Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Vontae Davis shadow opponents best receiver?

BronxColtNYC

Most of the greats do it for their respective defenses. Plus, it will cease the nightmare that is Cassius Vaughn on Andre Johnson. I wonder why we haven't done so especially since we play press man a majority of the time.

Dont know but its aided in making Toler look silly there on some occasions, Of course ya put your best cover Corner on another teams best WR, why we dont do this is beyond me, Vontae Davis excels in press man. Toler can press to but once the ball goes in the air ya dont know what Toler will show up, the Toler that has to draw PI penalties to keep from getting beat and the Grog Toler that loses sight of the ball or the other Toler which can jump routes for pass defensed or int's, Maybe they view Toler as the faster game speed Corner but all one would have to do is look at the footage of Davis running after Andre Johnson on a deep ball chasing hin down from behind to disprove that possible theory

Dont know but its aided in making Toler look silly there on some occasions, Of course ya put your best cover Corner on another teams best WR, why we dont do this is beyond me, Vontae Davis excels in press man. Toler can press to but once the ball goes in the air ya dont know what Toler will show up, the Toler that has to draw PI penalties to keep from getting beat and the Grog Toler that loses sight of the ball or the other Toler which can jump routes for pass defensed or int's, Maybe they view Toler as the faster game speed Corner but all one would have to do is look at the footage of Davis running after Andre Johnson on a deep ball chasing hin down from behind to disprove that possible theory

I think it has some thing to do with , hiding the play and scheme we are in , since bethea and Landry nvr shift sides and toler and Davis its I guess a little harder to judge If we are in man , zone who is blitzing is Landry the free or bethea etc....just a guess of course

We could evolve into that type of scheme, and I believe Vonte has proven that he is very capable.

Toler got abused in that chargers game , but toler is ok , he is the future 4 th string corner we just giving him playing time like we did with vaughn last yr... Corner in the second round and ilb who can run in the 3rd we set on d for a good run

I sometimes find these hard to follow.  Different down and distance situations call for different types of plays. This calls for different types of D scheme, and also different D disguises to confuse an offense.  Do you zone  play outside leverage and let your DB cover the short stuff passing off the receiver to the inside and the safety?  Or, always man up and hope pass rush gets there before the receiver finally breaks away?  All of the coaches get paid handsomely to know their players strengths and weaknesses and  utilize the former and minimize the latter.  This call s for many different formations and responsibilities to effectively thwart what they believe the O will likely attempt.  If there was one best way, all teams would use it exclusively and draft/coach players on that method only.  There are so many variations because they have all proven to work depending upon matchups and situations.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe I have heard bot h our offense and defense as being referred to as Hybrid systems.  Meaning, combination of many schemes. It's coaches job to call right scheme (based on likelihood and tendencies) and have right players in for each play.  Especially in situational football... the key parts of the game. 

So in addition to things others have posted, I'm saying there might be times when a D coordinator wants' his #2 DB and safety help on double team on their #1 and let his #1 DB cover their #2 guy straight up, no help... and so much more that I'll never know about.

As said by Collingsworth and other analysts, the Colts are going to play receivers with lots of 1-1 coverage throughout any game, they covered Welker 1-1 even with a Manning to throw to him. I would think that in situations where they feel there is significant chance it may be a pass then by all mean let's have Vontae matched against Andre, but there is also a lot of situational  football where the coaches have come up with keys for the players to follow (based on formations, film study and tendencies) that may go against always having Vontae on Andre because they know that Andre is not going to be the target in this formation, down and distance, etc. and in those cases it may not be essential to have Vontae matched to Andre. IMO Vontae is the best tackling corner we have and there could be times we need that skill on one side of the field or another based upon the play we expect and in very likely run situations. Just saying one size does not fit all.

We have had an ample amount of time to prepare to confuse Case Keenum and the Texans.  Now it is time to make it happen in Prime Time.

Vontae needs to be on Andre, but they have some serious weapons.  I would like to see Butler start instead of Vaughn, and bring Vaughn in on the nickel.  We are up the proverbial creek if Davis or Landry go down.

It is also imperative that we get creative with the blitz packages.  OLBs need to also contain.  Foster killed us on the edge last year. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!

We have had an ample amount of time to prepare to confuse Case Keenum and the Texans. Now it is time to make it happen in Prime Time.

Vontae needs to be on Andre, but they have some serious weapons. I would like to see Butler start instead of Vaughn, and bring Vaughn in on the nickel. We are up the proverbial creek if Davis or Landry go down.

It is also imperative that we get creative with the blitz packages. OLBs need to also contain. Foster killed us on the edge last year. :blueshoe::blueshoe::blueshoe: !!!

That's what we're doing. Pagano announced Butler & Davis in 2 WR sets then sliding Butler in the nickel when it calls for it & put Vaughn outside

Toler got abused in that chargers game , but toler is ok , he is the future 4 th string corner we just giving him playing time like we did with vaughn last yr... Corner in the second round and ilb who can run in the 3rd we set on d for a good run

A corner in the 2nd? Some people are obsessed with corners....why, I have no idea. You are going to be very disappointed if you think Toler is the future #4 corner.

Vontae should stay on the right side it allows us to scheme better. QB's rarely throw at Vontae so it'll be easier for the defense because 1/4 of the field will be shut down.Most of the passes will be to Toler side and over the middle so we can roll safety coverage over that way.

This is the best explanation.   With Davis on one side Manusky can scheme accordingly, as opposed to letting the Texans decide where to put him. 

Besides, Hopkins is just as good if not better than Andre, so it really doesn't matter.  All things equal Manusky might as well keep Vontae on the right side where he has proven his dominance. 

A corner in the 2nd? Some people are obsessed with corners....why, I have no idea. You are going to be very disappointed if you think Toler is the future #4 corner.

Exactly, we're not taking a CB in the 2nd. We're obviously drafting a QB to replace Andrew Luck. Duh!!

:smack:

U gonna be very disappointed if u think toler is the future number 2 corner and we are not gonna take a corner in te 3rd or second , but MLB is the greatest need on this team pat and Sheppard has to go

U gonna be very disappointed if u think toler is the future number 2 corner and we are not gonna take a corner in te 3rd or second , but MLB is the greatest need on this team pat and Sheppard has to go

Need to make up your mind....they should draft a corner or not?

Need to make up your mind....they should draft a corner or not?

We need to draft a corner or get one on the market , but getting MLB to pair with freeman is and should be the top priority on defense this offseason I can live with Greg tolet getting )@@$(/ on for another yr but pat and Sheppard are guys we need gone and upgraded

Vontae is a pro bowl caliber corner. I think it should generally be considered a coaching mistake every time Toler is lined up opposite a teams #1 receiver. Toler is decent (and should improve with more time in the system) but he isn't on Davis's level. I've been very happy with our secondary this season, but we need to get and stay healthy...

Darius Butler is going to shine today @ Houston...  I've been screaming on the forum about him being our most underrated player for over a year, but I think he is starting to get his love... at least on here.  Darius has been nothing but solid... and often beastly since he came here.. He has 3 pick sixes as a Colt and always seems to come up with a big play. He is a smart and humble guy and I, for one, hope he stays in Indy for the long haul. 

Butler is the best slot corner in the league and will be an upgrade over Toler on the outside tonight...  Vaughn will probably play in Toler's spot, but he probably shouldn't... I mean. Houston doesn't really have a dangerous WR group... we have the guys shut them down without Toler, Howell, or Gordy.