Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Thought Chuck Was A Defensive Guru?

presto123

Isn't that how he was billed coming from Baltimore? He has to be embarrassed by the number of points given up by the defense in the two playoff games. I realize he's not the defensive coordinator, but to give up 90 or so points in the playoffs, shouldn't somebody be held accountable?  Will Chuck make some changes to the staff? Even though the talent level might not be all the way there yet, I thought the team would really have turned the corner on the defensive side by now. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that how he was billed coming from Baltimore? He has to be embarrassed by the number of points given up by the defense in the two playoff games. I realize he's not the defensive coordinator, but to give up 90 or so points in the playoffs, shouldn't somebody be held accountable?  Will Chuck make some changes to the staff? Even though the talent level might not be all the way there yet, I thought the team would really have turned the corner on the defensive side by now. 

He had to work with what he had, and he made something out of almost nothing. Our CBs were good, Mathis, Redding were outstanding, still there are posts to improve. McNary is promissing, Werner keeps getting better.

I can see some changes in coaching stuff, LBer coach perhaps... I think execution was the problem.

Edit: Redding was left out accidentlly.

We had a respectable 11 starters on defense when the year started and we were healthy other than Fili Moala.  It looked as though we had the Raven-esque defense when we literally shut down the San Francisco 49ers.

Our problem to me is the depth issue at corner and Safety.  Toler goes down and it is a combo of Vaughn, Gordy and Butler covering the best receivers in football....and other than a pick 6 or 2 from Butler and SOME improvement from Vaughn, the corner depth was horrible.  At safety, Howell did a respectable job replacing the injured Laron Landry before he went down.  When Landry came back he could not cover his grandmother and missed too many tackles.  

Angerer looked healthy early....was still injured and got worse as the season went on and is done with the Colts IMO.  Thank goodness for the youth and exuberance of Josh McNary filling in late...and Sheppard played better late.  Still I am in wonderment as to why the Colts do not like Conner.....OK another story.

D-Line:  More Chap and less Franklin next year.  Is RJF the answer at DT?  Redding getting older...time for a name there...and a LB name?

Bottom line:  One step at a time...11-5 with a weak schedule and a playoff loss.....11-5 with a strong schedule and a playoff win...Next year??????  Lets go for it!!!  

indianapolis_colts.jpg

We had a respectable 11 starters on defense when the year started and we were healthy other than Fili Moala.  It looked as though we had the Raven-esque defense when we literally shut down the San Francisco 49ers.

Our problem to me is the depth issue at corner and Safety.  Toler goes down and it is a combo of Vaughn, Gordy and Butler covering the best receivers in football....and other than a pick 6 or 2 from Butler and SOME improvement from Vaughn, the corner depth was horrible.  At safety, Howell did a respectable job replacing the injured Laron Landry before he went down.  When Landry came back he could not cover his grandmother and missed too many tackles.  

Angerer looked healthy early....was still injured and got worse as the season went on and is done with the Colts IMO.  Thank goodness for the youth and exuberance of Josh McNary filling in late...and Sheppard played better late.  Still I am in wonderment as to why the Colts do not like Conner.....OK another story.

D-Line:  More Chap and less Franklin next year.  Is RJF the answer at DT?  Redding getting older...time for a name there...and a LB name?

Bottom line:  One step at a time...11-5 with a weak schedule and a playoff loss.....11-5 with a strong schedule and a playoff win...Next year??????  Lets go for it!!!  

Like_1.jpg

Weather or not he is a defensive minded, The defense was below average on all phases after the Broncos game, did not looked prepared for the most part and everyone on defense looked clueless as to what to do next on the field. Also IMO the defense looked tired in both playoff games  

We had 8 turnovers in two games. It's hard to stop the other team when they get gifter the ball within our own 20, over and over.

how many of those turnovers were TD or FG,  If so the defense could of held them to FG instead of TD IMO yes I understand do not throw the pick 

When we play press man, we were pretty good. 

For some dumb reason, we came out of the gate on D in zone coverage. 

That's not very guru-ish. :(

When Manusky's defense is/was aggressive, we were hard to beat.  He has ALWAYS been criticized for being too conservative.  Press Coverage is needed in any passing situation IMO....you HAV to keep the receivers from running THEIR route.  

As you know I hate the phrase "Bend but don't break."  It becomes what I call "Bend but don't win"  if done over and over.  Still searching for that 37-0 mentality vs 45-44.  I had enough heart surgery and procedures this year.  :)

First off, he is the head coach not the defensive coordinator.  He can influence it but he is not in charge of schemes.  Secondly, all the worry about our secondary and why they played zone instead of press coverage, it is irrelevant.  How many TD passes did Brady throw?  It was our inability to stop their running attack that lost us the game.  That couples with the fact Andrew Luck had two bad games this post season.  Having only thrown 9 picks all year he threw over half that in just two playoff games.  We were very lucky to beat Kansas City, I won't detract from their determination but nine times out of ten, we lose a game played like that.  As for New England, yes there were some poor calls and non-calls by the officials but we spotted a team like the Patriots 14 points and that is never a good thing.  Hard to keep coming back in games against quality opponents.  We need to fix the run defense, improve our rushing attack and learn how to play coming out of the gate.  Luck will continue to learn and improve as will the rest of our young up and comers.  Should be interesting to see who we keep and who we let sail in FA this year.  There is quite a list of names, most of which were contributors all year so it is going to be interesting to say the least.

First off, he is the head coach not the defensive coordinator.  He can influence it but he is not in charge of schemes.  Secondly, all the worry about our secondary and why they played zone instead of press coverage, it is irrelevant.  How many TD passes did Brady throw?  It was our inability to stop their running attack that lost us the game.  That couples with the fact Andrew Luck had two bad games this post season.  Having only thrown 9 picks all year he threw over half that in just two playoff games.  We were very lucky to beat Kansas City, I won't detract from their determination but nine times out of ten, we lose a game played like that.  As for New England, yes there were some poor calls and non-calls by the officials but we spotted a team like the Patriots 14 points and that is never a good thing.  Hard to keep coming back in games against quality opponents.  We need to fix the run defense, improve our rushing attack and learn how to play coming out of the gate.  Luck will continue to learn and improve as will the rest of our young up and comers.  Should be interesting to see who we keep and who we let sail in FA this year.  There is quite a list of names, most of which were contributors all year so it is going to be interesting to say the least.

That is why I mentioned Manusky...

BTW, most here were talking about the entire season, not just the NE playoff debacle...that was lost by the team.  Welcome to the forum.  We look forward to your input on the offseason possibilities!!  :)

Pagano also has to take blame for the defense losing us a playoff game.[/quote

The defense did not lose us the game. It was an all around team loss

That's funny I swore it was turnovers that cost us the game... The defense isn't bad. They just need to execute.

Interceptions contributed greatly.  Without the picks it would have been a different game.  It was an all around team loss.

2 of Lucks picks weren't his fault at all. 1 of them game in garbage time and 1 other came down 14 with 10 minutes left. The offense was scoring a lot, the defense gave up TD after TD and guess what KC and NE did on 3rd down against our D? Thats right, they let them convert 20-34 3rd downs good for 58%!

how many of those turnovers were TD or FG,  If so the defense could of held them to FG instead of TD IMO yes I understand do not throw the pick 

I checked through the box scores and play by pay on espn, I too wanted to know... 3 interception and 1 fumble cost us 17 points in KC... 4 int cost us 14 points in NE... we gave up 83 points in 2 games which minus the 31 in TO gives the D still a whopping 52 points given.. that is a hard number to get a win giving up that amount...  

I think we need to get a C (hopefully Mack) and maybe a G in the FA for the Oline... would love to get Author Jones in FA... not impressed with Landry or Toler... loose their contracts and start over .. TJ Ward and Sam Sheilds would be vast inprovements.. if we cut Walden before April 4th ( I think) it saves us a lot of money... 

Draft D... 2. OLB, ( Noy /Sam) 3. Redding DE Cal ( he Will plug up the middle...5.ILB Bullough (if he is still there) 6. Hakeem Smith  Safety.. 7. Marcus Williams CB N.Dakota St.   I think we will be ok with Receivers with Reggie coming back and a whole off-season plus OTA's and Trainig Camp

He is a defensive minded coach.

So, if the defense is performing that badly maybe that tells fans here just how lacking in talent the defense really is??

Just some food for thought......

We were sold a completely false bill of goods with this "Pagano is a defenseive guru" nonsense.

As he's pretty much worthless as far as improving the defense, the one thing he was brought in here to do, I fail to see anything that he brings to the table as a head coach.

Davis & Toler were both hampered by their groin injuries during the playoffs.

Landry didn't look good coming off his concussion last week.

Losing your starting secondary certainly won't help in the playoffs.

I don't put it on Chuck, I put it on the injury bug.

Yet New England ran all over us, with 104 of Blount's 166 yards coming before anyone had so much as laid a finger on him.....which is an astounding stat.

No....Pagano's defense is soft and completely flawed.  He seemingly has no clue what to do out there.

2 of Lucks picks weren't his fault at all. 1 of them game in garbage time and 1 other came down 14 with 10 minutes left. The offense was scoring a lot, the defense gave up TD after TD and guess what KC and NE did on 3rd down against our D? Thats right, they let them convert 20-34 3rd downs good for 58%!

I agree the D was getting ran over like nothing and it is the biggest problem on this team, Oline would be next.  Blame for the picks is meaningless, they were still turnovers that ended in if I remember correctly 14 points for the Pats. Down 14 with 10 minutes left is not garbage time at all, that is easily surmountable.  Its simple really, 4 turnovers by the colts and defense could not stop the run.  Even with the D getting destroyed they were still in the game in the fourth but take away those 4 turnovers and its a tossup of a game.

indianapolis_colts.jpg

indianapolis_colts.jpg

Agree with this, Conner intrusting why he wasn't used more gone probably too!

That is why I mentioned Manusky...

BTW, most here were talking about the entire season, not just the NE playoff debacle...that was lost by the team.  Welcome to the forum.  We look forward to your input on the offseason possibilities!!   :)

I was responding to the original poster, not any of the subsequent post.

I checked through the box scores and play by pay on espn, I too wanted to know... 3 interception and 1 fumble cost us 17 points in KC... 4 int cost us 14 points in NE... we gave up 83 points in 2 games which minus the 31 in TO gives the D still a whopping 52 points given.. that is a hard number to get a win giving up that amount...  

I think we need to get a C (hopefully Mack) and maybe a G in the FA for the Oline... would love to get Author Jones in FA... not impressed with Landry or Toler... loose their contracts and start over .. TJ Ward and Sam Sheilds would be vast inprovements.. if we cut Walden before April 4th ( I think) it saves us a lot of money... 

Draft D... 2. OLB, ( Noy /Sam) 3. Redding DE Cal ( he Will plug up the middle...5.ILB Bullough (if he is still there) 6. Hakeem Smith  Safety.. 7. Marcus Williams CB N.Dakota St.   I think we will be ok with Receivers with Reggie coming back and a whole off-season plus OTA's and Trainig Camp

How many three and outs put the D back on the field just minutes after they got off?  Not saying it is all on the offense or defense but both sides had issues.  we need line solutions first and foremost, both Offense and Defense.

Chuck knows defense,i thinks its hard when you have only one guy who can  consistently rush the passer.Then u get into blitzing,opening up chunks of yardage if you dont get there.We need a guy on d line who can pressure,imo.We need more playmakers and chuck will be that guru.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!   Coach Chuck a 'guru'?  Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Actually, there is ONE thing Pagano is a 'guru' at.....EXAGERATION!