Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griff Whalen waived

HtownColt

Whalen is expendable with Brazill coming back.  Need Reed for kick returns.

Whalen NEVER drops a ball, has glue for hands.  Can't believe this..  The guy was awesome in one of the early games at home, what gives here.  We have brought him along and taught him a bunch.  Denver will go nuts over him and bring him on immediately (possibly).  This is just the player Manning needs to complete their cast of receivers.  I am at a loss.  ;)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Whalen NEVER drops a ball, has glue for hands.  Can't believe this..  The guy was awesome in one of the early games at home, what gives here.  We have brought him along and taught him a bunch.  Denver will go nuts over him and bring him on immediately (possibly).  This is just the player Manning needs to complete their cast of receivers.  I am at a loss.  ;)

I never said I liked it...I was just analyzing what I think the coaches justification for cutting Griff was.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I fail to see what race has to do with anything.

When is the last time you heard a black slot receiver mentioned in the same sentence with Welker?  People naturally compare white receivers just like black qbs.  Not saying it's right (I was actually saying how annoying that is) but it happens.

When is the last time you heard a black slot receiver mentioned in the same sentence with Welker?  People naturally compare white receivers just like black qbs.  Not saying it's right (I was actually saying how annoying that is) but it happens.

Percy Harvin, Randall Cobb, and Victor Cruz off the top of my head

This is so true, its comical. Every white receiver is compared only to other white receivers. Who cares, right? Its just somewhat comical to me. Whalen reminds me of: Austin Collie, Wes Welker, Tim Dwight, Steve Largent... I always giggle.

Whalen NEVER drops a ball, has glue for hands. Can't believe this.. The guy was awesome in one of the early games at home, what gives here. We have brought him along and taught him a bunch. Denver will go nuts over him and bring him on immediately (possibly). This is just the player Manning needs to complete their cast of receivers. I am at a loss. ;)

5677741007_a2158f72bf.jpg

I was completely joking when I brought up the idea, but I stupidly felt I had to defend myself.... haha you guys are right it wouldn't be a good trade more than likely.  For some reason I always (incorrectly) assume any player who walks two steps into our team headquarters will magically become a better person.  I think our staff and players would give a guy like Britt the best possible chance to succeed in this league as compared to other teams, but that doesn't mean he will.

Fair enough. 

Hmm........

Fans complain for YEARS that we can't run the ball.

We hire an OC that has a history of running the ball.

Fans complain about our new OC.

We literally soar to the top of the league at running the ball.

Fans complain that we brought in a FB to help out our nicked FB to keep our new REAL running game going.

Fans complain because we gave up depth in our WR group to do so.

Got it. Carry on.

Hmm........

Fans complain for YEARS that we can't run the ball.

We hire an OC that has a history of running the ball.

Fans complain about our new OC.

We literally soar to the top of the league at running the ball.

Fans complain that we brought in a FB to help out our nicked FB to keep our new REAL running game going.

Fans complain because we gave up depth in our WR group to do so.

Got it. Carry on.

I see the common denominator....

Maybe the Colts are liking Rogers better ? That might be the positive way to look (or hope for) at this as his ceiling is much higher than Whalen's. That said put me in the group that thinks Whalen belongs as a 4th-5th WR or at least PS player on an NFL team.

George Bremer ‏@gmbremer 25m

C/OG Thomas Austin is the player released to make room for Whalen on the practice squad. #Colts

Oh dear god...... Not Austin. he was going to be the next big thing in the game. Now the pats will pick him up and we will never win a game ever again. This is worse than the curse of the bambino

Numbers wise I dont get the release of Austin (NOT talent wise so chill lol), we are thin at the Guard spots with 3 healthy, unless you want to count Holmes and Linkenbach(which I think thats what happened), I would of thought it a better idea to release Reed with Brazill back

Numbers wise I dont get the release of Austin (NOT talent wise so chill lol), we are thin at the Guard spots with 3 healthy, unless you want to count Holmes and Linkenbach(which I think thats what happened), I would of thought it a better idea to release Reed with Brazill back

They probably feel he's a safer cut.  If they need him on the active roster they'll be able to just sign him 'off the street'.  If we cut Reed we may not get him back.  Colts staff seem to think Reed is an effective kick returner, guess they plan to hold on to him until proven otherwise.  :shrug:

Maybe it is time to say so-long to Danny Dongo and keep only the real football players.

We would still have McNary at LB on PS.

The problem with your suggestion is that Adongo does not affect Whalen nor Austin at all.  If we cut Adongo from the PS then they would not be able to sign another player unless it was another international player that fit the same exception that Adongo fits.  So unless there is another international non US Resident player that would fit the same exception that is an experienced football player, then there's no reason to cut Adongo.

The problem with your suggestion is that Adongo does not affect Whalen nor Austin at all.  If we cut Adongo from the PS then they would not be able to sign another player unless it was another international player that fit the same exception that Adongo fits.  So unless there is another international non US Resident player that would fit the same exception that is an experienced football player, then there's no reason to cut Adongo.

Colts have 8 players on practice squad so I don't think they are using any exception for Adongo.   

Colts have 8 players on practice squad so I don't think they are using any exception for Adongo.   

He was at one point.  I just read that, while designated as an international member of the PS, the player cannot sign an actual NFL Player Contract with any club.  I would take that to mean the player would have to be moved from the international designation to the standard PS before he could sign to an active roster.  Maybe they feel he's close enough to playing that they removed the international designation?  Just a theory.

He was at one point.  I just read that, while designated as an international member of the PS, the player cannot sign an actual NFL Player Contract with any club.  I would take that to mean the player would have to be moved from the international designation to the standard PS before he could sign to an active roster.  Maybe they feel he's close enough to playing that they removed the international designation?  Just a theory.

You may be right about that. I didn't read it anywhere though but it could make sense. All I was saying is that there is no exception for an extra PS spot for an international player. The PS has to include up to 8 players for all NFL teams.

Now, as far as Daniel being close to playing I doubt it. In that article on MMQB.com that came out yesterday the author said that the plan is to give him a shot at next year 53. He also said that he doesn't recognizes play action yet and gets blown by the offensive lineman when he over commits in chasing down running plays.   

You may be right about that. I didn't read it anywhere though but it could make sense. All I was saying is that there is no exception for an extra PS spot for an international player. The PS has to include up to 8 players for all NFL teams.

Now, as far as Daniel being close to playing I doubt it. In that article on MMQB.com that came out yesterday the author said that the plan is to give him a shot at next year 53. He also said that he doesn't recognizes play action yet and gets blown by the offensive lineman when he over commits in chasing down running plays.   

the bolded part is not true.  

(b) The League may elect to allow some or all Clubs to add to their Practice Squads one additional player, who shall not count against the limit above, whose citizenship and principal place of residence are outside the United States and its Territories ("International Player"). The League's election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season. Such International Players shall be subject to the same terms and conditions of employment that apply to other Practice Squad players except that they (1) may not, during the term of their Practice Squad Contract, negotiate or sign an NFL Player Contract with any Club; and (2) may not practice with any Club following the last Conference Championship Game unless both Conference Champion-ship teams have such a player. In addition, notwithstanding the provisions of Section 4 below, such International Player shall be eligible to serve on a Practice Squad for three additional seasons after the completion of the player's year(s) as an International Player. As set forth in Section 3 below, the weekly salary for such International Players shall not be included in the employing Club's Team Salary and shall instead be deducted from the calculation of the Salary Cap in the same manner as any Player Benefit Cost.

this excerpt was found on multiple websites.