Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

colts minicamp

CR91

I left about 6:45 but there were a bunch of position drills in each corner of the field. Some 11 on 11 plays and then some 7 on 7.

Some observations, Luck made some nice throws to Reggie in 11 on 11 drills. One early for about a 50 yard TD over Bethea. I even saw a flea flicker pass and some reverses to DHB who looks really fast.

Landry had a few breakups but also got pulled aside once or twice by Pagano. Luck didn't look as sharp in 7 on 7 and even had a pick 6 from Toler.

Lot's of checkdown passes to the running backs.

Fleener caught everything thrown to him and Whalen made some tough catches in traffic.

That and Josh Chapman is very very large.

Checkdowns, sound like Stanford.

Luck's accuracy is still off?

Checkdowns but by in large most of the passes seemed like the deep vertical routes from last year so we may infact be getting a bit of a hybrid.

Luck looked accurate for the most part. The coverage was good though and the receivers other than Reggie had a tough time getting separation, Toler was everywhere.

Luck looked accurate for the most part. The coverage was good though and the receivers other than Reggie had a tough time getting separation, Toler was everywhere.

I know it's been said before(it's only camp) but I'm really starting to warm up to Toler. Secondary could really be a positive for us this year.

Is it Training Camp yet???

seen where Werner was there, did they get all of their draft picks signed?

Everyone is signed except Werner....

I'd say roughly 40-50 percent of the first round is signed....

Werner will probably be signed by July1, I'd guess.     Camp isn't until July 27.

Lots of time......

George Bremer @gmbremer 2h
Greg Toler added to his offseason interception total with a pick of a Luck overthrow to Wayne #Colts

LaRon Landry made his presence felt again with an outstanding blitz that would have resulted in a sack of Luck in live action #Colts 

The touchdown grab was one of several nice plays today for Whalen, who also took an interception away from CB Greg Toler earlier. #Colts

Andrew Luck threw a 68-yard TD to Reggie Wayne, 63 yards to Whalen on the near INT by Toler and 30 yards to Coby Fleener. #Colts

Griff Whalen snatching interceptions away now? Give a man his former OC and he turns into a monster? I see what's going on here

lmao

Kevin Bowen @KBowenColts 3h
Whalen ended the practice with a leaping fade pass for a touchdown over rookie cornerback Dax Swanson.

Had a friend who was there saw it live said Whalen was the most impressive player there, was very quick in and out of his breaks reminded him of a faster Welker. I didn't think he would make it because of all the slot WR's we had but it looks like he's a lock to make it.

man toler is ballin.

Yep.  My two observations from attending mini camp today are, first, that the starting 4 DB's on this team are incredible.  That's going to make it a whole lot easier for the pass rushers to get to the QB.  Landry blitzed several times, too.  There were back to back plays where he would have KILLED Luck, had he been allowed to make contact.

Second, when Kerwynn Williams cuts, it almost broke my ankles, sitting in the stands.  The first time I saw him do it he was running to the right and I thought that he had lost his balance and was falling over to the right, then he planted his right foot and immediately snapped back upright, changing direction.  He was in complete control the whole time.  It just about gave me whiplash.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.

Had a friend who was there saw it live said Whalen was the most impressive player there, was very quick in and out of his breaks reminded him of a faster Welker.

Whalen looked very good, but he's nowhere the top end speed of Welker.  He is very, very quick, though.

Had a good time while there. One thing me and my friend did notice while the players were giving out autographs is some people are wayyyyyy to old to be doing that. Saw one guy squeeze/shove past everyone just to get a Luck autograph and all I could do is laugh. Leave that stuff to the kids/teenagers/young adults  :lol:

One other thing, Pagano yelling at receivers when they drop the ball might be the funniest thing I've ever seen him do.

Had a good time while there. One thing me and my friend did notice while the players were giving out autographs is some people are wayyyyyy to old to be doing that. Saw one guy squeeze/shove past everyone just to get a Luck autograph and all I could do is laugh. Leave that stuff to the kids/teenagers/young adults :lol:

Why can't someone of any age enjoy getting an athletes autograph

Why can't someone of any age enjoy getting an athletes autograph

Because it's silly seeing a grown man shove people and little kids out of the way for an autograph. I know not everyone does that, but this guy had me laughing it was like he tunnel visioned and we were all road blocks in his way. It'd be nice to think we could all behave when trying to get an autograph, but there's always gonna be those select few. 

I hope Whalen makes it. I drove up from Louisville with my three kids. We were a little late so we missed the autograph stuff. But Whalen was by us after practice and my 8 year old got his autograph. Now his favorite Colts are Luck, Wayne, and Whalen!

I agree with the other observations. Toler should prove to be a great addition.

I spent all day there, and here are a few things I noticed.

- Our offense today was a mixed bag of run plays, checkdowns, and vertical attack. But I was most suprised by the amount of vertical passing. With all this talk of changing our offense, we took numerous down the field shots. But of course, it is just June, and it is just practice.

- Coby Fleener is being targeted as the deep threat pretty often. He had several touchdown catches of over 30 yards today.

- Bradshaw was wearing a protective boot and did not participate.

- Most of the so called "mistakes" or "hiccups" during the practice like incomplete passes were merely a result of the players playing at "mini-camp speed." It's only June, they do not want to hurt themselves or put their bodies at risk, so certain plays that would be made in the regular season just are not going to be completed this early.

- Reggie is clearly the number one target. He was the only offensive player that was on the field for every snap for the first team offense.

- I don't think that there is a clear number 2 behind Reggie, however. DHB and Hilton had almost a 50/50 split of the first team reps.

- Coby is playing mostly as an offensive weapon, where as Dwayne Allen is in on most running plays or plays where the TE is required to pass protect.

- As far as our RB platoon goes, Ballard looked great all around, Brown looked really good too, and Kerwynn Williams is FAST AND EXPLOSIVE. I know we will have to eventually make a decision on which RB's to keep, and it seems like it will be tough, but after watching today (Delone Carter did not participate as far as I know), I would be a happy camper if we kept Bradshaw, Ballard, Brown, and Williams.

- Griff Whalen looked like a STUD. The guy made plays ALL DAY. He can be our next Austin Collie.

- They look to be using DHB in a number of unique ways, such as end-arounds and screen plays. He was consistent, speedy, and used his size well today.

- Hasselbeck and Chandler both had good showings.

- LaVon Brazil seems to be maturing as well. He made a number of impact plays.

- Most importantly, even though there were obvious moments of serious competition today, the guys were smiling, in good spirits, and had a ton of fun.

Gonna be a great season!

Because it's silly seeing a grown man shove people and little kids out of the way for an autograph. I know not everyone does that, but this guy had me laughing it was like he tunnel visioned and we were all road blocks in his way. It'd be nice to think we could all behave when trying to get an autograph, but there's always gonna be those select few.

I understand that lol I thought you just meant they couldn't have an autograph haha

Had a good time . Luck was pretty good most of the day with a couple mistakes mixed in. He did have a terrible overthrow on a short route near the sideline to Wayne that got picked by Toler and returned for a TD.  He also should have been picked off a second time by Toler on a deep route but Toler lost it and Whalen took it from him for a TD. The long TD to Wayne probably should have been knocked down by Bethea. It appeared Bethea did not try too hard to prevent the completion. The completion happened right in front of me and i think in a real game Bethea prevents the catch.

Whalen looked like one of the best players on the field today.  I was really excited about the kid last year in pre season before he got hurt. Nothing today changed any of that. Gets open all the time and catches everything.

Fleener looked improved. Caught a nice TD from Luck. Can't remember him dropping any today.

The secondary looks like they can be very very good. Toler looks fantastic and Landry was all over the place. Had at least one sack too that i remember. Butler had some plays with nice coverage as well.

DHB is very fast. Had a nice run on a end around play. Don't remember any drops either and he caught the ball in traffic a couple times.

The offense is going to have a bunch of different personell groupings and formations. I did see Hasslebeck run a read option type play. Lots of checkdowns and screen plays to the running backs as well.

Overall a pretty good practice. Still mostly vanilla but nice to at least get a peek at things before they start to get more serious in about another month.

I had a blast there today, that catch by G.Whalen was great and when he caught the corner pass during drills and the TD catch from A.Luck to C.Fleener, I hope we see alot this year from C.Fleener, and the INT of a A.Luck over thrown pass by G.Toler and hope to see him get a bunch of INT during the season. My first time seeing A.Luck in person and my thought was after only seeing him huge on the TV was "I'd thought he'd be aaaa Bigger" :}LOL I'm a big guy and he just looked so huge on TV when he just slightly bigger than me, and I saw J.Chapman and I said the same thing as with A.Luck, I thought J.Chapman was V.Wilfork size. Oh well we'll see how he does. I drained the batteries in my camera with pics and video. Again it was a blast  :}

Go Colt!!!!!

Ps. Up north where I live there is no Rally's and it's a treat to stop and get a couple Big Bufords on the way home. MMMMM GOOOOOD!!!!!

...  Landry blitzed several times, too.  There were back to back plays where he would have KILLED Luck, had he been allowed to make contact.

bringing back not so pleasant memories of last years colts-jets game :)

what does that say about the new o-line?

nobody said anything about the o-line play.. any insights?

bringing back not so pleasant memories of last years colts-jets game :)

what does that say about the new o-line?

nobody said anything about the o-line play.. any insights?

Due to the lack of physicality, the offensive and defensive lines only tried a little bit. They clearly were protecting themselves. We wont be able to get a good feel for the line until training camp most likely.