Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans

Depends on how the Texans do after Schaub hangs em up, Luck will be a Colt for many years to come, Matt Schaub is on the wrong side of 30 (32). If Yates performs well then it could be a rivalry that lasts for quite sometime but if not....well......ya gotta be able to move the ball  through the air and on the ground at times

Not sure Luck era Colts will have a rivalry quite like the Pats rivalry....

That was stuff of legends...

Indeed, with all due respect to both Luck and Schuab aren't Manning and Brady. Luck might get to that level but will the Texans also find an elite QB? If only RG3 had been a Texan :P

While I agree with you, Buck, I truly hope the Colts/Texans rivalry becomes something special. I have been reading these forums for almost two years now, just every now and then, though this is my first time posting. I would love to see this divisional match up become the stuff of Steelers/Ravens and the like. With Luck behind the helm I am confident that we would end up on the right side of things. Anyway, it's great to finally post here, I have a great deal of respect for a lot of people here, QuizBoy definitely included. One reason I love reading these forums is because there are a few '' away teams'' here and the discussion is usually pretty civil and informative. I love them optimism as well, :) Thanks for all the good reads, everyone! I hope to post more frequently, but it's a bit of a hassle only having my phone to do so. Carry on and GO COLTS!

Could they potentially be our big rival like the pats were for so long?

That could be interesting and I honestly could see it happening.

And quizboy.... I have had respect for your team for years and years, unlike our other division opponents. If this does in fact happen. I will hate your team forever! Lol

Agree with the posts above.

For the immediate future they certainly seem like our rival. Considering they've never won in Indianapolis and I think the Texans would agree with us being their rival as well.

Have to think Houston and Indianapolis are the class of the AFC South and I expect that to be the case for the next few years (with Tennessee firmly behind).

Yep, we are going to be the bane of each other's existence for much of the foreseeable future. :) I say Schaub hangs the cleats up in about 5 years, unless he gets benched or traded before then or something. We have Yates who could end up being somebody to challenge #12 or maybe the guy we move onto isn't on our roster yet. In any case, I have a great deal of respect for all of you as well, and I look forward to what should be a good ten-fifteen years of competition. The Titans and Jaguars can just watch in wonder for all I care lol.

Yep, we are going to be the bane of each other's existence for much of the foreseeable future. :) I say Schaub hangs the cleats up in about 5 years, unless he gets benched or traded before then or something. We have Yates who could end up being somebody to challenge #12 or maybe the guy we move onto isn't on our roster yet. In any case, I have a great deal of respect for all of you as well, and I look forward to what should be a good ten-fifteen years of competition. The Titans and Jaguars can just watch in wonder for all I care lol.

I hope Shaub plays forever. And that he's too good at the start of the season to bench when the games really matter.

But that's just me...

Agree with the posts above.

For the immediate future they certainly seem like our rival. Considering they've never won in Indianapolis and I think the Texans would agree with us being their rival as well.

Have to think Houston and Indianapolis are the class of the AFC South and I expect that to be the case for the next few years (with Tennessee firmly behind).

I agree with Kevin....Tennessee is on their way up too!

I firmly believe EVERY Divisional team is a BITTER rival.  You play each of them twice and you better not look past any of them.  When you do.....Chris Johnson and MJD will run right by ya!  Maybe even a guy named Foster...he is pretty good too! :colts:  :colts:

Not sure Luck era Colts will have a rivalry quite like the Pats rivalry....

That was stuff of legends...

Presuming the Colts and Bengals can have a stretch of being division winners year after year (Emphasis on "Presuming" regarding the Bengals), they will face each other every year and/or possibly in the post season as well. That, combined with each city being roughly a little over an hour from each other, I think you might have the makings of a decent rivalry there.

It still kills me that the Colts weren't placed in the AFC North when the realignment happened. There's a lot to be said for geographical closeness when establishing and maintaining multiple rivalries. I just don't believe we have that being in the AFC South.

I hope Shaub plays forever. And that he's too good at the start of the season to bench when the games really matter.

But that's just me...

Have you seen that hairline? Dude definitely has to hang it up one day. We won't be seeing him and his sideline lobs for too long, thank goodness. :)

Presuming the Colts and Bengals can have a stretch of being division winners year after year (Emphasis on "Presuming" regarding the Bengals), they will face each other every year and/or possibly in the post season as well. That, combined with each city being roughly a little over an hour from each other, I think you might have the makings of a decent rivalry there.

It still kills me that the Colts weren't placed in the AFC North when the realignment happened. There's a lot to be said for geographical closeness when establishing and maintaining multiple rivalries. I just don't believe we have that being in the AFC South.

I dunno, Cowboys vs Redskins is a pretty good rivalry and they're about 1k miles apart.

I dunno, Cowboys vs Redskins is a pretty good rivalry and they're about 1k miles apart.

Well, you're comparing a rivalry that had long been established decades ago when there were a lot fewer teams.

And even now, I would say that the Cowboys-Skins rivalry isn't quite what it used to be. Still a good one, but the intensity isn't like it used to be - like in the 80's for example.

Yeah, I see us being rivals, just by nature of being in the same division... However, nothing will be like Colts/Pats for a very long time.  I don't think the Texans will be good enough long enough to be a huge rival. Not unless they find another QB down the line to match what I think Luck is going to be.

Well, you're comparing a rivalry that had long been established decades ago when there were a lot fewer teams.

And even now, I would say that the Cowboys-Skins rivalry isn't quite what it used to be. Still a good one, but the intensity isn't like it used to be - like in the 80's for example.

Rivalries can pop out of nowhere though. Who saw the Colts/Patriots rivalry coming? Or the new 49er/Seahawks rivalry. All it really takes is two good teams playing often.

Rivalries can pop out of nowhere though. Who saw the Colts/Patriots rivalry coming? Or the new 49er/Seahawks rivalry. All it really takes is two good teams playing often.

And I'm hoping one will spring out between Indy and Cincy.

I'd rather see Miami in the AFC South, and the Colts in the AFC East like they used to be..or..move Baltimore to the AFC East, the Colts to the AFC North, and Miami to the AFC South..I know they kept Miami because of the rivalry with the Jets, but we had one with them, and then, (albeit after the realignment), with New England. But I can see why they kept Baltimore in the North, because of the Cleveland thing...but there is no way Miami belongs in the East,,but it is what it is...I'd love to see a Colts/Jets rivalry again, as well as continuing with NE...

wishful thinking..

I agree 100%!  I wish they would have aligned the league more geographically - Colts in the North, Ravens in the East, & Dolphins in the South.  Rivalries would be so much better when fans could actually go to any division games without airfare.  I honestly have not felt any kind of rivalry build between anyone in the South in the last decade.  It's hard to relate when the teams are spread out over half the country.

I agree 100%!  I wish they would have aligned the league more geographically - Colts in the North, Ravens in the East, & Dolphins in the South.  Rivalries would be so much better when fans could actually go to any division games without airfare.  I honestly have not felt any kind of rivalry build between anyone in the South in the last decade.  It's hard to relate when the teams are spread out over half the country.

Because no other team in the AFC South has been consistently good. While I agree the current nfl alignment makes little sense, I don't think rivalries suffer do to distance between cities. Last I checked Boston is a good drive from Indy.

Because no other team in the AFC South has been consistently good. While I agree the current nfl alignment makes little sense, I don't think rivalries suffer do to distance between cities. Last I checked Boston is a good drive from Indy.

Well, to be fair, the main thrust of the Colts-Patriots rivalry was Brady vs Manning. Manning is gone and so is that rivalry. Perhaps it can be rekindled with Luck, but it wouldn't be for very long at all as Brady is pretty much wrapping up his career.

While I can agree that certain rivalries may not suffer due to close geographical proximity, I would say that closeness always helps even when teams aren't consistently good. Pittsburgh and Cleveland are somewhat lopsided in head-to-head record, but that game is always heated. Cleveland and Cincy have been cellar-dwellars for some time, but that intense rivalry for "The Battle of Ohio" remains intact. I would love for Indy to get in on that rotation. Each city in the AFC North is considerably less than a day's drive away if you're going to the game.

Unless you're flying, driving to Houston, or Jacksonville and back, is easily a three to four day affair.

Now having said all that, I hope the rivalry between the Colts and Texans stays on this upward curve and keeps growing. Until the last couple years, it's been pretty lopsided and not much of a rivalry. The Titans should even get in on the action, as I believe they've been taking some significant steps forward too. And for the Jags, well...

Well, to be fair, the main thrust of the Colts-Patriots rivalry was Brady vs Manning. Manning is gone and so is that rivalry. Perhaps it can be rekindled with Luck, but it wouldn't be for very long at all as Brady is pretty much wrapping up his career.

While I can agree that certain rivalries may not suffer due to close geographical proximity, I would say that closeness always helps even when teams aren't consistently good. Pittsburgh and Cleveland are somewhat lopsided in head-to-head record, but that game is always heated. Cleveland and Cincy have been cellar-dwellars for some time, but that intense rivalry for "The Battle of Ohio" remains intact. I would love for Indy to get in on that rotation. Each city in the AFC North is considerably less than a day's drive away if you're going to the game.

Unless you're flying; driving to Houston, or Jacksonville and back, is easily a three to four day affair.

Now having said all that, I hope the rivalry between the Colts and Texans stays on this upward curve and keeps growing. Until the last couple years, it's been pretty lopsided and not much of a rivalry. The Titans should even get in on the action, as I believe they've been taking some significant steps forward too. And for the Jags, well...

I think the manning-brady angle is overblown. The rivalry is great because the teams met every year with playoff ramifications on the line. Throw in the playoff match ups and that's the reason that rivalry got white hot.

And let's face it, most fans watch the game from their couch, not the stadium.

I think the manning-brady angle is overblown. The rivalry is great because the teams met every year with playoff ramifications on the line. Throw in the playoff match ups and that's the reason that rivalry got white hot.

And let's face it, most fans watch the game from their couch, not the stadium.

Well, I think they met in the regular season (Division winners) and playoffs so much because they were the respective QB's for each team. So I don't see that as overblown.

And while I agree that most fans stay at home, you do see that when teams are close to one another, they tend to travel to those other cities. AFC anf NFC North divisions are prime examples of this.

Just look at the three other teams on the AFC South. In that rotation, the only rivalry that I could see as legit would be Houston/Tennessee, because of Bud Adams moving the Oilers. I don't see any of the other matchups as being intense at all.

Well, I think they met in the regular season (Division winners) and playoffs so much because they were the respective QB's for each team. So I don't see that as overblown.

And while I agree that most fans stay at home, you do see that when teams are close to one another, they tend to travel to those other cities. AFC anf NFC North divisions are prime examples of this.

Just look at the three other teams on the AFC South. In that rotation, the only rivalry that I could see as legit would be Houston/Tennessee, because of Bud Adams moving the Oilers. I don't see any of the other matchups as being intense at all.

Nashville isn't that far away from Indy. It's a super easy drive.

Some of Kubiaks comments lead me to believe they are becoming higher on Case Keenum. I tend to think he is better than Yates

“It’s automatic for him now,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after practice on Friday. “That’s what I like. I think Case is fixing to be extremely competitive with T.J. and Matt. It comes from just confidence and knowing what we’re doing. You can just tell today, he comes out here with a bunch of young kids, but he was obviously the leader of the group today with everything he did.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Case-Keenum-shows-improvement-in-2nd-year-with-Texans/45eb062d-c236-426c-bf2b-b6e24ace6e1d

Some of Kubiaks comments lead me to believe they are becoming higher on Case Keenum. I tend to think he is better than Yates

Yeah, Case had some pretty good numbers in college. If he is better then Yates then I think that's a good problem to have, as we all saw how well Yates responded to the two guys in front of him going down. I can't wait for training camp to see how the back-up QB spot ends up and how well it is competed for.

Oh a little Indy-Cincy rivalry would be fun...

Great rivalries need great QBs.

Manning vs. Brady

Unitas vs. Starr

Namath vs. Dawson

Bradshaw vs. Stabler

So while we probably have a great one for the future the Texans will have to start from scratch. I don't thik todaysColts have a rival. It would be nice if the Tians we very good. Plus my nerves could not take another Manning-Brady game!!!! 

Great rivalries need great QBs.

Manning vs. Brady

Unitas vs. Starr

Namath vs. Dawson

Bradshaw vs. Stabler

So while we probably have a great one for the future the Texans will have to start from scratch. I don't thik todaysColts have a rival. It would be nice if the Tians we very good. Plus my nerves could not take another Manning-Brady game!!!!

The best rivalry today is considered Ravens-Steelers......I don't think it's defined by Roethlisberger-Flacco.

^^^^Kingcolt     agree about the qb's.  Plus u cant make a rivalry they just happen. The titans were good not so long ago and never became a rival.  With the parity in the NFL most teams are good every few years this is the Texans turn.  Titans were 13-3 in 2008 Jags were 11-5 in 2007.  The Colts obviously stayed consistent because of great qb play.  Look at all the great teams they all started with a qb. 

I think the Texans had their chance last year and will start a slide in 2013.  I think the Titans and Jake Locker could be on the move up.

The best rivalry today is considered Ravens-Steelers......I don't think it's defined by Roethlisberger-Flacco.

First off, Flacco has just now come in to his own and can't yet be proven to be a first class QB, not that he won't prove it. When there are great rivalries there have to be stars giving ammo to the media. I would offer up Cleveland and Pittsburgh are rivalries but not great ones. The Ravens/Steelers rivalry revolves around defenses.The best rivalry  today is SF & Seattle: week 2 of this season.

First off, Flacco has just now come in to his own and can't yet be proven to be a first class QB, not that he won't prove it. When there are great rivalries there have to be stars giving ammo to the media. I would offer up Cleveland and Pittsburgh are rivalries but not great ones. The Ravens/Steelers rivalry revolves around defenses.The best rivalry  today is SF & Seattle: week 2 of this season.

Of course the steelers ravens rivalry revolves around defense....that was kinda the point.

The thing about the Texans is that they're the Oilers who are the Titans and The Colts used to play in Baltimore? What does this have to do with anything? Nothing. As long as the teams are good, the division rivalry will always be there. You don't think there's a bunch of Jags fans that can't wait to see another 2-14 season from Blue? I'm sure it's the whole fan base, it's just they don't have anything to gloat about, so we don't have to (as far as it goes) "worry", about them. 

This reminds me of a good Bill Hicks joke. "A war is when "two" armies are fighting". Point being the rivalry will find us. I think the Texans are it right now for this incarnation of the Colts.

I don't think we have found our rival yet because this is a whole new era for us.

Dolphins are a possibility because of Luck-Tannehill and the Vontae connection. 

I honestly don't think we have met our rival yet, no offense Texans, but as shakedownstreet said, 18-4 lifetime.

Colts Patriots not sure? I believe Houston and the Colts would need some playoff battles and or both fighting for the division lead for say 4/5 years. The potential is there though. Houston has a darn good team an IMO there are the team to beat in the division until we or if we can win it. Its their division at this point!!