Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts waive DE Guy, Activate WR Brazill

MTC

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe practice squad ? I read that he would be eligible. But this is just root world , so not sure on that.

Colts waived DE Lawrence Guy.

Signed on September 24, Guy ended up playing 46 snaps in two games, and grading out well in Pro Football Focus' ratings. It's possible he'll get a look on waivers, but his most likely destination is the Colts' practice squad.
Related: Colts

Oct 7 - 4:01 PM

Maybe practice squad ? I read that he would be eligible. But this is just root world , so not sure on that.

Signed on September 24, Guy ended up playing 46 snaps in two games, and grading out well in Pro Football Focus' ratings. It's possible he'll get a look on waivers, but his most likely destination is the Colts' practice squad.

The practice squad is full, isn't it?  They'd have to cut somebody from the squad to do it.  Of course, that could be what they're planning to do once he clears waivers.

Here are the PS eligibility rules.  If I'm reading this right then Guy would not be eligible:

Eligibility

Practice squads are considered to be for developmental purposes. Therefore, veterans are not eligible to be signed to the practice squad. In fact, players with more than one year of accrued NFL service are not eligible. Here is a closer look at the eligibility requirements.

• A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
  • If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
  • A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
  • Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times.

Guy has played in 11 games in the past 2 years with the Colts so he would exceed the first two requirements.  I don't know if the last 2 points would make any type of difference in Guy's eligibility, but I would think that if he were eligible then the Colts would have put him on the PS at the start of the season.  

Here are the PS eligibility rules.  If I'm reading this right then Guy would not be eligible:

Guy has played in 11 games in the past 2 years with the Colts so he would exceed the first two requirements.  I don't know if the last 2 points would make any type of difference in Guy's eligibility, but I would think that if he were eligible then the Colts would have put him on the PS at the start of the season.  

"but I would think that if he were eligible then the Colts would have put him on the PS at the start of the season.  "

Exactly my thinking and that's why I added that statement that this was just roto worlds take on it. Thanks for looking it up as I'm a Pirae fan and didn't want to stop watching the game to research it.

"but I would think that if he were eligible then the Colts would have put him on the PS at the start of the season.  "

Exactly my thinking and that's why I added that statement that this was just roto worlds take on it. Thanks for looking it up as I'm a Pirae fan and didn't want to stop watching the game to research it.

No prob :)  I'm at work so I've got all kinds of free time

:peek:   *looks around for the boss* 

lol

I know, but still would rather have them waved Reed instead

That's my view also.  I can see releasing Guy if RJF is going to be back.  But why keep Reed?  He did nothing but cost us yards with every return. 

Is he the gunner now?  If not, he's useless IMO.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If I'm not mistaken we were carrying a 23/27 offense to defense split.  This move gets us to the more normal 24/26 split.

No prob :)  I'm at work so I've got all kinds of free time

:peek:   *looks around for the boss* 

lol

Funny you say that . I'm retired now but the last job I had was for Delmonte Fresh Poduce and they could view all our activity on our computers. I was in NY and their main office was in FL. So I guess they wanted to be sure we didn't spend our days surfing the net.

I know, but still would rather have them waved Reed instead

This. The only reason Reed is on the roster is to return kicks and he's been awful at it. Never makes it back to the 20. Kick him to the curb and let Vaughan and T.Y run them back.

"Thanks for blocking that kick, Guy. Now beat it, creep!"

Part of the NFL I don't like, wish they would just up the roster limit to 60 or so already.

I hear you but we'd probably still have the same problem. We'd just be replacing the 60th man rather than the 53rd.

This. The only reason Reed is on the roster is to return kicks and he's been awful at it. Never makes it back to the 20. Kick him to the curb and let Vaughan and T.Y run them back.

Actually, I blame that more on the kickoff return blocking than I do Reed.  But why he was returning it multiple times from 9 yards deep in teh endzone is still a mystery to me, whether it was his call or the coaches. 

We have 53 on the active roster right now once Brazill is brought up and that will give us 5 wr on the active roster, Robert Hughes will likely be let go at some point which will bring us back down to 52. I look for Guy to be on the roster again at some point

Actually, I blame that more on the kickoff return blocking than I do Reed.  But why he was returning it multiple times from 9 yards deep in teh endzone is still a mystery to me, whether it was his call or the coaches. 

Our ST blocking isn't the best but Vaughan and Hilton seemed to manage before Reed arrived. Like you said though, those run outs against the Seahawks were baffling. 

In all fairness, this is probably the thing that annoys me most right now about the Colts. And if the biggest issue you can find with your football team is which player is returning kicks then you, as a fan, have it pretty good!  :thmup:

I can't fricken stand Mathews. How he has made it over the likes of Nevis and Guy I have no idea. I see him make zero plays or impact. Or maybe that's just me?

I think that's a bit of a harsh assessment but I'd take both Nevis and Guy over Matthews every day.