Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The O-line has to be fixed

AllYouNeedIsLuck

i wish I shared your faith. I just don't believe a coach would purposely have his team play horrible for 3 quarters on purpose

its not that i have faith in it so much as explaining it based on a few interviews ive heard from colts players/coaches. Where i disagree with the philosphy that we play "bad" and one of these days we will get too far behind that we cant overcome the deficit. Hope its not in the playoffs.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not that i have faith in it so much as explaining it based on a few interviews ive heard from colts players/coaches. Where i disagree with the philosphy that we play "bad" and one of these days we will get too far behind that we cant overcome the deficit. Hope its not in the playoffs.

yep they are going to reach for the switch one day and it won't be there.

With that said in Sunday the Texans were out of their minds in the first half. All you can really do there is weather the storm and not make the big mistake to feed into it and lose the game that way. I think that game was different than say the Seahawks game where the Colts just didn't get out of the gates very well.

yep they are going to reach for the switch one day and it won't be there.

With that said in Sunday the Texans were out of their minds in the first half. All you can really do there is weather the storm and not make the big mistake to feed into it and lose the game that way. I think that game was different than say the Seahawks game where the Colts just didn't get out of the gates very well.

Without a doubt.  Sunday night was depressing.  Worst half of football I'd seen by a Colts team in a very long time (ignoring the 2011 season of course).  When we came out flat in the very beginning of hte 3rd, it seemed all but hopeless.  But I'm glad that we're a team where you have that one player that makes you stay and keep the game on because, you know it's never over until the clock reaches 0:00.  We're a spoiled fan base.

I think Grigson's first off season priority will be to replace Satele and Mcglynn, no explanations needed. Alex Mack is a top 5 C in the league would be a huge upgrade to the interior of the o-line. Even if Donald Thomas comes back i wouldn't be surprised to see us go G in the 2nd round. Thomas has had two season ending injuries in the past 2 seasons and has only played more then 12 games once in six seasons. The reason the Dolphins released him is because he was injury prone. He's a good player but were gonna need more depth at that position because it's more then likely he'll get hurt again.

Thorton is McGlynn's replacement

The OL needs some tweeking for sure.  But I keep coming back to this play calling.  Look, we're winning.  And by design, our Colts take a lot of beating in the 1st quarter, sometimes longer, to learn as much about our opponent while simultaneously slowing them down.  This team employs the Ali approach.  Survive long enough and strike when the iron's hot.  So while it's easy to say that the OL needs to block better, or that Trent needs to improve his yard per carry, we aren't doing bad on purpose...there is a method to the madness.  Most people say we're winning in spite of Pep.  I myself included have my doubts.  But it's working, we're winning, and all is right in the world.  So, crappy blocking aside, crappy running aside, crappy defense aside, crappy passing aside, our first half failures somehow set up our second half success.  I don't get it, and I certainly can't explain it.  But...it is what it is.

So you're saying.......Pep....is learning on the job? What an unreal concept. And he may get better as the year goes on? And we are still 6-2, despite the fact he is learning?

Wow.....I just felt my world spin inside out. :thanks:

He actually logged some downs earlier this season if I remember right. I doubt he is getting much do to lack of experience......How can he get that experience if he is not playing? ;) Watching how he performed earlier this season he showed a lack of strength and his technoque needed to be refined some. Those were both also a knock on him in scouting reports

hasnt played in regular season

So you're saying.......Pep....is learning on the job? What an unreal concept. And he may get better as the year goes on? And we are still 6-2, despite the fact he is learning?

Wow.....I just felt my world spin inside out. :thanks:

lol thanks...I think?  Hey, we're winning, and what hes' doing is working.  I'm not sure too many people agree with my explanation of the whole thing, or if they see it that way...but at this point, its hard to argue with 6-2.  Really should be 7-1 - that loss to the chargers had nothing to do with Pep and everything to do with the players on the field. 

He actually logged some downs earlier this season if I remember right. I doubt he is getting much do to lack of experience......How can he get that experience if he is not playing? ;) Watching how he performed earlier this season he showed a lack of strength and his technoque needed to be refined some. Those were both also a knock on him in scouting reports

If his negatives are true we certainly don't want him getting experience with 12 behind him. Did he get in the Jax game with MH?

Strength can be improved and technique can be taught. But does he even have the talent to pick it up?

People always complain that we need to improve the line. They must not realize how limited and valuable the good ones are.

He actually logged some downs earlier this season if I remember right. I doubt he is getting much do to lack of experience......How can he get that experience if he is not playing? ;) Watching how he performed earlier this season he showed a lack of strength and his technoque needed to be refined some. Those were both also a knock on him in scouting reports

You are correct sir about the scouting reports. I don't know if the guy will be good or not but they said the same thing about Saturday & Lilaya. I know spelled wrong? They ended up OK!

i don't believe it and think it is not why we do well late at all. 

With whom?

Apparently McGlynn is better tan Link and they seem set on keeping Reitz at OT. So, who?

Yeah, it's baffling. Even if they feel Reitz isn't much better than Mcglynn, McGlynn hasn't been playing well at all. That alone is reason enough to try and switch things up. Our staff is just stubborn and seems to want to prove something by standing pat with the garbage we trot out on the field every week in the interior. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if both Satele and McGlynn are both retained next season

Yeah, it's baffling. Even if they feel Reitz isn't much better than Mcglynn, McGlynn hasn't been playing well at all. That alone is reason enough to try and switch things up. Our staff is just stubborn and seems to want to prove something by standing pat with the garbage we trot out on the field every week in the interior. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if both Satele and McGlynn are both retained next season

Satele still has another year on his contract if I remember right. Right now that interior O Line is what it is unfortunately...Not going to be fixed this year, Thornton is learning...struggles will happen along the way with that (he was a 3rd round pick for a reason). Highly unlikely Mcglynn is brought back Im sure unless Thornton really is that far away fron starting, watching him I think its more of a timing and technique issue then a strength or lack of a physical skill which is good, I expect he gets his shot to start next year and we bring in someone to compete with him...Someone like Chad Rinehart, Willie Colone(least likely O Lineman Grigs would bring in I think do to him being 32 already....would only be a stop gap for a couple years at best), Matt Slauson (if he can keep his mouth shut and fall in line) or John Asamoah.....I think our O Line looks like this come next year

LT-Castonzo

LG-Thomas

C-Satele

RG-Thornton

RT-Cherilus

I could see:

LT-Castonzo

LG-Thomas

C-Satele

RG-Rinehart

RT-Cherilus

I understand what you're saying, but I just can't get on board with that.  I find it hard to believe that our GM and coaches would risk the health of the franchise by starting players with lesser abilities just because they're "their guys".

I know that's been done other places, and maybe I'm being naive but the way I look at it is that it's their jobs their risking.  It's in their best intersest to put the best talent out there.

That's why I think that they feel McGlynn and Satele are the best options they have right now.  They probably feel that while there may be guys with a little more talent, they make up for it with experience. 

Just my take, and like I said, I may be naive.

Short answer, that's mostly true. Releasing Satele before the start of the 2014 season would result in a 2014 cap penalty of just over $1m.

More details, per Spotrac: Satele's cap hit for 2014 will be $5.37m. That includes a non guaranteed base salary of $4.2m, and an offseason bonus of $100k. So if we release him prior to that bonus (which is probably a March or June bonus, or maybe a workout bonus), we save $4.3m in cash and against the cap. If we release him after that bonus, but prior to the start of the regular season, we save $4.2m in cash and against the cap. The cap penalty to release him would be either $1.07m or $1.08m, depending on when the release comes. If he's on the roster for the start of Week 1, his entire base salary goes guaranteed, and releasing him would result in a cap penalty of $5.37m. I'm sure there are offsets in the contract, so if he's claimed off waivers, that guarantee comes off our cap and gets prorated onto his new team's cap. If he's not claimed off waivers, but is signed by another team, his new compensation gets reduced from our cap penalty.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/samson-satele/

Satele ended up just being a bad investment. Get the thought out of our heads right now someone will want to trade for him. Irsay will be eating his check next year to *hopefully ride the bench - which is exactly where he needs to be.

I understand what you're saying, but I just can't get on board with that.  I find it hard to believe that our GM and coaches would risk the health of the franchise by starting players with lesser abilities just because they're "their guys".

I know that's been done other places, and maybe I'm being naive but the way I look at it is that it's their jobs their risking.  It's in their best intersest to put the best talent out there.

That's why I think that they feel McGlynn and Satele are the best options they have right now.  They probably feel that while there may be guys with a little more talent, they make up for it with experience. 

Experience means nothing when the result is still Luck on his back and defenders constantly in the backfield. I've rarely ever seen a team stick with a starting line up as bad as ours for this long before without at least trying something else. When something isn't working, usually coaches start tinkering with lineups just to see if certain conbinations have better chemistry than others. Not with this staff though. They won't even entertain the idea of benching Satele or McGlynn, when it's clear as day that they are the weak links on the line. That, to me, is troubling... It reeks of stubbornness, in my opinion 

I don't think Pep is the problem.

We never blame our offensive line coach. Maybe he is the most liable.

satele and mcglynn are horrilbe

pep knows this but still calls plays that have very very little chance of being successful.  pep is a problem at times

Experience means nothing when the result is still Luck on his back and defenders constantly in the backfield. I've rarely ever seen a team stick with a starting line up as bad as ours for this long before without at least trying something else. When something isn't working, usually coaches start tinkering with lineups just to see if certain conbinations have better chemistry than others. Not with this staff though. They won't even entertain the idea of benching Satele or McGlynn, when it's clear as day that they are the weak links on the line. That, to me, is troubling... It reeks of stubbornness, in my opinion 

I get what you're saying.  I've said it a number of times, and I may be totally wrong, but I just can't believe the coaches don't want to put the best players out there because they're stubborn.  Or they want to stay with 'their guys'.  Or because a guy is getting paid more than a better guy behind him.

I want to believe they're putting the best they have out there.  I want to believe no coaches would put egos or whatever over the health of the franchise.  Which means their jobs.

I understand your (and everyone's) frustration.  We all want to say "FIX THE LINE!!!".  Maybe I'm an optimist, or naive, but I really think they're putting the best line they have out there right now.

I get what you're saying. I've said it a number of times, and I may be totally wrong, but I just can't believe the coaches don't want to put the best players out there because they're stubborn. Or they want to stay with 'their guys'. Or because a guy is getting paid more than a better guy behind him.

I want to believe they're putting the best they have out there. I want to believe no coaches would put egos or whatever over the health of the franchise. Which means their jobs.

I understand your (and everyone's) frustration. We all want to say "FIX THE LINE!!!". Maybe I'm an optimist, or naive, but I really think they're putting the best line they have out there right now.

rest assured

That is not the best 5 out there

I don't think you are being naïve.  I think sometimes fans hate someone so much that they can't accept he's the best of what the Colts got.  I think if the Colts thought they had someone better they would be playing him.  I also think people need to remember what we have seen of most of our back ups has been a small sample size and other teams don't have much tape on them and have not game planed for them.  My guess is if they started for extended period of time they would be exposed as being worse than the guys we have out there. 

The OL needs some tweeking for sure.  But I keep coming back to this play calling.  Look, we're winning.  And by design, our Colts take a lot of beating in the 1st quarter, sometimes longer, to learn as much about our opponent while simultaneously slowing them down.  This team employs the Ali approach.  Survive long enough and strike when the iron's hot.  So while it's easy to say that the OL needs to block better, or that Trent needs to improve his yard per carry, we aren't doing bad on purpose...there is a method to the madness.  Most people say we're winning in spite of Pep.  I myself included have my doubts.  But it's working, we're winning, and all is right in the world.  So, crappy blocking aside, crappy running aside, crappy defense aside, crappy passing aside, our first half failures somehow set up our second half success.  I don't get it, and I certainly can't explain it.  But...it is what it is.

I think they went into that game very flat over all.  Maybe the win over Denver had their heads in the clouds and they needed to realize that they can't play like that against lesser opponents.  They do seem to have an inconsistency against lesser opponents.  It's really the one major problem with this team minus the offensive line.  If they could put up performances like they did against San Fran, Denver, heck even Seattle despite the ugliness of it, they would have blown the Texans out of the water and probably San Diego as well.  Let's just hope they don't do the same thing against Tennesee, because they won't let us back into this game like the Texans did.

In a way, it was alot like the Colts/Denver game turned around.  For the Texans, this was their superbowl, much like the Denver game was very important to our team.  One team playing out of their minds and the other had not able to do anything, but in the end the underdog ran out of gas.  The Colts just got lucky with the fumble in the end, whereas the Texans couldn't hit the field goals.

I don't think you are being naïve.  I think sometimes fans hate someone so much that they can't accept he's the best of what the Colts got.  I think if the Colts thought they had someone better they would be playing him.  I also think people need to remember what we have seen of most of our back ups has been a small sample size and other teams don't have much tape on them and have not game planed for them.  My guess is if they started for extended period of time they would be exposed as being worse than the guys we have out there. 

Every game I've seen Reitz start at LG, outside of a few, he has been solid. I still don't understand what exactly he did to lose his starting job from last year, let alone fall so far down the depth chart this year. He can't even get on the field unless it's at TE. There's no way you can tell me McGlynn is more deserving to start than him. When we brought Donald Thomas in, I could understand a little bit why they didn't start him, but the minute Thomas went down, the starting lineup should've been

Costanzo

Reitz

Satele/McGlynn

Thornton/Link

Cherilus

Reitz and AC had a good chemistry going last year before he got hurt, and Thornton was being groomed to be our starting RG anyways. The above is our optimal lineup right now, but the coaching staff is insistent on fitting McGlynn and/or Satele into the starting lineup somehow, even though it's obvious that one (or both) of them needs to be benched