Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 NFL Free Agent Signings and Draft Strategy

Get him into open space.  Like Dungy said, he's too big to hit small holes and our line isn't the best at blocking.  Is he to blame for his struggles?  Somewhat, but I think we fix the line we fix him.  He needs bigger which = better blockers.  Donald is smaller and faster so he can hit and squeeze through faster.

he would be better though on counters and stretch plays. like you said Dungy said he is to big to hit them small holes that is why Brown has such an advantage because he is a smaller back with a little more speed. BUT Pep is a rookie in the NFL and needs to realize this is not College anymore. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get him into open space.  Like Dungy said, he's too big to hit small holes and our line isn't the best at blocking.  Is he to blame for his struggles?  Somewhat, but I think we fix the line we fix him.  He needs bigger which = better blockers.  Donald is smaller and faster so he can hit and squeeze through faster.

nicely put i think of donald like that too he small to go in smaller holes but rich stretch and counters

It happens all the time bro, when we traded for VD, people ragged on him because he was coming along slow and "OMG A 2nd ROUND PICK!".  Now he's a beast.

VD was actually pretty good all season aside from the Bears game. People just couldn't get over the first impression.

• interior O-line should be top priority. I would like to see via free agency. We still have some very young guys who we drafted that are still developing.

• would also like to see a wide receiver via free agency, but will need to be more reliable than DHB and D.Avery. A young wide receiver via draft will also be nice.

i am somewhat content with our front 7 on D. I feel age is a factor on both ends… Young guys still developing who should grow, but on the other end of the age side we have some guys getting near the end of their peak, that we need to continue to plan for.

Vonte is key to re-sign and I still love AB who i think we should be able to keep at a fair price.

Adam V as long as he continues with his FG consistency we should be able to keep... again at a fair price. 

Our biggest issue on D is our ILBs. I certainly like Freeman, and love to see Angerer make plays... but frankly... they prolly ought to be backups. Everything starts to look better if we plug in a couple studs.

For my money, priorities are Center first, and a couple stud ILBs second and third. While I loved how Grigs went moneyball last offseason, I think these spots NEED bluechippers.

Our biggest issue on D is our ILBs. I certainly like Freeman, and love to see Angerer make plays... but frankly... they prolly ought to be backups. Everything starts to look better if we plug in a couple studs.

For my money, priorities are Center first, and a couple stud ILBs second and third. While I loved how Grigs went moneyball last offseason, I think these spots NEED bluechippers.

freeman is fine. Angerer needs to go

Guest TeamLoloJones

Freeman a backup?  You have got to be kidding.  You remember how our defense looked in San Diego when Freeman when down?  Is Freeman the best 3-4 ILB in the NFL? No. But a backup?  That's beyond ridiculous.

Thorton has yet to prove anything

Thomas suffered his second season ending injury in a small number of starts

Chapman and Montori haven't proven much

Rodgers playing well is a HUGE if

Reggie, Mathis, and Redding are all on the wrong side of 30, yet you think corner is the biggest need when Davis, Toler and Butler are all in their primes?

oline is really the biggest need, but after that it is corner , thorton like it or not is who we moving foward with and thomas injury he will be back before the start of next offseason , satele replacement is of major concern but we need a top flight corner , well ty is reggie replacement, werner is here for mathis, and montori is here for redding, and dont forget we have moala who could start opposite ricky , we need a corner and mlb and center if holmes is not the guy , then the yr after that we address wr if we have to ,  

Freeman a backup? You have got to be kidding. You remember how our defense looked in San Diego when Freeman when down? Is Freeman the best 3-4 ILB in the NFL? No. But a backup? That's beyond ridiculous.

Call it ridiculous all you want. This D is predicated on directing everything to the ILBs. Freeman is the best the Colts have, but that isn't the same as ideal for this D.

Call it ridiculous all you want. This D is predicated on directing everything to the ILBs. Freeman is the best the Colts have, but that isn't the same as ideal for this D.

I agree sort of. He's a good pass rusher, and decent run defender, but he struggles in coverage and doesn't shed blocks well a lot of the time. He's only an average all-around LB. 

He's not a guy who you go out of your way to replace, but he's not irreplaceable either, if that makes sense. 

Still like him though, but Angerer definitely needs to be replaced.

oline is really the biggest need, but after that it is corner , thorton like it or not is who we moving foward with and thomas injury he will be back before the start of next offseason , satele replacement is of major concern but we need a top flight corner , well ty is reggie replacement, werner is here for mathis, and montori is here for redding, and dont forget we have moala who could start opposite ricky , we need a corner and mlb and center if holmes is not the guy , then the yr after that we address wr if we have to ,  

Agree Oline is our biggest need... specifically C and G

But the rest is assuming way too much ....

Disagree that we automatically are moving forward with Thornton ... I know he is only a rookie and hopefully will improve, but his play thus far has been sub par.  Not getting another Guard in FA would be a big mistake.

TY has been good, but has not shown he can fill Reggie's shoes and regggie will be coming off an injury so he is a ? ... and even if TY steps up to the next level, we would still need another WR (Unless someone makes a huge jump before end of season).

Werner has in no way shown that he can replace Mathis(yet), we definitely need another OLB who can pass rush...this is a big assumption.

Montori has not shown he is ready to take over for Redding ... this is another big assumption

While you hope all those young guys can make the jump to replacement that you are suggesting ... it is very unlikely all will and if we go into next season making that many assumptions we will have problems ... assumptions like those are one of the reasons our O-Line looks like it does this year.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Calling Jerrell Freeman a backup level player is ridiculous.  He would be the best ILB on at least half the 3-4 teams in the NFL, and he would be at least the 2nd ILB on 90% of them.

I doubt we sign any of those free agents and Bethea probably won't be back next year, he's loss his quickness and just can't cover anymore. As far as the o-line next year i think it'll be Castonzo/Thomas/Mack/Thornton/Cherilus with Reitz, Link, and Holmes as backups. Pass rush won't be a need if Werner turns out to what he supposed to be and Mathis still has a couple 10 sack seasons in him.

FA

Alex Mack, C

Arthur Jones, DE

Corey Graham, CB

Draft

2. Yawin Smallwood, ILB, 6'3 244 lbs, Conneticut

3. Devante Parker, WR, 6'2 204 lbs, Louisville

5. Andre Hall, CB, 6'0 190 lbs, Vanderbilt

6. Nickoe Whitley, FS, 6'0 205 lbs, Mississippi State

Well via F.A. I think we are getting a passrusher and Interior-OL, i think we can get Orakpo for a good price(he is very good and could be cheap after an injury), and a C, and we could get and ILB and a CB(i'm thinking on Skov on 2nd). Certanly, we need to fill some others spots but if we get and Interio-OL, a pass rusher , a ILB  and a CB we could be one of the strongest teams on paper.

Calling Jerrell Freeman a backup level player is ridiculous.  He would be the best ILB on at least half the 3-4 teams in the NFL, and he would be at least the 2nd ILB on 90% of them.

I agree ... and who would you replace him with that gives you coverage without sacrificing what he brings to the table in run support and pass rushing?  Maybe Brandon Spikes if NE lets him walk, but he is not the greatest coverage LB either.

Its much easier to replace Angerer even though I would not mind seeing him kept as a back up.

Calling Jerrell Freeman a backup level player is ridiculous. He would be the best ILB on at least half the 3-4 teams in the NFL, and he would be at least the 2nd ILB on 90% of them.

Again, I disagree. I realize he is a fan favorite. But not as good as the average eyeball test suggests. Just because we see him making plays does not mean he is excelling at the job this D needs him to do.

People have their favorite scapegoats (like Walden), but the Colts D is designed around forcing RBs back to the middle. Almost every play that has gashed this D up the middle is on the ILBs. Allowing those plays then strains the back end of the D to press, compromising their coverage.

Everything is definitely better with Freeman this year than without, but he isn't ideal for this D, and there is definitely room for improvement. If we have the money to spend, I'm talking about ending up with our versions of Willis and Bowman. It would radically change the success of our D.

I doubt we sign any of those free agents and Bethea probably won't be back next year, he's loss his quickness and just can't cover anymore. As far as the o-line next year i think it'll be Castonzo/Thomas/Mack/Thornton/Cherilus with Reitz, Link, and Holmes as backups. Pass rush won't be a need if Werner turns out to what he supposed to be and Mathis still has a couple 10 sack seasons in him.

FA

Alex Mack, C

Arthur Jones, DE

Corey Graham, CB

Draft

2. Yawin Smallwood, ILB, 6'3 244 lbs, Conneticut

3. Devante Parker, WR, 6'2 204 lbs, Louisville

5. Andre Hall, CB, 6'0 190 lbs, Vanderbilt

6. Nickoe Whitley, FS, 6'0 205 lbs, Mississippi State

Why would you pencil in Thornton ... if not for Satele and McGlynn being complete garbage,Thornton's bad play would really stand out.

Again, I disagree. I realize he is a fan favorite. But not as good as the average eyeball test suggests. Just because we see him making plays does not mean he is excelling at the job this D needs him to do.

People have their favorite scapegoats (like Walden), but the Colts D is designed around forcing RBs back to the middle. Almost every play that has gashed this D up the middle is on the ILBs. Allowing those plays then strains the back end of the D to press, compromising their coverage.

Everything is definitely better with Freeman this year than without, but he isn't ideal for this D, and there is definitely room for improvement. If we have the money to spend, I'm talking about ending up with our versions of Willis and Bowman. It would radically change the success of our D.

Who? Who is available at ILB in FA that would play at that level?

Guest TeamLoloJones

Your logic is flawed.  You might as well say that we should go out and replace T.Y. with our own version of Calvin Johnson because that would be ideal.  And furthermore, if we made a list of the upgrades we need to make our team better, upgrading Jerrell Freeman would be one of the last on the list.

Your logic is flawed. You might as well say that we should go out and replace T.Y. with our own version of Calvin Johnson because that would be ideal.

If we are talking about where we need to improve on D, that is the single most important position that needs improvement. Bar none.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If we are talking about where we need to improve on D, that is the single most important position that needs improvement. Bar none.

If that's your opinion, then I'm afraid we aren't even close to being on the same wavelength to have constructive discussion.  No disrespect.  Have a good one my friend.

I am all for improving at all positions ... but there has to be someone better available (and affordable).  Yes, Freeman is a bit of a liability in pass coverage, but he is the best combined pass rush/run coverage ILB in the league which means not only is he getting pressure on QB, he is also stopping the run on his way there. We could get a FA that is better in coverage, but we would most likely be losing in run coverage and pass rush.

He's a rookie, with a full training camp and working with the starters he's only going to get better.

I hope so, and will be very happy is he does ... but I don't think you can just assume it that's one of the things that got us in the position we are in now.  I think you have to pick up a decent FA guard and if we don't need him because Thornton got significantly better than great.  But, I would rather have him and not need him, than be in the position we are in now.

At least he has the excuse of being a rookie.

Yep, I agree. I think he gets better, especially when we put a solid Center next to him. Has to learn to pick up Stunts, I think that's been his biggest problem, Athletically I believe he can do most of whats asked of him.

I hope so, and will be very happy is he does ... but I don't think you can just assume it that's one of the things that got us in the position we are in now. I think you have to pick up a decent FA guard and if we don't need him because Thornton got significantly better than great. But, I would rather have him and not need him, than be in the position we are in now.

If still sign a guard like Asamoah cause Thomas is coming back from injury and may not be as good for the long term

We don't need to upgrade Freeman he would be a great #2 ILB on every team except the 49ers,Jets, and Cards. We do need a #1 physical type ILB that can cover and stop the run and i  think that's what will draft in the 2nd round.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yep, I agree. I think he gets better, especially when we put a solid Center next to him. Has to learn to pick up Stunts, I think that's been his biggest problem, Athletically I believe he can do most of whats asked of him.

I also think he's a better natural fit on the right side.  I hope he moves there when Thomas comes back.

We don't need to upgrade Freeman he would be a great #2 ILB on every team except the 49ers,Jets, and Cards. We do need a #1 physical type ILB that can cover and stop the run and i  think that's what will draft in the 2nd round.

There are some decent ILBs in FA .. not Willis or Bowman ... but good ones who would be a upgrade over Angerer and would give us a solid set of ILBs on par with the Jets.