Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck post game presser

cmgww

Asked about not going for it that last time. Took a long pause, said he had to think about it, and then said "coach's decision, I always support the coaches..." Answered a few more questions including one about the Denver game, then just walked off.

I've never seen Luck look so mad in his young career. He was clearly not a fan of the punt call. Body language and the long pause said it all. And then to kind of storm off, that was not like him at all.

Not trying to read to much into it, but he was clearly *. At the drops, the D, some of the coaching...and I like it, he should be mad as the leader of this team.

That said, I think the Colts bounce back and play a ton better next week. It just wasn't their night.

And you can't tell me for one second there wasn't a little bit of looking ahead to Denver. These guys are pros, but they are human too. Maybe a little fat on their recent success too.

Asked about not going for it that last time. Took a long pause, said he had to think about it, and then said "coach's decision, I always support the coaches..." Answered a few more questions including one about the Denver game, then just walked off.

I've never seen Luck look so mad in his young career. He was clearly not a fan of the punt call. Body language and the long pause said it all. And then to kind of storm off, that was not like him at all.

Not trying to read to much into it, but he was clearly ticked. At the drops, the D, some of the coaching...and I like it, he should be mad as the leader of this team.

That said, I think the Colts bounce back and play a ton better next week. It just wasn't their night.

And you can't tell me for one second there wasn't a little bit of looking ahead to Denver. These guys are pros, but they are human too. Maybe a little fat on their recent success too.

Harvey is gluttoning on their recent success, literally. 

The decision to punt was pretty terrible. When you figure we kicked from the 10, the odds of the Chargers getting a FG were very high.  We could have just as easily went for it, failed, and still held them to a FG.  I didn't understand the faith the coaches showed in the D all night, they just didn't have it.

The decision (punting) was just as bad as Pagano kicking the extra point up 5 with around 4 minutes 13 seconds left in the SF game. Only this one killed a legitimate chance to tie that game up. Belichick must have been gagging when he saw that decision. No way in the world would that give you the best chance of winning that game. Brutal example of bad "old school " NFL mentality.

When I watched his interview with Gruden prior to the game, I came away from it feeling like he'd like to throw the ball more, which probably would have helped, if he had a pocket to throw from.

That O line, man. I keep trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but guys are all over him as soon as he drops back! It's ridiculous!

The punt was what sucked. We stopped them for a 52 yard field goal. We could have got the ball back if we got a Patty Mac type punt.

McCoy also doesn't understand football odds. Going for the first down was a far better move than kicking a 50-50 FG. Also you don't know how the game plays out if they did start 10 yards further back.

McCoy also doesn't understand football odds. Going for the first down was a far better move than kicking a 50-50 FG. Also you don't know how the game plays out if they did start 10 yards further back.

And we didn't know if we could get the first down after we sucked the whole game on offense and they killed our offensive line. I'd rather take a chance at the punt then miss that 4th down.

The decision to punt was pretty terrible. When you figure we kicked from the 10, the odds of the Chargers getting a FG were very high. We could have just as easily went for it, failed, and still held them to a FG. I didn't understand the faith the coaches showed in the D all night, they just didn't have it.

This was exactly my thoughts. Go for it if it fails, then hope your defense, who had really done nothing all night, can hold them to the 3 and that you can quickly score and get the onside kick and get another score. I was livid an still am over that nonsense chicken crap coaching decision. I'm considering selling my seat to the Denver game and mayb the rest of this season over coaching like that. I'm not conservative in my approach to things in life and I can't watch conservative ball play when we don't have the talent to be conservative an expect it to work. A Baltimore defense could afford for the offense to be conservative, not Indy yet.

And we didn't know if we could get the first down after we sucked the whole game on offense and they killed our offensive line. I'd rather take a chance at the punt then miss that 4th down.

Well if you can't make two yards , chances are you can't score a TD when and if you get the ball back. Me I'll take my chances that Andrew Luck cam make a two yard play than trust that defense that broke a record for the most long drives given up in a game.

This was exactly my thoughts. Go for it if it fails, then hope your defense, who had really done nothing all night, can hold them to the 3 and that you can quickly score and get the onside kick and get another score. I was livid an still am over that * chicken crap coaching decision. I'm considering selling my seat to the Denver game and mayb the rest of this season over coaching like that. I'm not conservative in my approach to things in life and I can't watch conservative ball play when we don't have the talent to be conservative an expect it to work. A Baltimore defense could afford for the offense to be conservative, not Indy yet.

I'm too old to see it , but eventually you see will people in dugouts and on sidelines that will make the decisions that call for proper odds and probabilities. Baseball is way ahead of football. Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh are two low payroll  teams that are now using advanced stats for defense and pitching strategies. The results are mind boggling as to how many hits are taken away and how pitchers have improved their effectiveness. The decision to punt on Sd's 40 earlier was bad , the one with 3 minutes left was utterly mind boggling. There is no way in heck it gave us the best chance to win. It's just "old school football." 

I would love to have a "what if?" machine so that I could compare the posts here with the comments that would have been posted if they had gone for it on 4th and 2 and missed.  I don't really think I need it though.  I'm pretty sure the majority of comments would have been either  "why did Chuck go for it instead of punting...we have the best punter in the game, let him do his job" or "Pep's play call sucked".

Harvey is gluttoning on their recent success, literally.

If he was out of shape, I don't think he'd be on the roster. he's a tweener, he's built like a DT but can move like a LBer. You should consider his speed at his size. While you call him fat, he's actually kind of a freak.

If he was out of shape, I don't think he'd be on the roster. he's a tweener, he's built like a DT but can move like a LBer. You should consider his speed at his size. While you call him fat, he's actually kind of a freak.

He's a freak that can't play on any down minus run downs, as was apparent yesterday. too slow to get into coverage, and he wasn't even good in run support at all. 

I would love to have a "what if?" machine so that I could compare the posts here with the comments that would have been posted if they had gone for it on 4th and 2 and missed. I don't really think I need it though. I'm pretty sure the majority of comments would have been either "why did Chuck go for it instead of punting...we have the best punter in the game, let him do his job" or "Pep's play call sucked".

Your comment has a lot of merit on a message board where a lot of opinions are thrown out and second guessed decisions are criticized often. To me though, it's situational football decisions and the colts made an error in that regard IMHO. Had the defense remotely held a majority of the game and we are in the same scenario as this game last night was, I would say the choice was correct to kick it and expect your defense would hold knowing the other team is most likely going to play a conservative approach.

Last night, we had a defense that had not stopped the chargers and we were hoping they would at the end of a pounding? We have Luck who has the ability to run, we have Richardson who is a pounder for 2.9 ypc at least we have Luck who can throw it to Wayne for 2 yards or Hilton for a screen for 2 yards an we punt it. Bad situational call and I feel we should have played our strength (offense today) and not "hoped" we could make a 3 & out stop with our worn out defense. Coach should learn from this game I hope and play less conservative depending on the situation.

I would love to have a "what if?" machine so that I could compare the posts here with the comments that would have been posted if they had gone for it on 4th and 2 and missed.  I don't really think I need it though.  I'm pretty sure the majority of comments would have been either  "why did Chuck go for it instead of punting...we have the best punter in the game, let him do his job" or "Pep's play call sucked".

agreed. the franchise punter has to earn his money.

He's a freak that can't play on any down minus run downs, as was apparent yesterday. too slow to get into coverage, and he wasn't even good in run support at all.

Actually he had a stuff or 2, definitely a liability in coverage though. The coaches know this but were forced into a tough situation last night. Just because a player isn't good for all situations doesn't mean they lack value.

I would love to have a "what if?" machine so that I could compare the posts here with the comments that would have been posted if they had gone for it on 4th and 2 and missed.  I don't really think I need it though.  I'm pretty sure the majority of comments would have been either  "why did Chuck go for it instead of punting...we have the best punter in the game, let him do his job" or "Pep's play call sucked"

I would look like a fool if I did the above. Here is my post in the thread "we have to get off to a better start. It's about 3-4 pages back. I tried to post the subsequent posts that depict the plays that occurred after the punt till we lost the game. But it kept saying I was posting too many images. 

• Locationhuntington beach ca

Posted Yesterday, 07:18 PM

are we really punting the ball ? horrible horrible horrible decision

•  

Hubby and I watched that press conference as it was happening and were yelling at the TV "Don't say it Luck!!!"  You could tell he was really thinking about what he could, should and shouldn't say.  I kept saying  to the TV "You don't want to open that can of worms Andrew... just play nice!"

It didn't take ESP to read his mind!

As Chargers fans, we couldn't believe you guys didn't go for it.  The entire momentum of the game could have shifted at that moment and we (the King of fading in the 4th quarter teams this year) just might have folded.  Understanding the risk of failure would be catastrophic but if you couldn't get 2 yards you likely wouldn't score two times either.  If we were in the same situation I would have been rooting for going for the first down.  I'd always rather lose being aggressive than passive.

Your comment has a lot of merit on a message board where a lot of opinions are thrown out and second guessed decisions are criticized often. To me though, it's situational football decisions and the colts made an error in that regard IMHO. Had the defense remotely held a majority of the game and we are in the same scenario as this game last night was, I would say the choice was correct to kick it and expect your defense would hold knowing the other team is most likely going to play a conservative approach.

Last night, we had a defense that had not stopped the chargers and we were hoping they would at the end of a pounding? We have Luck who has the ability to run, we have Richardson who is a pounder for 2.9 ypc at least we have Luck who can throw it to Wayne for 2 yards or Hilton for a screen for 2 yards an we punt it. Bad situational call and I feel we should have played our strength (offense today) and not "hoped" we could make a 3 & out stop with our worn out defense. Coach should learn from this game I hope and play less conservative depending on the situation.

Exactly what my thought is

Not trying to read to much into it, but he was clearly ticked. At the drops, the D, some of the coaching...and I like it, he should be mad as the leader of this team.

He needs to start ignoring Pep play calls and run what he thinks will work from reading the D.

Hubby and I watched that press conference as it was happening and were yelling at the TV "Don't say it Luck!!!"  You could tell he was really thinking about what he could, should and shouldn't say.  I kept saying  to the TV "You don't want to open that can of worms Andrew... just play nice!"

It didn't take ESP to read his mind!

As Chargers fans, we couldn't believe you guys didn't go for it.  The entire momentum of the game could have shifted at that moment and we (the King of fading in the 4th quarter teams this year) just might have folded.  Understanding the risk of failure would be catastrophic but if you couldn't get 2 yards you likely wouldn't score two times either.  If we were in the same situation I would have been rooting for going for the first down.  I'd always rather lose being aggressive than passive.

Our coach really wasn't the only one that was not capable of computing obvious odds. Your guy gave us a way better chance to win the game when he decided to kick the 52 yards FG. The odds of that kick are about 53%. The odds of making the first down with about a foot to go are greater than that. Making the first down assures the win , while there would still be a slim chance the Colts could score twice after the FG. Plus if they go for it and fail , the Colts have 8 more yards to go then they would if the FG missed. But ya , you guys were lucky we have one of those old school guys and not someone like Belichic.

He needs to start ignoring Pep play calls and run what he thinks will work from reading the D.

Perhaps Luck isn't up to speed yet on reading defenses pre-snap.  Ever think of that?  He's 6 games into his second year in the league.  It has taken even the best Qb's to ever play the game a bit longer than that to become a pro at reading defenses pre-snap.

Yeah, I also find it interesting the super abilities of some to see the frustration on someone else's face through their own angry eyes.

I wish I had that ability. I just wasn't blessed with it.