bowl with a dominant defense, that's fine. One game, however, does not dictate what is 'better'.

You'd prefer to have a fair enough balance, but matching up well against your opponent is a great advantage too.

but you are talking about a really impressive Defense...thats hard to get. Seahawks are also lucky cause they dont really have players getting much of their cap so they could get those 1 year deals fro bennet and avril....it will be interesting in 2 years.

Might as well just waste all of our draft picks in 2014 to move up to top 5 and draft Jadeveon Clowney.  Just picking this guy would boost our Defense tremendously. 

No, that is not what this thread meant. The Seahawks found Sherman and so many other players in later rounds. We just need to hit well on our defensive draft picks.

but you are talking about a really impressive Defense...thats hard to get. Seahawks are also lucky cause they dont really have players getting much of their cap so they could get those 1 year deals fro bennet and avril....it will be interesting in 2 years.

One is players. Two is coaching.

I do believe we are capable of good secondary coaching. When our secondary was healthy, we gave Peyton fits and beat the Seahawks too. The key is having quality depth. We can hit on our defensive draft picks for depth and we will be right back in the race knocking on the SB door.

The Seahawks' GM needs to get credit for getting difference makers like Percy Harvin and Cliff Avril to go along with that stellar secondary. But those guys are prime for a repeat next year at least. It won't be till 2015 that they will have cap issues surface more. They can afford to let go of a few guys and still maintain a high level, IMO.

Denver made so many stupid and bone head plays in that game. Hell the Jaguars could have beat them with that performance.

A good defense is a great thing to have, but if you don't make some of the bone headed plays Denver did in this game the result

would have been a bit different I think.  I mean two Int, Kick return, A fumble, turning the ball over on downs twice.

Even if Denver wasn't so one dimensional on offense they could have made Seattle play a bit of a different game.  

One is players. Two is coaching.

I do believe we are capable of good secondary coaching. When our secondary was healthy, we gave Peyton fits and beat the Seahawks too. The key is having quality depth. We can hit on our defensive draft picks for depth and we will be right back in the race knocking on the SB door.

The Seahawks' GM needs to get credit for getting difference makers like Percy Harvin and Cliff Avril to go along with that stellar secondary. But those guys are prime for a repeat next year at least. It won't be till 2015 that they will have cap issues surface more. They can afford to let go of a few guys and still maintain a high level, IMO.

sure, my point is that they got hot at the right time with the right playres with the right cash space. i dont think they will be able to sustain 2 years from that dominant defense now because a) wilson will demand money, so will sherman, earl thomas b) you cant realistically expect to nail all your drafts the way they have been c) they were like in the perfect storm: everyone expected cliff avril to ge tthe big money, nobody offered it. they had cash because of the rookie contracts for their big guys so they not only got avril, they got also bennet 

Seattle built their D in less than 3 years. Indy scored big in last year's draft and needs another good draft to get there.

They got a lot of cap space for free agents too, it's probably a year or two early to be saving for Lucks big payday so I expect they will be active .

Peyton never talked to SF

Source. That's not what I've heard. Just looked at an article today in an SF paper saying they went hard after him. San Jose Mercury News , 5 days ago. They were desperate to upgrade from Alex Smith. He had to have discussions on some level.

Would the Niners have the defense they have now with Manning's salary eating up the cap space?

Same thing happened in Indy, one player taking up too much cap for enough quality players on

both sides of the ball.

Thats a good question, but the Niners would still have a better supporting cast than Denver , I mean the Niners wanted him . Maybe it was a money deal.

I saw another game won by the big uglies on the line of scrimmage. Nothing more, nothing less. X's an O's. A D-line that can fold a pocket makes the game look easy for a secondary. An O-line that can sustain a pocket makes a QB look brilliant. I just saw both... on the same team. The game has, and will always be, won by the unheralded big men inside.

Would the Niners have the defense they have now with Manning's salary eating up the cap space?

Same thing happened in Indy, one player taking up too much cap for enough quality players on

both sides of the ball.

This is where the draft comes in. You have to be able to draft consistently well enough to have quality depth behind quality starters and if the quality starters leave in free agency, you have the appropriate replacement already in place. That is one reason I am hoping Grigson stops giving up high draft picks and gets quality talent in the draft because free agency is a part of football life the Colts will have to deal with.

At some point, Luck will get paid too and we will cross the same bridge. Don't expect Luck to take $15 mil. a year just to help us out, it will be more like $20 mil. a year in 2015 when he gets paid, count on it. Besides, we can back load it and continue to re-structure but that is where the GM's cap management comes in. Polian's issue was he left us in cap hell in addition to missing out the last few years a great deal on draft picks.

This is what i've been saying we should draft defense with all of our picks instead of a WR. Luck is good enough to score points with the WR's and TE's we have but in order for us to win the superbowl, we need play makers on defense.

Mathis and Freeman are the only guys on the defense that are play makers. Davis is a great CB but he doesn't get a lot of INT's, some of it is because QB's don't throw at him much and some because he doesn't take a lot of chances. We only have 3 great players on defense while the Seahawks have 10+, that's the difference between them and us. Grigson needs to strike gold in this draft and FA because were gonna need it to get pass the Pats and Broncos, and eventually the Seahawks.

Honestly, anybody that didn't already know that superior defenses are better to have than superior offenses, must have Polianitus. It's a known and proven fact that has been known by smart football people forever.

I believe you need to gave both a good D and Good Offense and the stats show it..

http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/20/does-defense-really-win-championships/