Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent is "running to darkness"

azcolt

So says Marshall Faulk on NFL Network today. "The holes are there," says Marshall. Of course the Trent apologists won't believe Marshall. What does he know about running the football? He reiterated what others have said here that Trent got spoiled having huge holes at Alabama and doesn't know how to find the small holes typical of the NFL.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So says Marshall Faulk on NFL Network today. "The holes are there," says Marshall. Of course the Trent apologists won't believe Marshall. What does he know about running the football? He reiterated what others have said here that Trent got spoiled having huge holes at Alabama and doesn't know how to find the small holes typical of the NFL.

No doubt Marshall knows what he's talking about when it comes to running. But I really doubt he's been watching tape of all of Trent's runs. Not trying to be a TRich apologist, but no RB is finding holes in 99% of those runs where he got stuffed.

So Faulk can see holes to run through?

But everyone on this forum, most of who watch all the games, cannot?

Give me game film and I'll find a gazillion holes to run in.

Put me behind that line in real-time and it's a lot tougher.  Not to say that it's something that the GOOD RB's

aren't good at doing, but to say armchair-me can do better or to say T-Rich is bad at it is just an opinion.

No matter how you look at it we require a better line for him to run behind and to protect A-Luck.

What I don't understand in the scheme of trying to be creative with Trent, what pep said, why do we not run him from the spread? We run him in a bunched up line with mostly 2TE's and/or the FB. He has no room where as we run the spread with Donald and he runs wild through gaps. Trent can catch and run so pep has to get more open with his play calls and formations to get Trent from just running into a pile of people hoping he pops out of the pile. I honestly don't think pep is going to be able to figure out how to use a back in a system unlike his old Stanford olines. He has to be able to adjust to the NFL defenses and a subpar Oline.

First of all, all of us "apologists" who are making "excuses" are basically not ready to quite throw him under the bus as some of you "haters" are. We actually want to see him improve and succeed for the betterment of our team. I see a few guys who just flat out want him to fail just so they can say "told you so". If that's the case we ALL lose as Comts fans. Don't really know how else to say it.

Give me game film and I'll find a gazillion holes to run in.

Put me behind that line in real-time and it's a lot tougher.  Not to say that it's something that the GOOD RB's

aren't good at doing, but to say armchair-me can do better or to say T-Rich is bad at it is just an opinion.

No matter how you look at it we require a better line for him to run behind and to protect A-Luck.

I think there is no doubt in Faulks prime he would have little trouble running behind our O Line really, There have been more holes and creases then some will admit, I've been watching ALL 22, It gives much better angles then the side view given by regular telecasts

Marshall is a very good analyst so he is to be listened to.
It is on tape that Trent isn`t breaking to some holes that are there. In season trade is part of it.

But ALL TEAMS run the ball about 50% of the time between the Guards.

Right now, Trent is DEAD MEAT in there. I KNOW why.

You have to run some up the gut to keep D`s honest, but I have NO DOUBT Pep is looking for ways to succeed elsewhere.

The #1 way to improve our Offense is for Andrew to find his open receivers. it is a problem.

I think our guys are improving at a nice rate (NO Hope up the middle) and wanted to give them 3 games without Reg before getting jiggy about anything. We have every reason to be pleased about the Build this early in the run.

Wins at SF, Houston, wins over Seattle & Denver. 6-2 lmao! Amazing and rising! Wonderful stuff!

I have to agree there have been many occasions where Trent didnt see a hole.  I think his vision needs to improve, however I have noticed that he is improving and seems to be getting more runs over 3 yds than at first.  I hope that he lives up to his potential because he does run hard very physical. 

I think there is no doubt in Faulks prime he would have little trouble running behind our O Line really, There have been more holes and creases then some will admit, I've been watching ALL 22, It gives much better angles then the side view given by regular telecasts

I respect your opinion, but how many times is he being hit before he gets to the line?

I still doubt Faulk is pouring over the film, even as much as you are. Now if Jaws said it, I'd have more faith in his opinion.

Wait wait wait.

So you're telling me that a veteran running back who played in the NFL for years, is seeing holes that a second year player is having trouble seeing?

Fascinating stuff. I have no obvious solution for why one is seeing things the other isn't. I'm certain Marshal hit every hole that presented itself, every time, his sophomore year. Why can't everyone achieve his level of perfection....

I respect your opinion, but how many times is he being hit before he gets to the line?

I still doubt Faulk is pouring over the film, even as much as you are. Now if Jaws said it, I'd have more faith in his opinion.

Thornton, Satele & McGlynn are getting blown up play after play.

Just makes one want to gag.

And I am getting sick of watching their players coming in behind our pullers and getting to him.

We are awful at keeping These guys out.

Maybe some of this is coaching. We definitely have an execution Problem. The "Obvious". Go Colts!!

Hey Winning Ugly, with lots of youth, a new O, and little experience playing together. And Faith we are just getting started. ;)

Thornton, Satele & McGlynn are getting blown up play after play.

Just makes one want to gag.

And I am getting sick of watching their players coming in behind our pullers and getting to him.

We are awful at keeping These guys out.

Maybe some of this is coaching. We definitely have an execution Problem. The "Obvious". Go Colts!!

Hey Winning Ugly, with lots of youth, a new O, and little experience playing together. And Faith we are just getting started. ;)

Then why is the other back gaining yards?

Same line

as you know,Brown has more yards per carry than TRich....Brown has more yards per carry than we have TRich threads per week

Again, not a TRich apologist. But you have to know why. Brown is running out pass formations. When he runs the same plays as Trent he's also getting stuffed.

They're both very good in space.

Wait wait wait.

So you're telling me that a veteran running back who played in the NFL for years, is seeing holes that a second year player is having trouble seeing?

Fascinating stuff. I have no obvious solution for why one is seeing things the other isn't. I'm certain Marshal hit every hole that presented itself, every time, his sophomore year. Why can't everyone achieve his level of perfection....

Agree. Marshall was very bright and was Rare athletically. TRich, few, come into the NFL with that.

Are our opponents lining up pre snap (disguising) to give a look that the middle is where to run then just taking advantage of our 2nd string talent there, and then using their LB`s/ a safety to fill the gaps?

It is so ugly in there, I just don`t know how we can be that bad.

IMO, he needs to fake right, then head for Castonzo rather than die behind... :thmsup:

Twice in 13 runs vs San Fran:

1st time at 4:13 1st Quarter

2nd time at 11:14 4th Quarter

I could go through all the games and every run but thats ALOT of work lol

Again, not a TRich apologist. But you have to know why. Brown is running out pass formations. When he runs the same plays as Trent he's also getting stuffed.

They're both very good in space.

I dont Brown runnimngh soley or predominately out of pass fromations..

and that as a reason/excuse is faulty because Brown usually is often running without the fullback BECAUSE its a passing set.

..and they don't alternate plays..they alternate posessions.

They run the same plays...he's just not producing..

Maybe Brown sees the holes better.....Maybe Trent is trying too hard and hurries into the blockage.....

That's correctable...There's only results...

Here's another chance today..Rams don't stop the run well..

....Maybe today he breaks through...

I dont Brown runnimngh soley or predominately out of pass fromations..

and that as a reason/excuse is faulty because Brown usually is often running without the fullback BECAUSE its a passing set.

..and they don't alternate plays..they alternate posessions.

They run the same plays...he's just not producing..

Maybe Brown sees the holes better.....Maybe Trent is trying too hard and hurries into the blockage.....

That's correctable...There's only results...

Here's another chance today..Rams don't stop the run well..

....Maybe today he breaks through...

True, also Brown has been with us for 5 years verses Trent's 6 games? Browns had plenty of bad moments.

I wouldn't dispute Marshall's observation, I think Trent needs to make better decisions on some runs and I see that myself, but I do not agree that there is a single reason for Trent's underperformance and a more fair evaluation might include the fact that Trent is often asked to run in obvious, smash mouth formations and situations. The idea that the Colts are not successful in smash mouth football does not rest solely on Trent's abilities, how about better blocking TE's, how about interior linemen that get more push, how about more effective run fake passing (i.e. the first drive pass to Fleener last week came off a run fake from a formation that had 6 down linemen and 2 TE's) but that's a rare exception. Just saying…...

They're is no such thing as vision guys! It's all running Into your blockers and hoping they're more than 3 yards up the los.

In qll seriousness Trent misses holes, and our oline doesn't give him many. 50/50 imo. He'll take the next step into the Back that he should be when he can reverse a run and go to the opposite side when the designed running side is being turned into an orgy of bodies. If he ever does this I'll be one elated camper and make a thread about how he finally adjusted or we finally have a dece oline

I think Trent does well today vs. the Rams...he's got to..its set up for him

As long as that ankle is good. I played with sprained ankle though. Just tape that baby up real good. If anything I ran way better with a good tape job. Helped me use my heal more for cutting. Could cut on a dime and give you 9 cents change ;)

Trent Richardson is your version of Mark Ingram.

Trust me, I know how you feel. We took Ingram in the first round and he has yet to actually do anything in 3 years. Payton even let Chris Ivory go who was one of our better backs, all so Ingram could become the leading man and he has done absolutely nothing but average 3 yards a carry and get tackled.

Someone brought up Reggie Bush's break out and compared it to Trent last week. I disagree.

If you watched how the Saints used Bush, there was a reason it was not working. Apart from hand offs, he acted like he was too scared to get hit and would run out of bounds after a few yards. So Payton started using him specifically for the screen plays. Reggie Bush was not a bad player for the Saints, he could really kill you with the Screens, as you should know, but Pierre Thomas was better than him when it came to rushing carries.

I think the real reason Bush has had a break out since leaving N.O. has to do with coaches that are dedicated to running the ball and coming up with better ways for him to run. It's pretty much common sense that the Saints never had a real idea of how to use him and dedicate it to running the ball. We had 3 awesome Running Backs in 2011 (Sproles, Thomas, and Ivory) who all came up big during the season and you saw just how much they wanted to run the ball when Brees would finally get shut down.