Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 NFL Free Agent Signings and Draft Strategy

There are some decent ILBs in FA .. not Willis or Bowman ... but good ones who would be a upgrade over Angerer and would give us a solid set of ILBs on par with the Jets.

There aren't really any good ILB's in FA that are good against the run and pass. Were better off drafting one early and ILB is one of the  positions that translates easily into the league and usually have an immediate impact.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he's a rookie.    One does not expect his play to stay at this level.    One would expect him to get better.   Frankly, a lot better.

And if he doesnt?  I agree he will get better, but what makes you "expect a lot better"?  I am sure a lot teams have drafted guards and expected that they would get better.. then they didn't.  I am sure Grigson expected Satele and McGlynn to be better this year too ... but they aren't. 

What's worth more? Saving $1 million, or an insurance policy to make sure we don't have a hole at guard? Again, I am not saying he won't get better, I would be be as happy as anyone if he became one of the top guards in the league ... but, I don't think we want to go "willy nilly" with assuming things about the O-Line ... lets be sure.

There aren't really any good ILB's in FA that are good against the run and pass. Were better off drafting one early and ILB is one of the  positions that translates easily into the league and usually have an immediate impact.

Thats because outside of like 5-10 (and 10 is stretching) they don't exist.  The top ILBs excel at either run or pass coverage and are "average" ...not good, but not a liability at the other.  There are a few ILBs in FA I would at least "kick the tires" on.

Thats because outside of like 5-10 (and 10 is stretching) they don't exist.  The top ILBs excel at either run or pass coverage and are "average" ...not good, but not a liability at the other.  There are a few ILBs in FA I would at least "kick the tires" on.

That's why it's better drafting one then signing another average ILB.

WR should be the least of the Colts concerns. I could name 5 more things that are more important.

OG

C

DL (Redding replacement)

ILB (Doubt Angerer and Conner both return)

DB (CB&S depth is important pending Davis and Bethea)

I think most would agree that O-Line is top concern ... the order of priority of WR, DL, ILB, OLB, DB can be debated depending on the outcome on many different variables we don't know the answer to yet.  For example TY doesn't make that last jump we are all expecting and Reggie's injury effects him, like Harrison's, and all of a sudden WR is looking pretty important.

That's why it's better drafting one then signing another average ILB.

I am not against drafting one if that is the best player at our pick, or we see something we like late ... but someone like Dansby might make a nice stop gap and is decent in coverage so a Dansby/Freeman combo might make a nice inside duo.

WR should be the least of the Colts concerns. I could name 5 more things that are more important.

OG

C

DL (Redding replacement)

You expecting Reggie to play into his 40's and Rodgers to excel?

I don't want to lose McAfee, Vontae, Be the a, and especially the most clutch kicker in the history of the NFL Vinatieri.

Alot of kickers can kick a good field goal but no one kicks better under pressure then Adam. He's responsible for winning 4 super bowls. It would be stupid to let him go.

Vinatieri and McAfee are the greatest to ever play their positions..

Jon Asamoah: Right Guard from Kansas City Chiefs

Randy starks DL miami

Brian Orakpo olb washington

Alterraun Verner cb steal him from the titans free agency our own

sign vontae and pat ,and vinnie two years .let bethea walk

draft radar

guys on draft radar

ed reynolds s stanford,shayne skov ilb stanford , trent murphy de/olb stanford,borland ilb ,devante parker ,richardson guard baylor ,purifoy

Agree Oline is our biggest need... specifically C and G

But the rest is assuming way too much ....

Disagree that we automatically are moving forward with Thornton ... I know he is only a rookie and hopefully will improve, but his play thus far has been sub par.  Not getting another Guard in FA would be a big mistake.

TY has been good, but has not shown he can fill Reggie's shoes and regggie will be coming off an injury so he is a ? ... and even if TY steps up to the next level, we would still need another WR (Unless someone makes a huge jump before end of season).

Werner has in no way shown that he can replace Mathis(yet), we definitely need another OLB who can pass rush...this is a big assumption.

Montori has not shown he is ready to take over for Redding ... this is another big assumption

While you hope all those young guys can make the jump to replacement that you are suggesting ... it is very unlikely all will and if we go into next season making that many assumptions we will have problems ... assumptions like those are one of the reasons our O-Line looks like it does this year.

the guys above are under contract for a few more yrs so the other guys have a chance to develop , reggie will be a slot wr for us with his age and his decline speed even more  slower , but i has saw some good things out of thorton making blocks in open feild pancaking , killing some def players on screens i like his aggression, but asking him to block watt and company as a rookie is alot its the the physical thing for him it the mental like he is getting beat on blitz and stunts etc...u need time to pick that all up  

I agree with the re-signings and that we should pick up a FA C or G... At least that will give the rookies a chance to develop...  even with Thomas returning, there is still a huge hole or 2 in that unit...

No need to sign a FA WR... We need a future #1, but I think that we can address WR, ILB, and/or DT in the draft...  We need more pass rush from the OLB spot, but i think that Werner will be improved next year and adding to the DT/NT talent pool will help out our pass rush as well... Redding is the emotional leader of the defense, but he won't play forever...

Also, I think we should do a price check on Donald Brown and keep him if he's cheap enough... RBs are not highly valued in the league and his career hasn't been great, but I think he's always been a little underrated, except for his first year where he came into the league a bit overrated...

The reason I would want Asamoah with Mack is so if Thomas don't come back strong or when he gets older we can replace him with Thornton and Asamoah can start next year with Thomas allowing Thornton time to develop

and injuries pile up along the O-Line... you just can't have too many serviceable guys...

This would be an outstanding draft...

Round 3 Pick 5 (T.B.): Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida (A)

Round 3 Pick 28: DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State (A)

Round 4 Pick 8 (PITT): Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU (A)

Round 5 Pick 5 (T.B.): Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)

Round 5 Pick 8 (PITT): Mike Davis, WR, Texas (B+)

Round 5 Pick 28: Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue (A)

Round 6 Pick 28: Marquis Flowers, OLB, Arizona (A-)

Round 7 Pick 10: Austin Wentworth, OT, Fresno State (A)

In free agency we add to our OL by adding C Alex Mack, and OG Jon Asomoah. We also sign DE Antonio Smith from Houston to give our DL more pass rush.

something like this will do... I'd change some names in the draft... maybe draft an ILB instead of 3 wrs, but the FA period is right on the money... if only all three guys make it out of their respective cities...

2014 Colts free agents:

Pat Angerer

Antoine Bethea

Ahmad Bradshaw

Donald Brown

Sergio Brown

Kavell Connor

Vontae Davis

Aubrayo Franklin

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Jeff Linkenbach

Mike McGlynn

Fili Moala

Pat McAfee

Lawrence Sidbury

Cassius Vaughn

Adam Vinatieri

The ones in bold are the ones I'd like to re-sign. Although I don't see Donald getting re-signed to be a #3 back (behind Ballard/Richardson), he'll probably getting more money elsewhere.

2014 Colts free agents:

Pat Angerer

Antoine Bethea

Ahmad Bradshaw

Donald Brown

Sergio Brown

Kavell Connor

Vontae Davis

Aubrayo Franklin

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Jeff Linkenbach

Mike McGlynn

Fili Moala

Pat McAfee

Lawrence Sidbury

Cassius Vaughn

Adam Vinatieri

The ones in bold are the ones I'd like to re-sign. Although I don't see Donald getting re-signed to be a #3 back (behind Ballard/Richardson), he'll probably getting more money elsewhere.

these are the same guys I'd like to see re-signed... although I don't necessarily see DB as a #3 back behind Ballard and Richardson. He has outperformed Richardson this season and Ballard has only one so-so year under his belt...  Brown offers speed and burst that neither of the other backs have, so I would assume that, if we re-sign him, he will get more carries than one of them by default. Of course, Richardson could break out and Ballard has looked good when healthy, but there is no clear cut world beater in that group... 3 possible #1 caliber guys, but question marks for all 3... I like them as a group, but I would be shaky about giving any one of them 20 carries a game and expecting elite production...

2014 Colts free agents:

Pat Angerer

Antoine Bethea

Ahmad Bradshaw

Donald Brown

Sergio Brown

Kavell Connor

Vontae Davis

Aubrayo Franklin

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Jeff Linkenbach

Mike McGlynn

Fili Moala

Pat McAfee

Lawrence Sidbury

Cassius Vaughn

Adam Vinatieri

Franklin needs to be resigned also!  Dude has been putting it down for us.  And we all know how hard it is to find a NT.

2014 Colts free agents:

Pat Angerer

Antoine Bethea

Ahmad Bradshaw

Donald Brown

Sergio Brown

Kavell Connor

Vontae Davis

Aubrayo Franklin

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Jeff Linkenbach

Mike McGlynn

Fili Moala

Pat McAfee

Lawrence Sidbury

Cassius Vaughn

Adam Vinatieri

Would let Angerer walk. Resign Link, Fili and Sergio. Would consider bringing Bradshaw back on cheap incentive laden deal if The Donald leaves.

About $40 Million before re-signing anyone.  (If we have any rollover it will be minimal)

Subtract $10 Million for draft picks, dead money, and a cushion to go into the season with.

And subtract about $15-$20 Million  to re-sign our own guys. (If we re-sign pretty much everyone, which we won't, but I want to underestimate how much we will have)

That should leave us with about $10-$15 at least to go shopping with.

If that's true then I say spend whatever's left on a guard.assuming we can't find one in the draft.

Franklin needs to be resigned also!  Dude has been putting it down for us.  And we all know how hard it is to find a NT.

He has been pretty inconsistent really, Hasn't held up to double teams well. I think he is on the decline. I actually thought Antonio Johnson did a pretty decent job for us as 0 Technique NT but struggled at the 1 Technique...which seems to be what our NT's are expected to play a lot of, I think rotating Chapman and Mookie would have been better, If ya watch closely you see Franklin on the ground a fair amount of times

I don't understand how people don't consider pass rusher as a bigger need. We have one consistent pass rusher right now. And even if Werner does make a big step next year, that still is not enough on a 53-man roster.

I think we have a big need for a situational pass rusher.

Team Needs: WR, ILB, C, G, CB, Back up S

Round 2 Pick 28: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State (A)
Round 3 Pick 30 (K.C.): Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford (A)
Round 5 Pick 28: Boseko Lokombo, OLB, Oregon (A)
Round 6 Pick 13 (STL): Bryan Stork, C, Florida State (A)
Round 6 Pick 28: Bennett Jackson, CB, Notre Dame (A)
Round 7 Pick 10: Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon (B-)
Round 7 Pick 13 (STL): Sean Parker, SS, Washington (F)

Resign:  Bethea, Davis, McAfee,Vinateri, Brown ( Cheap) or Bradshaw ( cheap)

Sign: Alex Mack, Arthur Jones, Sam Shields, Alameda Ta'amu 

IMO, your free agents choices don't make any sense to me for one, No to Edelman for the fact we will try to get one more than likely in the draft, or after it which will be the only shot he will have to getting to are team and i just don't see it happening, I believe are DT's are doing just fine so why try to throw more money ino a position that we don't need to fix right now?.....we got bigger problems.......Signing the guard from Kansas i can agree with because lets face it are O-line has some holes and by that i mean a huge hole, wish we would sign a 3rd round draft pick on a center this draft but it not going to happen with Satele getting a big pay check next year so might have to wait til next year. And why would we want Spencer we got Werner who got hurt and still needs to find out if hes any good, and Walden granted the the best LB but he does do his job in setting the edge, or at least i think so. granted he does make mistakes, but who doesn't.

Team Needs: WR, ILB, C, G, CB, Back up S

Round 2 Pick 28: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State (A)

Round 3 Pick 30 (K.C.): Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford (A)

Round 5 Pick 28: Boseko Lokombo, OLB, Oregon (A)

Round 6 Pick 13 (STL): Bryan Stork, C, Florida State (A)

Round 6 Pick 28: Bennett Jackson, CB, Notre Dame (A)

Round 7 Pick 10: Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon (B-)

Round 7 Pick 13 (STL): Sean Parker, SS, Washington (F)

Resign:  Bethea, Davis, McAfee,Vinateri, Brown ( Cheap) or Bradshaw ( cheap)

Sign: Alex Mack, Arthur Jones, Sam Shields, Alameda Ta'amu 

i can say i like yur draft picks but i just dont see getting Skov or Robinson, not saying we cant, but i like your thinking for one we need a #1 WR after Reggie Wayne leaves and it would be great to have him mentored for at lease a year under him befoire he leaves, but i hope we can get a steal at G, or C at the 3rd round but i doubt it since we seem to draft O-Linemen late in the draft

i can say i like yur draft picks but i just dont see getting Skov or Robinson, not saying we cant, but i like your thinking for one we need a #1 WR after Reggie Wayne leaves and it would be great to have him mentored for at lease a year under him befoire he leaves, but i hope we can get a steal at G, or C at the 3rd round but i doubt it since we seem to draft O-Linemen late in the draft

and if Brown keeps up we probably wont be able to afford him, or just simply asked to much and we will land on another team, which sucks but bradshaw we should be able to get, if he decides not to retire

OG

C

DL (Redding replacement)

Your Forgetting that Reggie Wayne is close to ending his contract and We need a #1 WR to Fill that postition( noticed i said fill and not replace cuz lets face it til we can awesome WR like him there is no replacing him) so WR is a big need for us not for next season but after that cuz he will probably retire and i would like him to get mentored by reggie before he does

2014 Colts free agents:

Pat Angerer

Antoine Bethea

Ahmad Bradshaw

Donald Brown

Sergio Brown

Kavell Connor

Vontae Davis

Aubrayo Franklin

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Jeff Linkenbach

Mike McGlynn

Fili Moala

Pat McAfee

Lawrence Sidbury

Cassius Vaughn

Adam Vinatieri

hmm, your probably right Brown might go elsewhere but we can sign Bradshaw for cheap, and he was effective til he got hurt.  Linkenbach i like cuz he can play different positions okay, so he a good subistute.  the rest of your opinion are the same as mine lol.

I don't understand how people don't consider pass rusher as a bigger need. We have one consistent pass rusher right now. And even if Werner does make a big step next year, that still is not enough on a 53-man roster.

I think we have a big need for a situational pass rusher.

No doubt about it

We need offensive line, a WR to complement Wayne and Hilton, and people who can rush the passer an tackle on defense. This statement is pretty obvious but Gosh man watching us play is painful. I am truly excited for march when Free agency starts. I feel so bad for Luck. He tries his best and no one helps him out besides T.Y. the defense is great when healthy but we need some help. I love this team very dearly and wish nothing but the best for this team and will forever and ever believe in this team. Stay Coltstrong

And if he doesnt?  I agree he will get better, but what makes you "expect a lot better"?  I am sure a lot teams have drafted guards and expected that they would get better.. then they didn't.  I am sure Grigson expected Satele and McGlynn to be better this year too ... but they aren't. 

What's worth more? Saving $1 million, or an insurance policy to make sure we don't have a hole at guard? Again, I am not saying he won't get better, I would be be as happy as anyone if he became one of the top guards in the league ... but, I don't think we want to go "willy nilly" with assuming things about the O-Line ... lets be sure.

You can't fun a franchise constantly doubling up and drafting a position of need after a rookie doesn't live up to expectations after his first year.    You'll never get anywhere.  

A team has too many needs.

We drafted Thornton in the top 100.   One expects he'll get better.    All of our rookie class is under-performing for one reason or another....

Rookies aren't a bust because they don't show much in their rookie year.   Most rookies don't show that much.....    they need time...

-- Should we draft another OLB because Werner hasn't done much?

-- Should we draft another OG because Thornton hasn't done much?

-- Should we draft another C because Holmes hasn't done much?

-- Should we draft another DL because Hughes hasn't done much?

At some point, you've got to give these kids time to show what they can do before you think they'll never live up to the hype.