Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF's Costliest Injuries of 2013 (3 Colts listed)

Dustin

I expect Thornton to be a starter next year so

Castonzo

Thornton

FA/Satele

Thomas

Cherilus

Offensive line (Barring injury) should be pretty good next season

Dwayne Allen forming the 2 headed monster with Fleener. Man I can't wait for next season

Reggie Wayne coming back. Young WR's got time with Andrew Luck

Trent Richardson with a FULL off-season in Indianapolis 

Offense might be the best in the AFC South 

:colts:

Yeah losing Allen helped Fleener get more reps.

Reggie's injury opened the door for our younger guys.

Thomas gave Hugh Thornton basically a full season worth of experience.

Next year will show us how Fleener, Thornton and the younger guys use that experience to take that next step.

Castonzo

Thornton

FA/Satele

Thomas

Cherilus

Dwayne Allen forming the 2 headed monster with Fleener. Man I can't wait for next season

Even though he seemed to improve slightly at the end of the year, i don't know that I am comfortable penciling Thornton in as a starter ... at the very least I want a good FA guard to make him prove he is ready.

Even though he seemed to improve slightly at the end of the year, i don't know that I am comfortable penciling Thornton in as a starter ... at the very least I want a good FA guard to make him prove he is ready.

Too many other needs to throw all our money at offensive linemen

Drafted multiple linemen last year, someone needs to step up. FA should be used for our defensive needs imo

Drafted multiple linemen last year, someone needs to step up. FA should be used for our defensive needs imo

I agree we have many needs, but I believe Oline is out biggest need.  I would rather overspend a little in that area and know we have what we need and are set, than "wishfully hoping" everything works out and our Oline ending up like this season. $2-3 million to insure our OL is money well spent in my IMO.

Castonzo

Thornton

FA/Satele

Thomas

Cherilus

Colts offense may be the best in the AFC South next year? Dang, you're really shooting for the stars there.

Castonzo

Thornton

FA/Satele

Thomas

Cherilus

Well That's setting the bar high isn't it?

Allen & Fleener will be the BEST TE duo next year & I dare any team to say otherwise

I agree !! and think of this...from using the draft simulator here in the draft forum, several times Troy Niklas fell to me with our first pick (2nd rd). I know we have other needs but what would you think of a Fleener, Allen and Niklas 3 TE set ??? I think defenses would be soiling themselves !!

Castonzo

Thomas

FA/ - anyone but Satele

Thornton

Cherilus

I agree with this, except for Thomas being LG and putting Thornton in at RG.

Also, if Satele is on the Colts roster next year I will vomit profusely. 

I think Allen being out this year really helped Fleener make the next step up since he was targeted a lot more. I can't wait til those two are on the field next year. LB's will have nightmares!! 

I disagree -- Luck is our new franchise QB -- I think he got hit more than any other QB in the league this year (or was at least close to that) and if we want our team to have sustained success for the next decade or more, we need to do a MUCH better job keeping Luck upright.

Luck must be kept upright. Our Tackles are very solid. Thomas hurt us pretty bad. I think we must get a high quality center. Opens up running room for Trent, who I think will succeed next year, because I cannot stand people who call for his head when he was thrown into a different environment, different coach, different team, different playbook, and a different interior offensive line( not a very good one at that) and people expected 5000000 yards and 100 TD's out of him. Give him an off-season the colts, and get him and Luck an interior O-line and things will fall into lace, better results throughout the entire offense, WR's more time to get open. Speaking of WR's, I think we need to either draft one early or get a decent one through FA. Our offense next year, through an off-season with upgrades, injured players coming back, etc, could be a top one in the NFL. As for Defense, We MUST resign Vontae Davis. If bethea is not resigned, I think we should go after a top safety. meaning pay good money for a good safety. Our D-Line needs pass rush. Really our off-season begins in the trenches on both sides of the ball. This team is young, good, and has such a bright future, I am so blessed and proud to call my self a Colts fan. GO COLTS

I agree we have many needs, but I believe Oline is out biggest need.  I would rather overspend a little in that area and know we have what we need and are set, than "wishfully hoping" everything works out and our Oline ending up like this season. $2-3 million to insure our OL is money well spent in my IMO.

Even if they over spend on FA are they still just "wishfully hoping" that they player pans out and remains healthy.  I think the Colts overspent a little for Thomas (4 year $14 mil for a guy who never started for a full season) and that didn't work out too well in 2013.

This is probably the biggest issue I see with fansand their wants and needs.  Fans look at what is needed for 2014.  GMs have to look at what is needed through 2016 and have a roadmap for things through 2018.  Then based on that roadmap it may not make sense to overspend for a FA guard or center, on the flip side it may make sense to overspend for a guard and keep Satele for another year we don't know the long term plan so we can't really say what makes sense with any certainty.  We also do not have access to pracitce film, coaches notes, game plan test scores, etc. to see the level of player improvement.  Nor do we have the milestone or progress charts to see how quickly or slowly they have reached the goals set by the team.  For example, does anyone know what the team wants for Thornton's max bench press?  Did he achieve it?  If so, when?

I'm not saying that the team/GMs are infallible because they are not and I do my share of critiquing decisions and moves but when a fan says something like (and I'm going to quote you esmort only because it is the latest one I have seen), "I'm not comfortable with," so and so starting, it makes me chuckle because we, as fans, only have less than 10% of the information used to make decisions.

Even if they over spend on FA are they still just "wishfully hoping" that they player pans out and remains healthy.  I think the Colts overspent a little for Thomas (4 year $14 mil for a guy who never started for a full season) and that didn't work out too well in 2013.

They didn't overspend on Thomas.  First of all the contract is not that big ... we were paying McGlynn nearly $2 million for his poor play, so $3.75 million for a good guard is not unreasonable.  On top of that the contract was structured so that if he was a bust we could dump him after the season cheaply (and still can).  It looks to me like Grigson was trying to lock in a "top tier" guard for a bargain price right before he had a break out year.  I am critical of some of Grigson's moves, but he played that signing perfectly ... you can't blame him for the injury.

This is probably the biggest issue I see with fansand their wants and needs.  Fans look at what is needed for 2014.  GMs have to look at what is needed through 2016 and have a roadmap for things through 2018.  Then based on that roadmap it may not make sense to overspend for a FA guard or center, on the flip side it may make sense to overspend for a guard and keep Satele for another year we don't know the long term plan so we can't really say what makes sense with any certainty.  We also do not have access to pracitce film, coaches notes, game plan test scores, etc. to see the level of player improvement.  Nor do we have the milestone or progress charts to see how quickly or slowly they have reached the goals set by the team.  For example, does anyone know what the team wants for Thornton's max bench press?  Did he achieve it?  If so, when?

It's not just the fans, its everyone involved that expects results in pretty short order.  They may have some "roadmap" of where they want to be in 2018, but if they aren't putting a winning product on the field before then there's a good chance they never see 2018.

No reasonable scenario puts Satele at Center in 2014 ... I don't care what the "roadmap" says.

You are right we don't know all of that stuff, but some things can be reasonably assumed and educated guesses can be made based on what we do know and what we have witnessed on the field.  Also I think many fans have the ability and frequently do look beyond 2014.

I'm not saying that the team/GMs are infallible because they are not and I do my share of critiquing decisions and moves but when a fan says something like (and I'm going to quote you esmort only because it is the latest one I have seen), "I'm not comfortable with," so and so starting, it makes me chuckle because we, as fans, only have less than 10% of the information used to make decisions.

The amount of information we have access to applies to most things, there would be no discussions on this forum if we only discussed things that we had access to most of the information about.

I can confidently say "I am not comfortable with McGlynn or Satele being starters next season".  I don't care what the coaches have seen in practice or any other information they have access to; if either of those 2 scrubs are are starting next year Grigson needs a new mapmaker, because his roadmap is giving him the wrong directions..

They didn't overspend on Thomas.  First of all the contract is not that big ... we were paying McGlynn nearly $2 million for his poor play, so $3.75 million for a good guard is not unreasonable.  On top of that the contract was structured so that if he was a bust we could dump him after the season cheaply (and still can).  It looks to me like Grigson was trying to lock in a "top tier" guard for a bargain price right before he had a break out year.  I am critical of some of Grigson's moves, but he played that signing perfectly ... you can't blame him for the injury.

It's not just the fans, its everyone involved that expects results in pretty short order.  They may have some "roadmap" of where they want to be in 2018, but if they aren't putting a winning product on the field before then there's a good chance they never see 2018.

No reasonable scenario puts Satele at Center in 2014 ... I don't care what the "roadmap" says.

You are right we don't know all of that stuff, but some things can be reasonably assumed and educated guesses can be made based on what we do know and what we have witnessed on the field.  Also I think many fans have the ability and frequently do look beyond 2014.

The amount of information we have access to applies to most things, there would be no discussions on this forum if we only discussed things that we had access to most of the information about.

I can confidently say "I am not comfortable with McGlynn or Satele being starters next season".  I don't care what the coaches have seen in practice or any other information they have access to; if either of those 2 scrubs are are starting next year Grigson needs a new mapmaker, because his roadmap is giving him the wrong directions..

As I've stated before, as fans we have no idea what is paying too much but $14 million for a guy who has never played a full season is overspending.

As far as results, good owners know that it takes time and let's a team get built because they know it cannot be done in one or even two seasons.

I don't want Sateleor McGlynn or Linkenbach back in 2014 but your comment about you don't care what the " ' roadmap says' " is pretty lame.  That is the difference, in any orgnaization, between upper management and the worker bees.  Upper manangement have to look more long range, worker bees look at what is produced at the end of the day.  One could argue that Grigson needs a new roadmap as you put it and that I would agree.  Grigson, to me, seems more reactive than proactive in his planning.  Because fans look at things on a game by game basis (and not long term strategy) fans like that reactive action but it has proven to not be the way to build long term success in the NFL.

Show me where I stated that fans cannot discuss things because we don't have all the information?  I just think it funny and a bit ignorant to claim to know what is best for the team while admitting you don't have all the information.

Lastly, nice play on the roadmap analogy.

Outstanding thoughts, in every point.