Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning MVP. Locked In?

IndyTrav

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady and those Patriots were so much better than Manning and this years Broncos. No?

Based on? Winning a few more games?

I was also unaware the MVP was derived from how good the team is. Common sense would say that tarnishes an MVP, but don't strain yourself :)

By far the worst response you could have come up with.

I was also unaware the MVP was derived from how good the team is. Common sense would say that tarnishes an MVP, but don't strain yourself :)

Also helps when youre defense is ranked 4th and not 25th.

Nope. Clearly Tom was such an MVP that season, he also played on the defense. Man he's amazing.

Yea,yea. Gisele was right. Tom doesn't throw and catch the ball. However; he definitely throws, tackles, punts, kicks field goals, bats down passes. It amazes me to this day he can't master the craft of catching though.

Brady could steal MVP from Peyton

Posted by Mike Florio on December 13, 2013, 9:21 AM EST

Manning

Getty Images

In a year that inevitably will feature Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning bogarting the single-season touchdown pass record from Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Brady could return the favor when it’s time to tally the MVP votes.

And here’s where we begin the annual process of pointing out the deep and profound flaws with the “official” awards process to which the Associated Press stubbornly clings. It’s an all-or-nothing system based on a narrow pool of only 50 voters, most of whom cover only one team and some of whom shouldn’t have a vote for other reasons.

Last year, those 50 voters got it right, giving the MVP to Adrian Peterson after he willed the Vikings to the playoffs and nearly broke the single-season rushing record. For weeks, most assumed that Manning would win it in a landslide.

This year, that same assumption has applied. But with the Chargers once again finding a way to bedevil Manning and the Patriots now in position to swipe the No. 1 seed from the Broncos, Brady deserves serious consideration for the honor.

Brady’s stats don’t compare to Manning’s. But in the only stat that ever really matters — points scored vs. points allowed — Brady’s team could end up surpassing Manning’s.

Taking away the quarterbacks, which team is objectively better? On offense, it’s undoubtedly Denver. Brady has been dealing with injuries, inexperience, and at times incompetence.

While Brady’s passing skills arguably have begun to diminish, he now has a chance to do what has been throughout the season unthinkable. Brady can help the Patriots secure home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, forcing Manning and company to return to Foxboro for yet another cold-weather elimination game after which Peyton possibly won’t be telling people to shove things where the sun don’t shine.

Last year, Manning had to settle for offensive player of the year. This year, Manning may end up winning “only” the offensive player of the year award.

Yea,yea. Gisele was right. Tom doesn't throw and catch the ball. However; he definitely throws, tackles, punts, kicks field goals, bats down passes. It amazes me to this day he can't master the craft of catching though.

I almost threw up typing my last post.

Brady could steal MVP from Peyton

Posted by Mike Florio on December 13, 2013, 9:21 AM EST

Manning

Getty Images

In a year that inevitably will feature Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning bogarting the single-season touchdown pass record from Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Brady could return the favor when it’s time to tally the MVP votes.

And here’s where we begin the annual process of pointing out the deep and profound flaws with the “official” awards process to which the Associated Press stubbornly clings. It’s an all-or-nothing system based on a narrow pool of only 50 voters, most of whom cover only one team and some of whom shouldn’t have a vote for other reasons.

Last year, those 50 voters got it right, giving the MVP to Adrian Peterson after he willed the Vikings to the playoffs and nearly broke the single-season rushing record. For weeks, most assumed that Manning would win it in a landslide.

This year, that same assumption has applied. But with the Chargers once again finding a way to bedevil Manning and the Patriots now in position to swipe the No. 1 seed from the Broncos, Brady deserves serious consideration for the honor.

Brady’s stats don’t compare to Manning’s. But in the only stat that ever really matters — points scored vs. points allowed — Brady’s team could end up surpassing Manning’s.

Taking away the quarterbacks, which team is objectively better? On offense, it’s undoubtedly Denver. Brady has been dealing with injuries, inexperience, and at times incompetence.

While Brady’s passing skills arguably have begun to diminish, he now has a chance to do what has been throughout the season unthinkable. Brady can help the Patriots secure home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, forcing Manning and company to return to Foxboro for yet another cold-weather elimination game after which Peyton possibly won’t be telling people to shove things where the sun don’t shine.

Last year, Manning had to settle for offensive player of the year. This year, Manning may end up winning “only” the offensive player of the year award.

Brady is having an impressive year and I do think he the MVP of his team moreso than Manning but Manning deserves the MVP hands down even if the Pats get the 1 seed over the Broncos. I do think Bill gets coach of the year if the Pats are 1 seed.

Brady is having an impressive year and I do think he the MVP of his team moreso than Manning but Manning deserves the MVP hands down even if the Pats get the 1 seed over the Broncos. I do think Bill gets coach of the year if the Pats are 1 seed.

They'll never give BB coach of the year although he deserves it. The Patriots organization is held to different standards than the rest.

The Patriots strength of schedule was crazy compared to the jokers Peyton's Broncos have been beating on, plus Denver LOST to the play off teams (Colts, Patriots) and now the Chargers. The 2007 Patriots played the Steelers, Ravens, Giants,. Tom Brady set their offensive records against the best defenses in the league.

2007 Patriot offense > Bronco 2013 offense.

Anyone who says otherwise is crazy.

There's really only one that matters. The Lombardi. That's the one you earn, not the one a bunch of flawed hacks have a popularity vote over in order to award.

What??!!

You mean Bob Costas and Adam Shefter....in their size 6 shoes....should be taken with a grain of salt??!!

<<the crowd gasps!!>>

The Patriots strength of schedule was crazy compared to the jokers Peyton's Broncos have been beating on, plus Denver LOST to the play off teams (Colts, Patriots) and now the Chargers. The 2007 Patriots played the Steelers, Ravens, Giants,. Tom Brady set their offensive records against the best defenses in the league.

okay,  Call me :nutz:

Ok. Now I see. I don't think anyone will dispute the Patriots being the NFL's model organization top to bottom over the last decade and a half.

I don't think anyone will argue with that. What is more amazing is they did it without having any of their key players even being the best at his position during that time.

The jealousy and hatred for all things Patriots is at an all time high. This was the year they were going to fall on their faces for sure.

I don't know. I don't see it. I think many want them to fail understandably but they are getting an awful lot of praise for this season as they should. I am not sure how you can't give it to Bill at this point especially since the Chiefs fell off the map the last month.

I don't know. I don't see it. I think many want them to fail understandably but they are getting an awful lot of praise for this season as they should. I am not sure how you can't give it to Bill at this point especially since the Chiefs fell off the map the last month.

Don't get me wrong. He deserves it. I love this team and I think Bill is liking this year as well. He seems to be teaching more than ever.

Overall the '07 Pats team was better than this year's Broncs, IMO, but that's because they had a significantly better defense. The offenses are pretty comparable. Denver's got a better running game this season than NE had in '07, but in terms of complimentary football, the Pats could still play some defense back then. They had a couple of tight games, and it kind of gets lost but they did hold NY to only 17 points in the SB (they were just even more anemic on offense, lol)...

On topic though... 

Again... unless they changed the criteria for how the award is given out, Manning remains the easy front-runner. It's numbers-based, always has been. He may not win it unanimously, but even if his numbers are "average" the next two games, how could it go to anyone else? 

Overall the '07 Pats team was better than this year's Broncs, IMO, but that's because they had a significantly better defense. The offenses are pretty comparable. Denver's got a better running game this season than NE had in '07, but in terms of complimentary football, the Pats could still play some defense back then. They had a couple of tight games, and it kind of gets lost but they did hold NY to only 17 points in the SB (they were just even more anemic on offense, lol)...

On topic though...

Again... unless they changed the criteria for how the award is given out, Manning remains the easy front-runner. It's numbers-based, always has been. He may not win it unanimously, but even if his numbers are "average" the next two games, how could it go to anyone else?

I agree. That team was much more complete.

However, I have no clue how that made Tom a better MVP candidate in '07, than Peyton this year.

I agree. That team was much more complete.

However, I have no clue how that made Tom a better MVP candidate in '07, than Peyton this year.

FWIW, one of the writers with a vote actually tabbed Favre the MVP that year.  ;)

In reality those things don't (and shouldn't) impact MVP voting. If Brock Osweiler (sp?) came in and threw for 800 yards and 10 TDs in the last two games, that's about the only thing that could derail Manning's 5th MVP. It's a lock at this point, far as I'm concerned, and even as a Pats fan I'd call it a hose-job if it goes to anyone else. Credit where it's due. 

FWIW, one of the writers with a vote actually tabbed Favre the MVP that year. ;)

In reality those things don't (and shouldn't) impact MVP voting. If Brock Osweiler (sp?) came in and threw for 800 yards and 10 TDs in the last two games, that's about the only thing that could derail Manning's 5th MVP. It's a lock at this point, far as I'm concerned, and even as a Pats fan I'd call it a hose-job if it goes to anyone else. Credit where it's due.

That was my only point lol.

FWIW, one of the writers with a vote actually tabbed Favre the MVP that year.  ;)

The suspension of linebacker Von Miller, the loss of offensive tackle Ryan Clady to injury and the frightening heart ailment of Fox all were significant, but nothing compared to the defensive problems Denver must fix in a hurry.

For the first time, the Broncos have reason to doubt themselves.

Peyton Manning is the most valuable player in the league.

While this was far from Manning's best performance of the season, it served as nearly a perfect illustration of why no NFL team is more dangerously dependent on a single player.

If Manning does not operate at near 100 percent efficiency, the Broncos are in deep trouble

In 2013, this Denver defense is a ball of confusion. With defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio furiously substituting personnel as he tries to find some way to keep his undermanned unit competitive, the Broncos can run, run, run, but they sure can't hide.

Tackle? That would be asking too much of the Broncos at this point. Right now, Denver defenders are having trouble doing much more elementary tasks, such as counting to 11.

How lost and confused are the Broncos on defense? This is all you need to know. Rookie cornerback Kayvon Webster was penalized for being the 12th defender on the field when he raced off the Denver bench as San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers took the snap on a running play 40 yards from where Webster committed his silly mistake of youth.

But this is a hurting team. Denver can't stop anybody.

Manning is the MVP.

One-man teams don't win the Super Bowl.

Read more: Kiszla: Broncos need more than Peyton Manning to win it all - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_24715435/kiszla-broncos-need-more-than-peyton-manning#ixzz2nNRb8WPY 

Fans chant Defense

Just take the play that almost immediately followed the crowd's chant. The Broncos had backed up the Chargers inside their own 10-yard line on fourth down, and San Diego was getting ready to punt, ahead 24-10 midway through the third quarter. This is easy, guys. Sit back and let the team leading by 14 points boot the ball to Peyton Manning, the best quarterback in football.

And yet it was anything but easy. Nate Irving jumped offside, giving the Chargers a first down and every opportunity in the world to march down the field and score. They didn't end up putting points on the board, but they sure did march, eating up nearly seven more minutes to burn much of the third periiod

Read more: Broncos must pay better attention to details to keep winning - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24715376/broncos-must-pay-better-attention-details-keep-winning#ixzz2nNVtBwMA 

& NOW  Broncos rookie cornerback Kayvon Webster will undergo surgery Friday on his thumb.

expected to miss at least 1 gaame

OK he aint great , but who is left

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/12/12/kayvon-webster-to-have-thumb-surgery/24060/

Next game at texans, they  have nothing to lose interim coach wade Phllips says & he noted  we will try everything as a result ( sorry was on TV , no link )

The Ravens had NE beat that Monday night , which would have ruined their undefeated season, but another Classic Brady pass interference call was called against the Ravens. I believe it was fourth down and the game would have been over on a Brady incompletion, but the bogus flag flew out of the refs pocket.

The Ravens had NE beat that Monday night , which would have ruined their undefeated season, but another Classic Brady pass interference call was called against the Ravens. I believe it was fourth down and the game would have been over on a Brady incompletion, but the bogus flag flew out of the refs pocket.

The Ravens stopped the Pats on 4th down, but Rex Ryan called a timeout at the last minute and blew it. Then Brady scrambled for 12 yards and picked up the first down. The illegal contact call was on that play, but it was irrelevant as Brady already had the first down. Later that same drive, the Ravens got called for defensive holding on 4th down, but that call was legit. The real back breaker was the ill-conceived timeout.

The Ravens stopped the Pats on 4th down, but Rex Ryan called a timeout at the last minute and blew it. Then Brady scrambled for 12 yards and picked up the first down. The illegal contact call was on that play, but it was irrelevant as Brady already had the first down. Later that same drive, the Ravens got called for defensive holding on 4th down, but that call was legit. The real back breaker was the ill-conceived timeout.

Bad memory. I guess I tried to forget it. It was a bizarre ending.

I think it was the defensive holding I was thinking about.

I think it was the defensive holding I was thinking about.

Probably. I haven't seen the game in years, so maybe it was a bad call. But I remember thinking how the Ravens were self destructing after the timeout, not how the refs were hurting them. 

No they had them beat if the coaches didn't mess up and called the phoney TO.

it was a bizarre . . . what does not get talked about on the TO play was Brady stood up and stopped going forward . . . all I know was I heard a whistle Brady goes to the line kind of stands up, goes a little off tackle and gets knocked back . . . so although he was stopped he was not trying either . . . we will never know if he would of gotten it had he tried and no TO (of coarse Brady said the next day in his radio gig with WEEI that he heard the whistle and pulled up . . . and tongue and check said he would of gotten it, and he is pretty good sneaks but we will never know) 

from the def penalty I think it was a hold on Gaffney, the guy grabbed him and pulled off his hand warmer and then they was the unsportsmanlike conduct call . . .  

either way it was bizarre . . .