pathetic!

colts_100nascar17fan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, if we're being literal, they mean that Pat's average is 20th in the league, and we're 27th in net punting yards. Literally.

Now there's absolutely no significance to either of those stats on their own, but literally, they mean just what they say.

Okay, I'm done now.

no joke, I was literally about to edit my post because I knew someone was going to call me out on that. haha

It's not the running part, it's how they run and telegraph it that kills me...It's basically just throwing downs away, maybe they will learn some things from watching Broncos tape this week, they say it's a copycat league and Pep needs to copy somebody cause his play calling decisions stink...

How is 4 yards/carry "throwing downs away"? That's devoid of common sense. If you get 4 yards/carry and run every down, you'll literally never be stopped. That's a decent average for an NFL team, especially one with a piecemeal offensive line like ours.

And just for reference, the Chargers were averaging 3.6 yards/carry against us until late in the fourth quarter. And that was just good enough for them to sustain four consecutive 10+ play drives and keep our offense on the sidelines. That kind of successful running goes a long way to taking pressure off of your defense.

The problem with our offense -- the reason we couldn't sustain drives -- is because of dropped passes. Plain and simple. Not because we were running too much, or running ineffectively. It was dropped passes.

Last Night was as frustrating of a game as I can remember sitting through since probably the Pats playoff loss after the 2004 season when we lost 20-3.  The Colts just could never get anything going on offense.  Rather it be drops or poor play calls the offense just looked like it was stuck in the mud.  Then on defense they would have been more helpful if had just gotten out of the way and let the Chargers score quickly as at least then you just giving up points rather than giving up points and 10 minutes a drive.  Special Teams was bad as well outside of Adam but that's not really shocking, special teams beyond the kicking game has never really been a strength of the team.  Honestly other than McAfee's punts it was a game that was par for the course with the special teams unit.  Then there was the decisions to punt namely the one at mid-field when it was clear that the defense was not playing well.  At some point you have to a risk.  That's what stuck out to me last night about the coaching they played it by the book, if the book says you punt in this situation they punted.  If the book says you cover their tightend and runningback out of the backfield with a linebacker you do that.  If the book says you show your blitz with 15 seconds still on the play clock and then don't change your defense's call even though Rivers is looking over your defense and clearly changing to what you show him that's what you do. 

It was very disappointing.  I will say I think the fact this was most of the teams first game on a Monday Night on a long west coast trip messed with them a little bit because it does take a team out of normal schedule.  That doesn't change the fact the game plan was not very good but it might explain why the players didn't preform as well.  I am sure the players weren't looking a head to the Broncos game either, most of them didn't play with Peyton and the ones that are still here that did play with him understand you can't look past anyone in the NFL.  With that all said though it's one game.  We saw the Colts lay an egg to a worse Jets team last season and then come back and rip off four wins in a row and seven of their next eight.  Odds are during a 16 game schedule you are going to get a game like this at some point.  So the proper reaction is not to over react like the forum likes to do anytime we lose a game where we are calling for people to be fired or released or saying things like Pep is the worst OC in the NFL today.  That's just pure anger talking.  I understand people are upset after a game like last night, I know I was.  However, it's still just one game.  My guess is the Colts will play much better on Sunday.  Last night embarrassed no one more than the team and if you don't believe that you have another thing coming.  Does that mean the Colts will win on Sunday?  No, but I'd bet the house that they will have a much better effort and will have a chance to win the game.

I also think playing a guy like Rivers is a good thing before we play Peyton.  The Colts now know where the holes are on defense when playing a QB who calls things at the line.  They have a week to work on it.  With that said I am sure Peyton watched last night and wrote Greg Toller's name down in big bold letters.  I fully expect the Broncos to go after him. 

NOW THAT"S PATHETIC!

Flawless Klingon facepalmage

giphy.gif

If I was a Klingon I don't think I'd stop touching my forehead. I'd be all " what exactly is going on up here " like a blind person reading Doctor Sues. " is this a typological map of the Himalayas?"

Its the word of the day along with embarrassing. Junk offensive play,shotty defense,poor special teams(except adam). They will get torched by peyton if they play this way again. The new formula for beating us-on offense is blitz from all different directions,play tight on the wr's while doing it or jam them at the line,play the pass only cuz we cant run it well enuff to be scary. When we on defense just run it smash mouth and quick hitters along with short quick passes to neutralize the pass rush and keep the clock running! Hopefully we dont play like some past teams years ago by playing down to the bad teams. Get rid of fleenor,dhb,few o-lineman,linebackers on inside except freeman,mcafee is having a very poor year to and its a contract year-didnt see that coming.

This formula would beat most teams!  

It's not the running part, it's how they run and telegraph it that kills me...It's basically just throwing downs away, maybe they will learn some things from watching Broncos tape this week, they say it's a copycat league and Pep needs to copy somebody cause his play calling decisions stink...

Those 3rd and short run formations were easy to telegraph but they still worked, because of execution. I don't disagree on using formations where its hard to tell between a run or pass, I prefer them as well. Keep in mind that if they pass out of power run formations enough it achieves the same goal.

I'm just saying play calling isn't why our Colts lost last night

10 spots? As irrelevant as punters may be in the stat and overall performance to a team, they have to be held accountable like everyone else.

Is it unfair for a running back to be graded on yards per carry or total yards for that matter? Just blame it on the offensive line for not opening big enough holes? some get it done and others do not.

You're not paying attention. 

First of all, McAfee is 19th in average/punt, 45.2. Not 20th. 

Second, difference between 19th and 9th is 1.7 yards. Not the end of the world. Not even worth discussing.

Third, there's only so much blame the punter has for net yards. The coverage team has to cover. They have to down punts. Part of that has to do with the punter, for instance, outkicking coverage, but mostly it's coverage. 

Pat has had some bad kicks this year. I'm not trying to absolve him of any blame. I'm just saying that I don't think the rankings you posted are indicative of how a punter is punting.

Lastly, this is oddly reminiscent of the Colts being 0-11, losing 62-7 to the Saints, and Bill Polian saying that McAfee needs to get better at directional punting. That's the last thing anyone needed to be worrying about. Same thing here. If McAfee's punting is our biggest problem, I think we're doing okay.

This was by far the worst I've seen the Colts play since the awful 2011 season. The whole team sucked except for Adam. And to do it on MNF was a total disgrace! If we play like that against the Peyton led Broncos were in for a real beatdown!

Guess you didn't see the Jets game last year, or the playoff game against the Ravens...

You're not paying attention.

First of all, McAfee is 19th in average/punt, 45.2. Not 20th.

Second, difference between 19th and 9th is 1.7 yards. Not the end of the world. Not even worth discussing.

Third, there's only so much blame the punter has for net yards. The coverage team has to cover. They have to down punts. Part of that has to do with the punter, for instance, outkicking coverage, but mostly it's coverage.

Pat has had some bad kicks this year. I'm not trying to absolve him of any blame. I'm just saying that I don't think the rankings you posted are indicative of how a punter is punting.

Lastly, this is oddly reminiscent of the Colts being 0-11, losing 62-7 to the Saints, and Bill Polian saying that McAfee needs to get better at directional punting. That's the last thing anyone needed to be worrying about. Same thing here. If McAfee's punting is our biggest problem, I think we're doing okay.

also average punt is very much determined on field position. If we punt from the other teams 40 and it's downed at the 5 thats only a 35 yard punt which significantly brings down his average.

also average punt is very much determined on field position. If we punt from the other teams 40 and it's downed at the 5 thats only a 35 yard punt which significantly brings down his average.

And then there's that...

As an aside, that's part of the reason I hate the idea of punting from the 40. If it's 4th and really long, sure. Other than that, the odds of getting a punt down that close and the yards gained isn't really worth it to me. If  you have a good quarterback, I'd rather go for it.

Some people have agendas that post here rather that be against teams, certain players, or certain owners.  I am learning it's best just not engage them anymore because you are just giving them what they want a chance to keep preaching their agenda and you aren't going to change their minds. 

Calm down!!!! They lost. Get over it. Any given Sunday. They will return Sunday night. They haven't even hit the half way point of the season yet. SD played them well and the Colts made many mistakes, but they will not play the same each week. Sunday can go two ways, better or worse. If worse, then they have a bye week to figure things out. They will evaluate themselves and work on corrections. The Colts still have some rebuilding to do, but they do have the personnel to win now, but the next few years we'll see them as a very dominate team in the NFL. I am so eager to see Ballard and Richardson in the mix. I strongly believe Ballard is easy a 100 yard rusher that could have made great contributions to the games the Colts have already played this year. Once he and a few others return to proper health I think we'll see a very aggressive dominate SuperBowl team. Rings Baby, Rings.....

McAfee isn't having a poor year. 

He's having a bad year, he is near bottom in every stat among punters his 38.5 net avg. is terrible. He has to improve dramatically , that 4th qtr punt was awful in a clutch situation and it cost us a FG when we could least afford it. I know hes a popular player but be real, hes having a bad year.

He's having a bad year, he is near bottom in every stat among punters his 38.5 net avg. is terrible. He has to improve dramatically , that 4th qtr punt was awful in a clutch situation and it cost us a FG when we could least afford it. I know hes a popular player but be real, hes having a bad year.

no he's not. Punting numbers are useless to evaluate punters. Our coverage is awful.

no he's not. Punting numbers are useless to evaluate punters. Our coverage is awful.

The stats may not be perfect, but these are the same stats these guys use to get paid so they must have some relevance. He has had only 4 punts returned for a total of 43 yards. Cant blame the other 17 on the coverage.

:facepalm:

facepalm-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gi

POlar_facepalm.jpg

Let's keep this going...

bc5b.jpg

Am I doing this right?

You win.

This guy is doing it wrong:

Facepalm_a27d11_2749295.jpg

NOW THAT"S PATHETIC!

Flawless Klingon facepalmage

giphy.gif

How I've felt about mostly everything that's been posted today:

ImpliedFacepalm.jpg

18zb.jpg

Killing Spree!

Dominating!

Mega Kill!

Unstoppable!

Wicked Sick!

Monster Kill!

Godlike!

Beyond Godlike!

The stats may not be perfect, but these are the same stats these guys use to get paid so they must have some relevance. He has had only 4 punts returned for a total of 43 yards. Cant blame the other 17 on the coverage.

do you really think that GM's simply look at a punter's stats before deciding how much to pay?  You don't think they look at game film and each individual punt to make sure they have an accurate assessment of how the punter played? 

Like dustin said, 

so if a punter were to do this all year long, then his average for the year would be 35 yards which is not very good, but I can almost guarantee you that punter would be in the pro bowl.  If there is one punter stat that means more than most it would be the number of punts downed inside the 20.  However even that stat can be misleading if the punter puts the ball inside the 5 yard line but the coverage team can't make a play to keep the ball out of the end zone.

do you really think that GM's simply look at a punter's stats before deciding how much to pay?  You don't think they look at game film and each individual punt to make sure they have an accurate assessment of how the punter played? 

Like dustin said, 

so if a punter were to do this all year long, then his average for the year would be 35 yards which is not very good, but I can almost guarantee you that punter would be in the pro bowl.  If there is one punter stat that means more than most it would be the number of punts downed inside the 20.  However even that stat can be misleading if the punter puts the ball inside the 5 yard line but the coverage team can't make a play to keep the ball out of the end zone.

No, I don't think they go off of the stats alone, but they are factored for sure along with game tape. Ive watched every game and it does not take a punting genius to see that this is not his best season. We have not been punting from the 40 every punt as you can see,

I'm not saying hes a bad punter, just saying hes not playing as well as he could and that punt in the 4th qtr. really hurt. Obviously 6 games doesnt make a season and I'm sure he will be fine.

No, I don't think they go off of the stats alone, but they are factored for sure along with game tape. Ive watched every game and it does not take a punting genius to see that this is not his best season. We have not been punting from the 40 every punt as you can see,

I'm not saying hes a bad punter, just saying hes not playing as well as he could and that punt in the 4th qtr. really hurt. Obviously 6 games doesnt make a season and I'm sure he will be fine.

I don't disagree with any of that.  I disagreed with the "these are the stats that these guys are paid on" comment.   I would think that, as far as punters go, the stat line factors very little into how much they get paid.   :)

NFL network on just now discussing the Colts game in San Diego.

They are terming it "a pathetic offensive execution"...their words.

They also say that the "power running game" is misguided for this Colts team.

They say it is just dumb to "take the ball out of Andrew Luck's hands and give it to Trent Richardson".

...not just the opinion of a disappointed fan but a general concensus in the football media.

NFL network on just now discussing the Colts game in San Diego.

They are terming it "a pathetic offensive execution"...their words.

They also say that the "power running game" is misguided for this Colts team.

They say it is just dumb to "take the ball out of Andrew Luck's hands and give it to Trent Richardson".

...not just the opinion of a disappointed fan but a general concensus in the football media.

The NFLN is a self-promoting entity. They want the game to be sexy. They also seemed to love our wins over SF and SEA. The only difference between our play against SEA/SF and SD.....we made serious mistakes in the SD game. 

They don't want to see the run game make a comeback. 

The NFLN is a self-promoting entity. They want the game to be sexy. They also seemed to love our wins over SF and SEA. The only difference between our play against SEA/SF and SD.....we made serious mistakes in the SD game. 

They don't want to see the run game make a comeback. 

We wasted the entire 1st half fooling around with the Pep-squeek system.

We wasted the entire 1st half fooling around with the Pep-squeek system.

I think it's kind to say, Pep has yet to grasp the subtleties of NFL play-calling. Not sure why he called for a right handed Luck to roll out to his left on one particular failed play. I don't get why he sends out pure run formations and ALWAYS runs out of them, when the obvious tactic would seem to be to mix that heavy form up by sneaking a few throws out of it, particularly to either the FB or RB.

People say that we only have 1 wide out in that heavy form, therefor that form can't be used to throw out of. BULLOCKS! There are 4 or 5 receivers in that form. A RB, a FB and 2 or 3 TE's eligible to roll out and receive. 

Even if it failed, calling some passes out of that heavy I-Form will give defenders some pause when trying to run out of it later. 

I think it's kind to say, Pep has yet to grasp the subtleties of NFL play-calling. Not sure why he called for a right handed Luck to roll out to his left on one particular failed play. I don't get why he sends out pure run formations and ALWAYS runs out of them, when the obvious tactic would seem to be to mix that heavy form up by sneaking a few throws out of it, particularly to either the FB or RB.

People say that we only have 1 wide out in that heavy form, therefor that form can't be used to throw out of. BULLOCKS! There are 4 or 5 receivers in that form. A RB, a FB and 2 or 3 TE's eligible to roll out and receive. 

Even if it failed, calling some passes out of that heavy I-Form will give defenders some pause when trying to run out of it later. 

Yep, pretty much.

I agree with the part about them passing more out of the power formations to keep the defense guessing.  But to the rollout to the left...while I agree it was an "interesting" call on 3rd and short, they do run rollouts to the left more than most teams because Luck is one of the few right handed QBs that can rollout to either side and still be able to throw effectively.  That was one thing I noticed about him (and Nick Foles) when I was watching them their last years in college.  The primary reason that play didn't work wasn't that Luck rolled out to the left but because Satele completely whiffed on a block that allowed the defender to get instant pressure on Luck.  Had that one defender been blocked then at the very least Luck would likely have been able to run for the first down since only 2 yards were needed.  

Bottom line is if Satele makes the block he's supposed to make then the Colts likely get the first down and it was a brilliant play call by Pep that caught the defense off guard and allowed for an easy first down conversion.