Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning's legacy now and if he wins the Super Bowl [Merge]

coltsfanmilyman

Here's a good read on Peyton's legacy

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10322500/2013-nfl-playoffs-peyton-manning-stands-alone

Watching sports is supposed to be fun, and the greatest fun of it is watching tremendous athletes stretch our definition of what's possible. Manning delivers that for us -- all of the time and on myriad levels. He's the third quarterback to go to the Super Bowl with two different teams, and if he wins, he'll be the first to win it with two different teams. If that's not a Super Bowl-specific example of individual greatness in a team sport, it's hard to imagine what is.

But the point is that the Super Bowl isn't the be-all, end-all of legacy definition. If he loses this game, that won't lessen anything about Manning. It won't change the fact he elevated the Indianapolis Colts into one of the league's elite franchises, set countless records, came back from four neck surgeries to break a lot of those same records, is in the playoffs every season and gives whatever team he's on the chance to call itself the best in the league, every week and every season.

Mods: if this is a thread already my mistake and please delete.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no one has any legacy until his career ends..

John Elway's legacy was made in his final 2 seasons in the NFL..

Many on TV said that Peyton had lost too many playoff games to be truly great.

Then this season happened...

If Ryan Clady returns next season.....and Peyton's arm continues to regain strength  ,,,,,even this year's offensive records may fall

The guy's going to be the winner of 5 NFL MVPs.  As an individual player, he's likely going to hold every major Passing record in history.  He will have done nearly everything that is possible for a QB. And as a QB. he's been ridiculously good for a ridiculously long time.

He's been on teams that have had some major weaknesses. If you put Manning on those Steelers teams of the 70's, or 49ers teams of the 80's, or Cowboys teams of the 90's, and/or Patriots teams of the early 2000's, he wins wayyyy more than one Superbowl 15 years into his career.  

IF he wins another Superbowl, he has surpassed Brady, IMO and is in the company of Montana for GOAT.

no one has any legacy until his career ends..

John Elway's legacy was made in his final 2 seasons in the NFL..

Many on TV said that Peyton had lost too many playoff games to be truly great.

Then this season happened...

If Ryan Clady returns next season.....and Peyton's arm continues to regain strength  ,,,,,even this year's offensive records may fall

Had Ryan Clady been there the 7-TD game in week 1 could repeat at least several times. Manning could have 80 TDs.

The problem is people want to point to his Super Bowl or playoff record.  That's not his fault.  If you actually look at the stats, his play wasn't all that bad in many of those playoff games.  I think it falls more on Caldwell/Dungy and Polian for not building a good team.  But you know how it goes with QBs.  People look at them like it's a one-man show.  If a playoff loss is Peyton's fault, then all those division titles and 12+ win seasons are also Peyton's fault.  It's a team game

The problem is people want to point to his Super Bowl or playoff record.  That's not his fault.  If you actually look at the stats, his play wasn't all that bad in many of those playoff games.  I think it falls more on Caldwell/Dungy and Polian for not building a good team.  But you know how it goes with QBs.  People look at them like it's a one-man show.  If a playoff loss is Peyton's fault, then all those division titles and 12+ win seasons are also Peyton's fault.  It's a team game

To be fair he could have played better in the 04 and 05 playoff games since those were very good teams. The 06 team was not as good but it was still good enough when the team had a little luck - Chargers were knocked out by Pats, and Bears were surprisingly in the SB just set to be destroyed.

Earlier than 04 it was understandable that Manning needed to learn and they had not finish putting the team together yet. But after 06 the teams were not very good and to Manning's credit the 09 team was not as good as its record and had no business going to the SB without Manning's brilliance in the playoff.

To be fair he could have played better in the 04 and 05 playoff games since those were very good teams. The 06 team was not as good but it was still good enough when the team had a little luck - Chargers were knocked out by Pats, and Bears were surprisingly in the SB just set to be destroyed.

Earlier than 04 it was understandable that Manning needed to learn and they had not finish putting the team together yet. But after 06 the teams were not very good and to Manning's credit the 09 team was not as good as its record and had no business going to the SB without Manning's brilliance in the playoff.

That is pretty much Manning's luck in a nutshell...  comes to a team that has no defense... lack of said defense makes his flaws shine instead of hide them (ala Patriots) when he does start to figure it all out?  He has a shell of a team left to do anything with...

Guy is just a victim of his own greatness.  He has fault, but his brilliance outweighs that by a mile.

Plus he cures kids at the children's hospital!

My son's middle name is because of the hospital that Manning built a wing on.  Saved my life as an infant.

I hate that the "rings argument" outweighs all of the his amazing stats and individual accomplishments.  I hope he wins another one, just so the critics will have one less thing to try and nitpick about.  Yes; Ugg may have more rings but that's a team accomplishment.  That's a FRANCHISE accomplishment.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 24, 2014 - off topic
Hidden by Nadine, January 24, 2014 - off topic

Was there ever more rain in any other super bowl?

Sure. There have been rainy SBs before and snow and ice too. It rained but monsoon is ridiculous. And don't think rain has ever been issue for Manning just the cold and wind. He still has yet to win a playoff game when it is under 40. Sunday gives him another chance.

Sure. There have been rainy SBs before and snow and ice too. It rained but monsoon is ridiculous. And don't think rain has ever been issue for Manning just the cold and wind. He still has yet to win a playoff game when it is under 40. Sunday gives him another chance.

When? I am pretty sure SB41 is the only SB to be played in any kind of precipitation. Some have been played in the cold, and there's been snow in the host city on SB week (Dallas, Atlanta), but SB41 is the only Super Bowl played in the rain or snow.

Please tell me about these other rainy and snow/ice Super Bowls.

Do you ever tire of being wrong?

When? I am pretty sure SB41 is the only SB to be played in any kind of precipitation. Some have been played in the cold, and there's been snow in the host city on SB week (Dallas, Atlanta), but SB41 is the only Super Bowl played in the rain or snow.

I wasn't just including the SB era but all championship games. You had the ice bowl and other champ games decided in the snow. But like I said, don't think rain has ever been issue for Manning as much as the cold and wind. But SB41 was not a monsoon by any stretch of the imagination. That was my main point.

I wasn't just including the SB era but all championship games. You had the ice bowl and other champ games decided in the snow. But like I said, don't think rain has ever been issue for Manning as much as the cold and wind. But SB41 was not a monsoon by any stretch of the imagination. That was my main point.

don't fall down back tracking

The firs SB wasn't close to a Monsoon and there is no snow currently predicted for next Sunday.

It wasn't technically a Monsoon. You are correct there, however there was a lot of rain. The current forecast calls for a high of 35, a low of 25, and a 30-percent chance of snow.

Where does it say pre superbowl era in this post? It clearly says rainy and snow and icy superbowls..

don't fall down back tracking

My point has not changed. SB41 was not close to a monsoon. NFL champ games have been played in inclement weather including rain, snow and ice. Manning's issues have never been rain but cold and wind. Still has yet to win a playoff game in under 40 degrees.

Two points:

1) There has only been one Super Bowl played in any kind of precipitation.

2) I wouldn't call it a monsoon, but it wasn't some light drizzle, nor was it a passing rain. It rained pretty hard, and for practically the entire game.

Two points:

1) There has only been one Super Bowl played in any kind of precipitation.

2) I wouldn't call it a monsoon, but it wasn't some light drizzle, nor was it a passing rain. It rained pretty hard, and for practically the entire game.

Good then we agree.

Not quite. You were wrong and everyone knows it.

lol. Let's see it wasn't a monsoon - I was right. Other champ games have been played in bad weather - I was right. And third and most importantly Manning had never struggled in the rain but the cold and win. Right again.

What? The post says monsoon. It was wrong from the get go.

It was closer to a monsoon than any Superbowl has ever been icy or snowy. Nice back track though. Would expect nothing less

lol. Let's see it wasn't a monsoon - I was right. Other champ games have been played in bad weather - I was right. And third and most importantly Manning had never struggled in the rain but the cold and win. Right again.

Superbowl was what was said, by the op and yourself

My point has not changed. SB41 was not close to a monsoon. NFL champ games have been played in inclement weather including rain, snow and ice. Manning's issues have never been rain but cold and wind. Still has yet to win a playoff game in under 40 degrees.

Colts/Chiefs in 2003 was 40 degrees at kickoff. I think thst qualifies. And the Colts scored 38 points.

The only three other playoff games in cold weather were last year vs Ravens, which should have been won, and 2003/4 vs Pats. It's not like there are lot of them.

Lastly, Manning has plenty of cold weather wins. Playoffs or not, the cold weather theme is and always has been overblown.

Colts/Chiefs in 2003 was 40 degrees at kickoff. I think thst qualifies. And the Colts scored 38 points.

The only three other playoff games in cold weather were last year vs Ravens, which should have been won, and 2003/4 vs Pats. It's not like there are lot of them.

Lastly, Manning has plenty of cold weather wins. Playoffs or not, the cold weather theme is and always has been overblown.

Manning has never won a playoff game below 40. You can look it up.

What if's don't count.

Monsoon is an exaggeration. It was raining pretty hard. Nitpick over monsoon if you want, but the point stands.

You were wrong, plainly, about the Super Bowl being played in rain, snow and ice. You don't get to be a stickler over "monsoon" and then fudge details on Super Bowl.

it wasn't a drizzle or passing rain.  I was there.  It rained almost the entire time and I was soaked after the game despite the fact I was wearing a poncho.  It was a pretty solid rainy game, Manning played well against one of, if not the best defense in the league that year.  End of story. 

As for the "Manning can't play in the cold" narrative (which I've always thought was stupid anyway), if he wins a superbowl in cold weather, it will go a long way to shutting the critics up.