Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Hilton

CS Colts Fan

found on rotoworld... great praise IMHO

Coach Chuck Pagano says T.Y. Hilton has "picked up right where he left off" from last season and is "trending in the right direction."

"He is a talented, talented guy," Pagano said. "He is going to become an elite guy. He’s here all the time. Guys take off to go to lunch, go do this, go do that. He may go eat but he’s right back in the meeting room. He’s right back studying his iPad. He’s learning what to do so he can play fast." Hilton is far more talented than Darrius Heyward-Bey, and the cream rises to the top. We fully expect Hilton to take over as the Colts' No. 2 receiver sooner rather than later.

another great Grig's draft !

These last two draft classes could set us up for years to come. I'll take it one year at a time, but i'm really looking forward to seeing this group mature.

Seems to be a natural handoff from Peyton to Marvin/Reggie, to now being Luck to TY? Stay tuned sports fans!

Was that Pagano stating that Hilton is more talented than DHB? If so, that can't be good for the locker room. He needs to keep those comments to himself.

beginning of quote --- >"He is a talented, talented guy," <--- end of quote  Pagano said.  beginning of quote  --->  "He is going to become an elite guy. He’s here all the time. Guys take off to go to lunch, go do this, go do that. He may go eat but he’s right back in the meeting room. He’s right back studying his iPad. He’s learning what to do so he can play fast." <----- end of quote   the rest of this I assume came from the writer of Rotoworld.  It doesn't sound at all like something Pagano would say. Hilton is far more talented than Darrius Heyward-Bey, and the cream rises to the top. We fully expect Hilton to take over as the Colts' No. 2 receiver sooner rather than later.  

Was that Pagano stating that Hilton is more talented than DHB? If so, that can't be good for the locker room. He needs to keep those comments to himself.

To even think that an NFL coach would be quoted on that is absolutely ludicrous.

found on rotoworld... great praise IMHO

Coach Chuck Pagano says T.Y. Hilton has "picked up right where he left off" from last season and is "trending in the right direction."

"He is a talented, talented guy," Pagano said. "He is going to become an elite guy. He’s here all the time. Guys take off to go to lunch, go do this, go do that. He may go eat but he’s right back in the meeting room. He’s right back studying his iPad. He’s learning what to do so he can play fast." Hilton is far more talented than Darrius Heyward-Bey, and the cream rises to the top. We fully expect Hilton to take over as the Colts' No. 2 receiver sooner rather than later.

another great Grig's draft !

If a person did not pay attention to the quotation marks it could misunderstood that Pagano made that last statement in the paragraph.  The part from "Hilton is far more talented than Darius Heyward-Bey" your personal opinion correct?

They don't really play alike. Desean Jackson is a more apt comparison imo.

That's what I see, I think T.Y. may be a little bit more of a route runner. The play that sticks out in my mind was the beautiful cut he made right before halftime in the Wildcard game last year.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think T.Y. is the main reason Reggie isn't going to see many double teams this year, and if he does Luck and T.Y. are going to eat these Db's for breakfast with a side of Fleener, and a tall glass of DHB.......And later, yoga classes with Dwayne Allen

If a person did not pay attention to the quotation marks it could misunderstood that Pagano made that last statement in the paragraph.  The part from "Hilton is far more talented than Darius Heyward-Bey" your personal opinion correct?

not my opinion, the article's author's opinion. .... hat's why I said I just saw this on Rotoworld....

That may be, but at this stage in TYs development he's not better than Jackson just yet.

At this point, I'd take him over Jackson every day of the week.  Jackson is a head case.  A premature show boater.

The one thing Jackson has is explosiveness, but while TY may not be as explosive, he's still more explosive than 90% of the receivers in the league.  To me, that is the only thing that goes in Jackson's favor.  Pretty sad considering TY is only is in his second year.

At this point, I'd take him over Jackson every day of the week. Jackson is a head case. A premature show boater.

The one thing Jackson has is explosiveness, but while TY may not be as explosive, he's still more explosive than 90% of the receivers in the league. To me, that is the only thing that goes in Jackson's favor. Pretty sad considering TY is only is in his second year.

We're not talking about personalities though. We're comparing play styles. While TY may be a better route runner, Jackson is more explosive and has better hands.

Wow, sometimes I feel like so many people here judge a player based on what they heard someone else say, which probably holds no weight, and no little to nothing about the player's ability themselves.

DeSean Jackson is a much better player than he is being given credit for here. In 2009 and 2010 he had 1000+ seasons whilst missing 1 and 2 games respectively, he also had 9 TD's in 2009. Since then he has horrid QB play and injuries.

I am not talking about his durability issues, nor am I talking about his character issues... I am talking purely about playmaking abilites, he is one of the most dynamic receivers in the league when healthy. If Hilton turns out that good, we are on to a winner. But he is certainly not there yet.

If you do not watch a player play why comment on his ability like you know what you are talking about? Ugh.

At this point, I'd take him over Jackson every day of the week. Jackson is a head case. A premature show boater.

The one thing Jackson has is explosiveness, but while TY may not be as explosive, he's still more explosive than 90% of the receivers in the league. To me, that is the only thing that goes in Jackson's favor. Pretty sad considering TY is only is in his second year.

I think I already acknowledged that while Jackson is faster, TY runs better routes.

Jackson is also a better returner than TY as well.

However they both play a similar game, which is my point. All indications are that TY will continue improving his route running, but at this moment in time he's not a significantly better route running than Jackson. Also at this point in time Jackson's explosiveness and speed make up for his weakness in route running. So I have to give Jackson the overall nod over TY at this juncture.

Wow, sometimes I feel like so many people here judge a player based on what they heard someone else say, which probably holds no weight, and no little to nothing about the player's ability themselves.

DeSean Jackson is a much better player than he is being given credit for here. In 2009 and 2010 he had 1000+ seasons whilst missing 1 and 2 games respectively, he also had 9 TD's in 2009. Since then he has horrid QB play and injuries.

I am not talking about his durability issues, nor am I talking about his character issues... I am talking purely about playmaking abilites, he is one of the most dynamic receivers in the league when healthy. If Hilton turns out that good, we are on to a winner. But he is certainly not there yet.

If you do not watch a player play why comment on his ability like you know what you are talking about? Ugh.

dude, when the whole trade thing was going on, and Maclin was a possible dude, people said they wouldnt give more than a 3rd for him...so, it doesnt surprise me :)

Guest TeamLoloJones

I could not agree more with this entire statement...When I comment on any player, especially players from other teams I'm not as familiar with, I hold any reservations or prasie for a player unless I've actually seen it myself...DeSean Jackson by all fan account is fast, but a borderline horrible player, but real life would say otherwise.  I would be willing to bet when Grigson drafted Hilton, he saw DeSean Jackson in him, since Grigson was with the Eagles...That being said can we stop all the comparisons please, just let T.Y. be T.Y.  Same goes for Luck and Peyton

Guest TeamLoloJones

T.Y. is just a pure out beast, if he can get better hands he can easily be a top 20 WR in this league

I think he's already in the top 20.  

Little Marvin was Superior at making catches on slants even when he knew a hit was coming.
TY shrank rather badly in that situation, the source of many of his league leading # of drops.

I also remember it that Andrew threw some exceptional laser beam on the money passes to TY that were the cause of most of TY`s long ball success.

I would expect defenses to adjust to his speed and to get physical with him.

Lets see how he performs against the better defenses.

A better running game will bode well for play action and for Andrew to have great opportunities to sling it deep.

Can`t wait....

• 2 weeks later...

Besides Jackson being a little faster, and TY running routes a little better, why is it a bad comparison?

jackson is good at kick returns and punt returns but as far as playing the wr position he's ok he doesnt run that many routes besides streaks, and post routes other than that that's all he's good for mike wallace is better than him

I will be thrilled if TY reached the Desean level of production. I personally believe that to be his ceiling. Similar to Steve Smith....Something along the lines of 75/1200/8 would be ideal.

But with Desean, up until last year, you are talking about a guy who would consistently put up around 100 all purpose yards per game. Thats a pretty nice thing to have, and I would think we would be in a pretty good spot if TY can do something similar.