Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning MVP. Locked In?

IndyTrav

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one that thinks the MVP award is completely stupid?

Why not change it to "best stats" award, because that seems to be what everyone wants to give it for.

Denver was talented enough to be a divisional round play off team with Tim freaking Tebow. Peyton Manning makes Denver flashier. He doesn't transform them into something they already weren't.

Before this season ended, everyone said the Patriots were finished, yet they have the 2nd best record in the AFC, lost two of their games under really suspect official calls, and defeated the Broncos. Why? Solely because they have Tom Brady.

Why isn't that considered "most valuable player?"

What about Cam Newton? Where are the Panthers without him? Where are the Saints without Brees?

I thought we had offensive player of the year for a reason, yet we seem to give MVP to an offensive player of the year and Offensive player of the year to the runner up, or the reverse, or whatever.

These awards are just stupid.

There's really only one that matters. The Lombardi. That's the one you earn, not the one a bunch of flawed hacks have a popularity vote over in order to award.

I realize you're mad and hate Tom Brady.

Just try to understand where I'm coming from, living in a state that fields championship teams, regardless if it's baseball, hockey, basketball or football.

Little attaboy merit badges that people vote on, who may or may not have any idea what they're talking about, really doesn't get our blood pumping.

I realize you're mad and hate Tom Brady.

Just try to understand where I'm coming from, living in a state that fields championship teams, regardless if it's baseball, hockey, basketball or football.

Little attaboy merit badges that people vote on, who may or may not have any idea what they're talking about, really doesn't get our blood pumping.

Yet Pats fans have a weird obsession with the fact that Manning is about to get his 5th MVP and possible break Brady's most important record. You're trying too hard to seem like you don't care.

I don't want to see him break Brady's TD record, not that I think it'll stand for long in this league now anyway.

The primary reason I don't want him to is because

A. Manning has had a ridiculously soft schedule

B. Half of his TDs half been on lame screen passes and passes that are ten yard dump offs that his receiver runs 50 yards for a TD on.

So I'm being honest. No. I don't want Manning to do it. Looks like he will.

And... also being honest, I could care less about MVP. I never understood why you guys put so much into those (well, actually... I do).

It's a bunch of fat guys voting on something that's subjective. Big whoop? 

It's like winning an MTV movie award for best kiss.

Who cares?

Peyton Manning should definitely be considered one of the favorites for the MVP this season.  His stats and team record speak for itself.

But I don't think he should be an automatic lock for it as there needs to be discussion and close look at other players too around the league.

Others who should be considered MVP too in no particular order...

Cam Newton

Russel Wilson

Nick Foles

Calvin Johnson

Tom Brady <<<<< Two new rookie WR's.  No more Wes Welker, Dion Branch, Brandon Lloyd, Aaron Hernandez, Danny Woodhead.  Gronk and Amendola have been injured for many games in the first half of the season.  His #1 target is Julian Edelman.  The Pats' Defense has no Wilfork or Mayo.

I agree with the vast majority of your post here Pats fan, except that Nick Foles & Russel Wilson are no where near Peyton or Brady TD wise or annually throw for over 4,000 yards etc. etc. 

Am I the only one that thinks the MVP award is completely stupid?

Why not change it to "best stats" award, because that seems to be what everyone wants to give it for.

Denver was talented enough to be a divisional round play off team with Tim freaking Tebow. Peyton Manning makes Denver flashier. He doesn't transform them into something they already weren't.

Before this season ended, everyone said the Patriots were finished, yet they have the 2nd best record in the AFC, lost two of their games under really suspect official calls, and defeated the Broncos. Why? Solely because they have Tom Brady.

Why isn't that considered "most valuable player?"

What about Cam Newton? Where are the Panthers without him? Where are the Saints without Brees?

I thought we had offensive player of the year for a reason, yet we seem to give MVP to an offensive player of the year and Offensive player of the year to the runner up, or the reverse, or whatever.

These awards are just stupid.

There's really only one that matters. The Lombardi. That's the one you earn, not the one a bunch of flawed hacks have a popularity vote over in order to award.

Precisely, this is the only thing that matters:  :lombardi:  At this stage in Peyton or Brady's career, everything else is nothing more than a hood or Christmas tree ornament & I wish the MVP Award would stop being used as a 1 man lifetime achievement award. Well said Pats16No.  :hat:

Yes, I realize that Adrian Peterson has won the MVP Award & Peyton Manning received the Comeback Player Of The Year Award last season, but barring 18's 4 neck surgeries, he probably would have won MVP then too.

Look, here's my problem: If 1 QB always wins the same award, it minimizes the value of that award & makes it less relevant because not enough other QBs have a fair shot at winning it. I say that truthfully as a fan who reveres Peyton Manning too. Fairness means everything to me though as well as an equal shot at winning such a prestigious award. Forget popularity show me the ability to spread the award around. JMO.

It's like a baseball team with a limited revenue steam that can't compete with the NY Yankees. If you can't compete & are always in the basement no one shows up to watch. Why? Everyone in the ballpark already knows the final results ahead of time. Translation: With no sense of surprise, no one gives a crap what the primary outcome will be because they already know it. Sorry to mix sports genres there, but you get my point. No unpredictability whatsoever. 

I don't want to see him break Brady's TD record, not that I think it'll stand for long in this league now anyway.

The primary reason I don't want him to is because

A. Manning has had a ridiculously soft schedule

B. Half of his TDs half been on lame screen passes and passes that are ten yard dump offs that his receiver runs 50 yards for a TD on.

So I'm being honest. No. I don't want Manning to do it. Looks like he will.

And... also being honest, I could care less about MVP. I never understood why you guys put so much into those (well, actually... I do).

It's a bunch of fat guys voting on something that's subjective. Big whoop? 

It's like winning an MTV movie award for best kiss.

Who cares?

QBs don't pick who they face though. The league does that. All any QB can do, is play whatever team is on their schedule for 16 weeks. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Tom Brady BTW. His 1st ballot HOF legacy is secure & I believe he will win 1 more ring. He's too darn good not too especially with BB on the sidelines. Peyton Manning will play in 1 more SB. Will he win it? First things first let's win a Playoff game & take it 1 step at a time. Walk before you can run kind of thing. 

Your MTV best kiss line made me laugh.  :lol:  :funny:  lmao Best Kiss you say eh Pats16No? Just Kidding! See below: [sW1 is in a highly sarcastic mood right now.] 

"http://youtu.be/M1Sa_e3yv24"

IDK if anyone saw this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000292562/article/russell-wilson-nick-foles-peyton-manning-lead-mvp-race?campaign=Facebook_writers_brandt

disclaimer: he made it controversial on purpose to get more clicks/views and I'm making it worse

The strange thing about watching that video segment is this: 

1. QBs like Russel Wilson get passed over due that great defense & secondary & MVP voters are more likely to root for QBs on crappy teams that they alone carry to victory week after week.

2. Nick Foles has no shot at MVP. Why? His time as the Eagles starting QB is too small to judge fairly. Let's see him get punched in the mouth by Seattle, down 17 points, & then come back & win. 

3. Brady lost Hernandez, lost Welker, & Gronk was out for awhile. Plus, he went from a TE/WR approach to a ground game arsenal meaning his passing yards would decline & yet he still manages to win. He adapts to anything & still wins games in New Orleans & Houston when he has too. 

4. Peyton sweeps through his division with a laserbeam focus, has a weakness in cold weather, but he allows the running game to offset the necessity to throw long passes as often as he used to do in INDY. But again, forget the regular season, winning Playoff games is all I give a darn about. What scares me is that a 1st round bye courtesy of winning the AFC West will mess up Peyton's chemistry & he needs to play. Resting does not help Manning at all IMO. I've seen 18 get a week off & get steamrolled the following like clockwork in INDY. It sucks, but it's the truth. I can't lie man. 

It would be tragically ironic if Pete  Carroll's Seahawks beat the Broncos in the SB considering that Pete tried to convince Peyton to relocate to the Pacific NW in free agency. I think about this possibility a lot now actually. Seattle's defense would have a field day sacking Peyton who can't run & Richard Sherman is just waiting in the wings to pick 18's pass off. I worry about this a lot actually. 

That & HC John Fox playing timid & scared with no killer instinct inside of him irritates the hades out of me too. Fox is no risk taker at all. Avoid overtime & neutralize your enemy in regulation at all costs. I have always believed that. Never be afraid to take the kill shot. NE & BB understand this & I respect any gutsy attempt to win the game in regulation even if you ultimately fail. 

Your words conjured up the following image in my head: [Truthfully though, MVP Awards are more grand in magnitude than a thanks for participating skills ribbon though.] 

No disrespect intended to the Natl. Boy Scouts Organization either. I get your point though. For elite NFL teams, it's Championship or Bust. Point taken. It's lonely at the top for a reason: The drive to win at all costs doesn't exist on every squad & only through anger, disappointment, & determination will INDY, NE, or Denver have another shot at immortality. 

unifsash.jpg

In all honesty though, I do wonder who will take over the frontrunner elite QB mantle once Manning & Brady retire from the NFL? Luck & Rogers? Cam Newton & Russel Wilson? Colin Kaepernick & Matthew Stafford? Matt Ryan & RG3? Who will it be once the torch has been passed to the next generation? There is no right or wrong answer here. I just like projecting ahead I guess. Any thoughts or preferences? 

It's an intriguing question to mull over anyway... 

We never ran hurry up. We ran no huddle, and Peyton himself said he wouldn't call the offense he plays hurry up.

That is not true. While Peyton does not huddle it is not the text book def of hurry up, he often does snap the ball early if he likes the defensive look. Denver is at the top or might be the top team in most plays run this season. They were second last year. You don't run that many plays unless you are running plays quickly. Call it whatever you want but his style of play does gas his defense at times.

In all honesty though, I do wonder who will take over the frontrunner elite QB mantle once Manning & Brady retire from the NFL? Luck & Rogers? Cam Newton & Russel Wilson? Colin Kaepernick & Matthew Stafford? Matt Ryan & RG3? Who will it be once the torch has been passed to the next generation? There is no right or wrong answer here. I just like projecting ahead I guess. Any thoughts or preferences? 

I'm liking what I'm seeing from Newton. It took a while but he has really matured. Wilson has carried himself like a veteran since halfway through his rookie season. He gets it. My vote is for Newton and Wilson.

Against Houston he had a play where even the announcer said Brady threw out of boredom. It doesn't happen regularly like it used to, but he's gone from having great/the best pass protection in football downgraded to very good. Mostly due to injuries, but they're still very well coached.

Barring a blown block/missed assignment he still usually gets plenty of time. It's not a bonafide vault at present, but I guarantee you a guy like Rodgers or Luck would love to have it and it would be a substantial upgrade for most QB's.

You can find plays from any game in the NFL every week where both QBs have a long time in the pocket.  I remember the play you're referring to in the Houston game, but that was just the commentators providing commentary on that specific play, its not an indication of how much time Brady had all game long.

Brady took a shot that looked horrible in that game, he got hit from one side by a defender, then JJ Watt came from the other side and they twisted him around from both directions in his neck area.  It looked brutal and could have seriously injured him, but luckily he walked away from it.

He took quite a few big shots in that game.  Von Miller had a field day on Brady in the Broncos game as well.

That is not true. While Peyton does not huddle it is not the text book def of hurry up, he often does snap the ball early if he likes the defensive look. Denver is at the top or might be the top team in most plays run this season. They were second last year. You don't run that many plays unless you are running plays quickly. Call it whatever you want but his style of play does gas his defense at times.

That's not true? Yes, please Patriot fan give me all of your endless knowledge of the Colts offense.

I never said Denver doesn't run a fast offense, but you said it bled over from Indy. Which is why I said we never ran a hurry up. Peyton himself said he doesn't run hurry up m, when he was in Indy.

That's not true? Yes, please Patriot fan give me all of your endless knowledge of the Colts offense.

I never said Denver doesn't run a fast offense, but you said it bled over from Indy. Which is why I said we never ran a hurry up. Peyton himself said he doesn't run hurry up m, when he was in Indy.

Why so surly? I said it was not the text book def of hurry up but the quick play running is similar from his days in Indy (although he is running even faster in Denver). Not to mention it is the Tom Moore offense that be brought which is why Denver looks so much like his Indy teams although he is going to shatter what he did in 2003 with this current Denver team. I think he is going to get 55+ TDs.

Good choice. You didn't miss anything.

Dustin

To lose the MVP now?

Peyton would have to call a press conference and admit that Elisabeth Hasselbeck is his 'love child',

the product of a 1990s affair with Hillary Clinton

(and independents would still vote for him)

There are a couple of those MVPs that could have went either way....but Peyton has all but sewn up this one.....and yet all he wants is home field advantage and another shot at a SB. The reason why Peyton has been the front runner for the MVP was because he was breaking records EVERY week with their offense and threw like 20 tds before an int. He got out front early and really only had one subpar game...not even bad....as 2 tds in that wind against NE was just about as much limited by the success in the running game as it was the wind. It just isn't about winning every week that has put him out in front but the success he is having on offense. That offense runs because of him...he isn't letting up and is likely to finish with one of the greatest qb seasons of all time....another year...sure we can make arguements but this year....I don't think anyone could argue.

If Nick Foles started the whole season...perhaps though lol.

Foles for MVP!

Seriously that guy is looking good.

Without reading seven pages of this thread...

Unless they changed the criteria for the MVP, it would be nothing short of a travesty if anyone besides Manning wins it this year. 

CBS then ESPN, neither writer g has a vote, or at least didnt last year m, as of Post last Sunday Vs Titans game

NFL MVP Projection - CBS

1. Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning:

Peyton Manning didn't wrap up the MVP Award with his four-touchdown, 397-yard performance against Kansas City on Sunday, but he did put it on the top shelf where Drew Brees and Russell Wilson can't reach it (I know. That was a lame height joke. Don't get mad at me though, I've only used two all height jokes year and I was due, I haven't used one since October).

Manning now has 45 touchdown passes on the season and he only needs five more to tie Tom Brady's NFL single-season record of 50. As Imentioned three weeks ago, tying or breaking the touchdown pass record is pretty much a free pass to the MVP Award. Since 1963 every quarterback that's tied or set the touchdown pass record has gone on to win the MVP

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24373042/nfl-mvp-projection-one-heisman-trophy-winner-on-the-list

Dan Graziano's MVP Watch - ESPN

1 Peyton Manning

CMP: 366
ATT: 539
PCT: 67.9
YDS: 4,522
TD: 45
INT: 9
 Peyton Manning
ANALYSIS

When a race is over with a month left in the season, the tendency is to force a fresh narrative that creates the appearance of drama where none exists. This is not a sports-specific phenomenon. There was a time in the fall of 2012 when we were expected to believe Mitt Romney was closing the gap in the Presidential race. Turns out, he wasn't. Likewise, it turns out that believing Manning can't win in cold weather is like believing Godzilla can't lay waste to a city just because it's cloudy. And saying Russell Wilson should be MVP is like saying "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" should have won the 1939 Academy Award for Best Picture. There's nothing wrong with "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." It deserves all kinds of praise and adulation, and to be watched whenever possible. But it is not "Gone with the Wind." Wilson's 2013 performance may well be "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." But Manning's is "Gone with the Wind."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/106065/dan-grazianos-mvp-watch-15

CBS then ESPN, neither writer g has a vote, or at least didnt last year m, as of Post last Sunday Vs Titans game

NFL MVP Projection - CBS

1. Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning:

Peyton Manning didn't wrap up the MVP Award with his four-touchdown, 397-yard performance against Kansas City on Sunday, but he did put it on the top shelf where Drew Brees and Russell Wilson can't reach it (I know. That was a lame height joke. Don't get mad at me though, I've only used two all height jokes year and I was due, I haven't used one since October).

Manning now has 45 touchdown passes on the season and he only needs five more to tie Tom Brady's NFL single-season record of 50. As Imentioned three weeks ago, tying or breaking the touchdown pass record is pretty much a free pass to the MVP Award. Since 1963 every quarterback that's tied or set the touchdown pass record has gone on to win the MVP

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24373042/nfl-mvp-projection-one-heisman-trophy-winner-on-the-list

Dan Graziano's MVP Watch - ESPN

1 Peyton Manning

CMP: 366
ATT: 539
PCT: 67.9
YDS: 4,522
TD: 45
INT: 9
 Peyton Manning
ANALYSIS

When a race is over with a month left in the season, the tendency is to force a fresh narrative that creates the appearance of drama where none exists. This is not a sports-specific phenomenon. There was a time in the fall of 2012 when we were expected to believe Mitt Romney was closing the gap in the Presidential race. Turns out, he wasn't. Likewise, it turns out that believing Manning can't win in cold weather is like believing Godzilla can't lay waste to a city just because it's cloudy. And saying Russell Wilson should be MVP is like saying "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" should have won the 1939 Academy Award for Best Picture. There's nothing wrong with "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." It deserves all kinds of praise and adulation, and to be watched whenever possible. But it is not "Gone with the Wind." Wilson's 2013 performance may well be "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." But Manning's is "Gone with the Wind."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/106065/dan-grazianos-mvp-watch-15

Whoever wrote that analysis is spot on. Just like last year Peyton had an MVP worthy season....one of his best ever and yet it was clear AP was going to win having that 2000yd season. Peyton's performance this year is clearly one of the best of any qb ever. Really if he could top it off with a SB is the only thing that could make it any better.

Yet Pats fans have a weird obsession with the fact that Manning is about to get his 5th MVP and possible break Brady's most important record. You're trying too hard to seem like you don't care.

lol, "Brady's most important record."  Maybe not. Brady measures himself in rings and post-season victories ....

To me, Peyton should be the MVP, no doubt. He has had an unbelievable season. As I've said many times before, I marvel at this guys ability , hard work , and preparation. He is also an all time good guy. The only thing that perplexes me is the 9-11 playoff record, and the inability to win the the cold. I just don't understand it.

If the Ravens didn't win it all again this year , I would be almost pulling for Peyton and Denver, but I can't stand that punk Elway . I don't like owner Bowlen either. Anyway, Peyton has had a historic season, and should easily get the MVP. As for who wins the Super Bowl, it is wide open. You could say Seattle is the favorite, but they can't win on the road.