Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

34 teams?

Rebelknight

It occurred to me it seems more logical and lucrative for the NFL to expand by 2 teams. One in LA and then one in London..The one in London would have a state side practice facilty somewhere on the east coast. If they have a stateside HUB they would be able to bring Free agens there and work them out..It seems like a win/win/win,,

win for the NFL more teams more money..more games thru the season..

win for LA and London because they would have their own team not one that some other city lost..

win for wherever they decide to have their HUB.

It occurred to me it seems more logical and lucrative for the NFL to expand by 2 teams. One in LA and then one in London..The one in London would have a state side practice facilty somewhere on the east coast. If they have a stateside HUB they would be able to bring Free agens there and work them out..It seems like a win/win/win,,

win for the NFL more teams more money..more games thru the season..

win for LA and London because they would have their own team not one that some other city lost..

win for wherever they decide to have their HUB.

Not saying it won't happen, but how do you then structure divisions? How do you arrange the schedule? How does the new number of teams impact wild card allocation and/or playoff setup?

There is something neat and tidy about a 16 week season with 2 Conferences of 4 Divisions of 4 teams, and the current scheduling system has a good balance of ensuring inter-divisional competition and inter-conference rivalries while changing up who teams play year to year.

I am generally a fan of evolution and positive change. Likewise, I get tired of the"why fix it if it ain't broke" mindset when things aren't as efficient as they could be. I'm just not sure there is much to be done here to improve the product, other than for greed.

I wonder why there isnt a team in canada. every major sport has atleast one. hockey basketball baseball

No association football mention? Possibly the biggest sport in the world.

And i would love that, 1 LA, 1 London, 1 Canada (?) and 1 Mexico. New division, international. No idea what conference it would be in though. Or better yet, 2 new divisions. Have the 5 division winners and best 3 other non winners in the playoffs. Nice idea but would be unreasonable.

Why try to fix something that isn't broken?  I know the answer is "Mo Money", but how much more does the NFL need?  The TV revenues will do nothing but go up in the future.

People in LA really don't want a team, and a European team would be a nightmare logistically.  I may be in the minority, but I wish they'd leave well enough alone.

I wonder why there isnt a team in canada. every major sport has atleast one. hockey basketball baseball

I'm thinking it's because they already have a major professional league. I don't think they have professional baseball or basketball up there, so they make due with the teams they have in MLB and the NBA. But since they have the CFL, I suppose they don't feel the need to appeal to the NFL. Just a bad guess on my part lol.

Kentucky has one..     the Bengals.

And Canada / Toronto has the Bills...

Or add four teams and go back to the east, central, west divisions and it is still even that way. Teams go to LA, London, Canada, and Kentucky(why not?)

I'm thinking it's because they already have a major professional league. I don't think they have professional baseball or basketball up there, so they make due with the teams they have in MLB and the NBA. But since they have the CFL, I suppose they don't feel the need to appeal to the NFL. Just a bad guess on my part lol.

For being a guess, I wouldn't call it a bad one.  I have no idea if that is the real reason why, but it sure makes a lot of sense.

They kind of have the Bills.

as a canadian (who lives near toronto), not alot of people really like buffalo here, it could be because they're losers but everyone in my area just likes whatever team they want to, it's diverse.

so where do you put the team in london?? meaning what division? NFC East / AFC East? i mean that would be logical. i just dont really see how it will work though. because that is a long travel for both the visiting team and london when they go on the road, or should i say cross the ocean. some would say well teams make the trip from the east coast to the west coast, but how long is that for a flight?  5 or 6 hours? opposed to a 12 to 14 hour flight to and from london. 

I understand the NFL wants to expand, but why not just put a team in Canada, or Hawaii, or Puerto Rico??

so where do you put the team in london?? meaning what division? NFC East / AFC East? i mean that would be logical. i just dont really see how it will work though. because that is a long travel for both the visiting team and london when they go on the road, or should i say cross the ocean. some would say well teams make the trip from the east coast to the west coast, but how long is that for a flight?  5 or 6 hours? opposed to a 12 to 14 hour flight to and from london. 

I understand the NFL wants to expand, but why not just put a team in Canada, or Hawaii, or Puerto Rico??

A London team in the American football conference would be kinda funny but, also a little smug as well. I would put them in the NFC East.

If there were an odd number of teams the London team could play the team that is coming off of the bye week each and every week. Also, I would assume that the London team would be on the road for 3 games and at home for 3 games and repeat. They could mix it up a bit with the home/away scheduling but I would assume they would never cross the pond for one game and then go back across... just seems like too much of a hassle.

I still think the best scenario, most entertaining anyway.....would be a bona fide NFL Europe League, where the champ of that league would play the champ of the American league for the ultimate Super bowl Champ.....but having said that, there has to be the due diligence of winning over Europe enough that JR. SR high, colleges and universities all have American football as a major sport, and are producing their own athletes regularly to fill out those teams. I guess that starts with JAX playing some games at London, and then eventually 1 glove stadium.......ugggh

If there were an odd number of teams the London team could play the team that is coming off of the bye week each and every week. Also, I would assume that the London team would be on the road for 3 games and at home for 3 games and repeat. They could mix it up a bit with the home/away scheduling but I would assume they would never cross the pond for one game and then go back across... just seems like too much of a hassle.

what would you do the first 2 or three weeks of the season then?? they dont start bye weeks until week 3 or 4. so they would be sitting around for a couple weeks and playing less games then the rest of the league

what would you do the first 2 or three weeks of the season then?? they dont start bye weeks until week 3 or 4. so they would be sitting around for a couple weeks and playing less games then the rest of the league

Odd number of teams would mean that at least one team would be on a BYE week each and every week of the season. Here is Proof(2001).<--- Feel free to browse each week to see me point.

This would make my statement feasible but, I am certain it would take a bit more than a quick thought by an NFL fan to accomplish the task of scheduling for an international team. I am certain that the parameters that the NFL uses to model a schedule every year would have to change drastically.

It's naive to think the NFL will never expand beyond 32 teams; and, if they are going to expand, they will do it in small increments.  Adding one or two teams at a time will mess up the symmetry we have in the 32 team format, but it will allow for more growth down the line.

Because its too fn cold up there...lol

Ha!  I agree, but are And Minneapolis and Green Bay warm weather teams?

No teams in other countries IMO to rough on the players there are plenty of cities that could take an nfl team before Mexico or London I could go with Canada cause its in the NBA but I say cities like LA OKC Portland

Also I think some teams should just be moved sorry for the fans but some franchises just suck and some states have too many teams IMO why in the world does Florida need 3 teams keep the dolphins and move the others the state isn't that big drive if you wanna see a team other ppl do move Jacksonville to OKC the raiders back to LA and move the Bucs to Portland

But idk just ideas

It's naive to think the NFL will never expand beyond 32 teams; and, if they are going to expand, they will do it in small increments.  Adding one or two teams at a time will mess up the symmetry we have in the 32 team format, but it will allow for more growth down the line.

Ha!  I agree, but are And Minneapolis and Green Bay warm weather teams?

I think more teams=more games played, something that the players aren't too hot about. But then again, it means more money too, so maybe they can be negotiated with...

I think more teams=more games played, something that the players aren't too hot about. But then again, it means more money too, so maybe they can be negotiated with...

That is true, but the NFL is wanting to increase the amount of games anyway.

I think more games=more players on rosters.  Teams will have to start resting players like they do in other sports.  The CBA should be for it, since it allows teams, current players, and players currently NOT on teams to make more money.  Depth will become a bigger factor (they might even eventually have to add more rounds to the draft again).

That is true, but the NFL is wanting to increase the amount of games anyway.

I think more games=more players on rosters.  Teams will have to start resting players like they do in other sports.  The CBA should be for it, since it allows teams, current players, and players currently NOT on teams to make more money.  Depth will become a bigger factor (they might even eventually have to add more rounds to the draft again).

Yeah, but even in an 18 or 20 game season, fans are going to want to see their stars playing. And I don't think people want to see so many teams in the playoffs either, a problem that the NBA has. I think these athletes make enough money as is but that's for another discussion lol.

Also I think some teams should just be moved sorry for the fans but some franchises just suck and some states have too many teams IMO why in the world does Florida need 3 teams keep the dolphins and move the others the state isn't that big drive if you wanna see a team other ppl do move Jacksonville to OKC the raiders back to LA and move the Bucs to Portland

The allocation is based on volume of people, not geographic size, and Florida is actually several times the size of Oklahoma.. Counting "number of teams per state" isn't very important. OKC is certainly being taken more seriously (as evidenced by their NBA team), but ironically Orlando might be just as viable a target for a sports league.

And FL is physically big enough that the distance from Miami to Tampa, and Tampa to Jacksonville, probably isn't all that different than the distance from OKC to Dallas. The fact that the later two are in different states is largely irrelevant.

Nooo! More teams=more players=more offseason arrests. I think we've seen enough of that this offseason to last a lifetime (no pun intended) lol.

please leave joe out of this.LOL.I would like to personally apologize for both he and brazill.They donot reflect my great city(indy)or franchise.We will cut them as soon as possible.

please leave joe out of this.LOL.I would like to personally apologize for both he and brazill.They donot reflect my great city(indy)or franchise.We will cut them as soon as possible.

I was actually poking fun at the Hernandez thing lol

More teams would be more games played overall but not necessarily more games per team.  I don't remember how they made it work when there were 31 teams but I think they were on an 18 week schedule instead of 17 but teams still only played 16 games.  Either way they could work it out so that teams don't play additional games unless that's how they want to do it.  There has been talk of extending the regular season but shortening the preseason.  That could also make up for the additional games played, if necessary, during the regular season.  

Then that means 2 divisions will have 5 instead of 4. No, 32 is fine. It's evened out on both sides

They were able to work it out without an even number of teams in each division for a long time before they got to the current 32 teams.  Why, I remembers a time when there were able to make things work with 31 NFL teams.  I think we'll be ok when (not if) they expand again. ;)  

More teams would be more games played overall but not necessarily more games per team. I don't remember how they made it work when there were 31 teams but I think they were on an 18 week schedule instead of 17 but teams still only played 16 games. Either way they could work it out so that teams don't play additional games unless that's how they want to do it. There has been talk of extending the regular season but shortening the preseason. That could also make up for the additional games played, if necessary, during the regular season.

They were able to work it out without an even number of teams in each division for a long time before they got to the current 32 teams. Why, I remembers a time when there were able to make things work with 31 NFL teams. I think we'll be ok when (not if) they expand again. ;)

Ah, yeah you're right. And if the NFL wants it they will find a way anyway possible lol.