Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Defense

#BringBobBack

just wondering how our forum members feels about the performance of our defensive players. even after these rough last few weeks, i see a lot of talented players on this defense.  Some who are doing very well ,and others that i have very high expectations for and who i feel need to step up my question is: of our defensive players who are 3 players you feel are succeding and playing very well and 3 players who you fel need to step up thier game

You can call them talented if you wish but I think Landry has been terrible in Coverage and as of late provides little run help. Davis has been awful since Denver, Angerer is meh. MAthis gets his 1 sack and than is double teamed so we never hear of him again and than there is 0 pressure. What i mean by this is that some other "pass rusher" needs to step the hell up. Every other corner is awful on our team as of now. Lastly where the heck is Toler? Our secondary looked biblical with him in it, but now? 

Since the bye week the defense has been a hot mess outside of the third quarter of the Titans game.  The offense struggling I can understand because of how beat up they are.  The defense doesn't really have that excuse and I don't by the tired argument either because they are getting man handled early in games before they have a chance to be tired.  Honesty they tend to play better as the game goes along especially when it gets into the second half.  I know Toler has been out and Walden missed last week but I don't think it's just because those two guys were out and frankly the defense has struggled with Walden in there.  I have noticed a few things.

1.  NBC highlighted the fact we never come out of man defense during the Broncos game and I think teams and have decided to attack the man defense knowing we wont come out of it.  I really think we should mix in a zone defense now and then just to keep other teams honest.

2.  Teams are no longer scared of Davis.  At the start of the season teams wouldn't throw his way at all now they are picking on him.  It could just be a simple bad stretch for him but he's been pretty bad since the bye week.

3.  The defense is still in transition.  We are still missing a big true 3/4 NT.  We get blown off the ball more times than not.  Guys like Angerer and Bethea look a step slow. 

4.  We have a defense of some very solid guys but very few play makers.  In fact you could argue Mathis is our only true play maker on defense who does it week in and week out.  This is showing up in the fact we just aren't making plays on defense.  We haven't had a pick since the Broncos game and really most of our fumbles in the games since then have been forced by the special teams unit. 

5.  Other than Mathis and Walden from time-to-time we have no pass rush at all.  I am really hoping Werner develops for the future but he looks completely out of place right now in our defense. 

The defense has been horrible getting off blocks, and pressing the qb; with the colts scheme they need to get pressure or the coverage won't hold up

We need to run that same defense we ran against Denver. Have a bunch of DB's activated & stay in our nickel & dime packages. That was our best defensive game aside from the San Francisco game

We are 28th in the league in yards given up per play at 5.8...To put that in perspective...In 2011...ya know the year without an offense our defense that year was still giving up 5.6 yards per play......We are only averaging 5 less yards per game given up this year(369.1) then we did last year(374.2)......Last year we had 12 picks and 4 forced fumble......This year to this point 8 picks and 10 forced fumbles . Pretty bad

We are 28th in the league in yards given up per play at 5.8...To put that in perspective...In 2011...ya know the year without an offense our defense that year was still giving up 5.6 yards per play......We are only averaging 5 less yards per game given up this year(369.1) then we did last year(374.2)......Last year we had 12 picks and 4 forced fumble......This year to this point 8 picks and 10 forced fumbles . Pretty bad

Cover-2 defense took away the big play and forced teams to drive.  Getting away from the cover-2 means we give up more big plays.  You can't look at numbers alone.  Not that our defense of the past few weeks has been good. 

Cover-2 defense took away the big play and forced teams to drive.  Getting away from the cover-2 means we give up more big plays.  You can't look at numbers alone.  Not that our defense of the past few weeks has been good.

Our missed tackles this year has been awful, Just like it was when we were employing the Cover 2 in the past, Ita like our guys are taught to dive at a speedsters feet

Lack of pass rush is what hurting the defense the most. Other then Mathis, no one else is consistent at rushing the passer. It's leaving the DB's to cover an extra 2 seconds. We should forget the base defense because we aren't getting any pass rush from the NT's.

Teams have beat us more through the air then through the ground. At some point the coaches will have to sit Angerer on passing downs and bring in a extra db because he's too slow to cover anyone in man coverage. Teams know that which is why there have been so  many crossing routes over the middle since the Denver game.

It's a copycat league the Chargers,Rams, and Cardinals coaches have out schemed  Manusky in the 3-4 defense. They know we play man coverage most of the game and the best way to beat it is crossing routes because you get a fast wr lined up on a lb. We have to play more cover 3 zone and switch it up a little that's the best way to stop crossing routes or pick plays.

Can't blame everything on defense I would say 70 percent in offense 30 on defense. Can't do much with 2 quarters worth of 3 and out! Need a new OC even when we win games still don't like the no coast offense!

Actually we are 18th in the league with 55 conversions made.....Below average...but were only 2 away from being in the top 10....That's with being 26th in the league in 3rd down attempts at 140 or 12.7 a game.....That's near the bottom of the league

Lack of pass rush is what hurting the defense the most. Other then Mathis, no one else is consistent at rushing the passer. It's leaving the DB's to cover an extra 2 seconds. We should forget the base defense because we aren't getting any pass rush from the NT's.

Teams have beat us more through the air then through the ground. At some point the coaches will have to sit Angerer on passing downs and bring in a extra db because he's too slow to cover anyone in man coverage. Teams know that which is why there have been so  many crossing routes over the middle since the Denver game.

It's a copycat league the Chargers,Rams, and Cardinals coaches have out schemed  Manusky in the 3-4 defense. They know we play man coverage most of the game and the best way to beat it is crossing routes because you get a fast wr lined up on a lb. We have to play more cover 3 zone and switch it up a little that's the best way to stop crossing routes or pick plays.

With cover 3 that would leave 1 Safety (probably Landry the way we call plays) deep.....we don't have the kind of safety talent to do that much at all, I'd play a little more Dime defense with 4 down lineman and 1 Linebacker

We play a very similar D to SF. Look how much better their LB's are than our....... that's what you need for this defense to dominate and we don't have it. Mathis is the rush LB and he always does his job, Free always does his job, Walden occasionally a factor, Pat has had 1 good game this year and when he's not good he's not average he's horrible. Don't get me started on the backups. I'm not usually in the let's give this guy a chance but in this case put me in the line for seeing what Studebaker and McNary can do.

our problem starts from the top, coaching they are trying to build a running eam with a run stopping team, when this is a passing league , pags need to get in peps ear and get him running more of a tempo offense, and pass the ball more and more effectively, i mean more screens , flats, chips etc... use the running back more in the pass game stop trying to play power running football and play winning football , power run game is good but we dont have the horses , we need to go back to 3 wide out set double te etc.... the full back comes in on short down that it some using a full back on 1st and 10, 3 wide side te spread the def out and trent will have more room to run and less men in the box the play calling is stale the oline stinks, the wr sck 

One of the worst in the league over the last month. The jags d is better at this point!

the problem is we have old guys who dont like to adjust to what is being done , the hit us with a cross route ,"they cant do it again" the hit the cross again "they cant do it again" is how there mentally is , the lv of adjustment i seen from pags to a guy like carroll , rex , belichick , i mean when denver was playing pats , pats got beat on a crossing route next time manning tried it , the corner started off like he was follwing the cross but dropped back to a cover drop to cover the zone lead manning to throw a pick etc... 

My take on the defense and team

1. Toler was being pretty much abused before he went out being injured so I'm not sure why everyone thinks when he comes back, we will shut down the other teams.

2. We haven't played good defense since the Denver game

3. Manusky just makes me scratch my head as to what he got brought in for and I can understand why he was terminated so many times as a DC

4. Pep is a young hot college coordinator and we took a swing at him. He should be given more rope to see what kinda follow up year he can bring but I will say, I'm extremely disappointed in his game plans so far and the majority of his adjustments.

4. Pagano is in the same boat as Pep IMO, he was a young hot prospect as a head coach an we went for that new blood. I agree with many others, I wasn't overly exited about him a the DC as the team wasn't dominating under him as the DC but he was elevated from the DB coach to their DC and of course they carried that history and Reed and Lewis. Made him more attractive based on the history more than his body of work as a DC. Pagano has the cancer history issue and he gets some wiggle room as well however, again, I'm not liking what he has displayed in decisions if player personnel and performance.

5.Luck has to play better for this team to move ahead. All these other spots can be upgraded but Luck is just not throwing sharp an his decision making is not what a championship team caliber QB requires. Good news is he is only a second year guy and his pedigree in in his favor.

Lots of work to better this team IMO

Idk, they have pretty much thrown right over Davis and avg players are just making these sick catches on him. We all know Vaughn has turned his head only once since playing on the team (how does Pagano, a DB coach who excelled let that continue?) and Toler was burned time and time again. Slant after slant after slant. Other teams have played with worse talent and speed than us an have done much better. That is my concern on the coaching front and have done worse than other teams with lesser talent. Idk.