Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where did Luck get the spike?

Indra

I love that Luck gets very animated and spikes the ball after a rushing touchdown, but where did it come from?  I watched very little of him in college (a shame, since I lived in Palo Alto at the time,) but I don't recall him doing that in college, only in the pros.  Would love to see Pat McAfee ask him that on a facebook friday sometime.

Spikes-R-Us had a buy one, get one free deal on their "Disruptor 5000X" product line of spikes.

See, Luck is a smart guy. He uses his EXTENSIVE VOCABULARY at the line of scrimmage, he CAPITALIZES on opponents mistakes, and when he scores, he likes to properly PUNCTUATE the event.

That's 2 jokes for the price of one, I'll be here all week folks.

That is an awesome spike.  I hope the ball doesn't bounce right back up break a finger on his throwing hand.

I know you're joking but after watching him do it last time I thought something similar. Except the way the ball bounced it looked like it came up between his legs. Ouch.

Spikes-R-Us had a buy one, get one free deal on their "Disruptor 5000X" product line of spikes.

See, Luck is a smart guy. He uses his EXTENSIVE VOCABULARY at the line of scrimmage, he CAPITALIZES on opponents mistakes, and when he scores, he likes to properly PUNCTUATE the event.

That's 2 jokes for the price of one, I'll be here all week folks.

You should be on the stage. It leaves in  5 minutes....

Who needs a fancy dance like the Icky shuffle when you can spike it with authority? I like that he does it without a second thought... when some guys like to keep balls, or hand it back to the ref. I hope the NFL has a ton because they probably all end up in the crowd somewhere.

I talked to someone who was in the tunnel after the 49ers win

Said they were really surprised by how 'Enthusiastic' Andrew was when leaving the field

I think his calm and friendly demeanor is not all there is to the man

Its pretty well documented through psychological experiments that the only people more competitively driven than athletes are ivy league students. Andrew Luck is both.

Who needs a fancy dance like the Icky shuffle when you can spike it with authority? I like that he does it without a second thought... when some guys like to keep balls, or hand it back to the ref. I hope the NFL has a ton because they probably all end up in the crowd somewhere.

...and it fits Luck's persona. He's got that blue collar swag. The images that stick in my head were those of Luck and Griffin's pro-day. 

Griffin looked like an Under Armor fashion model, decked out in coordinating gears and snazzy sayings on his T-shirt. 

Luck....dude looked like he got up in the morning and just grabbed whatever gym gear was laying on the floor. 

Its pretty well documented through psychological experiments that the only people more competitively driven than athletes are ivy league students. Andrew Luck is both.

I heard he as at the fitz and the tantrums concert last night

And was onstage playing a giant cowbell at the mgmt concert the night before

Likes live music I think

I heard he as at the fitz and the tantrums concert last night

And was onstage playing a giant cowbell at the mgmt concert the night before

Likes live music I think

Andrew Luck should keep his day job from what little video I saw, but he certainly needs more cowbell. Bring it to games to use every time he scores a touchdown. After the spike.

Pretty sure spiking the ball has been around for a long time

I know spiking has been around forever, but I'm just wondering why he chose the spike. It's the only touchdown celebration I've seen him do, so either he really likes the spike, or he just can't be bothered to try another celebration out.

I know spiking has been around forever, but I'm just wondering why he chose the spike. It's the only touchdown celebration I've seen him do, so either he really likes the spike, or he just can't be bothered to try another celebration out.

every other celebration is stupid and tacky

I like the spike. It suits him better than the "discount double-check." Plus, any other celebration usually involves a dance. I have a feeling he's far too nerdtastic to have any rhythm.

He doesn't really have a name he can play off of, like Hynoski. There's too many "Luck" puns as it is.

Unless he maybe uses one of Fleener's. The pile driver? Jazz hands, anyone?

Now that I think about, I don't think there's very many QBs that have a signature TD dance or move...

The best spike he had was in San Fran.  It got so quiet in there and his spike was so loud and hard it echoed through the stadium and no joke went at least 30 feet in the air.  They really missed it on the broadcast.  It was pretty amazing in person.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Not to nitpick, but Stanford isn't an Ivy League school

Guest TeamLoloJones

The best spike he had was in San Fran.  It got so quiet in there and his spike was so loud and hard it echoed through the stadium and no joke went at least 30 feet in the air.  They really missed it on the broadcast.  It was pretty amazing in person.

Luck really just wants the caveman comparison to stay with him forever.  LUCK SMASH FOOTBALL!!!  NOW WHERE MY WOMAN!!!

Guest TeamLoloJones

Oh, dear. This is a family forum...

Sorry didn't mean to get you worked up.  But every time Luck does his TD spike I see the kid in him come out.  It makes me smile like a proud papa every time.  haha...this just got weird.

Sorry didn't mean to get you worked up. But every time Luck does his TD spike I see the kid in him come out. It makes me smile like a proud papa every time. haha...this just got weird.

Lol. I know what you mean. It's like he became a huge kid. It's fun to see. No weird "im teh awesum" dance, just a spike. I won't say it makes me a proud papa, though. That'd be more weird. :P

I love that Luck gets very animated and spikes the ball after a rushing touchdown, but where did it come from?  I watched very little of him in college (a shame, since I lived in Palo Alto at the time,) but I don't recall him doing that in college, only in the pros.  Would love to see Pat McAfee ask him that on a facebook friday sometime.

Techmo Bowl! 

BoTecmo.gif