Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning MVP. Locked In?

IndyTrav

Then you must have been devastated in 2010.

That year Peyton played brilliantly despite a weaker cast of skill players than Brady has now, and dragged a team (with vastly less defense than NE has now) into the playoffs. He was also already starting to show signs of the injury issues that later sidelined him. It might have been his best performance ever, yet he was overwhelmed in his voting by Brady's dominating stats with a better team.

And I didn't have a problem with that - it's the way the "game" is played.

More importantly, Brady has looked liked crud for most of this season, only stepping up the past 2-3 games. The Pats record isn't a reflection of his play - just ask a Pats fan. He shouldn't even be in the MVP conversation.

So even if you make it about the injured skill players, you could easily say that Peyton dealt with the problems in 2010 far better than Brady has dealt with his this year. And Peyton is on course to have a better year statistically than Brady had in 2010. So to the original question, I'll say again that if he slips he may lose it to Brees - it's far from locked up. But if he leads the league in TDs and yards while leading the Broncos to the #1 seed he IS going to win the MVP. I don't see any rational basis to think otherwise.

I was. it was sham that he won it over manning when he did have less

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still 5000 yards. he broke a record that stood for like 25 years or so

Aaron Rogers broke the passer rating record which is way better than pure yardage and AP had the best (or 2nd best depending in how you look at it) season ever by a runnigback.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Brees should have won it that year.

Wow.  I thought I was the only one.  Thanks Dustin.  My point was is that the voters don't always look at stats if they are fairly close. Peyton won one more game than Brees that year (Brees also had a running game), and that may have gotten him MVP.  Just like Peyton (as it stands right now) has a one game edge over Brady.  The disparity in Peyton's and Brady's stats is so vast, that nothing else should even come into play.

It's not a huge deal in the end though, it's a glorified voting popularity contest.

The real prize are the playoff wins in the end.

Any player would rather get the SB ring over the MVP trophy......

Yeah, but this thread is specifically talking about the MVP. Why do people have to put this disclaimer in every thread pertaining to the MVP? I don't get it. (Not a shot at you specifically)

All it takes is one game.

Welker dropped a pass from Brady which would have gotten him his 4th ring.

Anyways, no more logic with you. We got another AMF going on here.

your labeling welker a dropper for one game and one play? do you have any idea how difficult a catch that was

Yeah, but this thread is specifically talking about the MVP. Why do people have to put this disclaimer in every thread pertaining to the MVP? I don't get it. (Not a shot at you specifically)

Cause in a way it's true......

But, the first line of my last post is probably what I really meant. It IS a popularity contest and often it does start early in the season IMO. And in a way the 7 TD performance by Peyton week 1 vs. the Ravens alone was an early hype factor in pushing the MVP agenda all season.

Overall though I think it's a relatively weak year for MVP. I don't see too many who I think are jumping out there with terrific performances.

Brees should have won it that year.

Gotta disagree with that. I still consider that Manning's best season. Mediocre offensive line (Charlie Johnson at LT for crying out loud)working with a couple young unproven receivers. But most importantly, he was tremendously clutch all season, allowing the colts to win several games that had no business winning.

you can go ahead. peyton is throwing to three top wrs that can all be ones on another offense. brady's got a wounded TE, a qb turned wr, and two rookies

Was Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas looked at as elite receivers 2 years ago when Tim Tebow was throwing them the ball?

Brees is long overdue for an MVP but I doubt they give it to him cause he always gets snubbed. But, if he beats Seattle/Carolina and they get the #1/#2  seed in the end my vote is Brees possibly...

Peyton had a poor game in NE and a lackluster game against the Colts until the end when he almost came back and won in a furious comeback......."almost".....Beating KC is nice and all but it's not a statement win either to me.

But, it probably goes to Peyton as long as they win the AFC West.

It looks a bit like 2009 in a way with Peyton being ahead of Brees again in standings and both teams fighting to be the #1 seed......

It's not a huge deal in the end though, it's a glorified voting popularity contest.

The real prize are the playoff wins in the end.

Any player would rather get the SB ring over the MVP trophy......

All valid points Jules [what I highlighted.] But, I look at Peyton's RB situation...Hillis & Ball fumble the ball all the time or at the worst time when you need to bleed the clock down. Is Moreno healthy after that relentless ground game loss against NE? If 18 can still win the division with no reliable ground game at his disposal it's a lock. Forget the MVP race, just show me a Denver Playoff victory. That's all SW1 wants for Christmas Santa. 

I will admit though that Brees does get overshadowed by Manning & Brady. No argument there. 

Was Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas looked at as elite receivers 2 years ago when Tim Tebow was throwing them the ball?

Well to be fair it was Thomas 2nd yr, dealing with injuries, as he did the year before. He was a 1st rd pick.

And yes, Decker did fairly excellent year all things considered. It was his 2nd year, and he was catching passes from 2 QBs who havent started a game in 2 years.

Jules does bring up an intriguing point though: Should there be a statute of limitations on the number of MVP Award 1 repeat recipient can win? Is there a maximum amount of MVPs 1 QB can legally win? Why not spread the wealth & accolades a little bit? 

I realize of course what the counter argument to such a proposal would be: There are only about 5 elite QBs in this league: Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady & Eli Manning when he gets hot. Therefore, the argument is simple. The pool of applicants every season is tiny in scope to begin with already. Also, why would you deny an elite QB having a monster year regardless of what they have achieved in the past? In addition, isn't this league supposed to turn the torch over to changing of the guard field generals with tremendous potential like Andrew Luck, Russel Wilson, & Colin Kaepernick who have shown flashes of brilliance? There only issue is time & consistency playing in the NFL.

No established QB can remain in the limelight forever. If you spend too much time in the sun, you become a raisin AKA Brett Farve & you never want to wear out your welcome. 

Also, why are so many voters for selecting the MVP Award media pundits as opposed to former players? That fact always irritates me & gets under my skin personally...

All valid points Jules [what I highlighted.] But, I look at Peyton's RB situation...Hillis & Ball fumble the ball all the time or at the worst time when you need to bleed the clock down. Is Moreno healthy after that relentless ground game loss against NE? If 18 can still win the division with no reliable ground game at his disposal it's a lock. Forget the MVP race, just show me a Denver Playoff victory. That's all SW1 wants for Christmas Santa. 

I will admit though that Brees does get overshadowed by Manning & Brady. No argument there

Oh absolutely, which is why I still want to see what the Saints do the rest of the season with the game in Seattle and two games vs. Carolina too in terms of tough opponents.....

I know Manning has been pretty much a lock though since week 1 and especially after not getting it last year with Peterson being so dominant. So in a way I almost feel like Peyton was going to get it this year just because he didn't LAST YEAR.

Southwest we spoke about it being a popularity contest going back to last season......there is no doubt that if possible the league IMO will choose Manning first and Brady second in terms of QBs to give the MVP too or hope they get it.

But, sometimes I get sick of hearing how the MVP has to go to Peyton all the time. It's not that he isn't good to great most seasons but it does get a little "old" after a while......what Peyton needs is more playoff victories right now more then anything at this point in his career.

Brees is deserving every year. Same for Brady, Manning, Rodgers... This year, Manning has the edge. Still five weeks left. Brees and Manning are ahead of Brady, but things can change. Brees has a huge game on national TV this week. He could gain ground.

I wouldn't object if Brees won the MVP Superman, but it would feel odd though like when Brooks & Dunn always won Country Duo Of The Year like clockwork & then Montgomery Gentry won 1 year & it just felt peculiar like the Earth was not tilted properly on it's axle or something. Peyton is the Godfather of MVP Awards man. When a person messes with tradition, the masses sometimes get stunned. We are all creatures of habit you know. Just Kidding! 

In fairness to Drew Brees, he is having a great year & with Rob Ryan as the DC, he is helping #9 secure more offensive touches to proliferate his stats. Anything is possible...

Oh absolutely, which is why I still want to see what the Saints do the rest of the season with the game in Seattle and two games vs. Carolina too in terms of tough opponents.....

I know Manning has been pretty much a lock though since week 1 and especially after not getting it last year with Peterson being so dominant. So in a way I almost feel like Peyton was going to get it this year just because he didn't LAST YEAR.

Southwest we spoke about it being a popularity contest going back to last season......there is no doubt that if possible the league IMO will choose Manning first and Brady second in terms of QBs to give the MVP too or hope they get it.

But, sometimes I get sick of hearing how the MVP has to go to Peyton all the time. It's not that he isn't good to great most seasons but it does get a little "old" after a while......what Peyton needs is more playoff victories right now more then anything at this point in his career.

That's why I love reading your posts Jules because you always speak your mind & that's why I respect you so much. MVP should go to the best player that year not the most familiar one or the one whose name rolls off the tongue the easiest. A argument could be made that if an award is deemed an automatic formality, what the hades is the point of giving it if the element of surprise is completely eliminated?

Also, multiple MVP Awards should not be used as some sort of false equivalency standard to off set SB rings either. Not a shot or dig at Peyton just a reminder that  :lombardi: is what teams fight for not not individual hardware etc. Peyton has got to show me that he is still capable of winning in December. Brees not so much...

I still believe in 18, but I am more likely to demand Playoff wins now than I was previously. No excuses anymore Yoda; "Just Do It" thank you...Greatness can never be denied...Keep pushing Peyton...Keep pushing...I want one more ring on that finger Peyton, which I know you are capable of obtaining...

Folks who are tired of Manning winning the MVP or 'sick of him winning' are dealing in an alternate universe

He didn't win it last season ....He didn't play the year before..and he didnt win in 2010...

If NOLA wins out and Denver falters, Drew Brees could get the vote....but if Denver wins its last 5 games (which means . if they beat KC Sunday)  Denver will be the No.1 seed in the AFC.....and its Manning all the way....

...........the anti-Manning vote has a major problem in that..the records havent begun to fall..

Peyton Manning is 15 TDs short (with 5 games left) of 51 TDs, an all time NFL record.

He is 135 completed passes shot of Drew Brees' all-time single season record

Brees' 5,476 yards..the all-time pass yardage record is still in play (Manning needs 350 a game the final 5 weeks)

The last one is a monster record in an era where guys get 20 million a year for throwing for 4,000

Manning was also strong in Denver;s biggest game of the year so far......the must-win game vs. undefeated KC....

Well to be fair it was Thomas 2nd yr, dealing with injuries, as he did the year before. He was a 1st rd pick.

And yes, Decker did fairly excellent year all things considered. It was his 2nd year, and he was catching passes from 2 QBs who havent started a game in 2 years.

When I watch the Denver games it seems like Decker drops half the passes thrown his way. He is average at best. Demaryius Thomas is good but I think that if an average QB was throwing him the ball he would not get the same love that he does.

The weird thing is when I talk to Bayone, a medical Dr., he reminds me that it's even amazing that Peyton is even playing, especially at such a high level...Is it selfish of me to demand a higher standard of post season success? I don't know maybe I am just growing tired of fending off criticisms from my friends back in WI why 18 didn't perform so well in the Playoffs again. MVP Awards are spectacular sure, but so are victorious games late in the year. Yes I know, football is a team sport & no elite QB ever wins any game alone.

I will always revere Peyton even if my hope of a 2nd ring never comes to fruition. Is there some credibility to the notion that HC John Fox plays not to lose & has no gambler, wild side killer instinct inside of him?  In addition, I know that all elite QBs are extremely competitive by their very nature. I'm just trying to pinpoint what the primary problem in Denver is...An inconsistent running game? Chilly temperatures? A defense that isn't always stout stopping the pass?  

I guess MVPs don't carry that much weight with me when I know that Peyton's Championship window is starting ever so slightly to close. Brees, Brady, Rogers...they know when to slam the door shut on their enemy when it is time & Peyton does too, but auxiliary pieces around him seem to fall short. I can't explain it. 

When I watch Brees & Coach Payton on TV, they know when to take the game over & leave their opposition in the dust. The Broncos, on the other hand, seem to get a lead & take their foot off the accelerator more often then they should. Is the coaching staff trying to reduce the strain on Manning arm by limiting his long throws? I'm not trying to be overly critical here. I just wanna know what Denver's primary stumbling block is...If I didn't care so much I wouldn't talk about it so much. 

I just don't want MVP Awards to be symbolically used as an appeasement rationalization for why Peyton is having trouble securing a 2nd SB ring...that's the crux of my frustration right there. I wanna see 18 jump over this hurdle with a 2nd ring once & for all...

It probably boils down to the fact that I want another ring so bad for Peyton that I have a difficult time being objective sometimes. Would I trade in all 4 MVP Awards for a 2nd ring? Absolutely. 

I just don't wanna become that hopeless sap or Jim Carrey from "Dumb & Dumber"..."So, you're telling me there's a chance?" LOL! Only teasing...

SW1 jokes about this Manning dilemma to mask my animosity over the issue/fellow doubters...I have to in order to avoid my own familiar disbelief & disappointment again...MVPs are nice, but diamond jewelry is better.

He won the MVP in week 1.

There's no way they are going to choose anyone over here, even if someone out performs him.

Never say never Bogie. Just when you think you know how the powers that be should rule based on precedent they shock you & take an abrupt right turn from normal protocol. It's like trying to predict the Best Picture & Best Director at the Academy of Motion Pictures. They are seldom the same film or person affiliated with the identical project anymore.

If Brees is your main man, don't be so quick to think that a majority of voters will pass him over my friend. Tradition is tradition until a change alters it's overall outcome & trajectory. 

Then you must have been devastated in 2010.

That year Peyton played brilliantly despite a weaker cast of skill players than Brady has now, and dragged a team (with vastly less defense than NE has now) into the playoffs. He was also already starting to show signs of the injury issues that later sidelined him. It might have been his best performance ever, yet he was overwhelmed in his voting by Brady's dominating stats with a better team.

And I didn't have a problem with that - it's the way the "game" is played.

More importantly, Brady has looked liked crud for most of this season, only stepping up the past 2-3 games. The Pats record isn't a reflection of his play - just ask a Pats fan. He shouldn't even be in the MVP conversation.

So even if you make it about the injured skill players, you could easily say that Peyton dealt with the problems in 2010 far better than Brady has dealt with his this year. And Peyton is on course to have a better year statistically than Brady had in 2010. So to the original question, I'll say again that if he slips he may lose it to Brees - it's far from locked up. But if he leads the league in TDs and yards while leading the Broncos to the #1 seed he IS going to win the MVP. I don't see any rational basis to think otherwise.

I would argue that playing with rookie WRs, no Gronk for half the season, and other cast offs at TE, and leading his team to an 8-3 record is a HECK of a lot more impressive than what Peyton has done this year.

I have been saying this all year but this may be Brady's finest year since 2006 when he was throwing to Caldwell and Gaffney. But it is not MVP worthy. I think even he would admit that. His play just hasn't been there mostly because of all the new parts and injuries but this year's Pats team is more of a "team" then it has been in recent seasons. All I care about is the Lombardi anyways. Brady has two MVPs including the only unanimous MVP in league history. I would think the race comes down to Manning and Brees and that is only if Manning's play continues to drop in Dec and Brees plays lights out. Manning has been superb all season save for his game in NE which is pretty typical anyways when he faces Brady in the elements.

I think a far more interesting discussion is Coach of the Year. I think Bill is the most deserving but much will be determined on what happens with KC. If they continue to free fall then I would think Bill is a lock but given how much the media hates him, they could snub him as well.