Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF ReFo: Raiders @ Colts.

Dustin

- The Raiders offensive line gave up a pressure on 13 of 37 passing plays. New right tackle Tony Pashos was perfect. Some team will kick themselves for not making a move on him sooner than the Raiders did.

- Of all the receivers in this game Reggie Wayne led the way with 3.1 yards per route run.Rod Streater finished second with 2.1 while Raiders old boy Darrius Heyward-Bey ended up with a respectable 1.5. In his final year with Oakland he managed 1.19.

- The Colts hybrid defense saw their base package consist of 18 snaps in a 4-3 look, and 22 in a 3-4 one.

- The three highest graded players from the game were Vance Walker (+3.8), Andrew Luck (+3.6) and Lamarr Houston (+3.5).

What? no mention of Antoine Bethea's pick that sealed the victory for INDY? What kind of reporter is Mr. Stockwell? SW1 isn't that impressed with his journalistic skills myself. No love for the secondary really? Sigh...

Okay, he does mention it in passing "a protection breakdown leading to a big sack, and the final interception," but if you skimmed the article too fast or had no seen the game, a fan might have missed the impact of that turnover. Funny, I just mentioned to Gavin on Saturday how we needed to generate turnovers in the 4th QTR before I begin to view the Colts as capable of contending for a SB too. It's a nice start anyway.  ;)

The other thing about Pryor is that he was given simple reads, he really didn't go through his 2nd & 3rd progressions, & he just tucked the ball down & ran if his 1st option was gone. 

"Raiders spurned their chance at what would surely have been the most unexpected victory of Week 1." Hey there genius, who won the game? INDY not Oakland. A W is a W sir.  :facepalm:

I DVR'd this game & I need to watch it again to really break it down. 

What? no mention of Antoine Bethea's pick that sealed the victory for INDY? What kind of reporter is Mr. Stockwell? SW1 isn't that impressed with his journalistic skills myself. No love for the secondary really? Sigh...

Okay, he does mention it in passing "a protection breakdown leading to a big sack, and the final interception," but if you skimmed the article too fast or had no seen the game, a fan might have missed the impact of that turnover. Funny, I just mentioned to Gavin on Saturday how we needed to generate turnovers in the 4th QTR before I begin to view the Colts as capable of contending for a SB too. It's a nice start anyway. ;)

The other thing about Pryor is that he was given simple reads, he really didn't go through his 2nd & 3rd progressions, & he just tucked the ball down & ran if his 1st option was gone.

"Raiders spurned their chance at what would surely have been the most unexpected victory of Week 1." Hey there genius, who won the game? INDY not Oakland. A W is a W sir. :facepalm:

had nothing to do with reporting a story. Its a grading system

I love PFF. 

I do too.  I have to wonder personally how many people they have working on their site.  

Watching those games, going through every snap and grading every offensive and defensive player on the field for every single game seems like a lot of work.  

But their system also seems like the best way to grade a player's performance, both on a individual game basis and on a seasonal basis.  

I do too.  I have to wonder personally how many people they have working on their site.  

Watching those games, going through every snap and grading every offensive and defensive player on the field for every single game seems like a lot of work.  

But their system also seems like the best way to grade a player's performance, both on a individual game basis and on a seasonal basis.

It may be the best way to grade players, but I question if the people they employ are actually qualified to do the job.

Remember how Mathis was going to miss Freeney?

Mathis had 6 pressures last game alone. He had 29 all of last year.

How long did it take mathis to apply the pressure? Can't say I noticed him a lot....I say that knowing it's difficult to judge on just watching the tv broadcast.

How long did it take mathis to apply the pressure? Can't say I noticed him a lot....I say that knowing it's difficult to judge on just watching the tv broadcast.

Mathis was being held darn near every play. Kinda hard to get consistent pressure when that's happening.

Okay, he does mention it in passing "a protection breakdown leading to a big sack, and the final interception," but if you skimmed the article too fast or had no seen the game, a fan might have missed the impact of that turnover. Funny, I just mentioned to Gavin on Saturday how we needed to generate turnovers in the 4th QTR before I begin to view the Colts as capable of contending for a SB too. It's a nice start anyway.  ;)

"Raiders spurned their chance at what would surely have been the most unexpected victory of Week 1." Hey there genius, who won the game? INDY not Oakland. A W is a W sir.  :facepalm:

Bethea just stood back there and had a desperate (DUMB) throw pretty much thrown to him. Nothing to it.

Pryor blew the game at the end. They should have had a couple shots from the 9 to win the game.

The author nailed it, HOMER.

Lol, they didn't even grade the Colts o-line, as if to say, "You know it, I know it, they know it, we all know it -- THEY SUCK"

Cherilus, McGlynn, and Thomas all graded positively in PP.

Satele and Castanzo were negative.

Not sure the exact grades.

@mchappell51: Pagano: Vick Ballard -- 6-for-6 in picking up the blitz. so valuable.

@mchappell51: Pagano: 7 offensive possessions -- usually about 12, 13. part of that is us. get off the field on third down better.

@CraigKColts: Pagano sez of SS/FS flexibility of Bethea/Landry is great asset. Opponents can't 'hone in" on jersey number. Can help confuse QB.

Seen somewhere on twitter that Cherilus was #1 in pass protection in week 1 but tied for last with Mcglynn in run blocking according to PFF

Remember how Mathis was going to miss Freeney?

Mathis had 6 pressures last game alone. He had 29 all of last year.

I thought we got good pressure all game. Pryor just did a great job of avoiding it to run, and even got some completions on scrambles. But the pass rush was good up the middle and outside.

It's funny that Mathis' one sack was a cheapie on a broken play.

I thought we got good pressure all game. Pryor just did a great job of avoiding it to run, and even got some completions on scrambles. But the pass rush was good up the middle and outside.

It's funny that Mathis' one sack was a cheapie on a broken play.

IMO Pressure sucked Pryor did a great job, but he wanted to run early I thought sometimes. I didn't see this good pressure?

IMO Pressure sucked Pryor did a great job, but he wanted to run early I thought sometimes. I didn't see this good pressure?

Why would he run if there was no pressure? There were plenty of times where we didn't get good pressure, and Pryor sat back and went through his progressions. He was much more advanced than I expected him to be, honestly. But the point is that he was taking off because we were moving him off his spot.

watch the game again

I will and to superman I as well thought Pryor was more advanced than advertised, but I got the feeling that more often tan not he would drop back and feel imaginary pressure IE a young QB will do & run. he would much rather run than pass. If we got this great pressure who was providing it honestly I didn't see it. I will watch again though?

I will and to superman I as well thought Pryor was more advanced than advertised, but I got the feeling that more often tan not he would drop back and feel imaginary pressure IE a young QB will do & run. he would much rather run than pass. If we got this great pressure who was providing it honestly I didn't see it. I will watch again though?

Everyone, I thought. Our defensive front got good penetration and came well off the edge, collapsing the edge. Pryor did bail early from time to time, but that was more an accumulation of pressure from earlier in the game. 

He had a big conversion on 3rd and 7 early in the game where he got forced from the pocket and threw deep to a receiver. He beat the pressure in a lot of different ways.

If anyone has the premium version, I'd love to know how they graded our O linemen.

Here is how they Graded OL ... Looks like Donald Thomas was our best OLineman. He was the only OLineman with an Overall positive score and no negative scores in any category.  Sorry if it is a little hard to read I did not know how the mods would feel about me copy & pasting the the table directly.

Anthony Castonzo: Overall: -3.7 / Pass Block: -4.2 / Screen Block: 0.0 / Run Block: +1.1 / Penalty: -0.6 / # of Penaties = 1 / QB Sack(allowed) = 1 / QB Hits(allowed) = 1 / QB Hurries(allowed) = 5 

Donald Thomas: Overall: +0.7 / Pass Block: +0.3 / Screen Block: 0.0 / Run Block: +0.1 / Penalty: + 0.3 / # of Penalties = 0 / QB Sack(allowed) = 0 / QB Hits(allowed) = 0 / QB Hurries(allowed) = 1

Samson Satele: Overall: -0.5 / Pass Block: -0.6 / Screen Block: -0.5 / Run Block: +0.4 / Penalty: +0.2 / # of Penaties = 0 / QB Sack(allowed) = 0 / QB Hits(allowed) = 1 / QB Hurries(allowed) = 1

Mike McGlynn: Overall: -0.8 / Pass Block: +0.8 / Screen Block: 0.0 / Run Block: -1.9 / Penalty: +0.3 / # of Penaties = 0 / QB Sack(allowed) = 0 / QB Hits(allowed) = 0 / QB Hurries(allowed) = 1

Gosder Cherilus: Overall: -0.2 / Pass Block: +1.3 / Screen Block: 0.0 / Run Block: -1.9 / Penalty: +0.4 / # of Penaties = 0 / QB Sack(allowed) = 0 / QB Hits(allowed) = 1 / QB Hurries(allowed) = 1

Here is how they Graded OL ... Looks like Donald Thomas was our best OLineman. He was the only OLineman with an Overall positive score and no negative scores in any category.  Sorry if it is a little hard to read I did not know how the mods would feel about me copy & pasting the the table directly.

Anthony Castonzo: Overall: -3.7 / Pass Block: -4.2 / Screen Block: 0.0 / Run Block: +1.1 / Penalty: -0.6 / # of Penaties = 1 / QB Sack(allowed) = 1 / QB Hits(allowed) = 1 / QB Hurries(allowed) = 5 

Donald Thomas: Overall: +0.7 / Pass Block: +0.3 / Screen Block: 0.0 / Run Block: +0.1 / Penalty: + 0.3 / # of Penalties = 0 / QB Sack(allowed) = 0 / QB Hits(allowed) = 0 / QB Hurries(allowed) = 1

Samson Satele: Overall: -0.5 / Pass Block: -0.6 / Screen Block: -0.5 / Run Block: +0.4 / Penalty: +0.2 / # of Penaties = 0 / QB Sack(allowed) = 0 / QB Hits(allowed) = 1 / QB Hurries(allowed) = 1

Mike McGlynn: Overall: -0.8 / Pass Block: +0.8 / Screen Block: 0.0 / Run Block: -1.9 / Penalty: +0.3 / # of Penaties = 0 / QB Sack(allowed) = 0 / QB Hits(allowed) = 0 / QB Hurries(allowed) = 1

Gosder Cherilus: Overall: -0.2 / Pass Block: +1.3 / Screen Block: 0.0 / Run Block: -1.9 / Penalty: +0.4 / # of Penaties = 0 / QB Sack(allowed) = 0 / QB Hits(allowed) = 1 / QB Hurries(allowed) = 1

Pretty much confirms what I thought Castonzo was the real issue Sunday.  I am going to guess he wasn't 100% on Sunday and that was the issue.  If that's not the issue we have REAL reason to be concerned. 

Pretty much confirms what I thought Castonzo was the real issue Sunday.  I am going to guess he wasn't 100% on Sunday and that was the issue.  If that's not the issue we have REAL reason to be concerned. 

He has always been entirely overrated on this forum, Truth is he simply has not been that good overall

He has always been entirely overrated on this forum, Truth is he simply has not been that good overall

I've always said he's not the best left tackle in the NFL but he is normally better than he was on Sunday.  I can tell that by just watching Colts games without numbers.  He was flat out bad on Sunday, like Jeff Linkenbauch at guard vs. the Chargers bad. 

Yea we need Conner or Angerer back for Dolphins, Sheppard can't pursue and tackle like they can, Sheppard be running in quicksand then when he is in position he can't break down and make the tackle.

Angerer with his club-foot isn't any quicker or faster than Sheppard. At least Sheppard can somewhat handle tackling a ball carrier on his own without being dragged 5+ yards before someone comes and helps. I really hope Conner is good to go for this weekend.