Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next Man Up - Left Tackle

Smonroe

We have about 6 weeks with nothing going on.  So I'll obsess over this for a while, plus it gives us a fresh thread.

It seems that we have a decent backup for just about every position, except one of the most important - LT.

In last week's chat session I asked Kevin Bowen who he thought would back up AC.  (And I said, please don't say Link).

He thought that Sowell would be next in line.  In reality, I think it probably would be Link.  Could someone break through during the preseason and win the job?

Thoughts?

They'd probably go with Link, but I'd hope they go with Cleary. With Link you already know what you're getting; really bad blocking. At least with Cleary you're going with a young guy that hasn't hit his ceiling, and you'll never really know what you have unless he gets real playing time.

I think Cleary goes to the PS....

I suspect Link gets first shot and Sowell gets a look as well....

In my opinion this is how we would probably see it.

Obviously, ideally it would be Castonzo and Cherilus at the bookends for 16+ games. But yes, I think this is probably how it would fall in order. Although, I still really like Sowell.

Yeah, it seems like Cleary is most likely headed to the PS.  Linkenbach was terrible at RT last year, but he had been serviceable at both OT positions in prior years.  He should be the top back-up, as he's the only one with experience.  That being said, I like Cleary a lot and had him as our 6th round pick on virtually all of my mock drafts.  If we truly have a cauldren of competition, I'd think he has a really good shot...

Experience usually wins out, unless there's a vast difference in talent. Hence playing an injured Zibs over Lefeged in the playoff game. That why I think it's Links job to lose.

At least with Cleary we know he has a good relationship with AC and they've been coached by the same guys for a lot of years. He may not have the same talent but they should have similar styles.

In my opinion this is how we would probably see it.

Obviously, ideally it would be Castonzo and Cherilus at the bookends for 16+ games. But yes, I think this is probably how it would fall in order. Although, I still really like Sowell.

I just do not think the average fan that does not see day in and day out operations has had a chance to see Sowell compete.  I have not been impressed in action I have seen, but he is young.  It seems the coaching staff feels he is a hard worker and coachable...why not see if he can be next man up?

I see Cleary as more of a right tackle in the NFL......and here I hope and pray big Ben Iljalana can make it back.  LT would be an awful tough task however.  It is nice that Cleary and Sowell can BOTH play left and right.  And.....we still have old 16 game Link to back up guard and LT...

Yeah, it seems like Cleary is most likely headed to the PS.  Linkenbach was terrible at RT last year, but he had been serviceable at both OT positions in prior years.  He should be the top back-up, as he's the only one with experience.  That being said, I like Cleary a lot and had him as our 6th round pick on virtually all of my mock drafts.  If we truly have a cauldren of competition, I'd think he has a really good shot...

Sadly, I thought Sowell made Link look decent as a RT. ugh!

If a veteran comes available we should be sniffing, because not having a useable backup LT is PainteriSH.

Ijalana could be the guy but that is Too Big an If for a Team that may be a legit AFC Championship contender come December.

Link or McGlynn better not even make the final 53

But something is telling me they will.

I just don't want either starting. No lineman from last year's oline (except Castonzo) should be starting imo

Back to the old "experience wins" philosophy.  Link and McGlynn will most likely make the team.  McGlynn and Satele are probably going to be starters.  At least at the beginning of the system.

I'm with you, I'd love to have upgrades for all three of those guys.  Satele may have just been battling injuries because we know he's played better.  I think we've seen the best we're going to get out of the other two.

There are a few guys on the roster that I'm hoping will surprise us, Ijalana at the top of the list.  But it's possible that Anderson, Cleary, and even RG330 can provide decent depth.  Plus the two draft picks, who we hope are future starters.

Except for the uncertainty at backup LT, I think it's possible that this could be one of the best and deepest O-Lines we've had in 10 years.

Link or McGlynn better not even make the final 53

But something is telling me they will.

I just don't want either starting. No lineman from last year's oline (except Castonzo) should be starting imo

Link will be here TK.....guys that play 16 games in the NFL at 3 different positions tend to stick....he was solid as a LG with Shipley at center....and was improved at RT after a horrific 2011.

McGlynn is what I call a pads star.  He shows leadership to the younger guys, but when  the pads go on he ends up on his 'bootie.'  He is my least favorite lineman including the awful rookie center from Purdue.... Shmeig???  Tony Hills?  Where is Brother Seth Olsen when ya need him:)  :funny:

I fear that Ijalana is yet another player who could have been a good player if not for injuries.  He has a lot to bounce back from and I think he'll never be that same player that filled in for AC.  (He looked bad in pass pro because he'd practiced at RT and hadn't yet faced NFL talent, but I remember being impressed with his run blocking.)  Anyway, I couldn't help but notice that from the photos, Justin Anderson seemed to be playing RT at OTAs.  He's not an LT prospect, but I'm excited for any additional back-up OT prospect at this point in time...

photos from colts.com.

05/14/2013.

1st string: Castonzo-Thomas-Satele-McGlynn-Cherilus.

2nd string: Sowell-Reitz-Holmes-Thornton-Anderson.

3rd string: Cleary-Griffin-Schmeig-Linkenbach-Ziemba.

06/13/2013.

2nd string: Cleary-Reitz-Holmes-Thornton-Sowell.

3rd string: Anderson-Griffin-Schmeig-Linkenbach-Ziemba.

photos from colts.com.

05/14/2013.

06/13/2013.

Interesting that Link is always with the third unit. It's early, but that doesn't bode well for him.

photos from colts.com.

05/14/2013.

06/13/2013.

Good stuff, though I was hoping Satele might not be starting. Still plenty of time before the season starts. 

Is there any updates on Ijalana's status?

Not really.  There's an article on StampedeBlue that repeats the quote Pagano said about him.  He said the kid is snakebit with the injuries, and he's working hard to get healthy.  It sounds like they're giving him every chance to make the team.

But if he can't participate in non contact, no pads drills, is there a chance he'll be healthy enough to start practice in about six weeks?  I'm pulling for him, he has great potential.  But that doesn't matter if you can't get on the field.

Not really.  There's an article on StampedeBlue that repeats the quote Pagano said about him.  He said the kid is snakebit with the injuries, and he's working hard to get healthy.  It sounds like they're giving him every chance to make the team.

But if he can't participate in non contact, no pads drills, is there a chance he'll be healthy enough to start practice in about six weeks?  I'm pulling for him, he has great potential.  But that doesn't matter if you can't get on the field.

He might not be healthy enough to play at the start of camp, but that's what the PUP list is for. He could get an extra 12 weeks there.

PUP count against our 53?

He would count against the 90 man roster; that was actually the point of expanding the rosters to 90, to keep teams from having to manipulate the preseason roster. 

He would NOT count against the 53 man roster.

I just hope someone beats out McGlynn. The only thing he did ok was backup center (except for the few botched snaps) 

He must be more focused as a center. (Has to be right?)  He DID look decent at center, and was pointing out LBs...making line calls...You are right Lolly! :thmup:

He would count against the 90 man roster; that was actually the point of expanding the rosters to 90, to keep teams from having to manipulate the preseason roster. 

He would NOT count against the 53 man roster.

Is there a limit to the number of players you're allowed to put on PuP? I won't be surprised if Bradshaw and Boyett both start out there.

Is there a limit to the number of players you're allowed to put on PuP? I won't be surprised if Bradshaw and Boyett both start out there.

Not as far as I know. But players on PUP count against your 90 man preseason roster. It wouldn't surprise me if we have a handful of guys on PUP at the start of training camp. Hopefully Bradshaw is ready, but Boyett is probably a prime candidate. 

Not as far as I know. But players on PUP count against your 90 man preseason roster. It wouldn't surprise me if we have a handful of guys on PUP at the start of training camp. Hopefully Bradshaw is ready, but Boyett is probably a prime candidate. 

Bradshaw's boot is precautionary we believe right?  I guess he was running a little bit on the sidelines even in his boot.  

Unless something happens....this tough bird will be out there against Oakland  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

Bradshaw's boot is precautionary we believe right?  I guess he was running a little bit on the sidelines even in his boot.  

Unless something happens....this tough bird will be out there against Oakland  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

I wouldn't mind if they PuPed him for six weeks. Given his history, he's going to be hurt sometime during the season. So if you shorten his season, his chance of being hurt lessens.

I'd rather have him healthy at the end of the season.

I wouldn't mind if they PuPed him for six weeks. Given his history, he's going to be hurt sometime during the season. So if you shorten his season, his chance of being hurt lessens.

I agree Smonroe after thinking about it a little more.  I guess I was selfish to see what he has in store :)

I read in the Star he may indeed end up on PUP...so it MAY happen.

He ought to be ready to practice sometime during camp. I'd rather see him ready to contribute sooner, and give him a more manageable workload.