Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you like the Richardson trade?

Superman

Do you like this trade?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like that we gave up a 2014 1st rounder for Richardson?

• Yes, I like it
    • No, I don't like it
    • I'm torn; he's a good player, but the price is too steep

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha this was a GREAT addition. And it (like our first two games) continues to highlight the dirth of utterly incompetent, whiney negadits on the colts.com forums. It's like some crappy Colts forum somewhere got shut down. And all their turds landed here. It truly is surreal.

WOOHOO GREAT MOVE GRIGS!!!! #ColtsNation

Give props to Grigson and Irsay for pulling this off.

Since 1994, a top 5 pick has not been traded in year 2 of his play. Give the management some props to try to win NOW, which I believe this move will help towards.

No more 8 or 9 man boxes for Trent. Luck is good enough to see a safety cheating and moving up and it will make Trent a more efficient runner and Luck a more efficient passer. I'm on board, can you tell? :)

• I wouldn't trade a No.1 for any running back..

..and word from Cleveland is that we're getting someone who didnt quite come to play this year..

I would never have done this

We heard very similar things from Dol-Phan about Vontae Davis. (talent is not an issue with either of these guys!) I would never have guessed this, but I am actually on board with this move.  Colts assembling a solid group of talent. And Irsay/Grigson filling in holes with mid level talent that could grow and improve, or be expendable without much fallout.

This is a blockbuster trade, no doubt. There's plenty of discourse in the other thread, so just vote. If you comment, keep it brief. Just want to see how people feel.

nothing to be upset about with this trade, this is a true blockbuster.  Not quite Eric Dickerson but because in my opinion Dickerson came here about 4 to 5 years in, this guys comes to us 2 years in----it will be much different and more mileage will be gotten from TR.  He is a banger and I don't see how defenses will stop Amhad Bradshaw and TR.  Not gunna happen.  We will ground and pound and wear teams out then play action and bang T.Y. , Fleener, Wayne, and DHB will rule !!!! oh and what about Grif ---- killa

I have mixed feelings.  I think Richardson has the potential to be a top back but he has not shown enough yet to be worthy of trading the 1st round pick.  IMO

I couldn't have summed it up better. We will probably have a middle of the round pick in the 1st round and we probably could not have gotten as high a potential player as TR. (Draft picks are much overrated-only 40% of the top 10 picks in the draft actually achieve potential). The only issue I have with this is that we have Ahmad Bradshaw and could pick up a decent back to go with AB and Donald Brown (I know everyone hates DB here). I would have rather us get an O lineman or a true havock causing LB for this first round pick, but I'm sure those were not available. Bottomline, you summed it up well, CoffeeD.

Actually, we have young linemen already. I think we should sign an offensive lineman rather than spend a high pick on one.

^ This. 

The simple fact of the matter is, more cornerstone lineman are being taken early because of the rookie wage scale.  We'd be taking gamble on an OL in the mid first round as we would in the 2nd round and later.  Though, like any draft pick, the risks will be more the later in the draft taken, generally speaking.

@mchappell51: #colts pick up final 3 years on Trent Richardson's contract. $1,165,000 this year, $$2,252,708 in '14, $3,184,062 in '15.

Looks like a bargain to me, Browns paid him nearly 14mil for 17 games and have a 6mil dead cap hit for him next year

His contract is very team friendly. We basically just get his salaries (prorated this year, by the way), and that's nothing for a quality starter at any position on offense. 

This also saves us some bonus money on next year's first rounder.

But I'm talking about the draft pick, not his contract. If we had the 30th pick in the draft this year, I wouldn't want a running back. I'm sure Richardson will be a very good addition, I just don't like giving up a first rounder for him.

I love the trade, but I'd love it more if Thomas and Allen didn't get hurt. We'd be serious contenders imo then. My definition of serious contenders is top 3 in the conference so I think we'd be behind Denver and NE.

Just will have to wait a year I guess. With the players coming back, Luck even more experienced in his 3rd year and another Free Agency and draft to improve at weak positions this team will look damn good. 

BUILD THE MONSTER

I couldn't have summed it up better. We will probably have a middle of the round pick in the 1st round and we probably could not have gotten as high a potential player as TR. (Draft picks are much overrated-only 40% of the top 10 picks in the draft actually achieve potential). The only issue I have with this is that we have Ahmad Bradshaw and could pick up a decent back to go with AB and Donald Brown (I know everyone hates DB here). I would have rather us get an O lineman or a true havock causing LB for this first round pick, but I'm sure those were not available. Bottomline, you summed it up well, CoffeeD.

You make a good point about this year.  But also looking into the future... they just ticked off Ballard who, IMO, has shown a great deal of promise and showed the signs of a good 2nd year leap in his limited time this season.

They could have signed Delone Carter to team with AB and DB this year and try to trade a 1st round pick for Hudson of KC or some other similar level C/G.  Oh well, the trade is made, hopefully Richardson proves that Grigson was right in making the trade.

You make a good point about this year.  But also looking into the future... they just ticked off Ballard who, IMO, has shown a great deal of promise and showed the signs of a good 2nd year leap in his limited time this season.

They could have signed Delone Carter to team with AB and DB this year and try to trade a 1st round pick for Hudson of KC or some other similar level C/G.  Oh well, the trade is made, hopefully Richardson proves that Grigson was right in making the trade.

Ballard will be coming off of major knee surgery. Not unprecedented, but he's not a sure thing to get back to his prior form, much less to take the leap to become a true #1 back. I'm a big Ballard fan, but he's not a special talent. And we don't know what he'll look like come next season.

was just thinking of that. how would ballard and ahmad will take it. on one side this tells bradshaw this is a 1 year thing, so i dont know he will take it mentally. on the other hand this tells ballard that he wont be the workhorse.

Ballard will be coming off of major knee surgery. Not unprecedented, but he's not a sure thing to get back to his prior form, much less to take the leap to become a true #1 back. I'm a big Ballard fan, but he's not a special talent. And we don't know what he'll look like come next season.

True:  Along the same lines, we don't know what Richardson will look like next season either.  And Ballard does not seem to do anything great, but he does do everything well.

of course the NFL is a two back league now, so maybe it will work out long term.  Part of me thinks the Colts now have in Luck, Richardson, Hilton the trio of the future like Manning, Harrison, Edge (yes I just compared Hilton to Harrison... I don't think Hilton is as good as Harrison but he is a special and unique talent).  But part of me thinks they could have had that will Ballard.

True:  Along the same lines, we don't know what Richardson will look like next season either.  And Ballard does not seem to do anything great, but he does do everything well.

of course the NFL is a two back league now, so maybe it will work out long term.  Part of me thinks the Colts now have in Luck, Richardson, Hilton the trio of the future like Manning, Harrison, Edge (yes I just compared Hilton to Harrison... I don't think Hilton is as good as Harrison but he is a special and unique talent).  But part of me thinks they could have had that will Ballard.

Put it this way: If we could have traded a healthy Ballard for Richardson, straight up, that's a no-brainer. Having Ballard doesn't hold off a guy like Richardson. And now Ballard is hurt, so it's even more tilted.

Ballard is a fan favorite. I really like him and his attitude. The talent is undeniably there. Had he run better at the Combine, he probably would have been a third rounder. We got him as a steal in the fifth. He helicoptered in Tennessee. I'm a Ballard fan. But he's the run of the mill back that people are thinking about when they say "backs are a dime a dozen."

Richardson has the potential to be one of the best backs in the league. In two or three years, when Peterson is slowing down, when Lynch and Gore and Jackson are over the hill, it could be Richardson as the #1 guy in the league. He's that good, along with Morris, Martin, Spiller, and maybe a couple other guys. If you thought maybe Ballard could be the third guy in that QB/WR/RB trio, there's little doubt that Richardson can be that guy.

Put it this way: If we could have traded a healthy Ballard for Richardson, straight up, that's a no-brainer. Having Ballard doesn't hold off a guy like Richardson. And now Ballard is hurt, so it's even more tilted.

Ballard is a fan favorite. I really like him and his attitude. The talent is undeniably there. Had he run better at the Combine, he probably would have been a third rounder. We got him as a steal in the fifth. He helicoptered in Tennessee. I'm a Ballard fan. But he's the run of the mill back that people are thinking about when they say "backs are a dime a dozen."

Richardson has the potential to be one of the best backs in the league. In two or three years, when Peterson is slowing down, when Lynch and Gore and Jackson are over the hill, it could be Richardson as the #1 guy in the league. He's that good, along with Morris, Martin, Spiller, and maybe a couple other guys. If you thought maybe Ballard could be the third guy in that QB/WR/RB trio, there's little doubt that Richardson can be that guy.

I am not disagreeing with you.  I think Richardson's ceiling is higher than Ballard's.  And I know you and many are Ballard fans, like I stated in my first post... the price seems high and you have to look at what it does to the team dynamic and mentality.

I'm excited about getting a top RB in the game, but honestly, I feel we gave up too much. 

Richardson is not Adrian Peterson, and quite frankly for the most part, with the exception of AP, I don't think RB's are generally worth a first round pick.  You can get decent/good starters much later in the draft at RB.

I don't know if Richardson is a game changing RB that is worth a first round pick.   

I LOVE THIS TRADE!!!

I've seen a lot of negative reaction (mainly from the media) regarding the trade but I'm thrilled.

We keep hearing that RBs are now redundant in this passing league but you NEED a run game to make the pass a dangerous option. 

In addition, RBs are plug and play players. Stick a good RB in and he'll do well. Good O Lines take time to build and develop. I'd rather trade a first for a stud RB than a OL.

I am not disagreeing with you.  I think Richardson's ceiling is higher than Ballard's.  And I know you and many are Ballard fans, like I stated in my first post... the price seems high and you have to look at what it does to the team dynamic and mentality.

I think Ballard is going to be our RB #2 next year. 

I am concerned with what others have said on here, that why would the Browns give him up so quick if he was a true stud?  They got him for the 3rd overall pick, and they know the Colt's are not likely to be picking 3rd overall. 

And if the Colts where by some chance picking 3rd overall this is a horrible trade with Bridgewater and Clowney sitting on the board, even if we don't need Bridgewater and Clowney doesn't fit our defense, we could have traded down with that pick and gotten a crapload of draft picks. 

I LOVE THIS TRADE!!!

I've seen a lot of negative reaction (mainly from the media) regarding the trade but I'm thrilled.

We keep hearing that RBs are now redundant in this passing league but you NEED a run game to make the pass a dangerous option. 

In addition, RBs are plug and play players. Stick a good RB in and he'll do well. Good O Lines take time to build and develop. I'd rather trade a first for a stud RB than a OL.

Most of the negative reaction on this I've seen was against the Browns and not us. 

For the record I disagree, I'd rather get a stud OL then a stud RB.  But that's just me.

This is a blockbuster trade, no doubt. There's plenty of discourse in the other thread, so just vote. If you comment, keep it brief. Just want to see how people feel.

I like it a lot but I don't expect big numbers from any running back behind this line.

Edited by Superman

I'm a diehard Browns fan (and believe me that I've been dying hard for over a decade now) and I absolutely believe the trade is positive for both teams but I think the Colts paid way too high of a price for him regardless of the upcoming draft positioning.  For the Browns, they get a 1st round pick for a guy that showed he can only be an average back (at least for the Browns and I believe for any team)...of course they have to do something with the pick and that's asking a lot from my team.  For the Colts, Trent has to prove something he hasn't been able to prove with a year plus with the Browns and that is that he is special and deserving of a first round selection and that he can stay healthy. Even if he doesn't, he's still an upgrade to the Colt's RB stable no matter what...but again, that 1st round pick will prove to be a very steep price tag. 

I truly believe that Trent is typical of what you can find in a back in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft.  He is a physical specimen and was a nice back on a phenominally talented Alabama team with an even better O-line.  With that said, he has terrible vision and won't find as dominant of an O-line in the NFL as he did in college with Bama and certainly not with the Browns or Colts...let's also not forget how average or even below average he was in huge games for Bama.  He also lacks elusiveness and is more of a grinder than break-away threat.  He had a ton of carries last year and I think broke only one play for more than 20 yards.  I believe Peterson had twice the yards with almost the same number of carries.  I know comparing anyone to Peterson isn't very fair but Trent should be in the same universe if worthy of the 3rd pick overall.  With that said, and plenty not said, he is an improvement to the current Colts RB situation...but how much?  It's truly impossible for me to see Trent providing enough improvement to the Colts to justify a 1st round pick or even a 2nd round pick price tag.  Trent needs a top O-line and the Colts don't offer that.  The passing attack of the Colts alone should improve Trent's YPC but I would guess that goes from 3.5 to maybe 4.0...still not 1st round worthy. 

For those having doubt about the kid's character, there should be no question regarding the guy's character.  He is a very positive, hard-working, high character guy.  That is certainly not where I find fault with him.

I think the Colts will be strong this year, and slightly stronger with Trent, but I think that 1st round pick will still translate to the 20th to 22nd overall pick in the draft and feel that the Browns stand to gain much more from this deal in the long run...but will screw it up by drafting some other bum.  Here's another way to look at this from the Browns perspective, I think the kid Dion Lewis, that they picked up from the Eagle's scrap heap for free, was going to challenge Trent for the starting role if he didn't end up on the IR.  He showed much more promise than Trent.  Trent just isn't special....period.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the way out.  Man I wish we would have "sucked for Luck" for a year rather than just plain suck for the past 15 years.  That Luck kid is just absolutely an amazing kid...hard to believe he is just starting his second season.

"What are we going to do about the WR situation now?"

We have a WR situation? 

I think we have an O line situation if anything.

What did the Skins give up to get RG3? 

It's a solid deal.

With Wayne only having 1 more year on his deal and then likely retiring, we need to find someone to be a WR#1.  I don't think TY has the talent to be that and he's also too small. 

I was hoping for drafting one in the first round in 2014, but that isn't going to happen anymore.

Our line will be fine if we replace Mcglynn and Satele.  With Thomas and Thorton next year, McGlynn is replaced for next year.  We need to either draft a center or Holmes can maybe do it.  You can get a decent to good one in the 2nd or third rounds. 

I was hoping for a WR1 that could learn from Reggie for a year and then be the primary guy from year 2 on.

I'm a diehard Browns fan (and believe me that I've been dying hard for over a decade now) and I absolutely believe the trade is positive for both teams but I think the Colts paid way too high of a price for him regardless of the upcoming draft positioning.  For the Browns, they get a 1st round pick for a guy that showed he can only be an average back (at least for the Browns and I believe for any team)...of course they have to do something with the pick and that's asking a lot from my team.  For the Colts, Trent has to prove something he hasn't been able to prove with a year plus with the Browns and that is that he is special and deserving of a first round selection and that he can stay healthy. Even if he doesn't, he's still an upgrade to the Colt's RB stable no matter what...but again, that 1st round pick will prove to be a very steep price tag. 

I truly believe that Trent is typical of what you can find in a back in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft.  He is a physical specimen and was a nice back on a phenominally talented Alabama team with an even better O-line.  With that said, he has terrible vision and won't find as dominant of an O-line in the NFL as he did in college with Bama and certainly not with the Browns or Colts...let's also not forget how average or even below average he was in huge games for Bama.  He also lacks elusiveness and is more of a grinder than break-away threat.  He had a ton of carries last year and I think broke only one play for more than 20 yards.  I believe Peterson had twice the yards with almost the same number of carries.  I know comparing anyone to Peterson isn't very fair but Trent should be in the same universe if worthy of the 3rd pick overall.  With that said, and plenty not said, he is an improvement to the current Colts RB situation...but how much?  It's truly impossible for me to see Trent providing enough improvement to the Colts to justify a 1st round pick or even a 2nd round pick price tag.  Trent needs a top O-line and the Colts don't offer that.  The passing attack of the Colts alone should improve Trent's YPC but I would guess that goes from 3.5 to maybe 4.0...still not 1st round worthy. 

For those having doubt about the kid's character, there should be no question regarding the guy's character.  He is a very positive, hard-working, high character guy.  That is certainly not where I find fault with him.

I think the Colts will be strong this year, and slightly stronger with Trent, but I think that 1st round pick will still translate to the 20th to 22nd overall pick in the draft and feel that the Browns stand to gain much more from this deal in the long run...but will screw it up by drafting some other bum.  Here's another way to look at this from the Browns perspective, I think the kid Dion Lewis, that they picked up from the Eagle's scrap heap for free, was going to challenge Trent for the starting role if he didn't end up on the IR.  He showed much more promise than Trent.  Trent just isn't special....period.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the way out.  Man I wish we would have "sucked for Luck" for a year rather than just plain suck for the past 15 years.  That Luck kid is just absolutely an amazing kid...hard to believe he is just starting his second season.

Okay. 

I think Richadson was limited by the Browns schematics (lack of a passing game, loading up the box)

Dude has a small sample size from which to judge as a pro. I think the Colts schematically will allow him to be more productive.

Good to hear he's a high quality guy, that matters to the fans that pay to sit in the seats in Indy.

With Wayne only having 1 more year on his deal and then likely retiring, we need to find someone to be a WR#1.  I don't think TY has the talent to be that and he's also too small. 

I was hoping for drafting one in the first round in 2014, but that isn't going to happen anymore.

Our line will be fine if we replace Mcglynn and Satele.  With Thomas and Thorton next year, McGlynn is replaced for next year.  We need to either draft a center or Holmes can maybe do it.  You can get a decent to good one in the 2nd or third rounds. 

I was hoping for a WR1 that could learn from Reggie for a year and then be the primary guy from year 2 on.

The firecracker will be lit when it's time. I think our WR corps is solid for the time being. I didn't realize next year is Wayne's last year on this deal though.

Okay. 

I think Richadson was limited by the Browns schematics (lack of a passing game, loading up the box)

Dude has a small sample size from which to judge as a pro. I think the Colts schematically will allow him to be more productive.

Good to hear he's a high quality guy, that matters to the fans that pay to sit in the seats in Indy.

I agree.  Which is why I think his YPC will increase from 3.5 to 4.0 just by playing for the Colts vs. the Browns...still far from special. 

Edit: After about 20 hours, this is overwhelmingly pro trade. Out of 276 votes, 210 like the trade. Another 48 like the player but think the first round pick given up is too high a price to pay. Only 18 say they DO NOT like it, and at least two of them are fans of other teams. 

By the way, the Browns moved up to get Richardson in the first place. They had the #4 pick, which they surrendered, along with their 4th, 5th and 7th round picks. Based on most draft pick value charts, the #3 pick is worth 2200 points. The picks the Browns gave up were worth a total of 1953 points. So it was a value-worthy deal for them at the time.

However, if the Colts have the 15th pick in the 2014 draft, that's only a value of 1,050 points. If the Colts have the 20th (just missing playoffs), it's 850 points, 25th is worth 720 points (making playoffs, going out in first round), 30th is worth 620 points (losing in the AFCCG), 32nd is worth 590 points (Super Bowl winner).

I think we got value out of this deal, considering where Richardson was draft, and what the Browns gave up to draft him. My only problem is that I don't really think running backs are worth first rounders. But if we get five really good years out of Richardson, some Pro Bowl caliber play, and he helps balance out the offensive attack, then I'll agree that it's worth it.

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

24 hours later I still dont really know what to think of the trade, Watching both games of the Browns this year, Teams consistently did load 8-9 down in the box, Their was times however that  he did not follow his pulling guard when he should have. His lack of great speed is a bit unsettling  but that Browns O Line looks like absolute crap vs the run allowing penetration consistently, Richardson does show some ability to make you miss but its not great ability by any means, He does have just enough speed to get to the edge, I dont expect him to carry the load sunday in the running game, Im thinking along the lines of 15 carries for him with 10-15 for Bradshaw

24 hours later I still dont really know what to think of the trade, Watching both games of the Browns this year, Teams consistently did load 8-9 down in the box, Their was times however that he did not follow his pulling guard when he should have. His lack of great speed is a bit unsettling but that Browns O Line looks like absolute crap vs the run allowing penetration consistently, Richardson does show some ability to make you miss but its not great ability by any means, He does have just enough speed to get to the edge, I dont expect him to carry the load sunday in the running game, Im thinking along the lines of 15 carries for him with 10-15 for Bradshaw

While I was watching him vs Dolphins through the 1st quarter Richardson was pounding them, but as the game went on I think I found a RG even worse than McGlynn, that guy Cousins was getting torched by Starks, Soali, and Odrick consistently which blew up a lot of his runs throughout the rest of the game. It was amazing how he was making people miss just to get back to the line of scrimmage, but on stretch runs and tosses he does get a little ancy and want to cut back a little too early instead of pressing the hole a little bit longer before he plants his foot and cuts back.

I haven't watched the week 2 game yet