Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Just Makes Me Feel Confident

presto123

Hate to agree with you here, but this is absolutely correct. Quicker release = less sacks, and turnovers (usually).

It would be because Manning wouldn't have run Arians offense. He would have looked at the offensive line and told Bruce he was nuts.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But he isn't known for being good in the playoffs.

He's still a good QB.. But you can't put him in Oakland and take them to the Super bowl.

I don't even think Manning could of won the Colts 11 games last year like Luck did..

Luck's mobility won us a lot of those games..

Manning would have been sacked 9\10 times..

a) Wrong. He's often been absolutely tremendous in the playoffs.

b) Oakland? You say that as if other QBs easily could - which is ridiculous. However you could put Manning on ANY team in the league and they immediately become a playoff contender.

c) The oline last year was better than the one's that Manning played with in his last few years, and the receivers/tight ends/rbs were healthier and faster. Manning rarely gets sacked because he makes quick decisions and gets rid of the ball - with remarkable anticipation and accuracy. Mobility - other than stepping up in the pocket while keeping his eyes on the receivers - has little to do with it. Luck got sacked a bunch because he was a kid trying to do everything himself but lacked Manning's skill set.

It would actually be logical to conclude that with Peyton at the helm the Colts would have won at least as many games last year  - and actually outscored their competition in the process. You know, like in 2010 when the defense gave up virtually the exact same amount of points but the offense scored a ton more - despite much of the time having more than half the skill position players and a lot of the oline out of action.

How long have you been watching the Colts?

Manning would not have had 18 picks or 10 fumbles either. And he would have made the reads quicker negating the mobility issue. Not to mention his penchant for looking off the defenders to get guys open and setting the protection up front.

Behind the line we had last year?

I disagree..

He would of got killed..

b) Oakland? You say that as if other QBs easily could - which is ridiculous. However you could put Manning on ANY team in the league and they immediately become a playoff contender.

c) The oline last year was better than the one's that Manning played with in his last few years, and the receivers/tight ends/rbs were healthier and faster. Manning rarely gets sacked because he makes quick decisions and gets rid of the ball - with remarkable anticipation and accuracy. Mobility - other than stepping up in the pocket while keeping his eyes on the receivers - has little to do with it. Luck got sacked a bunch because he was a kid trying to do everything himself but lacked Manning's skill set.

It would actually be logical to conclude that with Peyton at the helm the Colts would have won at least as many games last year  - and actually outscored their competition in the process. You know, like in 2010 when the defense gave up virtually the exact same amount of points but the offense scored a ton more - despite much of the time having more than half the skill position players and a lot of the oline out of action.

Since 1994.

Manning can deliver the ball quick.. I'll give you that but he lacks mobility.

He has had a good line in front of him for most of his career.

Saturday,Glenn,Diem,Demulling,Lilja.. Just to name a few.

Luck played with a bunch of rookies or first year players on the Colts roster last year with the exception of Wayne.

Manning had Clark,Wayne,Harrison,James Stokley,Collie and Pollard throughout his career all in their primes.

Manning record in the playoffs is horrible. He has one ring after taking the Colts to the playoffs how many times?

Since 1994.

Luck played with a bunch of rookies or first year players on the Colts roster last year with the exception of Wayne.

Manning had Clark,Wayne,Harrison,James Stokley,Collie and Pollard throughout his career all in their primes.

Manning record in the playoffs is horrible. He has one ring after taking the Colts to the playoffs how many times?

The O-lines Manning had after 2006 in Indy were garbage. Saturday was washed up and the rest aren't worth mentioning, IMHO.

Since 1994.

The line wasn't that great after the 06 SB. Hell, Peyton got to a SB with Charlie Johnson playing LT.

Manning has to be on a championship built team to win a ring..

I'm not bashing Manning but he's not the player he once was with the Colts.. But he's probably on the best team he has ever been on.. If he doesn't do it now I don't think he ever will.

Of course he's physically diminished, it comes with the age.

No, he doesn't have to be on a "championship built team" to win a ring. What exactly does that mean. Any team that an elite QB steps on the field with immediately becomes a "championship built team".

Yes, you are bashing Manning. Are you having as much difficulty understanding what you are writing as I am?

No, he's not 29 any more, but he doesn't need to be to remain an elite QB. In some ways he's probably better than he was with the Colts - his brain is a football computer that never stops improving.

He's not close to being on the best team he's ever been on. Were you watching from 2003-2009 (fading towards the end, but lots of fine squads in there - despite the insistence of those who hate Polian.) The thing is, it's a circular argument. He's on a solid team that is now considered one of the best in the league BECAUSE Peyton is on it. I suspect that you could swap him with the QB's of numerous teams and the "best team" designation would miraculously follow along. Heck, you could swap him with KC and they probably win the division.

Your lack of appreciation is galling.

Manning has a ring.

But he isn't known for being good in the playoffs.

He's still a good QB.. But you can't put him in Oakland and take them to the Super bowl.

I don't even think Manning could of won the Colts 11 games last year like Luck did..

Luck's mobility won us a lot of those games..

Manning would have been sacked 9\10 times..

in other words...

i-dont-always-meme.jpg

seriously though, this will go absolutely no where so....peace   :hippie:

Wow. Really? Manning's often been tremendous in the playoffs? How long have YOU watched the Colts? Sure he's had good games here and there but they are few and far between. He has had 8 one and dones in the playoffs. How is that even possible? It boggles the mind. From supposedly one of the best QB's of all time.  From Colts teams that steam rolled the competition in the regular season. If Manning doesn't win another one soon that will be his legacy. Even the SB we won, Manning didn't play particularly well. I think most people would agree that the Manning era playoff performances were a huge disappointment. Even Irsay said as much.

Wow. Really? Manning's often been tremendous in the playoffs? How long have YOU watched the Colts? Sure he's had good games here and there but they are few and far between. He has had 8 one and dones in the playoffs. How is that even possible? It boggles the mind. From supposedly one of the best QB's of all time.  From Colts teams that steam rolled the competition in the regular season. If Manning doesn't win another one soon that will be his legacy. Even the SB we won, Manning didn't play particularly well. I think most people would agree that the Manning era playoff performances were a huge disappointment. Even Irsay said as much.

I've been a diehard Colts fan since about 1967, how about you?

I'll refer you to the 63 other similar threads in which people have statistically documented that Peyton played good enough to win in most of his losing playoff games. He was exceptional in some. That includes (for example) last years loss to the Ravens in which people who seek reasons to put him down look no farther than the interception. They forget the two TD passes which involved touch, accuracy, and timing that only a handful of other QBs in the league can ever demonstrate on their best day - much less in extraordinarily bad weather conditions.

The negative that I point out with Peyton in the playoffs is that he was pretty lousy in the early years. People point to his overall record and ignore the fact that he started 0-3. I wouldn't have complimented him back then - it was concerning.  The five one and done's since? Here's a hint - he averaged 300+ yards in those games. Things are usually a little more complicated if you actually look at them. You don't think that Dungy's son's suicide, Dwight Freeney's injuries, or some other bizarre twists of fate factor into this at all?

People love to criticize his playoff performances in a vacuum, as if that alone somehow makes him a lessor QB. Lessor than who? The hundreds of QBs that never got their teams into the playoffs in the first place? The inconsistent vastly inferior QBs on superior overall teams who just happened to get hot at the right time? Look at 2010 - what he did was virtually a miracle. Yet you want to classify their nearly beating a vastly superior Jets team with a bunch of third stringers as a failure? 

It's funny how only Patriot fans used to resort to comments such as this - until Peyton left and then the arguments were reinvented to justify the support of a kid whose just getting started. How about supporting both? That's what I do.

No NFL quarterback has led his team to the lead in the 4th quarter of a playoff game and then had that lead surrendered by the defense or special teams (not due to a turnover) more times than Peyton Manning.

Wow. Really? Manning's often been tremendous in the playoffs? How long have YOU watched the Colts? Sure he's had good games here and there but they are few and far between. He has had 8 one and dones in the playoffs. How is that even possible? It boggles the mind. From supposedly one of the best QB's of all time. From Colts teams that steam rolled the competition in the regular season. If Manning doesn't win another one soon that will be his legacy. Even the SB we won, Manning didn't play particularly well. I think most people would agree that the Manning era playoff performances were a huge disappointment. Even Irsay said as much.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/peyton-mannings-9-11-playoff-record-is-call-for-help/20868/

Yes, Irsay did say as much.

But, let's play fair shall we and add what else he said which was this:

"There was a conscious effort to make sure we had more balance and tighten the special teams up," Irsay said. "It was really a strong theme that I thought was important as Andrew came in and as we started this new era. When we can add that component [a tough ground game and a tough defense] to the Andrew Lucks of the world, I think you really have a chance to win more than one."

Or, as the author of the link I am providing says:

To win more Lombardi Trophies, Irsay is trying to give Luck something Manning never really had: a solid run game and a strong defense.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/22924611/only-one-super-bowl-win-in-manning-era-disappointing-to-jim-irsay

Right.

And this is not to say that Manning doesn't have faults, or hasn't had bad playoff games; he clearly does, and he clearly has.

Still, the prevailing opinion -- even around here on a Colts board, to say nothing of the media in general -- that Manning didn't play well in the playoffs is just not accurate. That article breaks it down very well.

Thanks - and I must sincerely apologize to Peyton. In my last post I wrote off the  first three games of his playoff career - generalizing from the frustration of the mind-bending 41-0 loss to the Jets, and a quick look at the stats. I had forgotten the details - he played will enough to win them too.

Behind the line we had last year?

I disagree..

He would of got killed..

I believe Denver's Oline was ranked 30th behind Tebow in 2011. Last year it was ranked in the top 5 behind Manning. A few pieces were changed, but Manning is the reason for the ridiculous jump. His ability to figure out a defense pre-snap and then again post-snap is incredible.

The Oline was not good last year in Indy but Luck hung onto the ball an awful too. His game is eerily reminiscent of Big Ben which is probably both bad and good. Good in the sense that he can make plays happen when things break down but bad in the sense that he will take his share of sacks and hits which is what you don't want your franchise guy doing.

I like Luck an awful lot and think there is a lot to be optimistic about but to think Manning would not have won 11 games is laughable when he went to a lousy Broncos team that was picked to win 7-8 games with a bad arm/neck and all and ripped off 13.

And rememer this when bashing Manning, Luck is also 0-1 in the playoffs so for all the yahooing about how Luck is this and that, he still has not won a playoff game.

And one last thought, the playoffs are not a right of passage even though Manning made it seem that way for well over a decade.

I believe Denver's Oline was ranked 30th behind Tebow in 2011. Last year it was ranked in the top 5 behind Manning. A few pieces were changed, but Manning is the reason for the ridiculous jump. His ability to figure out a defense pre-snap and then again post-snap is incredible.

The Oline was not good last year in Indy but Luck hung onto the ball an awful too. His game is eerily reminiscent of Big Ben which is probably both bad and good. Good in the sense that he can make plays happen when things break down but bad in the sense that he will take his share of sacks and hits which is what you don't want your franchise guy doing.

I like Luck an awful lot and think there is a lot to be optimistic about but to think Manning would not have won 11 games is laughable when he went to a lousy Broncos team that was picked to win 7-8 games with a bad arm/neck and all and ripped off 13.

And rememer this when bashing Manning, Luck is also 0-1 in the playoffs so for all the yahooing about how Luck is this and that, he still has not won a playoff game.

And one last thought, the playoffs are not a right of passage even though Manning made it seem that way for well over a decade.

Last year was Luck's rookie season, had a brand new defensive scheme, a horrible offensive line, a new coaching system, an overhauled roster and not to mention trying to gain chemistry in all facets of the game with all of the new changes to the team last year. I believe the young lad did quite well in his first season at the helm. :)

Last year was Luck's rookie season, had a brand new defensive scheme, a horrible offensive line, a new coaching system, an overhauled roster and not to mention trying to gain chemistry in all facets of the game with all of the new changes to the team last year. I believe the young lad did quite well in his first season at the helm. :)

I don't believe anyone said he didn't have a good year but to say and compare him to the top elite QB's at this time is a little too early in my book.   Like you said he stepped into an all new scheme and team and also the NFL which is different than college ball so with all that said he had a good season.   I believe every year he will do nothing but get better.   It's great to be optimistic but lets also be realistic in our expectations.   :)     Time will tell what a good QB we gained.  :thmup:

Andrew looked similar to Ben with the exact same OC. Interesting......

Like what? Not disagreeing with you but I thought Peyton was always pretty politically correct when dealing with the media. Other than the "* kicker" thing:)

His "protection problems" quote after the Steelers playoff loss and his public back & forth with Irsay after the 2011 season.  Neither were that big of a deal but both could have been handled better in my opinion.  Just a couple of examples. 

The Super Bowl loss against the Saints is squarely on Hank Friggin' Basket. That onside kick recovery took a possession out of Manning's hands and changed the momentum of the game and ultimately the outcome. I agree with most of everything else here.

Pure nonsense. There was blame to go around - pegging solely on one player is just silly.

yet.... most people want to peg the one and dones solely on Peyton.   

while Luck at QB  helps to allow confidence, its what the organization learned by having Peyton and Polians philosophy  of an un banalnced team , power O worse D , poor RB & OL   in later years  that has changed the philosophy of  the organization and to a balanced team approach and that is what gives me confidence, without the mistakes this organization made unfortunately  that reflect on Peyton's legacy  by to many pundits , it is those very own mistakes that has now helped make a better future, if there was  no peyton, well me may have just had the same unbalanced team with luck, Peyton helped this Franchises; future by allowing the team to go threw growing pains, it is just unfortunate for him he was at the helm during  this process

as far as 1 & dones 

GOOD ARTICLES , ((( sorry I have no time to respond to quotes nor debate this   i only have time for this as its a staright copy & Paste From my computer )))  , its been done but here is another analysis,  , take the info as u wish , read the articles  , very detailed 

MHR one is just a small summary I took  a few excerpts out of MHR article

In the eight one-and-done games in particular

The staggering number of drops (over 30 in the equivalent of half a season) and tipped-ball interceptions do QB  numbers little justice. One loss was by 41 points (( early in  carer to jjets )), and the other seven by 26 points combined.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When your defense allows a fourth-quarter comeback 60 percent of the time (6-4), you have a real problem. It is one thing to let Drew Brees do it, but when it's Jay Fiedler, Billy Volek, Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco? That is completely unacceptable.

Manning's had a lead in the final 0:40 of the fourth quarter and lost four playoff games.

The only four times Manning's teams have held off comeback attempts, they led to three straight wins and a Super Bowl in 2006, and a Super Bowl appearance in 2009 after holding off the Jets.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/7/23/4548270/peyton-manning-physical-v-mental

2 articles, each quite long with many stats,short video's key play ,   the above MHR REVIEW  based on them , same site , done  a year apart

----------------------------------------------------------------

2013 9 & 11 analyzed , has moving Pictures, short videos to help with points is makes

details each playoff loss of 1 & done

ends with 

throw in the ridiculous bad luck Manning has suffered through, and only then does 9-11 start to make some sense.

So 9-11 is not an accident for Manning. It’s a misfortune of unbelievable events, and it’s a call for help in what is proven to be the ultimate team game.\

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/peyton-mannings-9-11-playoff-record-is-call-for-help/20868/     

========================================

ARTICLE 2 , same site 2012  ( 9 & 10 record ), also details each game presented a bit differently

What’s a lost comeback? It’s a game where the quarterback met all the requirements for a fourth quarter comeback, except the team still lost the game because they lost the lead again. Manning had lost comebacks against the 2007 Chargers and 2010 Jets, which may very well end up being his final game and drive for the Colts.

That was significant, because it is yet another “record” for Manning in the playoffs. Out of the 101 games won with a fourth quarter comeback, there were 34 of them where each team took the lead at least once in the final quarter. That means there are 34 lost comebacks in playoff history. It’s happened to a lot of the greatest quarterbacks once. But it’s only happened to one quarterback twice.

Peyton Manning is the only quarterback in NFL history with two lost comebacks in the playoffs.

That’s two wasted efforts the Colts had at home, and against one offense led by Billy Volek, and then after allowing that big return to Cromartie in the final minute against the Jets.  

Lazy analysis

The 9-10 record is just the latest crutch for those who would rather not analyze what actually happened in the games. How will perception ever lose if reality is never even given a chance?

I didn’t spend 5,000 words talking about what should have happened for Manning’s Colts in the playoffs, what would have happened, and what could have happened if things went differently.

I talked about the facts of what did happen. I looked at what Manning did, along with what his teammates and the opponent did in those games. Now what’s stopping anyone else from doing the same?

It’s only when you put it all together that 9-10 makes sense. If you’re just looking at the quarterback, 9-10 shouldn’t even be on your mind. That’s just being lazy.

You all make valid points and I guess I came off a little strong there, but I just look at it differently I guess. To me it doesn't matter if Manning throws for 300 yards in a playoff game if he throws a big pick when IT MATTERS MOST. When the game is on the line in the last minute or two. I do put that Ravens loss last year on Manning because even though Denver's defense should have never let Baltimore back in the game, Manning had the perfect opportunity to drive for a winning score but he made a poor decision.(I even called it before it happened) I've seen it before. It's all about demeanor and body language. It used to drive me crazy when he would start that pouting and head shaking after throwing a big pick. Not the example you want to set for your team when you are the leader. 

A big reason why I said that Manning just never gave me confidence in my original post of this thread. I am a Manning fan and definitely didn't want this to turn into a bashing thread but I'm just calling it as I see it. In reality Manning was probably not as bad in the playoffs as I remember and probably not as good as some of you remember. Just as wins and losses doesn't tell the whole story neither does QB rating.

Since 1994.

last years OL is way better than Charlie Johnson DeVan Saturday Pollack and an old diem. not even close IMO.

and thats the OL that manning mostly played his last 3-4 years

Pure nonsense. There was blame to go around - pegging solely on one player is just silly.

yea garcon dropping that ball... Caldwell going conservative plus a stupid atemp at way too long of a distance for Stover, Collie running the other way on the screen pass, Manning's int, defense doing absolutely nothing after Powers went down.

Right.

And this is not to say that Manning doesn't have faults, or hasn't had bad playoff games; he clearly does, and he clearly has.

Still, the prevailing opinion -- even around here on a Colts board, to say nothing of the media in general -- that Manning didn't play well in the playoffs is just not accurate. That article breaks it down very well.

yea that article should be like the freaking bible to anyone who attemps to deffend manning...really sums it up

last years OL is way better than Charlie Johnson DeVan Saturday Pollack and an old diem. not even close IMO.

and thats the OL that manning mostly played his last 3-4 years

Really? By all accounts last year's O Line was a bottom 5 in the NFL and I've seen more than a couple articles that rank them next to last. To my eyes they were the worst in the league last year.

Really? By all accounts last year's O Line was a bottom 5 in the NFL and I've seen more than a couple articles that rank them next to last. To my eyes they were the worst in the league last year.

they sucked

manning line was still worst imo.

He also was second in the league in TOs and had a horrible passing percentage. It was a great TEAM effort to get those 11 wins.