Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to try out Donald Jones [Merge]

Everyone

I agree. I think Whalen is a lock to make the team. Why else would the Colts draft him and then shelve him for a year? If Grigson didn't want him they would have cut him and not paid him money to sit for a year.

1. We didn't draft Whalen

2. We didn't shelve Whalen

He was a undrafted free agent so we just took him. Then he was injured in pre-season and placed on IR. Hopefully that won't happen to him this year as his coordinator is now here in Indianapolis

Jones was reasonably productive with a barely average QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick, your wr's are going to look like crap if you dont have a very good QB, Fitz being a backup is overdue by at least a couple years, serviceable as a backup but below average as a starter

We didn't draft Griff. People get stashed & cut all the time. No way Griff is a lock.

I stand corrected. Whalen was signed as a undrafted free agent. Played 2 preseason games and was put on IR. Evidently Grigson thought he was good enough to pay and hold on to for the whole season. Nothing has changed. We shall see as training camp goes along but in the OTAs he caught very well and got excellent grades by the coaches. I was not at the OTAs but the people who reported said he caught every catchable ball thrown to him. No one can say exactly what Grigson will do because he is forever keeping his eyes open all over the place looking for talent. All of these receivers are in question till the finale roster is in place. With Whalen's past history with Luck and Hamilton I highly doubt he will be cut. Grigson's comments from last season was Whalen is worth putting on IR and keeping him around. There it is, no more, no less. 

1. We didn't draft Whalen

2. We didn't shelve Whalen

He was a undrafted free agent so we just took him. Then he was injured in pre-season and placed on IR. Hopefully that won't happen to him this year as his coordinator is now here in Indianapolis

I stand corrected on the draft but putting a player on IR is shelving him. He wasn't cut and paid to leave. 

I stand corrected. Whalen was signed as a undrafted free agent. Played 2 preseason games and was put on IR. Evidently Grigson thought he was good enough to pay and hold on to for the whole season. Nothing has changed. We shall see as training camp goes along but in the OTAs he caught very well and got excellent grades by the coaches. I was not at the OTAs but the people who reported said he caught every catchable ball thrown to him. No one can say exactly what Grigson will do because he is forever keeping his eyes open all over the place looking for talent. All of these receivers are in question till the finale roster is in place. With Whalen's past history with Luck and Hamilton I highly doubt he will be cut. Grigson's comments from last season was Whalen is worth putting on IR and keeping him around. There it is, no more, no less. 

Still is a Practice Squad option too.....same with Kelley although not sure we will keep 2 WRs on the PS.  It depends how much Grigs and Pags like them...and Palmer too...whomever does not make the cut.

I am thinking Harnish hits the PS this year as well.  We have two pretty hard nosed QB active!!!  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!!

Brazill is to good to get cut or replaced in my opinion. Last season he was chosen to make roster over all of the other guys we had for a reason. He has great potential just needs to stay out of trouble. Detriot game last season proved his ability.

I agree with the above sentiment but it will all depend on Brazil's attitude and work ethic going forward. 

Jones had moments when he looked like an NFL player. Problem is BUF isn't exactly stacked at WR, and the Don never really made an impact that warranted him to continue staying on their roster. Same could be said for DHB, but the athletic skill set is much different.

One thing about the Jones though is he had some of his best games against the Patriots, which is probably why they signed him initially. That trait would play well in Indy. He could be decent, reliable veteran depth...nothing really special but his talent might get a bump up with Luck as his QB.

If Harnish is any good and hits the PS..... Ariens may snag him. He knows his strengths and weakness as well or better than anyone.

I don't know... AZs not likely to replace Stanton on their active roster, and I'd figure one of Lindley or TerBush will take up their PS spot before Arians would bother with Harnish.

We can hope Harnish develops into a very special clipboard holder, but it's a little bit of a reach to assume other teams covet him over the guys they already have...

If Harnish is any good and hits the PS..... Ariens may snag him. He knows his strengths and weakness as well or better than anyone.

Good point Franklin County.  That is the drawbacks of the PS for sure.  Arizona has 4 QBs on their roster with Palmer, Stanton, Lindley and TerBush.

At this point I do not think Harnish is as good as Lindley...but we like him :)

Nevertheless....other teams could snag him or any other PS player too....but so can we...:)

So far, it's the Mike Hart syndrome.

We'll see what the coaching staff thinks.

Too difficult to tell being so far removed from what's really going on.

That's a great comparison.

Hard to say what plays into why certain guys get loved/hated like they do. And to think, many fans get offended if you call them fickle.  :D

Good point Franklin County.  That is the drawbacks of the PS for sure.  Arizona has 4 QBs on their roster with Palmer, Stanton, Lindley and TerBush.

At this point I do not think Harnish is as good as Lindley...but we like him :)

Nevertheless....other teams could snag him or any other PS player too....but so can we...:)

I agree, the last thing we should be concerned about is someone taking Harnish off of our PS. He's probably going to be seeing action with 3rd stringers in the preseason, so no one is going to pay much attention to him. Yes, Ariens knows him, but he'd have a loaded roster to have the luxury of adding a 3rd string QB with no experience. Or he's in dire straights, and in that case I really doubt he'd be looking for a guy like him to be a backup to Stanton.

Harnish may not even make the PS. If Hasselbeck plays 2 years, we can always look for another backup when he's done. Besides, it's usually not a young QBs goal to be a career backup. He may want to go somewhere else to compete.

• 2 weeks later...