Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 NFL Free Agent Signings and Draft Strategy

You can't fun a franchise constantly doubling up and drafting a position of need after a rookie doesn't live up to expectations after his first year.    You'll never get anywhere.  

A team has too many needs.

We drafted Thornton in the top 100.   One expects he'll get better.    All of our rookie class is under-performing for one reason or another....

Rookies aren't a bust because they don't show much in their rookie year.   Most rookies don't show that much.....    they need time...

-- Should we draft another OLB because Werner hasn't done much?

-- Should we draft another OG because Thornton hasn't done much?

-- Should we draft another C because Holmes hasn't done much?

-- Should we draft another DL because Hughes hasn't done much?

At some point, you've got to give these kids time to show what they can do before you think they'll never live up to the hype.

As far as the first part goes I was not advocating drafting the insurance policy, I was suggesting we pick a OG up in FA on like a 1 year deal (there were and will be several decent OGs that will make good one year players) just in case Thornton doesn't get better; and if Thornton does become worthy of starting than the FA still makes a good back up in case of another Donald Thomas type OL injury...and with our luck when it comes to injuries something like that happening is not that hard to imagine.

As far as the second bolded/underlined section goes about who we should draft ... it all depends on who is there when we draft, but I would not take any of the positions you listed off the board.  The only positions I would take off the board (unless something crazy happened) would be QB, TE, & Kicker.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the first part goes I was not advocating drafting the insurance policy, I was suggesting we pick a OG up in FA on like a 1 year deal (there were and will be several decent OGs that will make good one year players) just in case Thornton doesn't get better; and if Thornton does become worthy of starting than the FA still makes a good back up in case of another Donald Thomas type OL injury...and with our luck when it comes to injuries something like that happening is not that hard to imagine.

As far as the second bolded/underlined section goes about who we should draft ... it all depends on who is there when we draft, but I would not take any of the positions you listed off the board.  The only positions I would take off the board (unless something crazy happened) would be QB, TE, & Kicker.

Fair enough.....   good post....

And for what it's worth, I think I'm somewhat in agreement with you.

I think we should try to sign center if possible.   Someone who can hold up and do an above average job.   I hope Thomas and Thornton can do the job at guard.    But the line has to be improved with a quality veteran, not a rookie who may or may not be able to do the job.

Holmes can be a back-up (hopefully a quality backup) until he shows otherwise...   but for the 2nd year in a row,  the OL needs serious fixing!

He has been pretty inconsistent really, Hasn't held up to double teams well. I think he is on the decline. I actually thought Antonio Johnson did a pretty decent job for us as 0 Technique NT but struggled at the 1 Technique...which seems to be what our NT's are expected to play a lot of, I think rotating Chapman and Mookie would have been better, If ya watch closely you see Franklin on the ground a fair amount of times

Hmmm, must admit I don't watch him every play.  I'll just look every now and then.  I guess I've been fortunate to see the plays he's not on the ground lol.  I'll have to watch some film now.  

• 2 weeks later...

1. I really think we should resign 41 he should finish as a COLT

2. I think we should resign 32 and let 23 go because I think Davis is asking for toooooo much money other wise he would have sign a deal by now.

3. With us signing Vaughn we could save money to go after others in the market.

4. Luck will be coming up on a deal soon and we need the WR around him in order for him to stay...

#Just My Thoughts

1. I really think we should resign 41 he should finish as a COLT

2. I think we should resign 32 and let 23 go because I think Davis is asking for toooooo much money other wise he would have sign a deal by now.

3. With us signing Vaughn we could save money to go after others in the market.

4. Luck will be coming up on a deal soon and we need the WR around him in order for him to stay...

#Just My Thoughts

1. Depends on what he will sign for ... he has not played well this season, if he doesn't want to sign a cheap contract he can retire somewhere else.

2. I have no problem resigning Vaughn at right price, but we definitely need to resign Davis unless his demands are just unreasonable .... as far "asking for tooooo much money" I am not aware of him even commenting on how much he expects.  Just because he has not signed a new contract doesn't mean anything.

3. I don't think what we do with vaughn will have a significant effect on what we do at CB.

4. I am sure we have WR on our list of needs, but next year we should have Wayne back along with Allen, and Fleener is improving so our receiver situation will be much improved.

I really think Davis is asking for more then 10 or if not 10 and I really don't see him as that type of DB. That's why I said pay Cassius plus you still have to pay Bulter and Antoine. So is no way I would go all out on one person rather then pay 3 guys. I could understand if Davis was a lot down DB but he's not. We need more WR you she what happening right now we need more then just Reggie his days are number, why risk gong though this problem next year.

I really think Davis is asking for more then 10 or if not 10 and I really don't see him as that type of DB. That's why I said pay Cassius plus you still have to pay Bulter and Antoine. So its no way I would go all out on one person rather then pay 3 guys. I could understand if Davis was a lock down DB but he's not. We need more WR you see whats happening right now we need more then just Reggie, his days are number, why risk gong though this problem next year.

#sorry about the typo

I really think Davis is asking for more then 10 or if not 10 and I really don't see him as that type of DB. That's why I said pay Cassius plus you still have to pay Bulter and Antoine. So is no way I would go all out on one person rather then pay 3 guys. I could understand if Davis was a lot down DB but he's not. We need more WR you she what happening right now we need more then just Reggie his days are number, why risk gong though this problem next year.

Why do you think Davis is asking for 10m? It's not unusual for teams and their impending free agents not to negotiate during the season.

I really think Davis is asking for more then 10 or if not 10 and I really don't see him as that type of DB. That's why I said pay Cassius plus you still have to pay Bulter and Antoine. So its no way I would go all out on one person rather then pay 3 guys. I could understand if Davis was a lock down DB but he's not. We need more WR you see whats happening right now we need more then just Reggie, his days are number, why risk gong though this problem next year.

#sorry about the typo

$10MM?! That's Revis money. He wont get anywhere near that.

Cuz he got a 5 yr(s) / $10,250,000 from MIA and SIGNING BONUS of $500,000 AVERAGE SALARY $2,050,000. GUARANTEED:$7,345,000 he don't want less he wants more. duh, if he takes less then what MIA give him he would be the first in this era...

Cuz he got a 5 yr(s) / $10,250,000 from MIA and SIGNING BONUS of $500,000 AVERAGE SALARY $2,050,000. GUARANTEED:$7,345,000 he don't want less he wants more. duh, if he takes less then what MIA give him he would be the first in this era...

??? You lost me ...  I am confused ... what does his rookie contract have to do with anything??? .... what kind of contract do you believe he is asking for and think he is worth?  years = ? / Total $ = ? 

Posted · Hidden by Superman, December 8, 2013 - inappropriate
Hidden by Superman, December 8, 2013 - inappropriate

Do sniff glue?

#sorry about the typo

No one has any idea what Davis is asking for. There have been zero media reports about it, and neither the Colts nor Davis' camp have said anything about it. You're pulling that number out of the air (or some other, less pleasant place). 

You're right, he definitely wants more than $2m/year.

:: sighs prayerfully ::

What he got from his last contract has a lot to do with his next one. He sign a tender only because they couldn't see eye to eye last off season. Other wise he would have sign. I would love for him to come back we paying Gregg 3 for 15 so that's 5 million a year plus. So how much do you think Davis will get? And do you think we will be able to resign Antoine?

What he got from his last contract has a lot to do with his next one. He sign a tender only because they couldn't see eye to eye last off season. Other wise he would have sign. I would love for him to come back we paying Gregg 3 for 15 so that's 5 million a year plus. So how much do you think Davis will get? And do you think we will be able to resign Antoine?

The problem is that you're terribly mistaken about the details of Davis' current contract, and you're assuming/imagining what his next contract will be based off of several flawed premises.

1) Davis didn't sign a tender last year. His rookie contract expires this season, and he'll be an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

2) You seem to think that his previous contract was $10m/year, and it was not. It was $10m total, over five years. Again, there has been no tender, tag, or other form of restricted free agency with Vontae Davis.

3) It's possible you're confusing Vontae Davis with Cassius Vaughn. Vaughn did sign a tender offer from the Colts this season, for $1.3m.

I hope that helps you understand what we're talking about a little bit better.

To answer your questions, I think Davis should get around $8m/year, no more. Some are saying $10m/year like you are, but I think that's too much for him. He doesn't play like a $10m/year corner, not consistently. As for Bethea, I don't think we should re-sign him. His play this season has been pretty bad. If he doesn't improve over the next month, then it's time for us to find the next guy.

The problem is that you're terribly mistaken about the details of Davis' current contract, and you're assuming/imagining what his next contract will be based off of several flawed premises.

1) Davis didn't sign a tender last year. His rookie contract expires this season, and he'll be an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

2) You seem to think that his previous contract was $10m/year, and it was not. It was $10m total, over five years. Again, there has been no tender, tag, or other form of restricted free agency with Vontae Davis.

3) It's possible you're confusing Vontae Davis with Cassius Vaughn. Vaughn did sign a tender offer from the Colts this season, for $1.3m.

I hope that helps you understand what we're talking about a little bit better.

To answer your questions, I think Davis should get around $8m/year, no more. Some are saying $10m/year like you are, but I think that's too much for him. He doesn't play like a $10m/year corner, not consistently. As for Bethea, I don't think we should re-sign him. His play this season has been pretty bad. If he doesn't improve over the next month, then it's time for us to find the next guy.

Ugg 8 million per year is quite a bit of money IMO.  I think he's a bit overrated personally.  He has great games but then follows it up with dud performances.  

I'm thinking more like 6 million a year and I think that's being fairly generous.  

I'm welcome to counter arguments as to why he's worth more, but I've seen his name called for giving up a lot of long TD passes this year.  

Ugg 8 million per year is quite a bit of money IMO.  I think he's a bit overrated personally.  He has great games but then follows it up with dud performances.  

I'm thinking more like 6 million a year and I think that's being fairly generous.  

I'm welcome to counter arguments as to why he's worth more, but I've seen his name called for giving up a lot of long TD passes this year.  

I mostly agree. But at his age, with his potential, and considering he had the game of his career in the biggest game of the season, on NBC, I think he'll have suitors. If I were paying him based on his overall performance, I'd say $5-6m/year, for three years. But I think he'll get offered more than that.

Re-Sign: Davis, Bethea, McAfee, Vinatieri(if need be tag one)

Sign: WR(Maclin, Edelman, Decker), OL, CB (Talib)

Draft: 2nd Round: Justin Gilbert CB, Oklahoma State or next best CB or Kelvin Benjamin

3rd Round: Kelvin Benjamin WR, Florida State or Jarvis Landry WR, LSU

4th Round: Jimmie Ward DB, Northern Illinois

5th Round: Carey Price CB, Washington or Max Bullough LB, Michigan State

6th Round: John Urschel OL, Penn State

I mostly agree. But at his age, with his potential, and considering he had the game of his career in the biggest game of the season, on NBC, I think he'll have suitors. If I were paying him based on his overall performance, I'd say $5-6m/year, for three years. But I think he'll get offered more than that.

Should we consider letting him walk and signing someone else who's a little more consistent? 

Cause honestly I'm not fond of the idea of paying out 8 million to a guy who's name has been called out for long TD plays about as often as Cassius Vaughn.  

Re-Sign: Davis, Bethea, McAfee, Vinatieri(if need be tag one)

Sign: WR(Maclin, Edelman, Decker), OL, CB (Talib)

Draft: 2nd Round: Justin Gilbert CB, Oklahoma State or next best CB or Kelvin Benjamin

3rd Round: Kelvin Benjamin WR, Florida State or Jarvis Landry WR, LSU

4th Round: Jimmie Ward DB, Northern Illinois

5th Round: Carey Price CB, Washington or Max Bullough LB, Michigan State

6th Round: John Urschel OL, Penn State

Question, why are we re-signing Davis, signing a CB (Talib), and then drafting a CB in the 2nd round?