Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

play calling

Knuckles79

I will say I have had my few moments calling out the coaching staff . It seems to me pep is calling games better lately and also letting luck run a hurry up offence more and it seems to be working. I just love the chip shot chip shot bang. He also is finding ways to get trich involved. Good job of late pep you deserve it.

How'd trich do today? I couodnt watch the game. Also how'd my boy mcnary do?

McNary met MJD today and it didn't go well for McNary at least on that one play.  I know he played more than that one play but it's the only one that stuck out. 

As for T-Rich he had a couple of decent runs and a nice catch or two and scored a TD (his first since the last Jags game).  Better production than we had been getting over most of the season but still not what most expected when we traded for him. 

There were several plays where TRich came out of the backfield as either a hot or an inside option and he was very open.  In particular the pass play to Hilton at about the 11:52 mark in the 1st quarter could have been to either guy.  As much as I like Hilton I think TRich could have made as much or YAC on that play. 

How'd trich do today? I couodnt watch the game. Also how'd my boy mcnary do?

Mcnary had 5 Tackles today that were solo and 2 assisted as far as statistically, He also got a QB Hit on Henne at 2:04 of the 2nd Quarter, He did however give up a 13 yard pass to Drew but he read the play well just had a hard time bringing him down, All 22 is not out yet and for some reason or another some plays that I click on (especially late 2nd quarter and 3rd quarter) are coming up as different plays in the game other then what I am clicking on so waiting for them to fix that before I let ya know more

Pep is doing better but in the NFL world, he has a ways to go. Maybe it's him or maybe it's Pagani but someone keeps taking their foot off the gas pedal. After an awesome 1st q, we seemed to slow down and while its true we were up already, still just seemed we went flat for awhile. Perhaps we were trying some new wrinkles but what I hope to see in the playoffs is 2-3 designated runs from Luck. Use his athleticism and make the teams who are flat out rushing with little fear of him running in an unoccupied gap, pay for that. I do like the formations of what appears to be a heavy run attempt and passing out of that. I would also like to see a few attempted formations with Trich and DB in at the same time making the defense wonder what we are up to. Run or pass?? Pep has improved but in the offseason, he needs to really look at his season of flaws and make some improvements and creativity in his schemes. An improved online will help too.

I think Pep has been calling games much better over the last few weeks and I like the change, would like to see a little more hurry up we have the personnel for it.  I only have a small issue with Luck trying to force the ball to T.Y a little to often but that is minor and I shouldnt complain as I am seeing the progress we needed. 

I think we have a real shot at making some noise in the playoffs.

GO COLTS

I think Pep started reading this board a few weeks ago. He's finally figuring out some things. Things that we have been suggesting for a while now. Things like there are other ways to use Trent than pounding him up the middle on obvious run plays.

It cracks me up that people think that the coaches that have been doing their job for years and years. Pay attention to fans thoughts on how they do their job.  And then change what they are doing.  hahaha

I was the first one to say pep was not doing a good job but as long as the opposing defenses load up the box against the colts forcing the colts to pass it will be hard to rush no matter what the offensive lineup is, the opposing teams are forcing the colts to pass because of luck being so young in the nfl and see if he makes a mistake. When the colts was in a slump it was due to no experience at the wr corp so the colts had no choice but to ride the roller coaster until the right personnel was in place and the receiving corp got some reps.  

It cracks me up that people think that the coaches that have been doing their job for years and years. Pay attention to fans thoughts on how they do their job.  And then change what they are doing.  hahaha

I wasn't serious about Pep actually reading this board or caring about fans opinions. I WAS serious about Pep needing to get a clue and start being more flexible and diversive in his play calling and schemes in accordance with the team and individuals strenghts and weaknesses. Maybe he is starting to get it.

I see we are running the ball alot out of shotgun which I like  :clap:

The Jags defended the runs out of the gun very well. Time to add more off tackle stuff, which we used well in power formations yesterday. Before you know it, we'll have a nice, balanced rushing attack.

The Jags defended the runs out of the gun very well. Time to add more off tackle stuff, which we used well in power formations yesterday. Before you know it, we'll have a nice, balanced rushing attack.

I would like to see Trent in single back formations running a stretch play here and there though.  

I will say I have had my few moments calling out the coaching staff . It seems to me pep is calling games better lately and also letting luck run a hurry up offence more and it seems to be working. I just love the chip shot chip shot bang. He also is finding ways to get trich involved. Good job of late pep you deserve it.

Yeah, looks like Pep-boy has finally given up on forcing the run when everyone is expecting it.

I would like to see them run Richardson more when we spread the field with 3 wide sets. I do feel that part of the problem with Richardson is not his fault, it's tough to run out of a 3 tight set with a fullback and the defense stacking the box!

I would also like to see Fleener flanked out wide more. We have to take more advantage of his size and speed. If he does not make the play on a smaller defensive player, that is on him. I really feel we are underutilizing Fleener.

From ESPN++++++++++ (Read the bolded at the end as a response to this OP)

The Colts went from having Wayne as the No. 1 receiver to second-year player T.Y. Hilton's taking his spot. Darrius Heyward-Bey still lacked the mental focus to catch the ball. LaVon Brazill was suspended the first four games of the season, and Griff Whalen was on the practice squad the three games before Wayne’s injury.

Quarterback coach Clyde Christensen spoke up after Wayne's injury and said Luck had to maintain a "steady temperature," according to Hasselbeck, and simply reminded him what the focus needed to be.

“Really didn’t have to (talk a lot about it) because we’ve been through so much adversity and injuries,” Pagano said. “I think Reggie was the last of the five starters on the offensive side of the ball that we lost. And so there was really no need for a discussion.”

The start without Wayne wasn’t bad because Hilton had 14 catches for 251 yards in the first two games. Wayne's absence became noticeable when teams found a way to slow Hilton down by giving help over top, forcing Luck to go elsewhere with the ball.

That didn’t turn out too well.

He only completed 50.5 percent of his passes with three touchdowns and two interceptions in the first five games without Wayne.

Luck, who would rather compliment than ridicule a teammate, didn’t get discouraged. Drop a pass and he had no problem going back to that receiver the next time the opportunity presented itself.

The continuity started to show against Cincinnati on Dec. 8 when Brazill and Da'Rick Rogers, who was brought up from the practice squad, combined for 160 yards and four touchdowns.

The sudden maturity at receiver allowed the Colts to use a no-huddle offense with Luck in the shotgun. He completed 67 percent of his attempts for six touchdowns and only one interception in the final four games of the regular.